Community Forums

NBC (ended 2014)

Dan Harmon Leaving the Show

AllieAllie

[1]May 18, 2012
    • level: 22

http://tvline.com/2012/05/18/community-season-4-dan-harmon-out/

Im so upset over this :/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gilda

[2]May 18, 2012
    • level: 4

"Dan Harmon, who will take on a consulting producer role"
    well at least hes not fully gone, he will still have a voice in what happens in the show. I just hope it doesn't drop in quality and is still funny. But man alot ofthings have happened to this showin the past couple of weeks and most dont seem that good :/

Nashirathena

[3]May 20, 2012
    • level: 14

Gilda wrote:

"Dan Harmon, who will take on a consulting producer role"
    well at least hes not fully gone, he will still have a voice in what happens in the show. I just hope it doesn't drop in quality and is still funny. But man alot ofthings have happened to this showin the past couple of weeks and most dont seem that good :/

Nope. According to Harmon:
    You may have read that I am technically "signed on," by default, to be an executive consulting something or other - which is a relatively standard protective clause for a creator in my position. Guys like me can't actually just be shot and left in a ditch by Skynet, we're still allowed to have a title on the things we create and "help out," like, I guess sharpening pencils and stuff.

However, if I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldn't have any power there. Nobody would have to do anything I said, ever. I would be "offering" thoughts on other people's scripts, not allowed to rewrite them, not allowed to ask anyone else to rewrite them, not allowed to say whether a single joke was funny or go near the edit bay, etc. It's….not really the way the previous episodes got done. I was what you might call a….hands on producer. Are my….periods giving this enough….pointedness? I'm not saying you can't make a good version of Community without me, but I am definitely saying that you can't make my version of it unless I have the option of saying "it has to be like this or I quit" roughly 8 times a day.
    [...]
    Where was I? Oh yeah. I'm not running Community for season 4. They replaced me. Them's the facts.

Gilda

[4]May 20, 2012

yeah i read his blog after posting here. and now im nervous about whats going to happen. lets just hope the new writters are smart and ask him for some advice. cuz i just want the format/style or quality to change.

Gilda

[5]May 20, 2012

sorry i just DONT want the style/format or quality to change