We all knew this would happen, didn't we? Hulu—the streaming-video site owned by a bunch of mega-corporations that is currently battling Netflix and Amazon (and losing)—is in talks to revive the recently canceled NBC sitcom Community, according to Deadline. Which means that yes, the show's famous #sixseasonsandamovie prophecy might come true after all. 

But before you get too excited or angry or verklempt, let's get one thing out of the way right up front: Community's potential revival is just that—a potential revival. As in, all that's happening right now are discussions, and Season 6 is in no way guaranteed. 

Also, of course Hulu is talking to Sony Pictures TV about saving the low-rated, beloved-by-a-passionate-few (including yours truly) cult comedy. This news should surprise no one—especially since Sony floated the idea of resurrecting the show pretty much as soon as it was axed. 

Point is, we should all temper our hopes. 

And with all that said, OMFGOFMOGMOMFMOGMOFMGMOFOMMFGF! Take my money and my firstborn, Hulu! Community's fifth season proved that the series still had some magic left in its hat, and if any comedy is destined to eke out a sixth season, however miraculously, it's Community. Not only are there are plenty of reasons to be excited about a platform like Hulu and the creativity it could offer a show Community, but even mediocre episodes of Community are better than half the network sitcoms out there. 

However, we also have to remember that once Donald Glover said goodbye to the seriesCommunity did have trouble filling the void left in Troy's wake. And if I were Sony TV, I wouldn't let the Hulu version of Community stray too far from the 22-minute format since there's still syndication money to be had.

All of Community's important "stakeholders," including series creator Dan Harmon, are reportedly into the idea on paper. Again, a sixth season is still a long way from a done deal, but for you Greendale fanatics out there, it's the first step toward hope. 

111 Comments
Comments (118)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
were called the human beings not greendale fanatics
Flag
Is there anything Community's fan base can do to ensure its renewal with Hulu? Letters to Hulu? Letters to sponsors? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Flag
whose do I have to leave dog poo in front of to make sure this happens?
Flag
Make it happen!!
Flag
The near impossible may actually be accomplished! Now the only question is how will a movie get made? Kickstarter? We're probably more likely to get a seventh season than a movie.
Flag
No dancing 'til all the paperworks have been signed and processed.

By the way... someone needs to tell Tim's wife to hide their kid from him. It's a good show, man, but it's just a show.
Flag
Let it die, seriously let it die, the Harmon helmed Season 5 was meh a lot of the time, it worked OK before people started leaving but there's just no mileage left. Hulu should spend the money on something new or a show like Happy Endings which deserved more than it got.
Flag
Or you could just - you know - not watch - while still not wishing to deprive the rest of us a season 6.. just sayin....
Flag
Have a shortened season of everyday life at Greendale. And then have the movie being Troy's comeback.
Flag
As long as Dan Harmon is at the helm, it'll be great! Troy's absence didn't reduce the show for me, really. It was just like real life; people move, life goes on. Everyone adjusted, including Abed. I thought that was an extremely interesting aspect of Season 5, actually.
Flag
Please Hulu make it happen!!! By the way I find it funny on the report on Deadline that it says Sony has a good reputation of keeping shows alive. I disagree, they didn't save Happy Endings. That's a BIG mistake there. Happy Endings needs another season maybe not now (with cast & crew on different projects), But down the road. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie
Flag
:)
Flag
I would love more #Community!
Flag
The only reason Hulu is losing to Netflix and Amazon is beause of the fact that they show commercials. I do think Hulu is ahead of Amazon though.
Flag
Does their paid service show commercials too? If so, that's buuuuullshit.
Flag
Zombie Community.
Flag
I am afraid to even have hope... but I want this deal conditioned on Glover coming back - which is something Harmon at least suggested was a possibility for a season 6.
Flag
No, no no, no no no, no no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Flag
Big lolz
Flag
God please, yes!
Which goat do we have to sacrifice to make it happen?
Flag
I give this comment five meow-meow beanz!
Flag
Don't care for Hulu, but I'd be more than happy with a return of Community.

I'm pessimistic though, mostly because of the way we were teased about Happy Endings possibly being picked up by another network or site, only to be let down. Different circumstances here, but still... pessimistic.

Yes, the show has been inconsistent the last 2 to 3 seasons, but with sitcoms kinda dying, I can't not want more Community, even if it's much shorter seasons.
Flag
Don't remind me about Happy Endings... I still can't believe no one picked up that show. Definitely in the top 10 percentile for tv comedies. Hulu should pick up Community and Happy Endings, then I'll start using Hulu again.
Flag
Just canceled my Hulu subscription and the only chance they have of getting me back is to revive Community.
Flag
Rather see someone pickup Almost Human, Community had it's day already.
Flag
Community is more likely to be revived simply because its cheaper it make.
Flag
yawn.. whatever.. move along..
Flag
If they Community season 6 becomes successful in hulu, then they should do the same thing putting Growing Up Fisher in hulu for its second season.
Flag
I would definitelt sign up for hulu if Community comes out with new season, DO IT HULU!!!
Flag
Please. Please Please Please.
Flag
Not getting excited until it's official. So until then ..
Flag
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!
Flag
If there is no Troy and Pierce then bin it, Season 5 wasn't that great either. Another season would probably just remind of us how good the show was in the early season. I must have watched season 1 and 2 over and over again and lost count!
Flag
or you could just - you know - not watch while not wishing to deny the rest of us a season 6.. just sayin..
Flag
Very true mate, When you love a show, you just want the best for that show and clearly the show wasn't doing as great as it should have done, I am just saying the last 2 season were just ok! I will still watch community any day but sometimes you just have to give up and admit somethings may have ran their normal course.
Flag
i hear ya and in some ways agree - but like others have said even a hit or miss season of Community is better than most any other sitcom out there.. #sixseasonsandamovie
Flag
I agree completely. If Two And A Half Men can get through 12 seasons (apparently 12 will be the last, God willing) then Community deserves more than it has ever gotten!
Flag

Please make this happen people!
Flag
I've come to terms with the crushing despair of Community's cancellation so I'm not worried about false hope, even the possibility of a renewal is enthusing me.
Flag
I NEED a sixth season, because then all that would be left is possibly a kickstarter movie. This NEEDS to happen.
Flag
Please please please please please
Flag
Please, Hulu, fill the empty void in my soul.
Flag
Excited yet cautious comment.
Flag
Don't, just don't even screw with us, Hulu. Hulu is co-owned by NBC, they're just doing this to keep Netflix and Amazon Prime from pouncing all over the show. Sony would be wise to get away from Hulu, there's a lot of problems taking the series there like ad revenue splits and subscription splits and ownership rights - all that has to be dealt with by not one but THREE different asshat networks - NBC, ABC, and Fox - who own the online portal. This wouldn't be a coup if Hulu got Community, it'd be NBC pulling a fast one.

Plus, everybody in Greendale got killed by that asteroid.

Would I watch it on Hulu? Probably, despite my utter disdain for that particular outlet. Would I *pay* for it on Hulu? That's a whore of a different color, I'm split and might very well wait for the home media release to buy it rather than pay money AND be forced to watch ads (I don't own the show on home media in any sense right now).
Flag
i will gladly pay to watch a season 6 of Community and sit through ads.. more Community is totally worth it without question IMO...
Flag
oh hell yes - i was wondering why this hadn't already happened - this seems the PERFECT solution - put season 6 on Hulu+ and i will gladly pay for the service - something i have been unwilling to do up until now since you still have to watch commercials - but for Community - like i said - oh hell yes! also - that guy who Troy went on his sailing trip with.. levar somthing... (i'm just kidding i love Levar Burton) well he managed to reach his goal and raise over $1 million (almost 1.5 now) in less than a day on kickstarter to bring back and expand Reading Rainbow - and there are still 33 days left if anyone wants to donate -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh
Flag
woops forgot to add that levar's kickstarter video is a great tribute to Community and Troy's reaction to seeing levar burton.. there's even a cool guest star in it.. :x
Flag
I'm starting to get an October 19 feeling in my heart.
Flag
Could this finally be good karma for all those times I didn't punch random strangers?
Flag
Fine, I'm trying not to get excited at all... no smile on my face, no happy thoughts, no thinking "Could this be happening?"
Damn, already shouting "Yes!" and jumping up and down with a stupid grin on my face... such good news to start the day (even if is just discussion time).
Flag
I think it is the time to let this show go and RIP, we have to accept that and move on....
Flag
You don't wanna watch, you don't have to watch.

Don't rain on my parade, though.
Flag
LOOOOOOOOOOL
Flag
my thoughts exactly!
Flag
If it does get another "season" it could only be 6 episodes long. So I wouldn't expect too much.
Flag
I might actually prefer that kind of length, considering the inconsistency the last 2-3 seasons. If it's only about 6 episodes, I'd have a better time believing all 6 will be of good quality, hehe.
Flag
First off, anyone who thinks it was just seasons 4-5 that were hit-or-miss had to go back and watch the first three. Community has always been hit-or-miss. Going to 6 episodes wouldn't guarantee they're quality. That assumes we only get weaker episodes because attention is focused on the bigger ones. I don't think that's true at all. Some of Community's best episodes have been low budget. We get weak episodes because the show takes changes, and the nature of taking changes is that sometimes things don't pan out.
Flag
I. Don't. Care. more Community is always a welcome occurrence to me! cause after that.. you know.. there's that movie thing.. woohoo...
Flag
132 more minutes of Community? I wouldn't complain.
Flag
It would be nice, but I can't see the stars signing on for this. They're ready to move on. It would end up being a Meatballs II, with stories featuring Leonard and Vicky.
Flag
I imagine it would be a side gig and they'd all sign on, maybe even Troy. Short season, wouldn't have to film during the normal broadcast season. I can't imagine it would be anyone's main job. Maybe they'd do it all over Christmas break like Childrens Hospital.
Flag
i can pretty much guarantee you that if Dan Harmon comes back, the cast will too. i wouldn't be surprised if gillian jacobs even had such a clause written into her new contract for next season of Girls...
Flag
If they are going to do it they need to get the ball rolling ASAP. The longer they wait the more likely it is that actors and writers begin to find work else where and they can't afford to lose a single charcater in the main cast.
Flag
I would love it if it got revived however not being from the States I cant watch it on Hulu which sucks. You know what I would be happy if it was just one episode b.c right now the series finale was weak (especially compared to previous seasons)
Flag
WHat can I do to help make "Community" season 6 a reality?!?!?
Flag
why is this happening? it really wasnt that good after season 2
Flag
Or, for those of us in reality, season 3 was the peak.
Flag
yeah like around there
Flag
Because there's a whole lot of people who don't agree with that?

Just a wild guess.
Flag
i just dont see the point, even if you like comunity the quality got really low after some seasons and troy left. i just hope it gets good episodes when whoever picks it up. on another note i think on-demand providers are a perfect fit for this show and it could even thrive and get multiple seasons
Flag
Yeah, I think the common sentiment -- and I'd agree with it -- is that while season 4 was terrible and season 5 was so-so, they're still better than other comedies out there. Sitcoms are a dying breed, a bad Community episode is still comparitively good.
Flag
The quality of seasons 4 and 5 did drop. But fortunately, low quality Community beats the shit out of most of the other garbage I see spewing out of my TV screen. Personally, I though they did fantastic once Troy left. Given the gigantic hole he left, it could have been a lot worse.
Flag
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.
Flag
MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
You made a spelling mistake in the headline. It should read, "Hulu Might Revive Community for Season 6 and a Movie."
Flag
and a moooooovvvvvvvviiiiiiieeeeee!
Flag
Meh. Season 5 was such a mixed bag and ended on a bland, awful note. I'd only be down for more if Donald Glover was brought back in.
Flag
feel free not to watch then
Flag
Feel free to not patronize me for expressing an opinion.
Flag
This needs to happen! I'm not gonna get my hopes up because this kinda thing happens a lot when cult shows get cancelled, but please Hulu, bring it back, even if it is for a final season.
Flag
Hell yes! When NBC sees the ratings of the next show they put up against the Big Bang Theory they may realize what a mistake they made.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members