If you thought the greatest thing that was going to happen to you today was finding that uneaten bagel on the sidewalk, you were WRONG. Because today is the day Community fans have been waiting for since NBC unceremoniously canceled the series in May after five seasons. Yahoo has announced that it's picked up the fan favorite series for Season 6, keeping the familiar #sixseasonsandamovie campaign alive.
After talks with Hulu broke down last week (Hulu has the exclusive online streaming rights to Community's first five seasons), the show's Season 6 prospects weren't looking too good, but Jeff must have given one hell of a passionate speech to the folks at Yahoo, because Season 6 is now officially happening.
WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR:
– There will be 13 all-new episodes (!!!)
– The episodes will air this fall on Yahoo Screen
– Stars Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Ken Jeong, and Jim Rash will all return
– Series creator and showrunner Dan Harmon will also return alongside executive producers Russ Krasnoff, Gary Foster, and Chris McKenna
– The characters might be able to swear!
WHAT WE STILL DON'T KNOW:
– Anything about Yahoo Screen
– Anything about whether or not the "and a movie" part of #sixseasonsandamovie will happen
– Whether or not this new format will lend itself to more creative freedom (and it's arguable that Community already had the most creative freedom of any network comedy on television), or whether a relaxation in network standards will ultimately become a burden for the series. Remember how excited we all were for Arrested Development on Netflix and then it arrived and it sometimes it felt like a chore to get through an episode? Let's hope that Jeff and the rest of the Greendale Gang don't follow in those footsteps.
Are you excited for Season 6 of Community?
AIRED ON 6/2/2015
Season 6 : Episode 13