UM, FIVE SEASONS AND A KICKSTARTER MOVIE?

It's not like we expected Community to return for Season 5 and become a ratings success—in fact, Tim predicted poor ratings in his review—but we didn't expect the series to achieve record low ratings, either. Last night's "Repilot" and "Introduction to Teaching" brought in only 3.7 million and 3.0 million viewers, respectively. Among the coveted adult 18-49 demographic, they managed a 1.3 rating and then a 1.2 rating, down 32 percent from its Season 4 average. 

Now, it's possible that there are a few contributing factors at play here: First, the show premiered on January 2, a day that most people probably don't even consider to be real, given that they spent the entire previous day hungover and/or sleeping. Who airs new episodes on January 2, you know? What? CBS did? Well, thanks for the segue: Second, CBS aired brand-new episodes of its comedies last night, which means Community was up against ratings juggernaut The Big Bang Theory (which drew 18.9 million viewers and a 5.3 rating), and then Will Arnett's The Millers (11.5 million/2.9). And third, the show's less-than-good fourth season may have tainted its reputation in many fans' minds. Perhaps they were waiting to read what the critics had to say about Season 5 before committing? Whatever the reason, Community's going to need better numbers than this to make it to Season 6, let alone ever see a movie. [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... Netflix dumped a lot of movies and TV series from its streaming library on New Year's Day, but that's okay, because they've added The Dick Van Dyke Show and Murder, She Wrote. And you just can't argue with that. Unfortunately, they've also added Seasons 5 through 8 of Dexter, too. You win some, you lose some. [Buzzfeed and Huffington Post]

... Speaking of Netflix, House of Cards fans can now watch the director's commentary for the series. It's available as an option in the subtitles menu. Don't forget, Season 2 premieres February 14, and anyone who can tell me what this new teaser means will win a prize. [Netflix via press release]

... Sister, sister, you'll never know how much we won't miss ya. Ugh, that was painful. I'm so sorry. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that E! has decided not to renew Tia and Tamera, the reality series starring twin sisters Tia Mowry-Hardrict and Tamera Mowry-Housely. It previously aired on the Style Network, but that's dead now, and E! would prefer to keep it that way. Hmmm, maybe the girls shouldn't've hyphenated their last names? Yeah, that's probably why the show tanked. [The Wrap]

... ABC's The Assets premiered to a 0.7 rating, to no one's surprise. The network did almost no marketing for the limited-run series, and as Cory pointed out in his review, the premiere was perfectly fine, but certainly not the greatest thing to air on TV yesterday. If the rating holds, it will be the lowest-rated drama debut in the history of the four main broadcast networks. Yikes. [THR]

... Yesterday, we told you about several catch-up stunts that will air on the TV Guide Network (TVGN) to help you stay current on The CW's newest series. And now The CW's older brother, CBS, is getting in on the TVGN rerun action, too: This weekend, TVGN will surrender to a Hostages marathon to get viewers up to speed before next week's two-hour season finale, rebroadcasting every episode of the "high-octane suspense drama" back-to-back on Sunday, January 5 beginning at 1pm. [CBS/TVGN via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... No one was cast in anything today. TV as we know it is over!

118 Comments
Comments (118)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
All networks, not just NBC, need to really learn how to strategize what times and days they air their shows. You don't put a quirky group comedy on at the same time as another network, you don't put a show targeted to men age 18-35 on during a major sports event, and stop trying to compete with the exact same kind of shows at the same time as another network. And learn how to examine DVR, TiVo, and online viewing numbers instead of just live views!
Flag
DVR and TiVo (Wait...isn't TiVo a brand of DVR? That's like saying 'smartphones and Androids'...anyway...) don't count because people who DVR and bootleg skip the ads and ratings are based on ads..
Flag
People who watch live TV skip ads too, its called a bathroom break! Your logic is as flawed as the networks is on viewing.
Flag
They need to stop trying to compete with The Big Bang Theory! It's not news that they have NO chance! They have years of confirmation before this season.
Flag
A Million people watched Community!? What! That sounds good or am I pulling a total Troy right now.
Flag
What the hell is NBC thinking putting Community up against The Big Bang Theory?
Flag
Completely agree
Flag
so the last 6 episodes of Season 2 of Unforgettable have started to air ... at least episodes 8,9, and 10 may be found on the internets if you look
Flag
I wish they could account for how many people recorded it on dvr, it's the playoffs for gods sake, I would have watched Breaking bad the next night to watch my Saints game!!!
Flag
I finally watched the first two episodes of Community on Hulu and they were brilliant! Welcome back Dan Harmon! Hey guys, does this feel weird without, you know.... Magnitude?
Flag
I wish NBC would stop trying to compete with The Big Bang Theory. Try something different! I don't want Community to be canceled.
Flag
It also premiered against the Sugar Bowl.

If folks didn't watch Community, it was their loss. Those two episodes were the best the show has been in at least a year.
Flag
No, it was everybody's loss, and more importantly, Community's fans loss. NBC won't order an other season if ratings are record-low. And if Community is cancelled, it's not the people who don't watch that will be affected.
Flag
Don't blame the viewers because NBC raped and murdered this show Season 4
Flag
I don't blame anybody but saying about the people who don't watch that it's THEIR loss, I can't understand. They don't care if the show is cancelled because not enough people watch. The only people who have something to lose are fans.
Flag
It's going for real this time, shit happens, it's not as good as the tvtome hype machine says it is. Don't worry Archer is back next week, proper comedy.
Flag
I just heard from a friend of mine (he owns a tv) that ALL of NBC' s shows did horrible that night, and Community had the best rating of all of them. Sooo...
Flag
Not really, Community did better than Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show (which is not something to brag about). And they did worse than Parenthood which aired at 10.pm (1.3 - 3.99 viewers).

So, yeah, Community didnt do nearly as good as we hoped it would...I hope all the other shows from NBC bomb hard so Community will look better.
Flag
'... No one was cast in anything today. TV as we know it is over!'

LOL
Flag
so every day its bag on NBC for being a really bad network and then when its ratings come in you complain. Good job.
Flag
Community aired during the holiday season when most people can barely remember what day of the week it is let alone if a new season of a tv show is on. And you also have to account for the number of people who watch online/download illegally because they're not in America.
Flag
1) It was January 2nd.
2) It was/is up against The Big Bang Theory. AGAIN.
3) It was barely advertised aside from Internet trailers.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope NBC cancels it and Netflix produces the sixth season and the movie (because those NEED to happen). NBC doesn't deserve this show. Ditto for Hannibal. You just don't put the best drama on television on Friday nights

Flag
What, a poorly-timed, poorly-advertised, mid-season premiere of a show that the powers-that-be mangled last season so causal viewers wouldn't come back to while airing on a third-rate, struggling network didn't tear up the ratings charts? WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED? If the network can't be bothered to do any real marketing and scheduling choices, why should it be surprising that viewers stay away? NBC needs to support Community, they have almost nothing that attracts positive attention for quality right now and their sitcom lineup is badly sagging.

So, quick question, what were the ratings for the 9pm sitcoms? Oh, they were TERRIBLE. They were significantly worse at 9pm and 9:30pm, and matched at the 10pm drama. Moreover, Fox ate shit in the ratings that night, ABC did badly with their new content, The CW had awful ratings, and CBS's sitcoms diminsished greatly after TBBT. So of course NBC will blame Community for a problem it didn't cause, because NBC makes dumb mistakes.
Flag
Community will never receive high ratings. The people that watch the show do not get their TV from traditional sources. I am a huge fan of the show an even I didn't get to watch the first showing. Why? Because I have a social life and sometimes it takes precedent over my tv watching. I caught it on Hulu the following day. And no one that I know that watches the show caught it either. 8pm on a thursday is still a horrible time slot whether they are going up against BBT or not.
Flag
I partly agree, but once again, some other show do 12 millions or even 19 millions. So why do people watch The Millers or The Big Bang Theory and not Community? That's still something I'm trying to figure out. Because it's obvious a lot of people don't go home just to watch an episode, but at the same time some other channels and tv shows do wwaayy better.
Flag
Because those are what I would like to call, very safe comedies. Now Community isn't all that provocative, it isn't on FX or Comedy Central, though I think it would have been better served there, but it is a thinking person's comedy. Community points a lot of fingers at a lot of different things, pop culture, old movies, genres etc and if you don't get it it just seems like 7 people in a community college doing random things. The Millers and BBT have a purpose, it has an overall story arc and they play to it. Although I can't speak about The Millers because I have never watched it. But BBT, you have the romance between characters, you have the evolution of Sheldon etc. There was a beginning and there will be an end. Community, through Harmon, just creates the world as they see fit. Paintball wouldn't have worked in either of The Millers or BBT. Neither would have Basic Lupine Urology, The blanket fort episode in the style of PBS, the Annie's Pen episode, The non flashback flashback episode. The list could go on and on and cover pretty much all of season 2 and 3. The other shows are just easier to watch. Chewing gum for the mind all with a laugh track to cue you when a joke was made.
More +
Flag
Hell, I have absolutely no social life and have never seen an episode when it aired, and Community is one of my favorite shows.

Until they realize just how many people aren't confining themselves to network schedules, shows that I like seem to be pretty well fucked.
Flag
This is why I tell people I don't use digital sources for first-run content, and I don't download media. If you want to support your favorite shows, if you want to incentivize the production of standout, quality entertainment you have to do so by watching via traditional methods - TV live or at least DVR within 24 hours. Digital streamed media are still essentially worthless numbers to advertisers, and advertisers are who pay for our favorite network shows, so watching on Hulu means you have removed your viewing value from the show rather than adding to it. The old business model is still the primary business model for shows like this, so rewarding quality entertainment means using that.

As for Thursday, that's the day NBC built into a sitcom powerhouse, CBS simply came along and ate its lunch while it sat in the corner flinging boogers at itself. NBC has shown it cannot make sitcoms work on ANY day better than this anymore, it has tried Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to no success, and it's already lost the war for Mondays, which leaves Sundays and that'd take a few years to build with a powerhouse of Fox's animated fare to contend with.
More +
Flag
I watch the Comedy Central (re)reruns of Community in Holland (as most of the episodes still kill me on reruns) as much as I can, but I'm not sure this will help. The only way for me to see new content is downloading it. Regrettably that doesn't help. If there were another way, I would do it.
Flag
Foreign-market value is not a significant impact on US network television, unlike US movies, because that audience isn't who the sponsors are advertising to. It's very frustrating to see so much foreign support for a show get overlooked, such as The CW's "Arrow", one of the most popular shows in the world and yet it does really small numbers in the US and thus gets little in the way of budget.

On the other hand, it also means you foreign-market audiences can download as much as you want and not have to worry about that negative impact.
Flag
Rolamb, the producers do exactly that but the foreign licensing and home media sales in those markets simply isn't enough to offset a significant portion of a US show's production costs. The problem is that the USA has over 300 million viewers and networks try to pander to all of them which means expensive budgets just to get it on the air, so the splintered foreign market value where it's a potential million viewers total in one country and a half million in another simply doesn't make a dent in that. The amount of failed, unaired TV pilots here every year alone would likely dwarf most other countries' entire TV budgets - and that's tragic because smaller budgets and smaller audiences generally can mean better shows that take bigger risks. Our network tv system is pretty backwards and broken in a lot of ways. But at least we don't have 6 episodes a year the way those Brits do. ;-)
Flag
What the producers of those shows should do is not sell their concept to a US network (alone), but also see if they can sell it to foreign broadcasters. This would mean a more prominent and active part for the producers instead of the huge power of the networks. In that way they could even keep producing a series when the US network cancels it as long as there is enough foreign interest. We in the Netherlands have a few producing companies that make series for other countries then Holland and they will even set up offices in those other countries when needed. But, we are a small country and if you want to think big (as some of them do), you have to go abroad. That's why we became a trading nation :-).
Flag
Do you have a Nielsen box? It only matters if you do. The network still earns money from advertising on Hulu. So But I agree with you about illegal downloads. Shows cost money, we have to pay for them somehow if we want to keep watching.
Flag
Read your cable or satellite tv DVR contract, every DVR's viewing data is sold to Nielsen and companies like that so every DVR is in essence a Nielsen box.

As for streaming, the amount of revenue from it is negligible, it wouldn't make a dent in the cost of the average half-hour sitcom.
Flag
Your DVR is also your cable box, it reports viewing ratings of live tv as well as recorded.
Flag
DVR ratings aren't the same as live ratings. Supposedly the live ratings are the most important. No one's watching those commercials for DVR viewing. So advertisers aren't going to be that impressed with high DVR numbers.
Flag
So bad news for all other shows on tv is still good news for NBC! Even though it was a low for the series, Community, won over all other comedies on NBC that night. Season 6? http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-abcs-assets-bombs-668339
Flag
Being the king of shit hilll is still being covered in shit, unfortunately. The only way Community can succeed is off of NBC at this rate.
Flag
Community is still #1 in torrent downloads
Flag
#1 in worthless views that take away ad revenues from the show? OH BOY, does that mean NBC gets paid in Bitcoins? No? Oh.
Flag
what? are you trying to find someone to fight with? you already did? yeah? Oh.
Flag
Regarding Community's ratings, I pretty much predicted it (not gloating, because it's one I wish I were wrong about) in my comment on the review, for the three reasons you provided. TBBT wins any night. January 2 is still "on holiday" time for many. And season 4 definitely would have put people off. And of course, it's ratings were always pretty poor, there was no way any or all of the above wouldn't help sink it further.

Here's to hoping NBC will shock us all with a twist by, again, listening to its rabid net-based fanbase and renew it another season (maybe another shortened one for midseason like this time).
Flag
Been watching a backlog of Hostages episodes on my DVR. My personal marathon.
Flag
And yet Community is still one of the highest rated comedies on NBC besides Parks and Rec...
Flag
That's the one ray of hope I have: that everything else they have sucks so hard, they're forced to move Community to a decent day and time because it and Parks and Rec are the only comedies left for them.

Move them and Parks until TBBT loosens its stranglehold.
Flag
In case, it will, be the first Kickstarter project I will be donating to! But, I do hope we will be able to get the ratings a bit better over the next weeks.
Flag
The best casting news ever :)
Flag
I'm ashamed of the human race now. Also, most of the time.
Flag
As much as I hate that Community is getting record low ratings, I'm just grateful that it's back for a 5th season, and having Dan Harmon back behind the wheel is analogous to a brilliant creator of an underrated series getting booted off of his own show, only to come back after the sinking studio that fired him realizes what boneheads they were and hires him back to salvage one of the only good shows they have. (see Britta, you're not alone.)
Flag
What genius at NBC decided to premiere Community on the same night as the Sugar Bowl?
Flag
This is why I didn't watch it either. College football is a huge attraction to many people and sports are pretty much the only thing that have to be watched live.
Flag
The same that put it on thursday at 830 against BBT and then friday after the sucktacular Whitney and so on and so forth.
Flag
The what? Is that a Puerto Rican reality show where Precious Moments figurines compete at hugs?
Flag
Some type of devilish Foosball match I believe.
Flag
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tim mention once a while back that NBC was essentially aiming to dumb-down its programming?
It would definitely explain things like why I've seen multiple promos for asinine crap like Sean Saves the World & never a single one for Community.
I'm convinced they want it to fail & they seem to go out of their way to sabotage it. I imagine it really pisses the suits off that it has such a rabid fanbase that helps force the network to keep the show going in spite of themselves. Hell, I pulled up NBC.com & looked at the 'Current' dropdown menu & they still have things like Harry's Law & The Cape listed on it. How many years has it even been that they specifically cancelled The Cape? 3 years? 4? I usually don't openly bitch about NBC's almost complete multi-level ineptitude, but goddamn...this joke just isn't funny anymore.
Flag
Oddly, I've seen a few promos for Community, but I watch NBC's shows through On Demand. I may have seen a promo or two on Hulu, but not sure.

Sorry, Community will never do much better than it is. It's mainly a quirky cult show that has its moments, but I do not think is cohesive and character likeable enough for mass audiences. That should be clear by now, if you were expecting better ratings 'cause Harmon is back or something. In that regard, he doesn't seem to really matter as to how well it does since the show never took off with him in the first place.
Flag
Don't misunderstand. I don't expect Community to suddenly become popular or even appreciated for that matter. What I do expect is for it to be promoted
Flag
True, and it should be, if only for NBC's own interest in getting what viewers it can. My comment was for everyone in general 'cause I think people continue to have higher expectations for the show that has thus far been proven otherwise.

I also thought that Glover being in so few episodes may also be contributing to some fans not wanting to watch anymore.
Flag
The whole Community Season 5 premiere numbers thing is kind of being taken out of context. It's only a series low for it's SEASON PREMIERE history, But that 1.3 was the exact same demo that the season 4 finale achieved. Also, the show hit a 1.0 last season more than once, so that 1.3 is about right. Although i was expecting a 1.5 at least. Season 6 is still an obtainable goal

Flag
I don't even get TVGN. Normally I wouldn't care but once a month I get an urge to randomly watch "Designing Women". How is that not airing on Logo?
Flag
LOL to Casting News
Flag
Well, the teaser is obviously trying to emphasize Frank's... um... bending of the... the... goverment? Or maybe he's new agenda of tying people in difficult situations with... I don't know, elastic bands? Can I at least get a candy bar or something?
Flag
Which moron put Community up against The Big Bang Theory? Why would anyone put anything up against that ratings supernova? Just use some road kill like Sean Saves the World instead - it's ratings are already fucked up.
Flag
Yeah But Community has been up against The Big Bang Theory every single season so far. I don't see anything changing unless NBC decides to throw Community on Fridays for Season 6
Flag
...on Fridays for Season 6... And the Movie?
Flag
Nope! I will only accept a summer blockbuster Universal Studios Feature Film- Community: The Movie. ;) in my dreams. Of course! Season 6...and The Movie!
Flag
Hopefully they will come to their senses and move Community and Parks And Rec to the 9 o'clock hour. I'm afraid it will only get worse
Flag
its NBC, please find me the non moron there...
Flag
Kenneth Parcell is probably the closest thing available.
Flag
OK, but I'll need ten years!
Flag
i'll give you 20
Flag
Does TV Guide Network still have the TV Guide in it, or has that part of the screen finally shrunk to microscopic size and vanished?
Flag
Staff
It's nearly impossible to read at this point.
Flag
Also, if you miss Prevue Guide, give a thumb.
Flag
Community won't be the first on the chopping block with the ratings Michael J Fox and Sean Hayes got. Doesn't mean it won't get canceled though.
Flag
Yeah, it will actually because Community is an ensemble show with legacy cast and crew, while Sean Saves the World is an inexpensive multi-camera format sitcom. Hopefully NBC will still see through that to the quality angle.
Flag
A smart network would use another season to get traction out of #sixseasonsandamovie. But NBC, so...

Flag
A smart network wouldn't have fired Dan Harmon in the first place. Then again, after the last few years, it's clear a smart network wouldn't be NBC.
Flag
Dang you United Statesers! Why won't watch this show for me! Don't you know how powerless we foreigners feel having no control over the fate of our favourite shows! We need to get Annie to put her super-Criminology skills to good use against Nielsen families.
Flag
Hey, foreigners. Rise up and overthrow your oppressive government-run communications monopoly. You get the freedom you win for yourselves.
Flag
Luckily in most of the countries the 'oppressive government-run communications monopoly' has been overthrown long ago. In my country, the Netherlands we have nine commercial Dutch channels and lots of foreign channels with Dutch programming. We even have Netflix :-). Community is shown to us by Comedy Central, but Comedy Central will only be able to put it in their Dutch programming if the series is continued in the US.

Let's not get into the discussion that foreign sales could be part of the discussion to continue a US series, because that won't happen.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members