Community S05E11: "G.I. Jeff" 

If you know anything about Dan Harmon, and this includes his pre-Community Channel 101 days, then you know that he is a crazy person. Like, genuinely deranged. Nutso. It's his cuckoo-clock brain that makes him such a talent and a rare commodity in "the business," the kind of man who fights for his art and gives network executives migraines with his stubbornness and commitment to his vision. But it also produces the creative madness that leads to episodes like "G.I. Jeff," one of the most bizarre outings of a show that routinely redefines bizarre on the network comedy front. 

Opinions on "G.I. Jeff" are going to vary wildly, and here's mine: I liked it! Ta-da! But I also don't think it entirely worked. I always wonder how these types of episodes ("Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" and "Intro to Felt Surrogacy" are in the same category) are conceived. Do the writers start by deciding on the gimmick—for lack of a better word—or do they come up with the story first and then choose a gimmick that fits? In this case I hope the gimmick came first, because "G.I. Jeff"'s link to Community's reality was the weakest part of the episode. 

Burdened with the fear of turning *gasp* 40, Jeff chugged a ton of scotch and downed a few Korean youth pills, fell into a slumber that required a hospital visit, and then dreamed up an animated world where he and the study group existed inside the G.I. Joe cartoons of the '80s. Compare that setup to, say, "Geotherman Escapism," where the story—Abed's struggle to process Troy's impending exit—clearly preceded the wackiness—a schoolwide game of Hot Lava in the style of Mad Max. I actually found myself hoping that "G.I. Jeff" wouldn't make any attempt to connect to Community's real life; I would've preferred it to have it be an entirely insane, standalone departure from the rest of the series that just said, "Screw it, we're doing G.I. Joe with no explanation!" instead of Jeff tripping balls because he was sad about being on this planet for a fourth decade. I know Community tried to say something about getting older and hanging on to youth, but it felt more like a last-ditch attempt to link the animated world to the real world instead of an organic and emotional explanation for the crazyballs shit we'd just seen. 

But while the ending didn't quite work out for me because I am a heartless bastard, the rest of the episode did—even thought it was basically an extended Robot Chicken sketch. Growing up, I always raced home from school (I walked up a hill, dammit!) to watch G.I. Joe and those other crappy cartoons, so the nostalgia hit me and it hit hard. Big ups to whoever did the animation in "G.I. Jeff"; they did a stellar job of reproducing the era's simple sketching, and the in-jokes cracked me up. I loved the gag about the lip-synching errors and conserving the budget by repeating animations, and the running joke about characters not killing each other never got old. And Destro! He died!

And how about those commercial breaks? They were outstanding, devolving from playful interludes into mayhem that Jeff could lucidly control. I don't know if there was a deeper meaning to them, hough. Abed—err, I mean Fourth Wall—talked about the three layers of reality, with the toy commercial layer separating the cartoon layer from the non-cartoon layer, but unless I missed something, it was all just gobbledygook that gave Community an excuse to make some very funny fake '80s ads.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about "G.I. Jeff," but that doesn't mean it's all I have to SHOW! Let's salute the episode's characters, so they can live on the internet forever and ever! 

Well, what did you think of "G.I. Jeff"? Who was your favorite character?

STUDY NOTES

– Leave Smash Mouth alone!

– I liked how Jeff figured out Overkill's ninja trick. "It's the one in the middle, right?" *pew pew pew*

– I waited all episode for an "And knowing is half the battle!" PSA and we got one with the end tag. Phew! I would have lost my mind if we didn't get one of those.

124 Comments
Comments (124)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I rather agree it would have worked better as a stand alone crazy. I didn't feel "Jeff has a crisis about turning 40" was enough justification to bring that into the real world. Didn't have the emotional depth of Abed's Christmas fantasy.
Flag
Staff
Crap ep.
Flag
Season 5 is really lame. There are so many recycled ideas and themes. I think Dan Harmon needs to be fired again.
Flag
Yo Joe!!!! those commercials were hilarious and I need to get me one of those Tight Ship action figures.
Flag
Having never watched GI Joe, I guess I missed out on the nostalgia aspect here, and maybe that's why I thought it was seriously dull. Honestly, I haven't found most of this season better than the last.
Flag
Well I did enjoy it, rather nostalgic... and did make me remember that nobody died in that cartoon LOL!

Of course it was definitely not as good as Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" or "Intro to Felt Surrogacy"
Flag
Tight ship. Priceless.
Flag
I took it for 5 minutes and 39 seconds. Couldn't go further.
Flag
wuss
Flag
Actually, it needs to be renewed in order to get 100 episodes or over and then get renewed for it seventh season and finish its series with the same number of seasons as Parks And Recreation.
Flag
Hi everyone!
I have a really problem with the end of the episode...it might sound stupid, but still...
First, I wanna tell you that I love Community. It's my favorite comedy show on TV and I want just as bad as the other fan that we can make it to #SixSeasonsAndAMovie
BUT
I think it's over.
The end of the show, with Jess on the hospital bed who just told the joke about how old was Hickey's friend and everyone start laughing? EVERYONE START LAUGHING?
I don't know about you but that moment felt pretty fake to me. Fake up to the point that it felt like Community became one of those sitcom that it usually mocks. I felt like Jeff was going to wake up again, as we might be in another layer of his mind...but no. That was geniune Community.
I hope that the show will be back and that it would make it up to our dream, but I afraid that it just went "full circle" on us: becoming "A" tv show and not "THE" (meta) tv show that we all know and love...
Flag
Sorry but you missed the point. They ended it that way on purpose. It was an over-the-top corny joke that makes everyone at the end laugh a little too long. This is a standard trope of 80s shows and particularly GI Joe. I didn't particularly love this episode, but don't give up on the genius that is Community just yet. Dan Harmon's back to set things right! :P
Flag
yeah I miss all the sharp humour from the previous seasons like the 'that's racist' dialogue and 'I see your value now.' I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong before - I'm glad Harmon is back, Troy and Pierce were never amongst my favourite characters, I actually like Hickey and I'm glad that we are seeing more of Duncan. I think you nailed it with your point about it becoming a tv show instead of THE meta tv show. It's hard to criticise this show because then it sounds like I've become a hater. I'm not. I love this show. I've recommended it to all my friends. It is (was) one of my favourites. But I think maybe they've done everything they can do, and yes maybe it is over. I would rather see it end on high note then get progressively worse.
:-(
Flag
I have no prior exposure to G.I. Joe whatsoever (is it one guy or a team, how does it make sense as a team?) so any subtle homages were lost on me. However I did enjoy this episode as something different and entertaining and you could see the Community genius in pushing in the format to extremes. I do have to agree that the link to reality was very forced and ultimately unsuccessful. Of all the characters on the show (ever, although Hickey would be close) Jeff is the least likely to create a fantasy realm, he's far too cynical, so this idea was doomed from the start. They had to either find a better way or as Tim suggested ignore reality and do a purely escapist episode, although I'd prefer they not ignore reality entirely because I think the great strength of Community has been to find ways to incorporate surreal elements while making them seem the most natural and organic choices. The comparison between this and Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas, its clear predecessor, is undeniable (especially when AUC is my favourite Community episode). It was a good episode but not a great one.
Flag
Yeah, you're right about why the connect to reality didn't really work. Abed's Christmas felt a lot more organic (even if I'm not big on that ep either), as he's much more likely to dream that up as part of his mental break. I'm glad they did try though, because I think I'd rather them try then just go off and do whatever they'd like for a gimmick. I think the limitations of the live-action/community college set-up keep Harmon grounded in a way he needs to be, lest we get Rick and Morty level absurdity in a show that's better with a dose of heart.
Flag
I enjoyed this one but I hope the final two episodes of Season 5 are straight forward, they have really piled on the parodies this season.
Flag
I love Community and It's crazy episodes, but this one felt off to me. I didn't dislike it, I especially loved the fourth wall gag, britta's codename being Buzz kill, Jeff classifying Shirley as simply "3 Kids". But overall it was.. Lacking something? This whole season has since Troy was written off. But I'd still like a final sixth season.
Flag
Ok. I thought this was gonna be weird for me since i don't like the idea of animated episodes. And while it wasn't far from that it wasn't as bad as i thought. Still prefer non animated episodes. I mean i'd watch an animation or cartoon for what it is but this.. just not doing it for me. Tho i have to say when i look back i may have enjoyed clay-motion ep. more than this one which i usually skip in my Community rewatchings. Anyway, kinda enjoyed this one too, there were some good moments.

-"Look at the rack that i gave you!"
-Those mini-commercials were quite tedious. Except, voice-over's "idk man, seems like you hate it" was funny.
"What clothes did you drew me in?"
-Duncan was funny as animated.
Flag
You're exactly right about the ending "reason" for why the show took place being really weak. But I didn't care in the least. GI JOE is my ultimate childhood cartoon/toy/comic book and I loved this so much. The Cobra Commander jokes were perfect, I loved his Destro eulogy, and when Duke called him out on why he sometimessssss does S's and sometimes doesn't. I loved every minute of the GI JOE world, although I do wish they had a better concept for Shirley than just saying "I have 3 kids" over and over. As usual she receives the least.
Flag
"Major Dick" was the funniest name though, holy shit did I laugh at that one so hard. "Buzzkill" was a close second, but I had already seen it in the marketing materials so it was a chuckle.
Flag
I didn't find it terribly nonsensical, I feel like you missed a few things, Tim.

On Jeff's table are GI Joe figures from his youth, they seem to be part of his birthday suffering (possibly the gift from Pierce, one more torture even after death).

The main kid in the toy ads was young Jeff, he not only says something to connect this in the last ad, but the kid is billed in the credits as "young Jeff".

Jeff's fractured mind is retreating to his childhood and where he wanted to be instead of growing old and disillusioned with his life, and the reality of playing with the toys was the connective tissue from the animation to the real world.

I really liked this episode, it had a lot going for it and I think its gimmick actually enhanced the fact that it did have something to say by switching it up. It also took a lot of loving care to make sure it did a good job with the cartoon material, being authentic and not holding back and using real fonts and film stock look and music and so forth. But the story actually held up for me, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

SBI Animation was billed as the animation studio on this episode, I wonder if they're related to Sunbow who did the original Hasbro cartoons including GI Joe: A Real American Hero, because the animation in this episode was nearly note-perfect - the right kinds of changes and mistakes and even the textures matched up. They even exclusively used a bunch of the vehicles from the original toy line in the animation (except for the Submachopter, which was a custom using existing ARAH parts. Oh dear, I've exposed how much of a huge nerd I am).

The commercials were great too, I got a kick out of the kids voicing the characters' thoughts as if they were playing with the toys. The customs were good except for Annie's Tight Ship which had a horrendous face - way worse than anything GI Joe ARAH would ever do.

It wasn't "Zim Zam", it was "Xim Xam", hence his twin brother "Mix Max", this is a play off of Xamot and Tomax who were basically the same gimmick characters in the original show.

Sleep Apnea was Dan Harmon in animation and voice, that was awesome.

Loved that they got Michael Bell back to voice characters, that was a great touch hearing actors from the original show but especially Bell who rarely gets out there anymore.

Rob Schrab did a fine job of voicing Cobra Commander, what with original voice actor Chris Latta having passed away some time ago. I only think of Schrab from The Sarah Silverman Program because he was fun at that show's Comic Con panel back in the day (man, that was a while back now).

My favorite Joe in this episode was Three Kids, because she mentioned that shit with nearly every sentence the way a cartoon character really would with their gimmick. So many great characters though and done so well. What the hell, Cold Shoulder???
More+
Flag
I kinda wished that JT_kirk would do the reviews for Community not Tim.
Flag
I bet it was "SPI Animation" and thus Sony Pictures, not Sunbow (Sunbow was bought by Sony but kinda dismantled).
Flag
Ok this is coming from a person who has never seen an episode of G.I.Joe but I have to say that I really enjoyed this episode b.c. although I never watched that show there are many other lower budget shows from the 60s-90s that I loved as a kid. I especially loved all the jokes about the reuse of animation, bad lip sinking and the toy commercials were great. The only thing I didn't really like about this episode was the way it started. It just jumped straight into the G.I. Joe episode from the start and that confused me a bit cuz for a second I thought I really missed something but after a while I started enjoying it. By far out of all the character names I think Britta as "Buzzkill" was the best. And I really hope that they release the toys cuz I would totally get them all (even if everything is sold separately)
Flag
Oh forgot to mention this but I loved the fact that they pre-aged the animation which makes it so much more "authentic" making it more like an old 80s cartoon
Flag
I liked it, a lot. I agree that the tie to Greendale was weak, but I do think HAVING a tie was important to the story.

I loved all the things you said. I especially loved the shock and dismay on everyone's face when they realized Jeff had actually killed someone. Too funny.

And, this...

"Seems like a cheap shot"

Abed: "Actually, in terms of animation, it is literally a cheap shot" Hah!

My one big complaint was Hickey's total demeanor in the hospital. I like that they're trying to soften him up and show him starting to bond with the group, but his giddiness and silliness was way too out of character.
Flag
yeah Hickey demeanor in the hospital was my main complaint in an otherwise creative, quirky episode.
Flag
Never seen GI Joe before (I was an 80's child but watched Danger Mouse, Count Duckula and Trap Door instead to name a few) but loved this episode regardless. From the animation style to the never killing anyone I thought it was genius!

Flag
OMG everything was perfect, they nailed it. All the references hit home for me. I was dying of laughter. Dan Harmon is a genius!!! I have a feeling though many younger people won't get the episode. Still amazing piece of work. Community did it again :)
Flag
Meh. The animation was cool but that's the only good thing I can say about this episode. I'm just mostly upset because

1. This was the first episode where I truly felt Troy and Pierce's loss. When they all assembled for the first time I kept waiting for the rest of the group to show up and got incredibly sad when I realized this is all that's left.

2. I feel like Harmon came up with this "Jeff is secretly 40" idea because he doesn't have the balls to even try and make Jeff/Annie a thing. They've been teasing it for five seasons (four if you count Harmon-era only) and they're slowly wasting all the potential. The age gap was no longer an issue now that Annie is 23, so of course they age Jeff up just because. Or at least that's my theory, because I can't make sense of this storyline any other way.

3. The Shirley "I have three kids" joke, if you can even call it that, was incredibly forced and lame. Apparently that's all Shirley is now in the eyes of the writing team.
Flag
He came up with it because Jeff being vain is part of his character. Not because of some romance story. Remember the whole episode when Jeff was afraid he'd die when his doctor ordered a test?
They haven't addressed the Jeff/Annie thing recently IIRC, and for good reasons. I'm good with just keeping that a platonic he's-good-looking-she's-good-looking kind of story.
Flag
for your second point I kind have to agree (although McHale is 42 so aging up Jeff isn't totally out of the question) But I did find it off putting how they made Annie kind of ramble about his age and her looking "shocked" at finding out hes actually 40

your third point I kind of have to disagree with. Since last season Shirley's role on the show has def. grown and I don't find her to still be that and I don't think the writers do either. But since her children is a major topic she constantly brings up I did find it funny that that's what Jeff would call her in his coma dream
Flag
Thanks for sharing the photos of all the GI Joe avatars Tim... One thing though I'm pretty sure that Duncan's character name was spelt X-I-M X-A-M for Ximxam, since his brother's name was Maxmix not Mazmiz. It also ties into the reference to Xamot and Tomax that Duncan represented a bit better overall.

Don't feel bad though I initially thought it was Zimzam too, and even said where's Mizmaz, before the reveal of his brother being Maxmix
Flag
One of their best episodes. Like most people, I too wish they'd just made it a G.I. Joe episode and committed to that.
Flag
This was so hysterically funny and awesome. They even got the subtleties and hired some of the original actors like Michael Bell. Well done.
Flag
This was a really fun episode. I loved those 80s cartoons!
Flag
Episode was hit and miss. Cobra Commander eulogizing Destro was one of the funniest things I've seen on tv this year.
Flag
I laughed so hard! I'm still laughing. You don't think about it but yes GI Joe don't kill. The only downside was the link to reality. Sorry I'm still laughing "we don't go to the bathroom!" the best episode of this season!
Flag
Was that an animated Dan Harmon hitting on animated Annie in the cell? That kinky bastard.
Flag
Also loved the "Dan Harmon Sucks" graffiti in the end tag.
Flag
"Sleep Apnea" is the character, and yeah that was him.
Flag
OMG...That was a great episode I thought. To even put in the real commercials was priceless. When Chang try reading that card, that was funny. I loved this episode.
Flag
Well damn, I pretty much agree with Tim's review here. The main thing I didn't like about the episode was how it tied in with the present-day Jeff Winger and gang. As soon as the episode started as animation, I immediately started worrying about the stupid way in which this would tie in to the show, and kinda hoped that it'd just be a silly standalone without a reason. The reason wasn't too stupid, but it wasn't great either.

And even though I watched and played with GI Joe as a kid, I don't remember the commercials and show too much, so the nostalgia factor was only a small one.

But there were so many jokes in this that I laughed it, that joke-for-joke, this may have been the funniest episode for me this season.

- Cold Shoulder and Placeholder made me cackle like a madman.

- Haha @ Flint's face when Wingman killed Destro.

- Xim-Xam's twin, Mix-Max, screaming in pain while working at a cafe was hilarious.

Oh, and yes, if you look at the end credits, you'll see John Oliver's character's name is spelled Xim-Xam (with Xs, not Zs).
Flag
idk do you think more ppl would complain that it was just a whole GIJoe episode with no connection to the show or how it is now with it being connected to the show as Jeffs dream? For I think more people would complain that it was some weird stand alone episode with no real point to the development of the characters, especially if they aren't a fan of the cartoon
Flag
Yeah, maybe. If the reason for it was worse than Jeff accidentally taking some bad Korean drugs because he was insecure about his age, I honestly think a complete standalone maaaaay have been better.

As I said, it was just a feeling at the beginning of the episode particularly because the episode didn't start with a setup and began right with the animations.

At this point in the season, there really hasn't been anything that's been building up that I'd say is a good reason for this kind of episode. But it ended up being okay... It makes some sense that Jeff might lie about his age and be wary of getting older. It was probably the best possible reason they could come up with, but it still wasn't great. It was still kind of random, and to me, random development isn't much development at all... unless they plan on developing this a bit more in the next few episodes, which I kinda doubt.
Flag
I think that's a fair assessment. If there was a little more back story about Jeff fears of getting older in prior episodes leading up to this one it might have enhanced the episode even more.
Flag
Just thinking about makes me laugh. That was genius!
Flag
Couldn't even watch two minutes of it. But I didn't watch two minutes of the claymation episode either. And I think there was another animated episode a few seasons ago? If so, I didn't watch that either. I just don't like these kinds of episodes, with the animation and stuff.
Flag
how can you say you don't like the animation episodes if you never give them a chance? Animation as format isn't actually a bad thing its like saying black and white movies suck b.c. theyre in black and white
Flag
I just know what I like and don't like. And I didn't say the episodes suck. I just said that it's not my cup of tea, in that I don't like them, but I understand that other people do. I don't mind these episodes, I just don't watch them.

Oh, and not liking black and white movies bc they're in black and white is a valid opinion in my book.

(And not liking something isn't saying it sucks)
Flag
actually I never said that you said this episode "sucks". I was merely saying that you were being harsh on this episode just cause its animated
Flag
Dude lighten up and get your soul back from the old gypsy that cursed you.
Flag
Didn't like it one single bit! I am sorry to say but i haven't been really impressed about season 5 so far. I honestly think its not that much better than season 4 and there i say maybe 4 has been better so far because it had Troy and Pierce. Lets be honest those 2 are a huge loss to this show and it's not the same without them. I think this has got to be the final season of community. I can't see how they can improve the show anymore.
Flag
I thought it would be just okay, because I'm pretty young and where I come from we didn't have G I Joe as a kid's cartoon, but my God I found it amazing.
All the winking jokes (18-49 is valuabe, you know I'm 38 right?) worked for me, and the fake commercials were gold. Easily now a part of my top 10 or maybe even 5 Community episodes.

Flag
I hated GI Joe as a kid, so this episode didn't work for me. The commercial were still funny and Fourth wall's comments too. "Harmon sucks" and the part about boobs were great too. There were some good things in an overall painful piece to watch (for me, at least).
Flag
Since this had so many slams on GI Joe, I'd think hating the original show would make you laugh at loud at this episode. I mean the digs against GI Joe were everywhere.
Flag
Yeah, sure, and those were funny enough. But I really didn't like the visuals.
Flag
Dan Harmon must be somewhere between my age and my little brother's (he's six years younger) because he gets the GI Joe thing, down to the cobra commander's really annoying voice! I had to mute him at the funeral. Aside from the spot on reproduction and the commercials though, I agree that I didn't see a tie-in to the group in reality. It seemed a gimmick in search of an applicable plug, like someone had the idea at one point they would do this, but didn't know how to work it into the mythos of the show and characters. That said: Boobies!
Flag
And I thought I was OCD you couldn't stand a impersonator doing Cobra commanders voice as a joke? Unreal.
Flag
I get what they were going for and I've seen old cartoons so I got it but it was still an overly referential episode, they've been doing their best to alienate people this season it seems, gimmick episodes are nothing new, and they're great once in awhile, but it feels like all we've been getting recently. I never watch GI Joe, so I didn't connect with the material. I wish they would just get back to basics, do away with gimmicks and special episodes for awhile.
Flag
I enjoyed the idea that Jeff would be obsessed with GI Joe, but also couldn't live in a world where they didn't actually kill Cobra members.
The commercials were funny.
The names for their alter egos were as well.
But I prefer an episode like this once in a blue moon. Lately this show has done everything but an episode about going to a community college. So it felt forced.
I believe the writers came up with a gimmick, then wrote the story. And clearly needd to talk to the robot chicken writers, they are funnier in this regard.
The funniest moment for me was when Abed told them he was 38, which I believe is actually close to Danny Pudi's real age. It is one thing to try to lower Joel McHales hairline in animation sequences, but he is looking his age. Abed does not look like a man in his late thirties.
All in all it was an okay episode. the kind they had last year. I laughed a bit, but not enough to want to see it again.
Flag
Yeah he's 35
Flag
Now I know what they should do if they ever decide to make a spin-off of Community.

And I just love the small details in this show, for example:

Flag
As someone who grew up in the 80's and watched, played and breathed GI Joe I gotta say this is probably going to be my fav Community episode ever. It was a great hommage, had Duke and Flint's real voice actors plus Lady Jaye's voice played Scarlet in the ep. The sounds the animation blips, just everything was as perfectly bad as it was back then. Magnificent.

I liked the HARMON SUCKS graffiti in the PSA at the end.
Flag
As a GI Joe cartoon fan when I was a callow ant, It was decently funny. I like how they used artifacts and cold commercials to make fun. It was weird to watch and hear it in HD. Heh.
Flag
Speaking of that, I'm glad I recorded a digital copy of tonight's airing because this is really an episode that needs to be seen in HD.
Flag
:)
Flag
So... I'm not sure what to think.

Did I laugh?
No... I ROFL'd. So from a comedy show point of view - Win.

But I still felt off. Not sure why but it didn't feel like the Community I once loved. Despite how much I laughed it's not on the level of my favourite episodes like Abed's Christmas story.
Flag
Didn't Futurama do this already, including the commercials?
Flag
Futurama did a good take on it, but they used their own animation which didn't look as authentic, they didn't use real brand names or characters, and they didn't do the ads. Also, it was shorter since it was only 1/3rd of that episode.
Flag
They actually had commercial parodies in the segment before it, now that I recall.
Flag
Yup, Princess Purpleberry did 4 ads.
Flag
Not with the commercials, and not as accurately. The writers were older than the fanbase, so the perspective was what the parents thought it was: "ultraviolent."
Flag
This was beautiful. This hit that "classic Community" sweet spot for me.
Flag
I admittedly smiled more than I laughed, but, when I did, I laughed hard.

The jokes about G.I. Joe - the cartoon weren't as funny, because, well, most of them were the same jokes all of us old fans used to tell each other about it. The commercials, though, were GOLDEN. And where the hell was Sgt. Slaughter!?

So, maybe not great, but definitely a very good episode.

... That being said, I have to mention this little tidbit before I'm done here: solely based on where I last saw Danny Pudi, this is a VERY bizarre episode to broadcast right now. Or maybe not - maybe it was Harmon's plan all along. I mean... 'not gonna say more, but, by next week, a whole lot of you will know exactly what I'm taking about here. Or the smartest ones of you lot will figure it out right away - I mean, a hardcore fan of Community would already know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, weird episode to broadcast at this time. But kinda make the whole thing very fun. Alright, I'm done.
Flag
I saw that Danny Pudi thing tonight, too. Pleasant surprise!
Flag
I know, right?
Flag
Just saw that thing too. Awesome way to tie it in or just a major coincidence?
Flag
Dude, you know as well as I do to never underestimate Dan Harmon's ability to crossover with pop-culture references outside of his own show, especially when said references are fanboy-related.

But, regardless if it is an act-of-God or a very well-planed release by Dan, it remains quite a cool tie-in.
Flag
That was great. Even though I didn't watch GI Joe growing up, I still watched a lot of those kinds of cartoons. The parody was 100% spot on.
Flag
Cobra commander was the best in this episode, had me dying
Flag
I thought I was gonna be lost because I didn't watch G.I. Joe growing up, but it was so funny so consistently, any reference I didn't get didn't matter

http://www.untemperedtv.com/?p=760
Flag
An enjoyable albeit bizarre episode--really liked how they actually cast some original voice actors (Michael Bell). The retro commercials were hilarious and could easily imagine Hasbro release a special Community set as a convention exclusive somewhere. Couldn't they have thrown more background characters or Troy in the background? For Joe purists, wished Jeff dreamed more in "Sunbow" and less in "DIC"...
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members