Community Forums

NBC (ended 2014)

2x11 Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas Episode Discussion

AllieAllie

[1]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 22

I didn't see a thread for this ep so I made it myself. I really liked this ep, thought it was gewd What did everyone else think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

empirejeff

[2]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 7

it was really good

morty1988

[3]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 8
    I did not like it very much. However it was another episode where community raised the bar again. its becoming a very good show.

IndianaMom

[4]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 54
    It was really good. I don't know how long I can go on saying that this show keeps getting better and better.

Heptagram

[5]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 12

I thought it was a funny episode and it really showed that Community is one of the best.

haldrey

[6]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 22
    No, did not care for it, for me it was not even funny.

lil89

[7]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 5

It sure was different, but funny and sweet. Felt so bad for Abed when his mom didn't show up. Clearly this whole animated-story was a defence mechanism for Abed, which shows that Community goes deeper than the obvious comedy.

panetero

[8]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 6

I liked this show when it was "obvious" comedy. I mean, barely any Señor Chang on season 2 (WTF?), less Chevy Chase's offensive jokes, and more strange Abed subplots that I find really annoying and not funny at times.

I started watching Community at the same time than I started with Modern Family. Season 1, I really prefered Community over MF, now I don't. I can't really say why, because I haven't really deeply analyzed what things have changed in both shows, but I feel like Community has changed a lot, when I fell in love with a show that was ridiculous in a good way. And yes, it was obvious, yet hilarious. In Señor Chang's words from the beginning of season 2: GA-YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Edited on 12/17/2010 4:11am

kanniballl

[9]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 18

I'm still enjoying the series, though I admit some things changed since Season 1.

As for the poster that comments on we're getting more "Abed-specific" stuff, I think it's the network/writers reacting to the fans. Abed has a great following on the show. His jokes, his 4th wall breaking moments, his quirks, etc. So they probably decided to amp up his lines and storylines to give people what they want, though I think they might be overdoing it a little.

Chevy Chase, I do recall more hot-topic stuff in Season 1 than now. But I do recall him having one of two zingers in there. Maybe it was a survey thing and people thought he was too unlikable. I doubt Chevy would have an issue doing obviously ignorant hot-topic things, I mean look at his old Richard Prior sketch on SNL... and that was on a while ago.

As for episodes or storylines closer to Season 1...

I enjoyed Troy turning 21. That was fun, and Abed had a great number of understated parts.

I liked the Trampoline storyline more than the Abed-fitting-in storyline.

Jeff's old law firm bit was great, including a nice appearance by Drew Carrey.

The Halloween one was good, seemed like it was a break from reality like the Paintball one they had last season (which is still one of my favorite sitcom episodes of all time).

I would like to see more Senor Chang though, he hardly has any scenes anymore. Though to be honest, he wasn't rolling in scenes back in Season 1... it's just that they were some memorable.

Still, one of my favorite scenes of Community was in Season 2, when the psychologic (Ian?) was tormenting Chang with his "forcefield" in the cafeteria. Running around, the intense background noise/music, etc. Then Chang falls, Ian smiles, and you realise that creepy sound stopped.

Edited on 01/10/2011 9:48am

kanniballl

[10]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 18

Also, in Abed vs Ian...

I think it's great that Abed has a tendency to reflect Ian's psychology back at him.

- First in "Social Psychology" when he makes Ian wait for Abed (instead of the other way around) and Ian has a class-A hissy fit.

- Then in "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" when he makes Ian demonstrate the memory crystal and thus relive a traumatic birthday part out loud.

Though Ian did send Abed into an apparently catatonic state towards the end of the episode. So I guess the score is:

Abed: 2

Ian: 1