Community

Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 18, 2010 on NBC

7.3
  • Take the Community kids, some conspiracy movie cliche and a whole bunch of blankets, sit back and let the magic happen.

This show just keeps getting better and better.

In this outing, we have Jeff (Joel McHale) busted for faking a course credit. Perennial over-achiever Annie (Alison Brie) is, of course, outraged; meanwhile, the Dean (Jim Rash) demands proof of the existence of Professor Professorson, the faculty advisor in the so-called Conspiracy Studies. Everything that comes after that is simply an enigma inside a riddle wrapped up in a mystery served up on a platter of awesome. With gunplay.

Alison Brie acts her little opaque tights off in this one, and the ever-engaging Joel McHale shines as the calculating Jeff. I know I shouldn't be shipping these two -- Annie's barely legal, and Jeff's a thirty-something burnout with a proven track record of untrustworthiness -- but I can't help it. I love their dynamic, and this episode only serves to make the couple's appeal even stronger. (Especially as rival for Jeff's affections, Gillian Jacobs's harshly-used Britta, has proven herself to be even more dreary and self-important in this new season than the last.)

It was great to see the Dean get a little screentime here that wasn't ALL gay and/or fetish jokes (though much of it was, of course), and yes, that is Kevin Corrigan in there as the Professor; once perhaps best known among a certain segment of the population as Olivia's annoying bowling alley shrink in FRINGE, he's not nearly as annoying here.

The B plot of Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) and their phenomenal tent city brings us more of the usual random adorableness those two so often exhibit, and the "chase scene" throughout its blanketed precincts is absolutely priceless. (Hardly any Pierce and Shirley isn't too bad, either.)

All in all, this was a top drawer episode of COMMUNITY, in a season that has been bursting to the seams with same. Next lesson: "Mixology Certification". Can't wait!
MNT