Community

Geography of Global Conflict

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 2011 on NBC

7.2
  • Annie meets an arch-nemesis while Britta goes back (again) to her protesting roots.

Community is a show that, even on an off week, is still extremely hilarious. I wouldn't call last week "off" exactly, but it felt like it was missing something. The group didn't feel as together as it usually does, and I love the show when they work together. This week, we see a lot of what I love most about the show: the characters all bouncing off of each other and giving us some great lines.

The episode mainly revolves around Annie meeting another Annie who is basically her alter ego. They're both ambitious and smart and want to win at everything they do. So when "our Annie" comes up with the idea to start a "model U.N" for the school, her professor, Professor Cligoris (pronounced however you want and played subtly by Martin Starr) agrees to have a "Model U.N off." Basically, both of the Annies will go up against each other.

The competition between the two reminded me of the Debate episode from Season 1... so far, I have to say that the show has been pretty great and not over-doing the humor. The references to stuff are more subtle and the themed episodes (so far) haven't snuck in. Then again, we're only two episodes into the season, and we have a ways to go.

Some highlights off the top of my head: Abed's subtle Fringe references, with the whole "Earth 1 and Earth 2" things (also, I thought it was clever how they made the teams "red" and "blue," which is the colors of the title screen for Fringe), Troy doing a Georgia accent for Georgia, the country, the whole "I farted" scene, with Jeff yelling, "I wasn't trying to do Spartacus!" A lot of great little jokes scattered throughout the episode (but no Dean! I was disappointed that he didn't get at least a couple of scenes).

As for Britta and Chang, they got some screen time today, and besides some excellent Britta moments, the plot as a whole fell flat. But I have to say: Britta did an excellent job here. Much props to Gillian Jacobs for holding it on her own.