You know what sucks? This: Donald Glover will only appear in five episodes of Community's upcoming 13-episode fifth season, according to Vulture. There've been whispers about Glover looking to reduce his role ever since the stunning Season 5 renewal was announced, and it appears that Sony TV and Glover have agreed to a middle ground between what Sony wanted (lots and lots of Troy Barnes) and what Glover wanted (adios!). 

But how will Community explain Troy's obvious lack of screen time? Here are some possibilities I thought up in like 30 seconds:

1. Ummm... Troy/Donald left to become a super famous rapper, duh.

2. Troy got cornered by a gang of gnome figurines/locked in the Dreamatorium/lost in a blanket fort/stuck in an air duct while doing air-conditioning repair.

3. Three words: buttered noodle incident.

4. Epic Jehovah's Witness door-to-door pilgrimage!

5. Paralyzed due to a Levar Burton sighting

6. He's off crying somewhere.

7. Some crazy shit Dan Harmon comes up with. 

8. Wins a contest to star in the blacksploitation version of Inspector Spacetime, Inspectah Spacetizzy.

9. Troy's already had sex with Britta, what reason does he have left to stay? (Annie's not his type.)

10. Dark, depressing descent into no-no juice addiction following the death of Kickpuncher.

11. Community won't address it; the show will just pull a New Girl and replace him with another funny black guy.

How do you think Community will (or should) explain Troy's reduced role on the show?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/2/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

72 Comments
Comments (72)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Damn. Am I late to this party or what? I should have been watching this show for years, but hey! better late than never.

The new Troy (whos name is Kevin, but doesn't like to be called Kevin) arrives through a portal that connects our universe to an alternate universe devastated by a war initially started by an evil army of Kevins against a non-evil army of Kevins...Good Kevins mission was to enter our universe, locate & neutralize Senior Kevin with an anti-Kevin device given to good Kevin (the one who doesn't like to be called Kevin) by Herr Kevin. (Senior Kevin's doppleganger, all around nice guy & former German teacher that speaks flawless German) because Senior Kevins black evil soul here at Greendale subconsciously powers the evil Kevin army across space time.

In a heroic moment of self-sacrifice, Our Troy, working with good Kevin, gets pulled into the alternate universe when the anti Kevin device fails & closes the portal. Trapping good Kevin here with us.
Flag
Staff
I think this explains it all, quite well:

Flag
Another nail in the coffin.
Flag
I like your suggestion #4. :)
Flag
This is a really sad news, I will miss all the "Troy and Abed in the morning" short scenes. (they can make some of them with Troy connected trough skype)

What if the "plumbers secret society" interfere with Troy school record and make him do and exchange program somewhere else. The group will be faced with a new student, meanwhile Troy will be actually trapped in some sorta of "THE plumbers CUBE" designed to test his skills with the hope to make him realize and fallow his real destiny.
Flag
He finally decided to respond to his "inner plumber" calling.
Flag
Buttered noodles... I'm hungry.
Flag
Staff
Amnesia, bc it worked so well with Chang.
Flag
Coma. Always a coma.

Or pull a Bart and send him to France as an exchange student, then he comes back in the finale and is a douchey jerk claiming everything in France is sooooo much better.
Flag
This is depressing news for sure, but I can handle it considering Dan is coming back and will have some amazing way to set his absence up!
Flag
This was the first I'd heard of this. It's really too bad. He was one of the best parts of the show, and he will definitely be missed.

But, I feel that there's going to be an episode about Abed having to "grow up" and deal with the fact that his friend won't always be there for him, which would be a good emotional beat for an episode.
Flag
I'm not sure they need to. They just need to use him well in the 5 episodes in which he appears. Or they could use Minkus's explanation of why he went missing after the first season of Boy Meets World, saying he's in the "other part of the school."
Flag
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_b5f7Pio0
My exact reaction to this abomination.
Flag
I always lose it at the end haha
Flag
Ugh. That sucks. I wanted to see what Harmon could do with Glover (although, yes, there will be 5 episodes) again after the horrible use of Troy last season.

I can see them saying that Troy signed up for a co-op or work placement program within the field of air conditioning, which would explain why he's around some of the time and not around at other times. It's either that, or I expect it to be a episode-to-episode thing like @bendylegsnick's first comment below.
Flag
No this sucks I am not no just urgh /no/
Flag
I think number 7 is the winner ^^
Flag
Glover should have done his 5th season of Community in full and moved on. Alison Brie does it like a pro (oh yeah!).

Alison Brie: Does all eps of Community AND a bunch of Mad Men eps AND Funny or Die shorts.
Glover: Only 5 of Community and mediocre rap crap. More like Childish Punk-bino. Bad move Donald.
Flag
Noooooooooo
Flag
He's in the jungle freeing Annie's Boobs.
Flag
Replace him with BIll Murray!
Flag
Trampoline acident
Flag
Troy is the show for me.
Flag
Not liking this very much, but I'm going for #7 or 8
Flag
They could replace him with Damon Waynes Jr!!!!!!
Flag
He's already returning to New Girl, I think :/
Flag
Well, if they want to explain his absence, I would go with something butt-related, considering Troy's obsession with butts....
Flag
Troy and Abed (in the mooorning!) are pretty much the staple of the show, this will be a bad bad bad thing. I hope they end the show after this season, it's lost it's luster, especially after the abysmal season 4...

only thing that can make this season better is if Brie Larson is featured more, but I don't see that happening.
Flag
I'm voting for 7.
Flag
Kidnapped by the air conditioning school.
Flag
This is upsetting, considering Troy is my TV husband.
Flag
out of ur explanations I hope its either 7 or 8
If they do do 11 I think it would upset a lot of people
I thought the show would do fine without Pierce since they have been kind of weaning him out of the show but with Troy/Glover its very abrupt. Lets just hope that his appearances are spread out evenly and that hes featured more heavily in those episode (and they aren't like one line appearances which would suck). I think the show can still survive as long as they use what little time they have with him correctly and further more fix up the writing from last season
Flag
Now I know this is disconcerting for many. And for me also. However, lets think back to last season. Troy was forced into several shows with half assed plots that either were dumb or not fully realized. The Inspector episode, the Gym class teacher episode just to name two. It isn't the amount of time he is in the season it is how they use him during the episodes that they have him.

I know this likely isn't what Harmon wants or any of us for that matter. But I would rather have Harmon at the helm dealing with this than anyone else. Also with Troy out of the loop for a bit, it allows some of the other cast to step up. I would like to see Jim Rash take a bigger step up. Or they could focus on Annie or Britta. Or this could be a huge boon in character development for Abed. Plus Harmon is going to mention it in the show and I can only think of the funny that they will come up with.

But this does throw a huge monkey wrench in Troy and Abed which has always been one of the best aspects of the show.
More+
Flag
totally agree and all I can say is wow I totally forgot about that gym episode. Man non of S4 really sticks does it?
But yeah as long as their writing is good the show should do fine
Flag
I know some people are still on a high since harmon is returning, but while I thought the show could survive with Chevy, I'm not so sure the show can survive without Troy. Even with Harmon returning, he is going to have to bring his best work ever in order to save Community now.
Flag
Very very sad news. I hope the explanation has nothing to do with air conditioning or Inspector Spacetime. I think it will have something to do with him growing up (the show really needs that after they treated Troy so badly in Season 4) but other than that I trust Harmon's crazy shit to find a silver lining.
Flag
Substitute daylight savings for Troy only being in 5 episodes and this is how I feel.

Flag
It feels like the show has been falling apart one piece at a time ever since the end of season 3, with Dan Harmon's return obviously being the big exception. In some ways, I feel like it would have been better just to end it back then, before all of this happened. But I still have faith in Dan Harmon and his writing staff, and if anybody can make it work, it will be them.
Flag
Personally, I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a few episodes. Mostly because Dan Harmon is a TV god to me, and I truly believe he can make it work. But when Troy IS in the 5th season, those episodes better be Troy and Abed heavy!
Flag
While I hate to judge season 5 before it even airs, I think I'm ready to join the group of Community fans who feel Community should have just ended with season 3. I'll probably watch all of season 5, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.
Flag
I'm trying to reserve judgement until I actually see how it turns out. I went into season 4 with an open mind, and it turned out miserably IMO, but that doesn't necessarily mean the same thing will happen with season 5. It obviously has a lot to work around, but as I said, I do think it helps that Dan's back in charge. I just really hope the show gets the conclusion it deserves, rather than fizzling out in the last couple of seasons thanks to all the behind-the-scenes drama.
Flag
Oh my god, I wrote my comment above before I read this one. Great minds and stuff I guess. :)
Flag
"My emotions!
Flag
"Toby and Abed in the morning! That's ridiculous!"
Flag
Haha, number 11 is all kinds of wrong ;)... Well, I'm not worried, Abed can be both for sure...

Flag
you know they'll prob just do it for a joke in one episode
Flag
Abed will probably be seen talking to him on the phone or maybe texting him in the study room and use Abed to explain things.
Flag
What? this sucks!! I had no idea! Wow this should be an interesting season.

Hopefully Harmon can pull some awesome shit out to explain. it really sucks though. Troy and Abed in the morning?!?
Flag
No Troy, no Pierce. I guess it's good for Dan Harmon cause if 5th season is bad, I'll still blame NBC and Sony.
Flag
Neither Troy or Pierce's departures are because of Sony or NBC. Blame Donald Glover and Chevy Chase.
Flag
If this was the case they really shouldn't have brought the show back.
Flag
No, 5 out of 13 is fine, even though I was hoping for a 22 episode order again. Troy doesn't make the show, and I definitely want the show to end on a high (Dan Harmon) note, not this faux season 4, Community deserves better than that! Let's all hope the new season will be epic!
Flag
Troy is kidnapped by the darkest timeline.
Flag
So it's really happening then... This news is so depressing, especially after the huge win that was Dan Harmon's return. :(

However they handle it, I just hope Dan and the writers will be able to make a strong season, despite the hurdles they have to overcome (both Pierce's and Troy's absence for the majority of the season). And whenever he is available, I hope they use Troy's character well, unlike the writers did with Pierce's character last year.
Flag
Some airconditioning emergency on the Maldives.
Flag
This is crap!! I don't even want to explain it since this is really bad news. We can deal with no Pierce but to have Troy only in 5 eps. is really crappy. Let's just cancel the damn show after this season if they're playing these games now.
Flag
Kidnapped by the AC repair school at Greendale, and brainwashed to spend time with them. During those few episodes he does appear, he could be the anti-Troy, the Bizzaro Troy; serious, smart, calm and responsible. This would creep out the rest of the gang.

To me it doesn't really matter how they explain his absence. Not having Troy there, and making the group even smaller than before, feels really bad. Pierce disappearing is one thing, but Troy is pretty essential to the story. What's Abed going to do now? Grow up?!
Flag
NOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYY?! I really cannot write anything more constructive right now, too upset :( The Greendale Seven is now The Greendale Five.
Flag
Re: #11, Damon Wayans Jr. is available...
Flag
No he isn't I create new Happy Endings episodes in my head all the time.
Flag
That would be a great replacement. Wayans Jr is hilarious
Flag
He's good but he's no Glover.
Flag
You are right. Wayans is better.
Flag
Better! You sound like an insane giraffe.
Flag
have like him there for the entire season and then troy comes back and he's like "no one noticed that wasn't me, you guys are racist"
Flag
lol :D :D
Flag
I fully support this idea
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members