Community

Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 17, 2011 on NBC

• Check Your Facts...

As a Zimbabwean and an African I am not sure whether to be insulted by the fact that the show placed my country's flag but identified it as Ghana's showing massive levels of ignorance and insensitivity to cultural diversity or to applaud the fact that if Indeed they knew what they were doing then it brings attention to how much Developed nations, especially the citizens, are ignorant and dismissive of issues surrounding developing countries. I know it seems like a rant but if you knew how the Image of a Chinese flag next to a Zimbabwean one is such a big issue you would understand (China is Bleeding Zimbabwean resources dry with help from Mugabe).

As for the rest of the episode it was good enough but the cold open just made me so made I can't be trusted for an impartial review.
  • Not the best, but not the worst episode.

Shirley's baby shower was ripe for jokes and entertaining (read funny) scenes. I was disappointed that it was not funnier. The whole, "..is Chang the father or not thing is getting old already). On the other hand, Britta's discoveries about the mysterious friend from Eastern Europe, was very Darkly humorous. If you allowed yourself to think about what horrible things this man may have done under the guise of "ethnic cleansing", you might go mad. The fact that Britta was afraid to tell Abed about him because of her record of destroying friendships in the past, was somewhat funny. I must also say that neither Chang or Jeff has been particularly funny lately. I hope this changes soon.
  • Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy...

After undertaking a Community marathon on a slow week a while back, I had been eagerly awaiting its return to my screen. Following the fantastic news that it had been picked up for a much deserved third season today, I was even more ecstatic. Fortunately, but to no great surprise, "Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy" didn't disappoint at all. The episode centers around Britta getting friendly with Abed and Troy's new friend Luka and Shirley trying to get Chang to give up any potential parental rights to her unborn child. After the guys tell Britta that she isn't allowed to tell them anything about the mutual friends that she hooks up with, for fear of her ruining them, she is conflicted when she learns that Luka is a genocidal soldier from the eastern bloc. Whilst the story in of itself isn't overwhelmingly funny, the back and forth that Abed and Troy get to give to Britta is, as always, outstanding. The much more humorous story this week lay in Jeff barely trying to help Shirley's cause. Seeing an opportunity to get Chang to sort out his life and move out of his apartment, Jeff convinces him that he could be a father if he grew up. What follows is one of the funniest weird little men on television being as funny and as weird as ever. Ultimately, when Chang takes it too far and kidnaps small children, Jeff becomes the authoritative figure that he tries so hard not to be, and shows Chang the error of his ways. The only fault in this episode is the significant lack of Chevy Chase, but given that the balance of screen time is generally distributed evenly between this superb cast, he'll no doubt be back in full force next week.