Community

Interpretive Dance

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 21, 2010 on NBC

6.8
  • Troy and Britta take the main stage in a hilarious and unique episode.

I love the Troy and Britta pairing. I'm actually a little disappointed that it hasn't been explored further in the second season. The two characters have awesome chemistry which makes them all the more perfect for a dance routine. And let's face it, it is a perfect opportunity for Donald Glover to show off how incredibly charming he is. Annie's reaction to their chemistry makes it all the better, especially since she was my least favorite character of the first season. Because of this episode, she started to grow on me.

For Jeff's plot, the gang's reaction to his announcement with Professor Slater was very funny. It makes perfect sense that Abed would see her as his new mother figure, and that sparked the start of Shirley's subtle obsession with different kinds of cheese. Overall, the main plot was incredibly charming, and the smaller stories running with it were lovely as well.
  • Jeff reveals to the group that he has started up a relationship with Professor Slater (from Episode 7). Troy and Britta reveal that they've been taking dance classes.

In this episode, Jeff appears to have moved on from his obsession with Britta to date Professor Slater, first introduced in Episode 7 (Introduction to Statistics). However, when confronted with the idea of being Slater's "boyfriend" Jeff admits his problems with commitment. Meanwhile, Troy has taken on modern dance to help his football game but realizes that he loves it. Britta catches him dancing as she arrives for her own tap class. They resolve to come out to the group together that they're both dancing in advance of an upcoming recital, but at the last minute, Troy backs out due to embarrassment. Shirley expresses some concern about Britta being able to cope with Jeff's dating but Britta shrugs it off as she doesn't expect Jeff to be able to maintain a serious relationship. Finally, at the recital, Britta finds herself stunned when she sees Jeff and Slater holding hands in the audience; the two having agreed to make the relationship work. Paralyzed on stage, Troy leaps up and helps her through with an improvised performance. Jeff presents Britta with flowers at the end for a job well-done, leaving Britta smiling but emotionally confused.

This episode took on a decidedly more character-driven tone and showed a lot more maturity than previous episodes, albeit at the expense of the normal volume of laughs. It does, however, establish that the show is prepared to move forward from the initial Jeff-Britta relationship and open the door for greater development. That being said, I couldn't help but shake shadows of Pam-Jim (the Office) and Ross-Rachel (Friends) will-they/won't-they sentiment which can be dangerous for a show if they toy with it for too long. I appreciate what they're doing with the show (and parts were certainly touching) but I'll save full marks for funnier episodes.
  • Despite the title, the main theme of this episode is secrets, specifically, Jeff, Britta, and Troy's.

"Interpretive Dance" (ep: 1x14) seemed to be a major turning point in the show for three reasons. First, it finally put some of the romantic stakes on the table with Britta all but actually admitting her feelings for Jeff. Second, by bringing in almost non-stop laughs from start to finish. Community has always been consistent in this department, which is the main reason I keep watching, but this episode took it to a new level. Third, I really enjoyed the ongoing development of the characters, like Jeff, who I was convinced would screw things up with Professor Slater. I also dug the hilarious reveal of both, Jeff's affair, and Britta and Troy's secret. The latter is worthy of note because it furthers the idea of finding oneself in college; a theme the show has touched upon more than once.