Community

Competitive Ecology

Aired Tuesday 12:00 AM Oct 06, 2011 on Yahoo

• The group gets split up during a biology project while Chang narrates his own life.

This episode was right on the threshold of falling below a 7. I'm not sure why I didn't latch onto this episode as much as the previous two. There was plenty of banter back and forth, great Troy/Abed moments, some funnier than normal Pierce moments... to be honest, maybe I'm not giving it enough credit. All I know is that right now, I just didn't get as good as a vibe from the episode as I usually do from the show.

What I liked the least was how strange the Chang plot feltSure, Ken Jeong sold the scenes very well, but watching him play a saxophone in his room by himself, wonder why his reflection is staring back at him and thinking there's a conspiracy involving an Arizona match-making company is ridiculous, even ridiculous for this show, which is filled with insane amounts of ridiculous stuff.

Maybe I'm complaining too much. I loved the "Todd" hate, as it gave us a new member of the school to pay attention to. We got the return of Magnitude (Michael K. Williams' quote to him was classic as well) and some great Dean lines. But overall, this stuff just wasn't meshing together as well as it usuall does.

The best scene of the episode was easily where the group argued in the study room, trying to figure out who is the most popular in the group, who is the least and why. It's filled dozens and dozens of great lines and it's fun to watch the group gradually wear down Todd, who starts off polite and willing to go along with everything and ends with him nearly crying and saying "Offense taken!"

Maybe the episode will resonate with me better on repeat viewings, but right now, I'm sticking with last week's episode as my favorite so far.