Hallelujah! Get out your datebooks, fellow Human Beings, because NBC has finally announced a return date for Community! The series' ordered-against-all-odds fifth season will debut with back-to-back episodes on Thursday, January 2 from 8pm to 9pm. Then it will remain at 8pm on Thursday, January 9, followed by Parks and Recreation's 100th episode at 8:30pm. Parks and Rec will finish out its sixth season in the 8:30pm time period. I'm going to go ahead and take complete credit for this one—and for the cancellation of Ironside and Welcome to the Familysince I just lamented the recent lack of Community developments in Wednesday's News Briefs. So you're welcome, world!

Also receiving a spot on NBC's midseason schedule is Dick Wolf's new drama Chicago P.D.: Set your DVR for Wednesday, January 8 at 10pm. If you're wondering why Chicago P.D. sounds so familiar, almost like something that's already on the air, it's probably because the show is a spin-off of Chicago Fire, which is also a Dick Wolf series and stars Jason Beghe and Jon Seda in the roles they originated on Chicago Fire, Detective Hank Voight and Detective Antonio Dawson, respectively. Former One Tree Hill star Sophia Bush also stars, as Windy City cop Erin Lindsay. 

Unfortunately, there is still no word on a premiere date for Chicago Water Treatment Plant.

Are you excited for Community's return? Are you planning on watching Chicago P.D.?

69 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You know it's a good day when you get on and the news you were waiting to see is right on the front page. Can't wait for Harmon's epic return to the show, and to see what the next semester has in store for Greendale
Flag
Dick Wolf! Ladies and Gentleman!!..Has the key to getting any series started on NBC..Make it DIFFERENT but the SAME!! and have NBC BIG WIGS ON SPEED DIAL!
Flag
Can't wait for Chicago PD. I'm hooked on Chicago Fire since late last season. It really is a drama show instead of what it was initially perceived which was "Grey's Anatomy: Firehouse edition". Its not, it really has interesting characters. Although Chicago PD will probably be a procedural, I hope they focus more on the drama and characters like Chicago Fire.
Flag
Yes, I'll check out Chicago PD. Ever since binge watching Southland I need my cop drama fix!
Flag
Southland was undoubtedly (in my view) the best cop drama on television. Period. It was authentic, gritty, full of compelling characters, and always knew how to shock the audience--in the right manner. I'll never forget the series' penultimate "Chaos," one of my favorite episodes of any television series. It was that amazing. Anyone attempting to create a standout cop drama should look to Southland as the template. Of course, there are certain things you can't air on NBC that would be permitted on a cable network like TNT, but it wouldn't hurt to parallel such an underrated show.

Anyway, what's the deal with the Chicago PD cast? There are already eleven or twelve people currently listed as series regulars, including Jason Beghe and Jon Seda, who have been implied to be the lead characters. I suppose Dick Wolf and his team plan on making it a fast-paced ensemble, but with so many characters, it's going to be difficult allocating time to each member of the cast. I don't mind procedurals so long as they're character driven. It's not as if every procedural has a Jack McCoy to make each case interesting. Alright, I think I'm done ranting for now. >_>
More +
Flag
Harmon returns, and I was there. Awful writing for Pierce disappears, and I was there. Six seasons and a movie... I will be there.
Flag
I'm all in, if season 5 has little to no Chang (actually...just no Chang at all) in it. That would be nice! The most pointless character that ever was.
Flag
Ken Jeong is a very funny guy, but they don't know what to do with him so they keep throwing awful ideas his way. I liked him in season 1, then they took him overboard and gave his character new jobs and wackier stuff and now it's really frustrating. They acknowledged at Comic-Con that Chang was taken down wrong paths simply to keep Ken Jeong doing something on the show, hopefully that insight will return from the brink of Changsmanship.
Flag
It doesn't really matter, the Death Slot will end this show once and for all, which is a shame.
Flag
I know! I love Community but NBC might as well get out the shovel now and dig its grave. Obviously 8PM on Thursdays didn't work for it before, and nothing's changed. - any comedy going up against TBBT will lose in the ratings. I wish NBC execs would be more strategic with its lineup.
Flag
So frustrating cause TBBT is terrible show!
Flag
SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!
Flag
I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted six seasons and a movie.
Now don't screw it up! Be the Chang we want to see!
Flag
What's next Chicago ER? I'll give the new Chi-Town show a shot as Chicago Fire is already a guilty pleasure of mine, and I do like the city. I just hope the writers do a better job with the series than that setup episode they did for Chicago PD last year on Chicago Fire.

Flag
Chicago Law & Chicago Order.
Flag
Nice. :)
Flag
Add Chicago SVU, Chicago Intent, Chicago: Trial by Jury, Chicago Los Angeles, and let's not forget Chicago UK.
Flag
I am most impressed with "Chicago: Trial by Jury", but all very funny.
Flag
Lol. Chicago UK is my favorite.
Flag
All for Chicago PD I'm ready
Flag
Streets ahead!
Flag
Happy October 19th everyone!
Flag
FINALLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
Flag
We can do it!. Six seasons and a movie!

It's going to happen!
Flag
Cool, Cool, Cool!
Flag
Spin-off for a show only beginning its 2nd season...
NBC is hard up.

If they are going to do a Chicago police drama, it should be something set in the 80's and 90's, which is when drugs, guns, and gangs began taking over the city.
I just hope it's not a procedural...
Flag
Finally!!!
I've been watching Season 1 lately and I hope thats what they go back too.
Flag
I wish Community was going to return sooner, but January is fine. Knowing a date is good.

Now... Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.
Flag
It'll be hard to be worse than season 4, but I'm weary that it will be as good as seasons 1-3.
Flag
Yeah that was my worry too, but when I saw the enthusiasm behind Harmon's return and Starburn's impromptu appearance at SDCC, I started gushing with excitement for this season.
Flag
I just want good, funny eps. for Community. They tend to try way way too hard no matter who's in charge so "good" and "funny" are the key. :D Simple I say.
Flag
Finally! I've been Dean waiting for Community for what feels like forever
Flag
Labored, and "dean" should lowercase in that usage because it's a title, but still funny enough to get a thumb.
Flag
Oh, goody. Community is still up against Big Bang Theory. It's not like that's the the stupidest fucking move you can pull or anything.
Flag
Hopefully NBC has learned their lesson, that no show at 8pm on Thursday can succeed if it's airing on NBC - 30 Rock suffered there, Community suffered there, Parks & Rec suffered there. So it's better to just own the small audience that's loyal than punish that limited success for the network's failures.
Flag
But they can't do that. You have to put something up against TBBT and you have no chance. It's like my Cardinals going against the Niners last week and the Seahawks this week, a wasted effort and foregone conclusion. How 'bout we trade Arson Palmer to Chicago and have Chicago Arson? It would be better than watching him play QB here in Glendale...
Flag
If NBC recognizes that they have no chance against TBBT in overall ratings, then maybe they'd go for small gain wins instead. But you're right, they'll probably just see not winning overall as a total loss and fail to recognize that the problem is with management, not the players.
Flag
It's NBC! They might be stupid, but they're stupid. Not being able to knock out TBBT is a good thing. We like TBBT. Oh well, the Cardinals keep trying, so why shouldn't NBC? Beating a dead horse seems like it's always in style.
Flag
Cool, it gets to compete with American Idol and TBBT!
Flag
-sighs and settles back in to wait for Hannibal news-
Flag
That's a summer show.
Flag
And your name is thribs. Your point? I'm just hoping. And impatient.
Flag
This is wonderful news. This was the show I was most eagerly anticipating but now I'm very excited about Chicago Water Treatment Plant. How could it fail?
Flag
Meh. I'm waiting for Chicago Water and Power and Chicago Garbage.
Flag
Don't forget Chicago Lightning, and its own spinoff Chicago Weather Chasers!
Flag
And the spin-off medical drama, Chicago Hope! Wait...wut?
Flag
what? Sophie Bush on Chicago PD.... I'm interested..... and up.
Flag
Great for Community. Probably one of the best sitcom EVER!!
Flag
Great for Community and dammit I am going to have to watch Chicago PD, Sophia Bush gets me for at least 1 episode. But I dislike pretty much everything Dick Wolfe makes so it is probably only going to be the once.
Flag
I rey lime Dick Wolfs work so of course I am going to watch Chicago PD
Flag
*Really like
Flag
I prefer 'rey lime'.
Flag
Shame about it going up against TBBT, but super excited its back!
Flag
Pop Pop!!!! Finally! Never thought I would say that I'm glad school is back. I just wish they would have put it at 8:30 instead of the usually 8. Up against Big Bang Theory. Now I really don't watch BBT anyway. But its hard to pull in ratings with that power house show on at the same time. Anyways, POP POP!!
Flag
LOL @ Chicago Water Treatment Plant.

I'll probably watch it, but I don't see Chicago P.D. being successful. As shown in the backdoor pilot, it's going to be more of a straight procedural (booooring) rather than a character drama like Chicago Fire.
Flag
That's Chang I can believe in!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members