Community

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 23, 2010 on NBC

7.4
  • Decent, necessary followup for Britta and Jeff

Highlights:

- Seeing everyone's room at the beginning

- Betty White nailing Starburns with a blowgun

- Annie punching Jeff in the face

- Troy tweets everything Pierce says, calling it, "A White Man Says"

- Abed staging a "wedding episode" for Britta and Jeff with a George Clooney impersonator

- Chang's heckling in Anthropology class, and his confession about joining the study group. "Is there any room is this pocket for a little spare Chang?"

- Betty White taking Jeff down when he is armed only with respect

• A wrap up of the finale from last season. Not a great episode but needed none the less.

Well after an amazing first season I was really curious to see how this show would move into it's second season. So far the first episode was good but compared to other gems from the first season, and featuring the venerable Betty White, it really did fail to live up to my expectations. The whole soap opera thing is really boring for me, but I was happy to see that this episode was hopefully bringing all that to an end. After the finale to last season, we did need a wrap up episode to tie things up. Next weeks episode will be the real judge of things to come for this show.
    On a side note, I picked to watch this show over The Big Bang Theory, so I do have faith that all will turn out for the better. Hopefully Senor Chang will return to his glorious form from last season al la Modern Warfare. Betty White was great tho. It was worth it to watch this episode just for her.
  • Welcome back Greendale College

Welcome back Greendale College gang and fans. This is the premiere for Community's second season. This episode was trying to deal with everything that happened in the season finale with the love quadrangle (Britta/Jeff/Slater and Annie) and Troy living with Pierce. There was a lot of crazy meta self-referential humor that stretched the limits of fourth wall. I cannot possibly fit everything into this small section of all the things I caught (Troy wearing Spiderman PJs/#DonaldGlover4spiderman, twitter name dropping like crazy), suffice to say it was dealt with everything better than I thought. For fans who complain the relationship-py stuff was taking over, despite there was a lot of kissing going on in this ep, it was not all that it appeared. Community does what it does best, take sitcom conventions with misleads and does something else with them, being very meta and self-aware, and paying tribute to movie and pop culture references. For those who didn't like this episode much, I have a feeling the rest of the show is not necessarily indicative of the remaining season, it was just a way to jam as much as possible into the premiere and tie up loose ends. I love this show very much.