Community

Paradigms of Human Memory

Aired Tuesday 12:00 AM Apr 21, 2011 on Yahoo

• Paradigms of Human Memory...

Although the concept of bottle episodes was something that I was aware of, I'd never really come across one that wasn't directly referencing that it was one until this week's Community. "Paradigms of Human Memory" sees just about nothing happen whilst the study group reflects on previously unseen events from the year past.

Whilst the group is making a diorama about making a diorama, Troy's monkey from season 1 episode "Contemporary American Poultry" appears and runs away into the ventilation shaft of the study room with a paint brush. This sparks the most unnecessary and random scene that Community has ever aired when Chang enters, dressed only in speedos, and chases the monkey into the vent. Searching the vent, Chang then discovers the horde of items that "Annie's Boobs" has been collecting over the year and brings them out for the rest of the group to see, leading to a series of "remember when?" moments that constitute most of the episode.

In amongst the various memories we see the group visit a ghost town before being chased out by a prospector in long red underwear; fill in for the glee club after their untimely demise by singing only the word sing and we get to see a human perspective of "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" in which the entire cast was clay-mated. The only real plot development point of the episode was the revelation that Jeff and Britta had been hooking up in secret, however, even that potential paradigm shifting discovery was short lived when, upon the group deciding that it would be fine if they continued their relationship, they decided to stop.

When it comes down to it, "Paradigms of Human Memory" was just about as bad as Community has ever been. Whether the writers simply ran out of steam towards the end of the season, or were truly saving their budget to make the upcoming paintball episode as big as possible remains to be seen, but I really do hope that this filler episode isn't a reflection of the rest of the end of the season, or the new season to come. Every show is entitled to bad episodes and we can only hope that Community has just gotten its quota over and done with. That being said, a bad episode of Community still blows mostly everything else on TV out of the water.