Community

Applied Anthropology and Culinary Arts

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2011 on NBC

7.1
  • Shirley delivers her baby during the Anthropology final

In a way, this episode of Community was completely different than last week's; last week was another example of the show indulging in lampooning a certain genre of television or parodying something.. this episode is another one of those character driven normal-type episodes, and I would say it was equally as good as last week's. We got everybody jumping in on the fun, even if some were better than others.

It's the Anthropology final and Professor Duncan (who has killed it this year as far as I'm concerned) is slacking off during it until the Dean pops in, claiming he'll be sitting in on it. Soon after this, Shirley goes into labor, and a riot outside prevents her from getting to the hospital. Therefore, we get the typical "deliver a baby outside of the hospital" theme that every show seems to do... but this is Community, so it never feels lame. We get Chang explaining that "Chang babies are notorious for coming out early.. they grow fast by feeding on the mother's insides" and we also get Britta trying to help but failing after she gets a look at the cervix. Meanwhile, Troy and Abed realize their handshake has lost its meaning after Pierce pays them a thousand dollars to use it.

It's a weird episode, with a callback that episode where apparently Abed delivered a baby in the background of the episode despite it never being referenced. But it works so well because the writing is top-notch, and we get great input from Dean Pelton, who has raised the bar for the supporting cast and especially Duncan, who steals the show with just a few lines.. all around, a very good episode.
MNT