We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Community Community
Tuesday 12:00 AM on Yahoo

I GUESS HE'S NOT IN BELIZE AFTER ALL

Jonathan Banks, most recently seen on Breaking Bad and Parks and Recreation, has been cast in a recurring role on Season 5 of Community. He'll play Pat Nichols, a criminology professor with a background in the military and police work. Banks is signed on for 11 episodes and is first slated to appear in the second episode of the season. Considering the fact that Michael Kenneth Williams's professor charactor got to say Omar's famous "A man's gotta have a code" line from The Wire when he guest-starred in Season 3, what do you think the Community writers will do to honor Breaking Bad? [Entertainment Weekly]

BUSINESS TIME

... NBC has renewed Hollywood Game Night for a 10-episode second season. The series, created by Sean Hayes and hosted by Glee's Jane Lynch, gives regular, boring people like you and me the chance to hang out and play games with celebrities. Because if I'm going to hang out with famous people, what I really want to do is sit around and play games (okay, the cash would be cool). [NBC via press release]

... Is it possible that the world has collectively stopped caring about Lindsay Lohan and her ongoing struggles? Her post-rehab interview with Oprah Winfrey scored only modest ratings for Winfrey's network, clocking in at just around 900,000 viewers on Sunday evening. To be fair, the world was really busy watching Walter White attempt to clean up his life at that exact same time, so Lohan probably never stood a chance anyway. [Variety]

... Starz's imported BBC miniseries Dancing on the Edge will premiere October 19 at 10pm following the finale of The White QueenThe five-part series, which will then continue to air on Saturdays at 9pm, follows the story of a group of Black jazz musicians—the Louis Lester Band—as they rise to stardom in London during the 1930s. It stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Matthew Goode, Jacqueline Bisset, and John Goodman. If you're looking for a joke here, you won't find one, because I'm going to watch the hell out of this. [Startz via press release]

... AMC's Low Winter Sun must be really terrible if it can't even hold half its lead-in from one of the most highly anticipated final seasons of a television series ever. LWS only managed a 0.5 rating in AMC's target demo on Sunday evening, bringing in a paltry 1.5 million viewers. Considering Breaking Bad pulled in 4.8 million viewers (down from 5.9 million for last week's premiere) and scored a 2.4 rating in adults under 50, well that's saying something. And believe me, it isn't saying anything good. [Vulture]

... There's a rumor that some washed-up boy band members might be reuniting at this weekend's MTV Video Music Awards. Former 'N Sync frontman Justin Timberlake is receiving the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and I guess he felt really bad that the rest of his former bandmates never really made it and has agreed to let them stand behind him on stage. I don't really care because I was a Backstreet Boys fan and as any female who was alive in the '90s can tell you, those allegiances are for life. [E! Online]

CASTING NEWS

... Justified's Timothy Olyphant is headed to Fox's The Mindy Project to romance everyone's favorite doctor. Just kidding, no one likes doctors. Olyphant will play a professional skateboarder who almost runs Mindy over in Union Square. Naturally, this leads to a date because Mindy lives in a world that most of us only dream of living in. [E! Online]

... Marg Helgenberger is returning to CSI for the show's landmark 300th episode. No, that's not a typo; the series really is about to reach 300 episodes. Helgenberger left the series in Season 12 (still not a typo), but will appear once again via a series of recreated flashbacks that take the cast back 14 years, to a fictional cold case that has resurfaced in the present day. [TV Line]

... Rob Corddry is reprising his role as Jeff Winger's law-firm buddy Alan Connor in Community's Season 5 premiere. There's not much info out there about what brings him back to Greendale, but one might assume it has something to do with Jeff returning to campus after graduating in Season 4. Just a shot in the dark, though. [TV Line]

... Ben Rappaport (Outsourced) has booked the lead in USA's new single-camera comedy Love Is Dead, which tells the story of a romance in reverse, starting with the break-up. Rappaport plays Alex, who's been dumped via a representative of an agency that will break up with someone for you if you're willing to pay enough. Apparently there is something worse than being dumped via text. [Deadline Hollywood]

... I think I'm the only person in my age group who doesn't care for the Boy Meets World spin-off Girl Meets World, but that's okay because I have absolutely no control over what the world does anyway. Like the fact that the series has added two new cast members without consulting me. The first is Peyton Meyer (Dog With a Blog), who plays Tristan Friar and is Riley Matthews' first crush. The second is August Maturo (How I Met Your Mother), who will play her little brother Louis. Call me when Rider Strong officially decides to return and maybe we can talk about this whole spin-off again. [TV Line]

... 90120 star Jessica Stroup has landed a series regular role on Fox's The Following for Season 2. She'll play Max, the niece of Kevin Bacon's Ryan Hardy. Max works for the NYPD in the Intel Division. Hmm, I wonder how those two reconnect? Also signing on to the series is Tiffany Boone (Beautiful Creatures), who becomes the newest member of Joe Carroll's cult, possibly against her own wishes. [Entertainment Weekly]

... Judd Nelson has joined the final season of The CW's Nikita in a major role. He'll play a deep-cover operative working for Amanda who has ties to a plot that only Nikita and Co. can stop. Apparently his role is also really important because he's the keeper of a secret that is threatening to change the fabric of the entire Nikita universe. If Harry Potter taught me anything, it's that you never want to be a secret keeper. Just saying. [TV Line]

SAD NEWS

Elmore Leonard, the author of several crime novels and short stories that've been adapted into movies and TV series, including FX's Justified, died today, three weeks after suffering a stroke. He was 87. Justified executive producer Graham Yost said the series is planning a tribute to Leonard, who was also an executive producer on the series. The tribute will appear on the Season 4 DVD, as well as in the Season 5 premiere in January 2014. [Deadline Hollywood]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/2/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

69 Comments
Comments (69)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"If Harry Potter taught me anything, it's that you never want to be a secret keeper..." Kaitlin, you made me LOL here !.... only to sober up with bummer news.
Please next time sad/bummer news first!!
I love Justified, RIP Mr. Leonard.
Flag
The 300th ep of CSI sounds great, glad to hear Marg is returning (hopefully Grissom will be back too!)
Flag
Dancing on the Edge is pretty good. I did watch it because of Angel Coulby, and I got hooked.
(Also, Kaitlin, I have to say, I love your news brief style.)
Flag
R.I.P. Elmore Leonard
What a sucker punch at the end of this article.
Flag
Backstreet Boys 4 Life! BSB4L! BSB4L!
Flag
Jonathan Banks as a professor on Community feel exactly right, but I hope they don't overplay that same hand as as before, something more like his work on Fired Up would be welcome, no need to typecast.

Yes, the world stopped caring about the Lindsay Lohan trainwreck show, and also about Oprah just a little. But the garbage "entertainment" shows will try to force it down society's throat anyway.

Shouldn't Timberlake be standing on top of his former bandmates, not in front?

Olyphant plus Mindy equals eyeroll, but it's always fun to see (and hear, thanks to Archer) him break away from his Raylan Givens role.

Does anybody care that Catherine is returning to CSI? If Gil Grissom was returning, that'd be news, but she barely left a season ago.
Flag
Ugh no not Judd Nelson on Nikita! I hate JN & he's not a very good actor. I could handle him in a one-off but not as a major character...he's going to distract me the whole time :P Oh well, here's hoping he surprises me because I love Nikita!
Flag
Staff
Mike Ehrmantraut: "Keys, scumbag. It's the universal symbol for keys."
Flag
The best things about Boy Meets World were Rider Strong, Matthew Lawrence, and brother Eric. Let's get that spin-off going. But not on Disney because I would like it to include True Blood-style nudity.
And it is just me, or does this sound like a hilarious idea?! - "Rappaport plays Alex, who's been dumped via a representative of an agency that will break up with someone for you if you're willing to pay enough."
Flag
Backstreet boys?! *VOMIT* :P Nsync will forever be the greatest boy band!

Flag
NKOTB, muthafatha!
Flag
Haha, nkotb is second on my list lol
Flag
Step by steppp... Ohhh baby! Haha
Flag
If the cold case in the 300th episode of CSI is the murder of Catherine's friend referred to in "Felonious Monk" (from season 2), that would be a win. And Elmore Leonard also wrote westerns.
Flag
everyone's favorite doctor. Just kidding, no one likes doctors - Lmao
Flag
Mike is back
Flag
OH YEAH!
Flag
If living in Mindy's world means a date with Timothy Olyphant, can I move there too? Please?
Flag
Sorry, only room for one in Mindy's world, everybody else there exists only to feed her ego.
Flag
It certainly does seem that way!
Flag
I love Jonathan Banks but I was kinnnnda hoping the headline of this News Briefs was about Matt Jones -- Badger -- who has been on Community already a few times. I'd love to see him in a regular role. But Banks is awesome, too. Hooray.

Hollywood Game Night is pretty fun but I don't think I've really seen back-to-back fun episodes. Every other episode seems to be featuring these boring and unfun celebrities. Like in the latest episode... the boring and dry and quiet Aubrey Plaza was arguably the most charismatic, and she barely did anything.

How is it that The Mindy Project KEEPS getting these guest stars that I like? HOW?! Has the show actually gotten better, or is Mindy really that popular, or is the show just throwing money at them? Argh, I really don't want to try and watch again, but hearing about guest star after guest star is really starting to convince me to maybe sorta give it another shot. Ugh.
Flag
Staff
The Mindy Project definitely got a lot better as the first season progressed (I marathoned it on Hulu last month). That being said, I really don't know how they keep getting these awesome guest stars. But I'm going to watch it.
Flag
I agree with what you said about every other episode of Hollywood Game Night being a little boring. I had been thinking that myself but I couldn't in good conscience like your comment because I love Aubrey Plaza and was surprised to see her name and the word "boring" in the same sentence. :)
Flag
Haha, fair enough. Yeah, I find that quite a lot of people like/love Aubrey Plaza. Maybe it's because of her role on Parks & Rec, which I unfortunately don't watch...?

Every time I've seen her outside of her acting roles, she just seems so... nothingy. She doesn't seem fun or entertaining at all, but rather the type to just sit there and say one or two sarcastic things and plaster a slightly awkward smile. It doesn't make her terrible or anything -- I'm quite like that too (and I've often been described as boring) -- but it's always a bit noticeable and slightly surprising because of her popularity. And to her credit, I did still say she was arguably the most charismatic of the group in the episode she was in, hehe.
Flag
Rider Strong just sayin
Flag
Nice review of DVD set of "Community" S4 at http://classictvdvdreviews.blogspot.com/2013/07/community-s4-little-show-that-could.html
Flag
I'm totally with you, I completely missed N'Sync. It was Backstreet Boys all the way.
Sometimes I think the Mindy Project exists so Mindy can just cast hot guys and make out with them. Which I don't blame her for in the least.
Flag
While I enjoy tv.com, and sarcasm (it really is the best kind of humour), the fact that many visitors of the site hadn't noticed that Kaitlin is now writing the news briefs instead of Tim is a little worrying.

Being a different writer, shouldn't Kaitlin's style be different too? I mean, she's done a great job at imitating Tim, you had me fooled with zingers like this 'Timothy Olyphant is headed to Fox's The Mindy Project to romance everyone's favorite doctor. Just kidding, no one likes doctors' and this, 'No, that's not a typo; the series really is about to reach 300 episodes. Helgenberger left the series in Season 12 (still not a typo)'.

But I think a new writer gives the site an opportunity to try something different and should see it as such (unless, tv.com, you are aiming to be the home of television related snark, but TWOP already does that so I'd suggest mixing it up a bit and stop making Kaitlin a female Tim replica).
Flag
as long as Tim keeps his style ill more or less ready anything he has to say lol, I just hope they havent heard of the trumpeting of a tiny minority of poeple on here who dont like it when he calls dumb things dumb.
Flag
In fairness, Tim has been doing some of the briefs the last few weeks. But you're correct, the styles are too similar to tell the difference. Although Tim is funnier.
Flag
I noticed everything you mentioned. I really like Tim's style; he's made me laugh out loud many times. Kaitlin is good, but I miss Tim. He's my favorite staff writer. Maybe he's too busy with Breaking Bad right now to write news briefs. or is this permanent?
Flag
Staff
Tim's been really busy with choir.
Flag
Maybe that's just Kaitlin's style? Maybe her sense of humour is just very similar to Tim's. Should she forcefully change the way she writes just to differentiate from the person who wrote the article previously? As you said, sarcasm is the best kind of humour. If Kaitlin moved away from that, then her humour would be less than "the best".
Flag
this is weird, I totally thought it was a tim post all of this time and the backstreet boys comment was ironic. now I don't know what to believe.

I look forward to olyphant's stint on the mindy project.

thank you for Justified, Elmore Leonard. it will surely remain among the top of my favorite shows for forever.
Flag
"I don't really care because I was a Backstreet Boys fan and as any female who was alive in the '90s can tell you, those allegiances are for life."

Yeah, but...you listened to real music too, right, Kaitlin?
Flag
Staff
Don't worry. My tastes have definitely gotten better since junior high. I think.
Flag
Banks was great as Breaking Bad's Mike, but i'll never forget Frank McPike in Wiseguy.

Flag
Until Wiseguy, I just thought of Banks as a "sleepy eyed henchman" from Beverly Hills Cop and Dangerous Voyage. Remember the fourth season premiere of Wiseguy when McPike was looking for Teranova and James Rebhorn as a federal agent was calling McPike "McPuke"?
Flag
I was thinking of him in Beverly Hills Cop.
Flag
Damn, beat me to it...
Flag
Same time period, but then he was a bad guy.
Flag
But his deadpan delivery was fabulous.
Flag
I'm personally fond of "Shut the fuck up and let me die in peace", but how would they work that into Community? I CANNOT watch Mike die twice.
Flag
OMG, Mike! <3 I just recently finished rewatching the first half of season 5 (as in, I watched the mid-season finale tonight), and it just reminded me of just how much I loved Mike's character (as if I needed reminding).

I'm glad to hear that he'll be on season 5 of Community, and even happier to hear that he'll be on for 11 episodes. The series has been guilty of under-using teachers in the last few seasons, so hopefully that's a sign it won't happen again.
Flag
I've been meaning to start watching Community and the addition of Jonathan Banks might just get me to actually do it.

I've only seen the pilot so far, but Low Winter Sun looks like it'll be a good series. It's disappointing to hear it's performing so poorly in the ratings.

Elmore Leonard passing away is very sad news. He was a great author.
Flag
You're the second person to say that Low Winter Sun looked good, based on the only episode you saw: the pilot. It's for these exact reasons that the show is getting low ratings: you didn't watch the second episode. I don't understand this. If you liked the first episode and think it will be a good series, why didn't you watch the second episode? This is why shows get cancelled!
Sorry, not tryna pick on you in particular. But if you like a show, watch it! Otherwise it gets cancelled and people ask why, when it was such a good show. There's no mystery: it doesn't matter how fantastic a show is, if nobody watches it, it gets cancelled.
Flag
I watch most of my shows with other people. Not everyone stays up until 11PM to watch a show, that's why I haven't seen the second one yet. I'm not entirely sure how they measure ratings, but I do not own a Nielsen box, so I don't think what I watch counts anyway.
Flag
I've really enjoyed Olyphant's other comedic turns (e.g., Sterling's gay friend on Archer and the sushi chef on The League) so I'll be looking forward to seeing him on The Mindy Project.

Sorry to hear about Low Winter Sun's numbers. It deserves better. The problem is that as serialized as it is, it's not likely to build steam as time goes by. But you never know, stranger things have happened.

The loss of Elmore Leonard is truly a big one. He was one of the best authors ever to put to pen to paper. He had a rare talent for creating highly memorable characters and had an almost unsurpassed ear for cool, gripping dialogue. The world is a less interesting place with him no longer in it.
Flag
Staff
I think the real problem with Low Winter Sun is that while you'd think it would be smart to air it after Breaking Bad for the lead-in, it just doesn't work that way when Breaking Bad is as big and as dramatic as it is. People tune in for Breaking Bad, but then are too traumatized/anxiety-ridden/mortified/something else, that they turn off the TV afterwards and discuss it with friends, etc. It should have premiered after Breaking Bad ended. I think it would have had a better chance and not have had to live in the shadow of Walter White.
Flag
"I don't really care because I was a Backstreet Boys fan and as any female who was alive in the '90s can tell you, those allegiances are for life."

Truer words were never spoken.
Flag
That sucks about Low WInter Sun! I really liked the pilot!
Flag
With Pierce out of the picture, I wonder if Gilbert Fring will be able to make an appearance or two...
Flag
I hope they replace Perice with a new actor and the only character that notice's the change is Abed.
Flag
Hahaha, he's like the Deadpool of Community. There are no Fourth walls with that guy.
Flag
A Breaking Bad reunion on Community? I don't know how they'd be able to bring Gilbert back without it feeling forced, but if they can do that... BRING IT ON! :D
Flag
we all know they can find a way, and it will be both simple and genius at the same time!
Flag
TV needed more Jonathan Banks. This won't compensate for a lack of Glover, but it's going to be AWESOME.
Flag
Your comment is Streets Ahead!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members