A Community Community
NBC (ended 2014)

ADVANCED GUEST-STAR THEORY

... Community has had a few problems over the years, but the series has never had any issues when it comes to securing awesome guest stars (which have included Walton Goggins, Josh Holloway, Taran Killam, and Vince Gilligan, just to name a few). Now we can add B.J. Novak's name to that list. The former Office star will cameo in the Season 5 finale, which is a two-parter and is set to air in April. There aren't many details available on the role, but it's being described as "a TV star in a sexy new series." Anyone wanna place bets on what this role might entail? And don't forget, new episodes of Community return February 27; apparently NBC is airing something called the Winter Olympics for the next few weeks. [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... Someone call Ichabod Crane, because we just got one step closer to the apocalypse. World-famous traitor LeBron James is officially entering the world of TV with a new comedy titled Survivor's Remorse, which as of today is being fast-tracked at Starz for a fall premiere. The series, about two men from the streets of Philadelphia who rise to fame in the basketball world and then must deal with the consequences and hardships of being famous, is produced by James along with Tom Werner, Mike O'Malley, Maverick Carter, and Paul Wachter. [Starz via press release]

... CBS has announced a multi-platform syndication deal for its Tom Selleck cop drama Blue Bloods. Soon you'll be able to find the first four seasons on Hulu Plus, as well as WGN America, which will be the exclusive basic cable home for the series. That's two CBS shows in a row for WGN America, which also recently acquired the off-network rights to Elementary. But back to Blue Bloods: As for the show's exclusive broadcast rights, you can expect to see it on Ion—which has signed up for weekday, primetime syndication duty—beginning in fall 2014. [CBS via press release]

... Discovery has lined up its next outrageous stunt. Following in the very careful footsteps of Nik Wallenda—who walked across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope last year—is Joby Ogwyn, who will jump off Mount Everest. Ogwyn is the world record holder for quickest ascent up Mount Everest (nine-and-a-half hours!), which he first climbed at age 24 to become the youngest American ever to do so. Now he'll be the first to attempt a "wing suit flight" off the summit. Considering that making the trip from my couch to my kitchen is a daily workout for me, all of this sounds very exhausting. Ogwyn will be equipped with cameras so we can all simultaneously vomit as he falls/flies/descends 10,000 feet at speeds of up to 150 mph. The stunt will air live on Discovery in May. [Discovery via press release]

... ABC has ordered Astronaut Wives Club, from Gossip Girl's Stephanie Savage, straight to series. A period drama set in the 1960s, Astronaut Wifes Club centers on a group of women whose husbands are astronauts (obviously). It's based on Lily Koppel’s novel of the same name, and will be produced by Savage and Josh Schwartz (The O.C.), as well as Len Goldstein (Hart of Dixie) and Michael London (Milk). [TV Line]

... CBS has scored the game-winning touchdown. Translation: Thursday Night Football is coming to the network this fall. That's all very exciting for CBS, but if you're not an NFL fan you might be asking yourself what this means for Thursday-night CBS shows like The Big Bang Theory and Elementary once CBS has eight NFL games to contend with in the fall. It's a good question, but no decisions have been made yet. My guess, at least regarding The Big Bang Theory, is that it'll either premiere late, in November, or make the move back to Mondays where it began so many years ago. Now that How I Met Your Mother is signing off in March, CBS is going to need a strong comedy to anchor Monday nights, and 2 Broke Girls ain't gonna cut it. [TV Line]

... I don't often ask that TV make sense, but CBS has crossed the line by airing a two-hour basketball special called Summer Dreams in March. My brain has enough difficulty understanding that basketball is being played well into June and now CBS has the audacity to air the special, which follows Michael Carter-Williams of the Philadelphia 76ers and Shane Larkin of the Dallas Mavericks at the NBA's official Summer League, on Saturday, March 15 at 8pm. I quit. [CBS via press release]

... Remember the Golden Globes? Of course you do, they weren't even a month ago. Plus, Aaron Paul was robbed so you're probably not going to forget about them for at least another six years, depending on how long you hold grudges (watch your back, Voight). Anyway, the Hollywood Foreign Press and Dick Clark Productions have already announced the date for next year's Golden Globe Awards, so I'm telling you know because I know you won't forget: Sunday, January 11, 2015. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will also be back as hosts. [NBC via press release]

PILOT WATCH

... CBS has given pilot orders to two as-yet-untitled projects. The first is from Sarah Timberman (Elementary, Justified) and Carl Beverly (also Elementary, also Justified) and is executive-produced by John Cusack, who starred in the greatest movie of 1989 Say Anything (and a lot of other things, but mostly Say Anything). The project explores the world of Wall Street because the entertainment world has found success in that setting once or twice and will continue to use it until we collectively rebel. 

The second project is from David Marshall Grant (Brothers & Sisters, Smash) and is described as being a soapy medical drama because the entertainment world found success in that setting once or twice and will continue to use it until we collectively rebel. Based on the Israeli show Ran Quartet, the project follows the lives of quadruplets who were raised on a reality show. And we all know how those kids turn out. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Hollywood lady legend Sissy Spacek has been cast as the mother of Texas football legend Kyle Chandler and freak/geek Linda Cardellini in Netflix's new drama from the creators of Damages. The series, which is still untitled, explores the lives of a group of siblings and all the dark secrets that come out when the black sheep of the family (played by The Dark Knight Rise' Ben Mendelsohn) returns home. [Deadline]

... Hank Azaria has joined the cast of Showtime's Ray Donovan for Season 2. Quick question: Didn't we all agree to forget about Ray Donovan or was that just a pact I made with myself? Oh well, doesn't matter. Azaria will play James Cochran, an FBI agent who gets all up in Ray's (Liev Schreiber) grill and becomes a pain in the ass. Sherilyn Fenn (Magic CityGilmore Girls) has also joined the cast, as Jame's wife Holly. [Showtime via press release]

... Tim didn't put this in News Briefs the other day, but I feel the need to mention it now because for the first time ever (not true) an actual teenager is going to play a teenager on TV. And to make the news even better, this miracle will happen on Teen Wolf, where the actual word "teen" is in the title of the show. Aside from a few months in 2011, when the series first premiered, there hasn't ever been an actual teen on Teen Wolf. Dylan Sprayberry (Man of Steel) will play Beacon Hills freshman Liam in Season 4. He's described as being arrogant but having a big heart. So he'll probably be dead by the end of the season. [TV Line]

... Judy Davis is backing out of 24: Live Another Day for personal reasons, just a month after being cast in the role of Margot, the widow of a terrorist who wasn't too innocent herself. Casting is currently underway to replace her. My vote goes to Lena Olin. [THR]

... If you haven't yet watched last night's episode of The Originals, and you wish to remain unspoiled as to what happened in it, you should stop reading immediately. As for the rest of you, hi! Daniella Pineda, who played the now-late Sophie Deveraux on the supernatural drama, has already lined up her next gig. She's joining the cast of NBC's Odyssey, a drama following three families who are torn apart when members of each one are pulled into the same international military conspiracy. Pineda will play Molly, a reporter for Time magazine and a love interest for Jake Robinson's (The Carrie Diaries) Harrison Wolcott, an anti-capitalist who's protesting the G8 summit in New York. Pushing Daisies' Anna Friel is also set to star. [TV Line]

... Eric Lange (Lost) has joined the cast of Once Upon a Time as Prince Leopold, a.k.a. the younger version of Snow White's father King Leopold. Just how many recurring characters are on this show now? Like, at least 25, right? [E! Online]

... *puts on body armor* Yippee! Revenge's Barry Sloane (Aiden) is exploring pilot offers, which could mean that if the series is renewed for Season 4, Aiden won't be returning. My dislike of Aiden is well documented, but I don't dislike Sloane, so if Aiden does bite the dust, I hope Sloan ends up on something awesome. [TV Line]

... Lance Reddick (Fringe, The Wire) is continuing to make the guest-star rounds (he just appeared on American Horror Story and Intelligence). Next, he'll be starring opposite James Spader on The Blacklist as "The Cowboy," one of Red's assets. [TV Guide

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/17/2014

Season 5 : Episode 13

35 Comments
Follow this Show
Members