Community S05E10: "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"

There was no avoiding it. Because Season 2's "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" is still my favorite Community episode to date (review here), the bar for the show's return to the realm of dice and Abed's imagineering, "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons," was set pretty high; to count as a successful follow-up to its excellent predecessor, the episode would need to make a clutch savings throw. Did it triumph? In a word, no; it was fine, not amazing. But even if I'd never seen the O.G. version, I'd still be saying that "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" was an okay-but-not-great episode of Community, as it relied on gimmick over substance.

The main problem for me was that all "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" really did was remind us of how much better its forerunner was. It sucks to have to compare the two, but c'mon, if a show is going to do TWO Dungeons & Dragons episodes, we can't not put them side-by-side. The Season 2 masterpiece that was "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" captured the essence of the game's pen-and-paper-and-Mt.-Dew-and-why-didn't-anyone-ask-me-to-prom? existence with an extra layer of sound effects and camera movement that was enhanced by a simple environment; it also made each character's character uniquely important to the adventure (and yes, it really felt like an adventure), and gave them all a moment in the spotlight. Britta communicated with gnome waiters, Annie seduced an elf maiden, and so on. "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" sucked viewers into the game itself because it made D&D feel participatory and fresh, which was critical to making it work. 

"Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" made me feel like I was watching other people play Dungeons & Dragons, which is one of the most boring things a person can be subject to in real life (being part of the game is an entirely different thing). And many characters (and their characters) seemed like they were just tagging along rather than actually contributing to the quest. Did Chang do anything, really? Did Annie do anything, really? Did Britta anything beyond having the ranger skill required to translate a sky spider's submission behavior? Seriously, I'm asking. I can't remember. But I don't think they had much to do, which put the episode's focus more on the game itself than on the characters.

And the purpose of the game, and therefore the episode, just didn't carry the same stakes. Yes, it's odd to say a D&D game has stakes, but in "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons," Fat Neil's IRL life was potentially on the line—and Jeff was to blame, because he was the one who'd coined the "Fat Neil" nickname that threw Neil into suicidal depression. In "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons," Hickey was upset that his son (guest-star David Cross) hadn't invited Hickey to Hickey's grandson's birthday party. That's not cool, but the situation didn't have the weight or importance of role-playing to save Neil. In "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons," Neil's situation provided the emotional core that gave the game a greater sense of purpose; in "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons," the game was just a gimmick.  

And while we're at it, I'm just going to come right out and say that I'm not a fan of Hickey's character so far; I'm especially not thrilled with the way Season 5 is trying to make him an equally important member of the study group. Maybe it's because I feel so connected to the original gang and I'm overly protective of the Greendale 7, maybe it's because Hickey isn't as funny as everyone else. Maybe I just miss Troy and Pierce and I don't think Hickey is doing a good job of replacing them. I had a similar problem with the way Community pushed Hickey on us in "Bondage and Male Sexuality," when he and Abed were cordoned off in his office. It isn't Jonathan Banks, because I love that dude. Maybe I don't like old people? No, I liked Pierce. There's just something missing with Hickey, and to hinge the game on his happiness when he clearly wasn't the best dad himself took a lot of oomph out of the game.

But "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" did have some fantastic moments, the best one being Hickey's interrogation of the two hobgoblins. Abed's dual performance was great, and that's when this episode felt most like the one that came before it (one hobgoblin did not like the other's best man speech!). It also happened to be the only time I really laughed out loud. 

Other than that, the Dean and Jeff's relationship as father and son was a good joke that recurred throughout most of the episode and culminated in a vaguely homoerotic impaling on Jeff's blade. The Dean did not mind. And Annie as Hector the Well-Endowed "spraying" everyone was hilarious. Someone give Annie a penis already, because she obviously knows how to use it better than I know how to use mine.  

Community's strength is in its originality, so any time it revisits an idea, it'd better do a damn good job because the element of surprise is no longer there, but extra scrutiny is. I liked the first paintball episode better than the others, I liked the first clip show more than the second, and I liked the original D&D outing better than this one. That's not to say that the second rounds weren't good, but the first times are almost always better. 

STUDY NOTES

– Once again, Community shoves Shirley away as fast as it can. R.I.P. Crouton.

– "Lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt!" Viral video LARPer, you've been immortalized again! 

– I give the end tag a grade of "Meh." Abed hosting D&D tea parties with stuffed animals is what happens when Troy isn't around. 

– Hitfix's Alan Sepinwall interviewed Dan Harmon recently, and Harmon mentioned that he and his fellow writers struggled with the script for this episode, so much so that they were shooting pages that'd just been written. 

109 Comments
Comments (109)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Not a great episode, but not terrible. You're being too hard on Jonathan Banks, though. He's been a fine addition because he's so different from the rest of the gang. It's a nice clashing of personalities. Like when he called Abed on his bullcrap a couple episodes ago.
Flag
"I shove Britta's face in a puddle." So great!
Flag
dan harmon proves he is unfunny again.
season 4 had same level of quality
Flag
Meh.
It had a feeling of Community, and also it didn't. Kind of weird. Was not like the first D&D.
Hickey is just not right for Community. He is not a character that should be in that show. As a result, he is kinda useless.
Chang is still limited to nothing. Usually characters come from "background" to "having stories". He did the oposite. From a teacher with an actual role, to student with still a role, to now being here to say a couple of funny lines per episode.
Community lost too much comic this year. Pierce and Troy, only replaced by a not funny Hickey, and leaving Abed absolutely not funny because Troy is not here anymore.
Flag
And by the way, I agree 100% on the part between the dean's picture and the poll. Except than I think that the Neil thing in season 2 was better than Hickey's not because it had more stakes, but because it felt more Community. It felt lighter despited not really being lighter. Hickey's was just a sentimental and emotional reason, a thing you could see in a lot of TV shows and you don't want in Community.

Other than that, Hickey being useless in this show, a lot of characters having nothing to do, the feeling to watch people play and not feeling caught into an adventure and all that, I completely agree.
Flag
Call me crazy, but I thought Abed's tea party D&D at the end was about the funniest part of the whole episode.
Flag
Mmm found it a bit funny but also... a lot boring :-( Next ep please?
Flag
N/o, but every review I read here is so pessimistic. It's like you don't even want to give it a chance anymore, it's not the same as community in the beginning so it sucks.
Flag
Community does GI Joe: A Real American Hero, the classic '80s cartoon, and here are pics!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/21/new-images-from-communitys-gi-joe-episode

I think I need to change my pants!
Flag
"It was fine, not amazing", so so very true. Ok, not great. I dunno that it relied on gimmick over substance though, I'd say they were on even footing, but that's not really a great place to be for quality.
That said, your review is right on target, but I don't agree with your take on Buzz Hickey. Prof Hickey is a different dynamic, but no less important. This episode did a poor job delving into the character, but that doesn't mean the character himself is wrong, even the episode you felt should be wiped from canon had some interesting and unique character beats for him. What's missing from Hickey is that he just stays with this group despite common sense telling him not to, but that's the same thing that brought him to Greendale in the first place.

As for David Cross, not only was that an element of total miscast for Buzz's kid, but he just was written so flat and shallow, expecting Cross to carry the weight of the character entirely. Waste of talents.
Flag
Abed is extremely interesting since Troy left. It's like he got forced out of a bubble. It's subtle, but there's something going on there.

I always like Dan Harmon Community episodes even when they're not the best of the best, like this one. I agree with whoever said Chang was great, even though he had almost no lines.
Flag
I shudder at the realization that so many here most likely preferred season 4. There have been some great, not to mention very original, episodes this year. There just no pleasing "fans" it seems.
Flag
Everything before the opening title was great, including Abed's quip on hubris and bettering your past acts that seemed to come from Harmon himself......but then everything failed to materialise and when it was over I was severely disappointed that we had not even come close to touching the first D&D episode.

One of the weakest episodes in a long time I thought.
Flag
There were a few good or great moments but too far and few between.
Flag
So far I am, at best, mildly satisfied with Harmon's return this season. I expected more. Was I wrong to do so?
Flag
We all expected more from Harmon's return. We were right to EXPECT it, but we were sure wrong in thinking we WOULD get it. It's been, overall, a disappointment -- to me, at least.

Really hit or miss.
Flag
-- "Once again, Community shoves Shirley away as fast as it can."

Really? When else have they done that? Seems she's been the focus of quite a few episodes. She was absolutely queen of the MeowMeowBeans episode.
Flag
I agree. She had a big part in the previous episode, about selling the text books they found. They have to even things out a little.
Flag
The actress recently guest starred on a Psych episode. Is it possible she was written out, early to accomodate that?
Flag
First of all, the MVPs of the episode were Chang and the Dean. Chang especially was brilliant with the few lines he had. Second of all, did I miss the last few minutes of the show, or did they just leave us dangling with nothing but a soft emotional lesson?!? This is not Community style - dangling is for suckers! I wanted the necromancer, dammit! I enjoyed the fact that the cast was together again, and the flow was better, but Harmon still has a way to go before steadying the ship after the last 2-3 eps.
Flag
Okay. So I've been a very vocal supporter of Hickey, over the course of this season, but I'm starting to have my doubts about the character. It's not that I don't like him or anything. It's just that I have no idea what the writers are trying to accomplish with his character.

First, I love Bank's portrayal of Hickey; however, I feel like Hickey lacks the emotional connection to the group that all the other characters share (e.g. Jeff, Britta, Annie, Abed, Shirley, Troy, Pierce, and even the Dean all seemed like outcasts that had found family in each other... while Hickey doesn't have that connection, or comes off as not wanting to be included in the group dynamic). Now, this can easily be explained by the fact that Hickey was only recently introduced to the group, and as a replacement for Pierce no less (lets be real, that's what he is). So he's obviously going to need his own character-centric storylines to create that emotional bond shared amongst the group... which is where I start to have a problem with his character.

Besides "Introduction to Teaching", "Bondage and Beta Male Sexuality", and "Analysis of Cork-Based Networking" (this episode being the prime example, with how the group literally had his back at the end) Hickey hasn't had any storylines that actually feel like he's connecting on a deeper level with the group. I mean, "Geothermal Escapism" might have had him saving Britta, briefly, but that scene lasted for all of one minute. Or something? His storyline with Jeff, Shirley, Britta, and Chang in "VCR Maintenance and Educational Publishing" was pretty one-note. And now "Advanced Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" has come along, and while it was a Hickey-centric episode, I feel like the entire group had nothing, NOTHING, to do with the episode besides act as extras.

So, how's Hickey supposed to become a necessary part of the group/family dynamic if even the episodes focusing on him mute his interaction with the rest of the group? Or make the rest of the group caricatures of themselves that lessen the interaction he DOES have with them? Once again, though, take out the first three episodes I mentioned, because I feel like the writers started inserting Hickey into the group pretty well in those ones... only to screw the pooch with some of the other episodes.
More+
Flag
Only while watching this episode did I realize what a fringe comedy Community is. That's how slow I am. It took me 94 episodes to figure out.

No wonder the ratings are low and people rather watch family comedies that deal with mundane every day issues. One has to have a slightly odd sense of humour to enjoy Community. How many people can watch an episode like this and enjoy it? I can, but I belong to a tiny minority, and this episode finally made me realize why this minority is so small.
Flag
Like all the eps this year, I liked it a lot. It is every fringe, no doubt, but that's okay to have a few of these like this out there. The day it stops is the day it becomes Big Bang Theory. That would bring great joy to many here. The rest of us would die a little inside. Season 4 had some great stuff, but it didn't have the subtle moments or really inside references. It was far more broad. I did love the Thanksgiving Day and Haunted House episodes though.
Flag
There's a reason why Hollywood delivers the same thing over and over... it's what the largest market segments want. them to do. Hollywood follows the formula because the formulas work.

Critics and a few others are so familiar with the formulas that formula shows are unsatisfying... this is why critics and ticket-buyers disagree one whether or nor, say, films featuring Adam Sandler should be seen, or television dramas featuring renegade submarine captains.

Community is brilliant and (usually) highly original, often gleefully subverting the formulas. That's great for people who want to transcend the formula... not so much by people who don't. The genius is they usually managed to transcend a formula while working entirely within it (say, Lupine Urology).
Flag
I disagree to a large extent. This episode and this season has been all kinds of great. Maybe not to the level of Season 2, but still there have been some of the best episodes in this season.

Of course, this episode wouldn't reach the height of the first episode, it was the best episode in my opinion, but even so, that didn't diminish how fun this episode was. You can't compare them otherwise you'll set yourself up for failure. Look at this episode as its own outing, and it was great.

Hickey is also a nice replacement for Pierce. I'd probably take Pierce over Hickey, but Hickey has been pretty damn funny and I've enjoyed his interactions with the study group in each episode.
Flag
This episode, like most episodes this season, was just a resounding meh. I do not envy Dan Harmon and what he's had to do trying to step back in to helming Community, but I don't really see how this show can go on like this. Doing parody episode after parody episode with retreadings of previous ideas sprinkled throughout just isn't gonna cut it.

Hickey is a dud as a character, and I would argue it is Johnathon Banks's fault. The man just doesn't have a good grasp on how to be very funny. He is incredibly one-note, and just does his grumpy sourpuss routine over and over. He's a poor replacement for Pierce, and an abysmal replacement for Troy, two characters whose actors could make me laugh effortlessly.
Flag
Come on! Hilary Rodham Kitten!! The end tag won just for that
Flag
It was the fact that he was treating the tea party as an RPG that cinched it.
Flag
The end tag was all kinds of awesome.
Flag
I actually like the episode and I truly like Hickey, and I like that he hangs out with the study group. Yes, I do miss Troy and may be I even miss Pierce, but they 're gone and Hickey and this new Chang aren't bad additions to the group.
And since I'm not a big fan of the original D&D episode (I do like, I just think that Community has a lot of better episodes than that one) I like this episode too.
Flag
Tim, I don't know but sometimes you over analyze Community until it lost all of its charms
Flag
I really like Hickey! I like how he's gruff and serious on the outside, but not so much on the inside. He's not a joke the way Pierce was. I miss Pierce a bit, but I don't think the character was ever written very well.

I agree that this D&D episode wasn't as good as the first one, but I liked it.
Flag
I agree. I never liked Pierce's character. Chevy was hilarious in his day, but that was a LOOOONNG time ago.
Flag
I'm still not sure what the original conflict between David Cross and Hickey was, but overall the episode wasn't bad. I liked the Neil background nod.
Flag
The original conflict was that Hickey, Sr. spent too much time at work and not enough with family.
Flag
You haven't been liking Hickey? He's been one of the few bright spots for me this season. He's really had one bad episode, I think, and that was the "Bondage and Male Sexuality" episode you mentioned. But otherwise, I think he's been great, and not just because I like Jonathan Banks.

This episode was okay. I laughed a couple times, mostly with Hickey and the Dean. I'd agree that the main cast were basically useless. I liked David Cross, but there wasn't much substance to the character and considering how funny Cross can be, I thought he'd have some better material -- he pretty much played a straight-forward prissy son.

Oddly, I didn't laugh at Annie's two well-endowed jokes ("I spray all over them!" and "I shove it up them!"); it just felt a bit forced, I guess (much like the rest of the episode, too, I suppose).
Flag
I loved Chang ' Times Square line.
Flag
I couldn't stop laughing!
Flag
David Cross did a fine job, I loved how he was an expert and tried to go against Abed a little. Also how seriously he was taking it.

Just like last time, Abed went too deep into the role as dungeon master. But this time instead of using an off-the-shelf story he put together a massive binder to cover everything. It's a good thing too, because David Cross was ready to take advantage of the lack of scripting and leave.

I liked it when Hickey finally got into the game and started taking it seriously. His interrogation of the hobgoblins was a hoot as was watching him just get into the role. Unlike others, I enjoy his presence this season. He's no season-1 Pierce but he's fine.

Annie playing the well-endowed again was a chuckle, as were her various movements and innuendo during the fight scenes. Some blink-and-you'll-miss-it stuff (besides the spraying motion). Plus she decided to go through Crouton's things :-)

The Dean... well he was over-the-top as usual but I liked it. Particularly the hug towards the end.

I was hoping to see Chang more into the role, as the first time around he made it seem he was SUPER into D&D including wearing makeup. But this time it was more like "Kevin" was playing.

Everyone else? Meh. Only how Britta got brainwashed to easily and how Shirley just left with a remark that they let her die. Jeff did surprisingly little.
More+
Flag
OK, I hate to say it, but Community needs to stop basically remaking episodes. If they can't come up with new ideas, the show needs to end. This screwing up old, awesome episodes is bringing me down, man.
Flag
Towards the end of the episode I was thinking to myself that Hickey needs to go and they need to turn Chang back into a nemesis. Having Jeff as a "teacher" seems to have been wasted, why isn't he having to teach the group and mark their work and critique them and ultimately cause a load of tension between them? Chang needs to be rejected by the group for some reason so that he can once again be on the outside looking in (and some times throwing in a grenade).
This was not a good episode, it will be quickly forgotten and it was a waste of a great guest star (much like all of them in Analysis of Cork-Based Networking).
Flag
"why isn't he having to teach the group "
Because none of them are students, perhaps?
Flag
Annie, Britta, Troy and Shirley are all students, so yeah, he should be teaching them, it would be funny.
Flag
Annie, Britta, Troy, and Shirley are not students. They all graduated. Pierce was the only one who didn't graduate, and well, he's not taking any more classes, either.
Flag
I thought that they re-enrolled after the premiere. Meanwhile, Pierce did graduate in the S4 finale.
Flag
More Chang, less Hickey.
Flag
I feel like it's hard to do bits with"Dungeons and Dragons" without D&D being the punchline. I think Dan Harmon's "Dead Ale Wives" bit and the first "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" are brilliant and the only other success, I think, is in The It Crowd 's "Jen the Fredo". Shows like The Big Bang Theory don't encapsulate certain aspects that hold true but can still be funny: My favorite line in "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" is "And as they described themselves walking, so did Abed confirm that they walked".
Flag
OMG I forgot about "Jen the Fredo". That's true, though. The IT Crowd and Community are the only shows to do D&D well
Flag
Like always, everyone forgets about Freaks and Geeks. That is the OG when it comes to doing D&D well on television.
Flag
Oh yeah, Carlos the Dwarf!
Flag
This episode was just full of fun moments and I enjoyed it a lot. However by Community's standards it was not an elite episode and I agree with most of what Tim said. Too many characters were at play. Mixing the D&D characters up gave us very little chance of following the story. Speaking of the story are we allowed to roll our eyes that it was such a rip off of The Hobbit Pt 2? Or is that supposed to be a knowing wink to the audience. I loved having David Cross playing almost the straight man. Annie and Abed kept up their excellent game form - I would play any game with either of them any day. I love games that get way too competitive. And I liked parts of the D&D experience but every moment still reminded me of the first D&D episode (one of my top 5 episodes) and how it was better in almost every way.

Btw what was the second clip show episode? I don't remember that at all.
Flag
RE: Second clip episode.. Me either... Was it a 4th season episode I blacked out from my memory?
Flag
Holy crap! Are we sharing a blackout? Has my life become the plot of FastForward??

...but seriously. I don't remember that second clip-episode either.
Flag
I believe Tim is referring to "Curriculum Unavailable", the second episode with clips that have things we haven't seen in them.
Flag
Clip shows are, by their very nature, not memorable.
Flag
They are on Community, where the clips are from things that the audience never saw in the first place.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
"factually wrong"

I think I just sprained my eyes from rolling them too hard.
Flag
It was a good episode for me - laughed a lot, and smiled the rest of the time.

If anything, it showcased why Hickey is a much better curmudgeon old man than Pierce ever was, and why Jim Rash should win the Emmy for Best Supporting Actor... you know, if the Emmys wasn't a joke and actually gave awards to the shows & actors that deserved them.

Two reasons why, regardless of what you claimed, you ultimately have to find this episode funny:

Abed: Was everyone takeaway from last time that we can use D&D to reprogram brains? Nobody feel that we almost cause a suicide?
Jeff: We prevented one! Fat... bulous Neal felt like a nobody, and, thanks to us, he's still out there, doing this and that in the background.

*With Neal in the background.*

And then, this happen:

*While Annie s modulated dude voice screamed "I SPRAY ALL OVER THEM!!!"*

Sorry, but, if you didn't laugh at that, you're watching the wrong sitcom.
Flag
sorry, but as much asI like to agree with you, I really think Pierce is a much stronger and funnier character than Hickey is.
Flag
"Sorry, but, if you didn't laugh at that, you're watching the wrong sitcom."
I hate comments like that, snarky assumptions that you are universally right and everybody who has a differing opinion is not just wrong, but following the wrong beliefs. It's a common thing to find on the internet, it drags in lots of likes and very few people actually calling it out for being a polarizing opinion masquerading as an axiom. I personally found the former to be lightly funny and the latter to be strained, does that mean I'm watching half the wrong sitcom? That I'm "watching it wrong", as many internet denizens might say? No, it means that two fans of the show may have two differing opinions. So instead of inviting more people into the fold, comments like yours are driving them away.
Flag
Wow... what I thought was a throwaway comment really got to you, hey?

Dude, I meant no offense, even though you clearly felt offended. When I wrote it, it was probably 3 in the morning, and I was thinking about watching Family Guy for the first time in years last Sunday, and not laughing at all for the entire episode.

These jokes were funnier than what most sitcoms on TV right now can come up with... that's what I meant.
Flag
It's a very common internet thing, it grinds my gears, as Peter Griffin once said. Anything mistaking subjective opinion for objective fact, but especially such an "I'm right and if you're not, there's something wrong with you" comment that's done in a casual manner. Like I said, it's not you specifically, you can find that same type of comment all over the place.
Flag
I don't get why some peeps didn't like this ep more - but then again I think a lot of yall are trying to re-live seasons 1-3 and that's just not where the show is now. Season 5 is different - but it's still better, smarter, and funnier than 99% of the comedies on tv - but yes, it is different now. Anyways - seriously - the whole ep was pretty awesome - i would have liked a bit more from the ending (then again Abed said he wasn't here to provide us with an ending) - but it was all around hilarious, thoughtful, touching, wacky, and very entertaining. Everything I want from a Community episode. I'd give it a 9.4/10 and the first AD&D ep a 9.8/10.
Flag
I loved the first D&D episode but this one was just not that good. Maybe it's because I've never played the game before, I'm not sure. The thing about having so many high concept episodes is that you really move out of reach of the people who don't understand what you're referencing.
Flag
There was nothing in the episode that called for an actual understanding of D&D beyond "people pretend to be what they are not in fantasy scenarios vaguely similar to Tolkien's Middle Earth". and "chance events are determined by rolling dice, but not the wimpy six-sided dice you're used to."

On the other hand, why wasn't Abed concerned about dark timelines created by the rolling of all those dice?
Flag
I imagine rolling the dice to decide how a fictional game plays out is one thing.

Rolling the dice to determine what they do in "real life" is another.

So rolling for D&D damage is fine, rolling to see which movie they go to is another.
Flag
i've never played d&d and i got it no problem. if you really don't understand it check out the wikipedia page for it or something - it's not rocket science -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons but yeah i can see how this ep would be more appealing to those of us who like role playing type games - i prefer them on pc/console though like Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star as opposed to table top. it's really quite fun.
Flag
No you're right. It wasn't that I didn't get it. The episode just wasn't very good lol.
Flag
Hickey and the Dean were the best parts - the rest was meh
Flag
I have to agree with Grumpyclown. Hicks and Dean made the episode. The rest, well they just kind of stood there. Especially Britta.
Flag
That's good characterization. They didn't want to be there, and their only interest was to bring Hickey Sr. together with Hickey Jr., which was messed up in the opening minutes by the intentional sabotage by Jr. So they had no reason to want to play (except for being drawn into Abed's storytelling, that is.)
Flag
I loved the Dean in this episode. From inviting himself to play to being impaled on Jeff's sword when he really just wanted a hug from his "father".
I would have thought Hector the Well-endowed was Troy's character from the last time, but since he wasn't there again, I am thinking it was Jeff's both times, and still funny that Annie ended up being Hector again. The montage of the characters stating and miming what they were doing was not nearly as funny as Annie seducing the wench the last time, but it was fun.
Abed playing with Annie's stuffed animals at the end in a game of Tea was hilarious.
Flag
Hector the well-endowed was originally intended for Troy, but because of the random way the character sheets got handed out, it ended up with Annie.
Flag
My point was Abed made the sheets for certain people and they got mixed around. So if Hector was there the second time and Troy wasn't maybe Abed intended it for Jeff both times
Flag
In "Advanced D&D" Abed actually said he made that one with Troy in mind.
Flag
Or maybe it was meant for Annie the second time, because she had so much fun with it the first time? She DID used to live over a sex-toy store, you recall. Perhaps she's having flashbacks.
Flag
Meh.
Flag
This season has been hit or miss, with more misses than hits. But, I think they did a good job on this one.

[SPOILERS...]

They captured the essence of D&D and how easily one can get sucked into the fantasy of it. And, I thought most of the character interaction was quite good.

I especially thought they finally let Hickey play it realistically. In the past, his participation in the Community antics seemed very out of character. This felt natural to me.

Just a BIT contrived, however, to have father & son be the final two.

My favorite bits were of the Dean and his channeling his crush on Jeff into the father/son bond. And, the sword impaling was great. "Worth it!" LOL.

The epic music and sound effects were great at creating a sense of being there.

Thumbs up for me.
Flag
Wasn't what I was hoping for but it was still fun.
Flag
Alot of it has to to with my hatred for D&D, but I couldn't crack a smile during the entire show...I did like seeing David Cross though
Flag
I tried hating inanimate objects one time, but I ended up feeling really, REALLY fucking stupid.
Flag
Ok. Although that's really nothing but being nit-picky for the sake of coming off as defensive, fair 'nuff. Maybe hatred for the game itself is a misplaced overstatement. What I have is a strong & venomous dislike of the D&D player culture for multiple reasons
Flag
So basically, you don't care if your wording is shit because you assume everyone interprets what you mean correctly? Got it, moving on.
Flag
No. I don't really care since it's not really a big deal. In reality, it's not that my wording is actually shit, it's more just that you personally deem my wording as shit because you presumably need more clarity than others in order to infer meaning.

Honestly Dude, I'm not looking to pick a fight or anything but you seem to be getting bent out of shape over nothing
Flag
There you go. It may seem like a small difference, but it's really not.

Example: Pokemon. I love playing new Pokemon games when they come out, but Jesus Christ the Pokemon fan-base sucks. Same thing with D&D.
Flag
I can see where you're coming from...I've been there myself before, but actually, to me it is a small difference. Very few people in the entire world actually hate inanimate objects over what those objects represent to them, So I didn't feel the need to be specifically specific in my post & illustrate that I actually meant D&D players & culture. I'm simply prone to trust the intelligence & wisdom of others to understand the spirit of what I said in lieu of having to literally spell out the letter of it, Y'know?

Flag
The episode was "meh" overall, in my opinion... but it was funny watching Hickey getting into D&D. The highlight being his interrogation of the hobgoblins. lol

Jim Rash was awesome as usual too.
Flag
Yeah, I enjoyed the interrogation, too.

I guess, I did have a bit of a problem with Abed making decisions about the success of the interrogation on his own without dice, however.
Flag
Dice control chance events. The hobgoblins rolling over on each other wasn't chance, it was the psychology of the non-player-characters...
Flag
Really? The Dungeon Master gets to decide such things on the fly? Just based on his own whim and a couple of paragraphs of character description?
Flag
Yep. That's how it works.

However, that being said, Abed doesn't strike me as the kind of D&D player to take that route. I would think he'd be almost obsessed with the die roll.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members