Community

For a Few Paintballs More

Aired Tuesday 12:00 AM May 12, 2011 on Yahoo

7.2
  • Epic

The "Community" paintball episode "Modern Warfare" from season one might have been the most epic episode of the show's freshman season. It was so good that both fans and the show wanted more paintball and more paintball is exactly what we got. The two part episode "A Fist Full of Paintballs" & "For a Few Paintballs More" mimicked the themes of spaghetti Westerns and "Star Wars" … Westerns for part one and "Star Wars" for part two. Overall, I preferred the Western theme of part one (though I am a huge Westerns buff). It also helped that part one included a big name guest star in "Lost" alum Josh Holloway as a hired gun aiming to end the hopes of Greendale's paintballers. I think that the theme in part one was played up quite a bit more than the "Star Wars" theme in part two, because they really could've overdone things with that theme. Despite preferring part one's Western theme, I do believe that part two was the funnier of the two overall. There were many things that I really liked about "For a Few Paintballs More," so many that it's probably easier to break paragraph form and talk about them as individual points.

· "Star Wars" theme: Though I'm honestly not a "Star Wars" geek, I really appreciated some of the aspects of what the "Community" writers were trying to do with this. I really liked that they made Abed (Danny Pudi) the Han Solo hero type, because you just figured going in that would be left to Jeff Winger (Joel McHale), which Abed hilariously alludes to in the episode. · Abed & Annie Relationship: Maybe it was just that Abed as the Han Solo type made Annie (Alison Brie) really hot for him, but there could definitely be a budding relationship brewing between the two for season three. I certainly approve of this, though it could/would have a negative effect on the Abed/Troy (Donald Glover) bromance. ·Jeff Winger: The show makes a big deal of Jeff being the "leader" of the study group, in fact there are probably jokes about this in almost every episode. So, when you have an ongoing paintball war you probably expect for Jeff to play a big part in leading our group of misfit heroes to glory. He attempted just that … but, was the first of the main cast to be eliminated from the contest, which was the absolute best move I believe the writers could've made. ·Pierce: Pierce (Chevy Chase) has been a jerk for the majority of the season and Chase has done a fantastic job portraying that. It was nice to see Pierce kind of get a little bit of redemption by tricking the City College hoodlums at the paintball war's end to win for Greendale. As a result of this the study group was going to let Pierce remain, until the writers threw a big cliffhanger in at the finale's end when Pierce tells the group that he doesn't want to be back in. Is this it for Pierce and Chevy Chase on "Community"? My guess is not even close, but you never can tell. We shall see at the beginning of season three.