A Community Community
NBC (ended 2014)

There's a nasty rumor going around the interwebs today claiming that Donald Glover is returning to CommunityOriginating at UPROXX, as far as I can tell, it started with an e-mail that fans allegedly receive when they sign up for info on a SXSW "hackathon" that Glover is participating in as Childish Gambino (which he tweeted about here). The e-mail ends with the line, "p.s. I am returning to Community, because the internet. Signed, Gambino." 

But before you get your hopes up, let me stop you right there, because it indeed—probably! Okay, I'm pretty sure?—an apparent hoax. First, a Childish Gambino fan club said so on Twitter:

Plus, there's plenty of evidence:

– First and foremost, Community has already wrapped filming on Season 5. The final day of shooting was December 9, 2013. The cast even tweeted about it

– Community has yet to be renewed for a sixth season by NBC, and even though its chances seem good, given its track record, we probably won't know the status of the series for a little while longer.

– "Because the Internet" is also the name of Glover's second album as Childish Gambino. That's a little too obvious, no?

– The e-mail address that delivered the message was childishness69. No one over the age of 12 uses 69 in anything, guys. No one.

– Only about four percent of the internet is telling the truth on a daily basis. In fact, I'm lying to you right now because I just made up that statistic. 

So no, Donald Glover is not returning to Community, at least not according to any credible source as of this moment in time. And while I'd love to see Troy Barnes grace the hallowed halls of Greendale again (I wanna hear about his experience with pirates in the Gulf of Mexico!), I've also made peace with his departure. And how could you not after that excellent farewell episode? Also, I'm sorry to be such a dream killer, but it's basically the reason I was put on this earth. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/17/2014

Season 5 : Episode 13

30 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  • 10:00 pm
    20/20