Community

Introduction to Statistics

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 29, 2009 on NBC

7.1
  • Abed's Batman was kind of genius

Most people have been down on Community, claiming it hasn't lived up to the pilot episode. I feel the complete opposite. Since I never found the premiere all that amazing, I felt the show has been improving with each new episode. I think "Introduction to Statistics" is easily their best offering.

The idea of Jeff perusing someone besides Britta was welcome, and I'm as curious as anyone else to know if she really was a bit jealous. Shirley did most of her fighting for her- ripping off the antenna of the hot professor's car, and trying to hose her office! She got a nice speech about how she was expressing her own feelings of getting hurt by a man. (Britta still snapped a trophy in her office though) Weaker elements of the show was Annie's needing Jeff to be at her party because he's the "cool" one (what?) and Pierce tripping out on drugs. I also wish we could have got a bit more from the Stat professor, but hopefully we'll see more of her in the future. Chen had a great line about having the body of a 5th grader! This was the Halloween episode, I'm a sucker for these- especially on sitcoms, and surely enough, the costumes brought some great laughs. Britta, who I'm finally starting to warm up to, was completely covered up as a squirrel; her commentary on the holiday being an excuse for girls to dress like sluts. Counter that with Annie dressed as a sexy skeleton, lol! Nice, ;)
    Shirley was trying to pull off Harry Potter, but because she's black, people assumed she was Steve Urkel, lol. Pierce had a full-on muscle suit + bird on arm, and was proud to be The Beastmaster. I loved how the 80s icon went right over other people's heads. Troy was the toughest to figure out; the stash and red jacket evoked Michael Jackson's Thriller or maybe another 80s icon like Prince or that dude from Miami Vice. After some research, I found out he was Eddie Murphy-circa Delirious. Random, but funny. Jeff, predictably, wasn't the costume type, but thankfully, and probably even more predictably, he eventually did dress up- as a cowboy. Plain, but knowing the character, this still provided some smiles. The the best costume of the night hands down went to Abed's Batman. Not that the outfit was good, but how far he went with the character. His Christian Bale-rasp was spot on, and his monologue at the close of the episode killed:

"If I stay, there can be no party. I must be out there in the night, staying vigilant. Wherever a party needs to be saved, I'm there. Wherever there are masks, wherever there's tomfoolery and joy, I'm there. But sometimes I'm not cause I'm out in the night, staying vigilant. Watching. Lurking. Running. Jumping. Hurtling. Sleeping. No, I can't sleep. You Sleep. I'm awake. I don't sleep. I don't blink. Am I bird? No. I'm a bat. I am Batman. Or am I? Yes, I am Batman. Happy Halloween."
  • Community hits the genius button and creates quite possibly one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a network sitcom.

Now this episode was really good. The first 7 episodes were good but they didn't hit a new stratosphere of comedy until this episode. It focused on Jeff trying to hit on the statistics Professor during the midst of a Halloween party. Now what sets this episode to a new stratosphere is Danny Pudi aka Abed's Batman impersonation, granted the Dark Knight had come a little over a year from when this episode aired but man I was laughing at the impersonation of Batman in the episode, and especially the jokes. It was a nonstop array of jokes from the beginning to the end, such as Annie talking about being so unpopular the crossing guard guided her into traffic, or Senor Chang's ridiculous outfit and his scooter, and who can forget Troy asking Batman whether he was handsome (Now that's funny). It was just so bizarre, of course the best part of this episode was Abed as Batman saving Pierce and Jeff. This episode was entertaining and funny nonstop definitely one of the best episodes of the first season of Community.

You'd think the episode was a step in the right direction since it was a Halloween episode, but surely, it was not. The story lines are just pointless and uninteresting. The characters remain an entertaining bunch that cannot hold an entire series together.

You know it's really sad considering I saw so much potential in this show when it started. But now I just can't wait till the episode ends. Is there any substance to this show? I mean it's far from funny in my book, and the story lines are just too ridiculous for my liking.

The only reason I continue watching is because of the characters. Also, you'd think the show would be good considering how much everyone talks about it on a weekly basis.
  • Greatly needed?

Community,
    Introduction to Statistics, - In this episode Annie has a halloween party for extra credit. Something no other student has ever done. However, her parties fail as people leave so they can catch the news. She goes around demanding everybody to go because she truly doesnt want to fail. Jeff on the other hand doesnt want to attened, he wants to go out with his statisitics teacher. However the teacher shows no interests in dating a student much to his dismay. Shirley takes her wedding ring off for the first time since the divorce and "tries" to move on. At the party Pierce becomes embarresed that he has to take an "old person's pill" and trades pills with another druggie to look cool. Shirley goes nuts after her ex comes back for the ring. Jeff sneaks out of Annie's party to go hang out with the teacher. Senor Chang gives himsom advice on how to score with the teacher. Everybody comes rushing back to get Jeff to help Pierce who has gone crazy at Annie's party and has built a hut out of tables and chairs. Shirly targets the teacher and wrecks her car and her awards. In the end Jeff talks Pierce out of his troubles and batman saves them both. Overall this was a great episode. I dont know why it is getting such a low score on tv.com The best part of this episode was Abed as Batman.
  • It's the Day of the Dead (Halloween) celebration at community college and Annie is throwing a big party. She pleads with Jeff to come as that means the party will be cool. Jeff has set his sites on dating the statistic professor which may cause waves.

Maybe the best of the episodes of Community so far. Unfortunately it came with the help of the Halloween holiday. A natural time for people to act freaky even when they already are most of the times.

Lauren Stamile is a breath of fresh air as the statistics professor Jeff has set his sites on. She actually seems to find Jeff attractive too, but she won't date students even though she has graded his tests and won't have to worry about feeling mentally in-antiquate to him. Annie has planned the big bash for the Day of the Dead celebration and really pleads with Jeff to come as otherwise everyone will be leaving to get home to see the evening news. Abed is great as Batman and Pierce comes as Beastmaster. How appropriate as Marc "Beastmaster" Singer comes to mind for his role as the star in the original V series being dug up and redone next week.

Jeff is shot down by his professor so he comes to the party but soon finds out there is a teacher party in another building. He was wearing no costume, but when he talks Senor Chang into taking him out comes a very professional looking cowboy costume. Of course Britta could care less, but Annie is devastated and by this time Pierce has traded some of his prescription medicine for uppers and is tripping.

So while Jeff is making time with the Professor the whole gang shows up pleading with him to save the other party and Pierce. He turns them down but soon finds his heart is in the right place and withdraws form an evening with the Professor to save Pierce and the party.

The episode ends with another of the great bits at the end with Troy and Abed. These are quickly becoming great signature scenes which I believe people are actually looking forward to now.

This could be the best episode so far. Let's see if they can maintain the momentum. I really hope we see more of that statistics professor too. Thanks for reading...
  • Halloween episodes are always fun times.

In mostly every show I've watched this year, the Halloween episodes are just pure, unadulterated fun. And this episode was no exception. There wasn't much in the way of plots, but there was some great sight gags and some hilarious moments.

Abed as Batman stood out to me, and watching the episode again on Hulu made me realize how funny it actually was. Anyone can talk like Batman, in Christian Bale's deep brooding voice. But hearing it from Abed, the movie fan of the century, was hilarious. The tag at the end of the episode, with Troy and him talking back and forth, was great.

I wasn't a huge fan of Pierce's bad trip off of the medicine he traded. It was a little strange and the weird images superimposed on the screen didn't do anything for me at all. However, I do like how Jeff went to the party in a cowboy costume he had from when he was younger, and everybody seemed to have at least a couple good lines. I wasn't expecting much out of an episode like this, but it was funny nonetheless.
MNT