Community

Season 1 Episode 12

Comparative Religion

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 10, 2009 on NBC

Trivia

FILTER BY TYPE

• Trivia

• It's revealed that Jeff is 33 years old.

• Goof: Troy is mistaken -- Jehovah's Witnesses may, in fact, consume alcoholic beverages, provided that they do so in moderation (i.e. drunkenness, the misuse of alcohol, is considered the sin -- 1 Corinthians 6:10). Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), however, abstain from drinking of alcoholic and/or hot beverages. Also, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in celebrating religious holidays (which Troy does in this episode, as well as Dia De Los Muertos a few episodes earlier). Another tenet is to limit friendship and contact with those who are not fellow members of the church (something Troy certainly does not do on this show).

All of these things put together suggest that Troy has either been "disfellowshipped" (their version of an excommunication), or simply doesn't know enough about his family's religion to know what beliefs to adhere to.

• Abed is Muslim, Troy is a follower of Jehovah's Witness, Shirley is Christian, Annie is Jewish, Jeff is agnostic, Britta is an atheist, and Pierce claims to be Buddhist but isn't.

• Quotes

• Shirley: Oh look! Britta brought what she believes in - nothing.

• Shirley: Jeff, I have two boys. And when we have a serious discussion, I find that a brownie helps them relax. (Hands Jeff a brownie) So! Why do you hate me and Jesus?
      Jeff: I don't think my brownie's working.

• Shirley: What is going on?!
      Troy: We're trying to get Jeff ready for the fiiii...ght. (Whispers to Jeff) I couldn't think of another word.
      Jeff: Idiot. He meant we were fiii...-ting. (To Troy) It is hard to think of another word!

• Pierce: Well then it's settled. We have to teach Jeffrey how to fight. I know a few moves. Troy, I assume you're handy with a switch-blade. Abed, you get back to the family tent, try to find a chicken for Jeff to chase.

• Troy: The first time I was punched in the face I was like "Oh no!" but then I was like "This is a story".
      Jeff: And a good one.

• Mike: Oh you're funny. You're a funny man. Wanna hear something funny, funny man? Knock Knock. My fist up your balls.
      Jeff: Who's there?

• Mike: Give me a Winterdoodle!
      Jeff: If you are trying to be menacing, maybe don't call the cookie by its name.

• Mike: There are only Macadamia Nut cookies there! I have a tree-nut allergy.
      Abed: Then you should probably stay away from Christmas tree shaped cookies.
      Mike: (Mocking) Ha ha! That did not even make allergic sense. What are you, an idiot?

• Jeff: Oh, come on, Shirley, don't be mad.
      Shirley: I'm not mad, I'm disappointed.
      Jeff: That's mom for mad.

• Notes

• Allusions

• Jeff: ...as much as I hate you and the cast of Breakin'.

Jeff is referring to the 1984 movie Breakin', this is most likely a jibe at the way they are dressed.

• Jeff: The die has been cast with this crazy bully guy.

The phrase "the die is cast" (alea iacta est) is a famous quote by Julius Caesar as he crossed the River Rubicon to Northern Italy with his army.

More
Less