Commander in Chief

Sub Enchanted Evening (1)

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 10, 2006 on ABC

• It has so much promise, but we're dying inside. I want to watch this show for the drama inside the white house, not military crises. That's what I have E-Ring for. Not to mention, the writers don't seem to have access to the internet for fact checking.

3.4
    These are just the problems that I caught while watching. The time codes are from the start of episode.

1. A submarine named the Seattle would not be an Ohio class SSGN, like stated. It would be a Los Angeles class attack submarine. The Ohio class subs are all named after states, like battleships, and more to the point, there are NO Ohio class SSGN’s. The Los Angeles class are all named after cities.There are 2 Ohio class boats that are currently being retrofitted to become SSGN’s, but they will be renamed and reclassed upon their recomissioning. The first of those, the former USS Ohio (SSBN 726), completed her sea trials on December 19, 2005, and is awaiting recommissioning and redeployment to the fleet. (7 minutes)
    2. No submarine we own is the size of two football fields. The largest submarine in existence, the Russian Typhoon class, is close to being a LONG as two football fields (564 feet), but at 75 feet wide, this is a terrible comparison. Our largest subs, the Ohio class SSBN’s are 560 feel long and 36 feet wide at their largest point. (12 minutes)
    3. Scrubbers do NOT take oxygen from seawater. They remove carbon dioxide from the air. (19 minutes)
    4. Overall, there is no way that we would ask the Chinese for assistance is rescuing the crew of one of our submarines. The Chinese, first of all, would not agree to go down to one of our subs without getting aboard. Look at what they did to the EP-3 that they bumped back in April of 2001. Next, the concessions that we offered would be nowhere near what is necessary for this kind of cooperation. Anything that we offered would have to revolve around Taiwan, and there’s no way that we’d be willing to make concessions where Taiwan is concerned.

So, in other words, the show is still long on drama, and short on the facts. Why, oh why can't they focus on some internal crises, and develop a character or two? Come on, this is killing me. You have a great premise, but the writing is just subpar. Hire a freaking fact checker, will you? At least the errors will be a little less obvious.