A Community Community
Tuesday 12:00 AM on Yahoo

Well, this explains the reduced-role-on-Community thing: As first reported by Deadline Hollywood, Donald Glover is set to write, star, and executive-produce a new half-hour comedy series at FX.

The series is tentatively titled Atlanta and will focus on the Atlanta music scene, two things Glover knows quite a bit about, considering he's from Atlanta and has a music career as hip-hop artist Childish Gambino. Apparently FX is willing to work around Glover's music touring schedule, while other networks were not.

It was a bit surprising to learn earlier this summer that Glover wanted to spend less time on Community—what is Abed going to do?—but this news sheds some light on the whole situation. Of course, it was also surprising to learn that NBC had renewed the comedy for Season 5 last spring after the series's worst season to date. Add to that the surprising return of creator and showrunner Dan Harmon and you've got one wacky, ongoing surprise party over there at NBC.

Are you excited too see Glover do something new? Or are you furiously writing strongly worded letters to the actor for splitting up Troybed?

poll

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/2/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The show must go on!

I love Donald Glover. I love him. In my opinion he's the funniest cast member on Community. His comedic timing is do damn spot on it wrinkles my brain. He's the opposite of the opposite of Batman. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed he's leaving Community.

I mean, how dare he?! Donald, when you're apart of what used to be the best comedy on TV and could be again, you don't jump ship. No, you hang on for dear life until the corporate equivalent of a Kaiju smashes the shit out of said ship (I just watched Pacific Rim and it was awesome!) We get Dan Harmon back and you selfishly think of your own career before the wants of a weirdly obsessed fan? What's the deal, man? Have you even considered what this will do to Troy and Abed in the Morning fan sites?! I am ANGRY at you! ...

Sorry about that. When I'm upset with a celebrity I write like I'm actually addressing that person. In all seriousness I'm more sad than angry with this development. Troy and by extension Troy and Abed is such a huge part of what has made Community great. Troy is my favourite character on the show and with the exit of Chevy Chase as well the dynamic of the study group will no doubt be in a state of flux for the 5th season.

BUT

Dan Harmon's Community (I hate that I'll always have to make that distinction now) is greater than the sum of its parts. I recently rewatched the first three seasons and it only reaffirmed my faith in Dan's ability to create television magic in trying circumstances (remember how deftly he handled the product placement/Subway situation?). He is a conceptual genius and if anyone can storyboard a satisfying conclusion of Donald's time on Community it's him.

My hopes for the 5th season have not diminished with this news. We already knew Donald would only be appearing in 5 episodes, so this isn't very surprising. Getting Harmon back more than makes up for the departure of Donald and Chevy. I'm still excited, dammit!

I wish Donald Glover all the best, but I selfishly hope his new show is an abject failure so he'll have to return to Community. Yep, that's right, I'm a terrible person. Now to close with a compilation of Troy Barnes crying. No one cries funnier!

More+
Flag
Thank you for so eloquently expressing exactly what I was thinking!
Flag
Really happy for Donald. He's a great comedian, his stand up specials are great. I hope this works out well for him!
Flag
Troy is my favorite character on Community. I wish Donald all the best, this sounds awesome!
Flag
poor Donald...

i wish you all the best...
Flag
I like Donald Glover so I wish him well... and I'll try Atlanta out because of him. He certainly has every right to try and pursue bigger and better things. But all in all, I guess I'm a bit peeved at him leaving Community. I have a strange feeling that Atlanta will kinda suck, and Community will get back to having some very special episodes... it'd have been nice to see Troy be a bigger part of that.
Flag
Can't blame him for looking out for his own career. I'll definitely check out his new show.
Flag
I'll check it out. But I also have this feeling deep down like, "HOW DARE YOU LEAVE COMMUNITY" but nonetheless I hope his show does well. I also hope that he returns to the season finale of Community Season 5 OR if there is a Season 6 that he returns in some compacity.

So this has landed at FX, not FXX?
Flag
I'm voting "meh", I think the Atlanta hip hop scene is way overhyped and doesn't have as much to say as it thinks it does, and that this is not going to be an easy show to sell to audiences on this particular network. I'd like to see Glover hone his craft, he's very talented as an actor but still has room for growth, and he seems too young to showrun/star AND grow at the same time.
Flag
Forgot to mention that I chose "meh" because while I don't love the idea of him spreading himself thin and the concept itself sounds extremely limited, I'm not mad he's spending time away from Community and I do wish him success, so it's the closest vote.
Flag
He's totally leaving Community??? No appearances whatsoever??? :'(
Flag
He's going to be in 5 episodes. So we should definitely be thankful for that. I just hope that, when they do have him on, they'll use him well, and when he's not on, the episodes and the rest of the characters' dynamics are so good that I don't mind his absence.
Flag
Nowhere did it say that. He's doing 5 out of 13 episodes of Community this season, that's the "reduced role" mentioned (and linked) in the article.
Flag
My mistake, the poll does say that. He's not TOTALLY leaving Community.
Flag
Staff
FX + comedian shows = failure. No, Louie is not must see tv.
Flag
Disagree. Louie is hilarious and very powerful due to the comedian's integrity with all elements of the show. This last season was more artsy than fartsy, but still produced uproarious laughs. And the ratings and accolades FX gets from it seem to agree.
Flag
Staff
The Bachelor(ette) gets ratings. haha

Never found Louie's material funny. So it makes it an unfunny show to me.
Flag
1) The Bachelor reality franchise and Louie are about as "apples and oranges" as one can get in this conversation.

2) Just because you don't find the material funny doesn't make it a failure as comedy or as entertainment or as art.

Humor is subjective, and just as someone liking something doesn't make it good, also true is that someone disliking something doesn't make it bad.
Flag
Failure is generally not subjective, it is the condition of not meeting specified goals - the goal isn't only to entertain you, it's to entertain the majority of its audience in a way that is profitable and has the artistic integrity of its showrunner/creator/star.
Flag
Staff
failure is also subjective. Our definitions differ, haha.
Flag
Ratings doesn't mean it's a critical success, but critical success does mean it's a critical success. So ratings + critical success = not a failure.

It also makes a butt-ton of money because it costs so little to produce. That makes it not a failure again.

So let's recap, just because you dislike something doesn't mean it's a failure. Your taste is subjective and singular, and in no way on its own substantially representative of something's overall success or quality.
Flag
Staff
I was pointing out that ratings does not mean a show is a critical success. Of course they are different type of shows.

I don't find it funny, so its a failure. Not artsy, not entertaining, not my type of comedy.
Flag
Finally, someone else who isn't taken in by the over hyped Louie, lame show.
Flag
It really is amazing that NBC and Sony were able to keep the cast of Community as long as they did. All are extremely talented and are only going to take being screwed with so much. I hope Donald realizes the chemistry he has with the cast and rotates them in and out of the series at random. Especially Dani, Gillian and Alison.
Flag
Yeah, I agree. I would love to see some Community cameos on this new show.
Flag
I don't mind him going: it sounds harsh but at this point he's leaving a sinking ship... or what at least looks like MIGHT be a sinking ship.

He's pretty funny and has some comedy-writing experience so venturing out on his own is fine in my book.

Unless Dan Harmon can bring the funny in a serious way, him leaving is just another nail in the coffin.
Flag
In that poll, I wish I could select both "Sounds awesome! Can't wait to watch it," and "I'm still mad he's leaving Community." :P

I do wish him luck with this, and any future projects he might have, even if I am upset about his reduced role in Community season 5. While I can't know how good this show will be without more info and/or video previews, it does have potential, and a great fit for him.
Flag
Too bad for Community but at least he has a good reason for leaving.
Flag
None of the above. I'm sorry he's leaving community, but I wish him well in his next gig, but I don't see myself watching it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines
    NEW
    ABC