Community Forums

NBC (ended 2014)

Why is this forum so dead?

moatilliatta85

[1]May 16, 2010
    • level: 6

I love this show and I think it's one of a handful of shows that are actually entertaining to watch on TV. Oddly, no one seems to watch it and that seems evidenced by the lack of activity in this forum.

Why is that? Good thing it got picked up for next season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Evan0007

[2]May 16, 2010
    • level: 5

Without a doubt it's the best network comedy this year. It's 'Streets Ahead' of Modern Family, Glee or Cougar Town, (I still can't believe how good Cougar Town is.) however, it remains completely under the radar.

Everyone I have shown it to absolutely adores it, the fact that it got picked up for a second season gives all us fans a chance to spread the word over the summer. None of us want another 'Arrested Development' situation on our hands.

ILoveSitcoms

[3]May 17, 2010
    • level: 3
    It seems that all forums at TV.com are dead. I suspect it's mostly because forum discussion is a dying internet hotspot. The discussions are probably happening on Facebook or some other social networking place I have no interest in joining. The show is simply terrific. Most definitely "Streets Ahead". The fast-paced banter is unmatched amongst current television comedies. It's a mix of the best of NewsRadio (mercifully without the laughtrack) and Arrested Development (thankfully without the stilted voiceover).

TypeB

[4]May 18, 2010

I love this show. I thought it started out a little weak at first, but it's definitely awesome now.

The main forums here on TV.com do seem pretty dead, but the other shows' individual forums are doing better compared to this one. And have any of you noticed how "Topslots" hardly mentions "Community"? I swear, the first 3 pages contain multiple threads of the same shows over and over: "The Mentalist", "Bones", "Lost", and "Glee". Is it because more people are drawn to discuss drama/action shows and Glee (I guess)?

HelloStuart

[5]May 20, 2010
    • level: 63
    ILoveSitcoms wrote:
    It seems that all forums at TV.com are dead. I suspect it's mostly because forum discussion is a dying internet hotspot. The discussions are probably happening on Facebook or some other social networking place I have no interest in joining. The show is simply terrific. Most definitely "Streets Ahead". The fast-paced banter is unmatched amongst current television comedies. It's a mix of the best of NewsRadio (mercifully without the laughtrack) and Arrested Development (thankfully without the stilted voiceover).

I wouldn't say discussion boards are dying per se, though it doesn't have the same-size slice of the pie it used to. Plus, a lot of people have been banned from this site for frivelous reasons.

sherv22

[6]May 20, 2010
    • level: 14

Certain forums are very active, usually those with a really devoted fan base. I enjoy the show and think it's grown to be one of the funniest things on TV when it's clicking, but it doesn't seem to be engendering a rabid following here. Maybe season 2? Community did have a slow start.

Sora529

[7]May 21, 2010
    • level: 2

I hardly ever actually post on these forums, but I do like reading other people's posts.

As for the reason this is pretty dead, I would think it has something to do with this being a comedy. I think Drama/Action shows have more to discuss because they are more plot-driven, and plot twists are just more interesting to discuss than jokes. Even huge comedy hits like The Big Bang Theory and The Office don't have a particularily active board. I also know that this show doesn't have the same kind of dedicated fan base as, say Chuck for example (even though it only draws 6-7 million a week, they're the most vocal 6-7 million fans of any show on TV right now, bar none)

Frenz9

[8]May 23, 2010
    • level: 10
    Best comedy this season, i find that with most comedy's there is not much discussion. Personally i think there is enough character development here to still have plenty to talk about.

IndianaMom

[9]May 25, 2010
    • level: 54
    I'm on tv.com a lot, but I rarely go to the forums. I've felt shut out of some, so I'm wary.

TypeB

[10]May 27, 2010
    The forums on "How I Met Your Mother" seems fairly active for a comedy, probably because the audience is pretty divided at the moment. Some still love it, while are others are feeling let down by this season and/or the past one. But yes, I agree that drama/action shows have a lot more active discussion, because people like to discuss about more complicated plots.

I'm thinking maybe if the forums of individual shows are connected to the main forums, that would make them more accessible.

thetruesora

[11]May 28, 2010
    • level: 22
    With How I Met Your Mother it's been on 5 years and has a long overall story arc and somewhat unique storytelling with all the flashbacks and usually amazing continuity.

TypeB

[12]May 29, 2010
    ^^^ Good point. There does seem to be a lot of things to discuss about that show.

skausitos

[13]May 30, 2010
    • level: 1
    I had to join TV.com and rate this show all up to 10 so I will see more of this amazing comedy!

jokall

[14]Jun 27, 2010

This is one of the BEST sitcoms on TV now!!

CosmoCramer1

[15]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 10
    ILoveSitcoms wrote:

"Streets Ahead" just made me literally laugh OUT loud!

Also, I agree. It's fresh, and has a nice mix of zany and real life. A great fun show with unique characters.

ilex91

[16]Jun 29, 2010

I really like Community so far - its on the Go! channel here in Australia (digital free-to-air) and we're up to episode 16. But what confuses me is how come all the episode scores are so low? They all have heaps of votes, but every episode has a score of 6.something. I don't remember seeing any other show which consistantly had such poor scores. How come? I thought this show was considered quite good. How can 100-200 people be all agreeing that every episode of Community is worse then pretty much anything else on TV.

torontogirl98

[17]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 19
    I am guessing because no one goes into the forums anymore just posting comments on the main page, reviews ect. I am on this site almost daily and haven't been on the forums forever probably this show is so great there is nothing to complain about or ask questions about.

andrea88888

[18]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 1

Interesting comments.

I am a big fan of The Office, and have been a member of a particular discussion forum devoted to that show since S3, back in 2007! That was actually the forum's heyday too, and it has lost a lot of members since, and as a result the daily post count is down quite a lot too. But, there is a faithful remnant who have stuck around and who have gotten to know each other quite well through the years.

Over there, we don't just talk about The Office. I think it's safe to say that Community (along with Parks and Rec, Mad Men, and maybe Chuck) are the general favourites of the group over there, and we talk about them quite a lot.

I'm not trying to steal from here, but simply provide an alternative place, where we actually do discuss the episodes, and while we may not get as much response as we used to get, we're certainly talking more about Community there than we are here.

The forum is called Northern Attack, and you can find it at http://forums.northernattack.com. It was one of the two original discussion forums back in the day, and Jenna even mentioned NA on the S2 DVD episode commentaries.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I actually did come here to find another community of TV fans to talk with about some shows, but apparently NA isn't the only place going through withdrawls. Which is too bad.

IndianaMom

[19]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 54
    I'd like to see more discussion, too. There's so much to talk about concerning this show. There are all these hidden messages. It helps to follow Dan Harmon and the stars on Twitter. They'll point things out sometimes. All the characters have twitter accounts, too, but they haven't been on much since just before the first episode.