Community

NBC (ended 2014)

I_LOVE_NCIS

Community Fan Reviews page 3 of 4

• Has its moments

This is a pretty good show, the characters are funny, especially Troy and Abed,

It's diverse and unique, and overall a well developed and funny show.

Also the paintball episodes were awesome! xD
  • I love the show!

I am really enjoying this show, it is funny, it has great characters, they come up with some original jokes. every episode is different from the last, which makes every episode fun to watch. it is my favorite show at the moment. i can't wait for the triple episodes this week.
  • Copied off the big bang theory?

WTF, no it didnt, jeff and leonard are nothing alike, penny is the exactly the kind of person Britta hates and the only similarity between sheldon and abed is they both have some kind of disorder, abeds character is 100x funnier! the only similarity between any of these characters is that thyre the same sex.
  • TBBT? Seriously?

This might be the most brilliantly written comedy since Arrested Development. It doesn't insult the audience with tired cliches or a ridiculously outdated laugh track. Guess what? If a show is ACTUALLY funny, we don't need long pauses filled with fake laughter to be TOLD when to laugh. TBBT is more popular because it has a larger demographic. Namely: people who think that the punchline to every joke should be 'they're REALLY nerdy'. We get it. Hilarious.
  • TBBT is way better

This show copied the best comedy on tv right now,The Big Bang Theory!Britta is Penny,the main guy is leonard,the guy who talks too much is Sheldon/Raj,I just don't find it funny,i watched the first two episodes,and i just don't like it,The Big Bang Theory on the other hand is just too funny and it's my favorite show.I just don't like community,and also Penny says she never when to community collage in the 2nd season.Just don't judge me,i simply don't like it
  • So underated yet so good

I read an article about this show being canceled and i watched the first episode to see why.

Once i started the first ep i can't stop and spent 6 hours straight watching the later episodes. The chemistry between the actors are one or if not the best available now. The pop culture references are almost always spot on and don't feel a little bit pushy like in The Big Bang Theory. Maybe i was just sick of watching comedy sitcoms with laugh tracks in the background telling us when to laugh.

Probably that.

I finished the first season and asked my friends if they have watched the show. To my surprise none of them have ever heard of the show. Maybe the title of the show isn't as appealing to most people but the show is the best comedy sitcom i have ever watched since Scrubs ended.

• WAKE UP NBC

I HAPPEN TO WATCH THIS SHOW IN PASSING BECAUSE I NOTICE THE NAME KEPT POPPING UP...WHERE HAVE I BEEN!?! THIS SHOW IS SO FREAKING FUNNY...WHY IS IT KEPT SO QUIET? SHOUT IT OUT, NBC...YOU HAVE A WINNER ON UR HANDS...PLAY THE EARLIER EPISODES ON DIFFERENT CHANNELS LIKE THESE OTHER SHOWS DO...SPREAD THE LOVE AND GET THIS NAME OUT! THE CAST IS 2 FUNNY, I'M SO GLAD I CAME ACROSS IT!
  • Light-hearted and Fun.

An enjoyable show.

Hopefully it will get many more seasons.

Ken Jeong as Seor Chang has some great moments.
  • "Community" is my new favourite show. It has everything I love and long for in a good comedy: a great cast, some dry-wit writing and a lot of popculture references!

Admittedly, I am a little addicted to this edgy comedy. The ensemble cast works like a neat little machine because they're all funny, touching, unbelievably annoying and quirky in their own way. They all get their chance to shine due to the great writing.

Jeff (Joel McHale) serves as the protagonist and 'straight man' of the group. He has a lot on his plate as he tries to work his way through community college because his law degree was not valid. Turns out, Columbia, the country, is not the same as Columbia, the prestigious Ivy League-university. He joins a Spanish study-group as he tries to hit on Britta (Gillian Jacobs), a beautiful but highly judgmental and insecure girl. Aside from being a major buzz-kill, she's been in The Peace Corps and is a vegetarian.

Abed (Danny Pudi), the socially awkward popculture-enthusiast and Troy (Donald Glover), the former high school jock, are sweet and silly as a truly bromantic couple. Their chemistry is so good that one would honestly believe them to be friends in real life. "Troy and Abed in the Morning" should be an actual show, I'd definitely watch it. And then there's Pierce, a gentleman with race-issues, played by the brilliant Chevy Chase. Pierce is a bit older than the rest, and sometimes doesn't really follow the conversation, although he's had a blooming international career in the moist towlette-business.

Annie (Allison Brie) is the youngest of the group. She starts community college after no other university would take her after she had a mental breakdown in high school. She's very ambitious and bossy, but looks up to the other members of the study-group, Jeff in particular. Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) is a 40-something divorced Christian housewife with (MINOR SPOILER) three children. She attends Greendale in order to get a degree in business.

Beside this great ensemble cast, the secondary characters are equally fun and lovable. Ken Jeong steals the show as the borderline psychopath Senor Chang, and Jim Rash obviously has the time of his life playing the bi-curiously flamboyant Dean Pelton, who obsessively wants Greendale to be a real university. I can go on and and on...!

This show is brilliant because it addresses a lot of sitcom-staples, and it even uses in-jokes to emphasize its own absurdity. It deals with problems but never gets corny or sappy. And it thankfully doensn't use a laughtrack which, in my opinion, makes it all the better. Eventhough I personally don't think that the pilot is the best episode, I'd recommend everyone to start watching "Community", you'll fall in love with it!

• Best show on TV

This show is great. I never miss it and watch many episodes repeatedly.
  • Funniest Sitcom on TV

It's original, great characters and an excellent cast to pair it with. The writing in this show is simply fantastic. A refreshing change of pace in the sitcom world. Best comedy show on TV right now, period. If you don't like this show, you must hate laughing.
  • Needs to Return!

This show is amazing, I can't believe NBC isn't pumping out as much of this as they can! Bring back this witty show!
  • Community Rocks!

I can agree that Big Bang was a great show about science geeks, which I love, but it has lacked in the past two seasons. Community has never failed in any way, it has and always be the funniest show ever! From not needing a laugh track, to chases around the set (which isn't an apartment or coffee shop) all the references they do, it's the best show. Phenominal writing, the actors, I can't pick a favourite, they are all fantastic! Keep writing and voicing to the networks, we need our Community back!!
  • i love it!!

im addicted!! =] yay i love it, i love Abed we both always watch tv. im glad this show was made, my brother always uses those stupid references from Family guy, i mean i get Family Guy's references, but him constantly using them made me hate shows that have tv or movie references. I really have to thank tv.com because they constant complaint of this show being off-air made me curious to try this show and when i discovered the beauty of it, i fell in love! <3 and im the only person in my high school who watches this show so i guess i have good taste =]
  • The two greatest Comedys of this century

Even though i think The Big Bang Theory is the best comedy of this century Community is such a close follow up that some episodes beat the crap out of some of The Big Bang Theory's episodes. And this can't be said enough "Abed rules"
  • The Best and one of the greatest

I can recall a lot of great shows, especially of late, so many shapes and size, with great actors and stories, but this one tops most of not all of them!!

You have to see it to believe it, what starts as a typical comedy, evolve to an amazing mix of every entertainment in modern society, from remix of old TV shows, movies, musicals and video games, and uses every trick in the visual book to tell great, funny, emotional stories, that keeps you smiling for the rest of the week, till the next episode.

so we got a great cast, great writing, great imagination and appreciation to anything done before them, which leads to one of the best show ever made! THERE'S SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE!

Now this is my first and probably last review i make on a show, but when i saw it didn't return from the mid-season break i got worried, don't let them take it off the air, this show is great!
  • Back to school...

I started to watch this show while waiting for some others that i'm following to resume. So i didn't expect much as to be entertained briefly. The show took me by surprise and, as i watch more and more, i find myself loving it. The characters are good and very well played by the respective actors... And although the series starts of low paced it really picks up, featuring actors like Jack Black or Owen Wilson in some episodes that are really memorable. In final note, it is a show that i would recommend to everyone, it's very entertaining...

I just would like to mention my disappointment when i see voters giving it a perfect ten, and others a true zero. It's misleading and a childish thing to do... i've only given one perfect ten, to a show that i followed from start to finish, thru eight amazing years. And i've never given a zero in any review that i made, because nothing is really that bad... and only very, very few are really that good.

Have a nice day everyone ;)
  • Perfection.

The show is perfect. Not only is it self-referential, the pace is fast-paced and it works, the episodes are like mini movies, the characters are always hilarious and in character, and the jokes work every time because of the chemistry between the actors. Despite the fact that NBC have Britta'd the schedule, Community is the smartest show on television in a world where the Kardashians may as well run for presidency.
  • One of the greatest comedy shows

Many people seems to have the opinion that Community is offensive, racist and boring. I have to ask myself: have they ever seen it? I really can't see anything racist in the show. They are making fun of every race, arabs, black, and white people. It is all done with irony. Same thing goes for all of the religions represented in the show, because it really says that no religion is better than the other. If someone says something else, please watch the show and return with something concrete. I think it's a really good show and I really hope that it wont get cancelled.
  • Genius!

This is one of my absolute favorite shows! Dan Harmon and the writers are just amazing! And the actors, awesome!!

The show has everything! Every race, every religion, all types of personalities, different types of friendship.. EVERYTHING!!

and it doesn't stop at just having everything! It has great continuity, and it's super funny!!

You connect with all the characters easily, yet there is always some mystery to them.

Every single episode is a surprise, and it always builds on something awesome, or has a hilarious parody on another show or movie.

I love it! and you should check it out as well ;)
  • Not a funny show, Not a Good show.

I gave this show three chances. I really couldn't understand what I didn't like about it as I am a huge Joel McHale fan. I've seen him live and he was great. I will still watch The Soup for as long as he's on it. But, I could not get into this show at all. It seemed like a really long show - that's how unfunny it was. I felt like man, this kept going on for hours. But, I wanted to give it a shot since sometimes shows improve post-pilot. Not the case with "Community" - I don't want to fault McHale but I really didn't think he was very funny either.
  • Good..BUT,

this is a good show..
    but what i hate about it ... is.. that its anti-religon . it keeps making fun of religon , especially christianity and islam !!
    i have lost count of how many times they have made fun of jesus !!!
    Why make fun of that , why ???
    knowing that it will hurt other people feelings .
    why not respect other peoples beliefs ?
    it is strange ! there are great episodes that does not enclude insults ... yet they are funny!!
    but most of the episodes are very very very insulting .
    the why remains a mystrey to me .
    i wish that they respect others .
  • SIMPLY PUT, BEST SHOW OUT THERE!! ^_^

This show is amazing, it has so much humor without even knowing it, it plays on things perfectly and pokes fun at different movies, events etc in a refreshing way!! This show should run forever!! I love each character and its not often where you love the entire main cast!! Everyone should watch this show!! It's hard to find good T.V. these days, this is worth the 20min every night, even though I wish it were longer, but as long as it's on my screen every week am happy!! ^_^

• Easily the funniest and smartest show around.

Don't listen to those misguided people who are wrongly giving this show scores below 9.

It brings together a likeable (and talented) cast in a format that allows the very, very good writers to explore all kinds of genres. Pop culture is observed, digested and then bettered in almost every way. And boy has it got this little thing called 'timing' bolted down.

All in all, a real gem of a show. Surprised it is not much, much more popular, but boy am I glad that I gave it a shot. Following the dip in form of HIMYM and the hit-and-miss Big Bang Theory, this is one show that finds and punishes the funny bone.

Highly recommended.

• YOu get to meet all the characters but where do we go from here?

I saw community yesterday and I though it was fair to watch the first episode went in circles way to much it had it's funny moments and I think your going to need to watch the next 2 episodes to completely make and asumption on this show or any new show after 3 episodes we'll be able to call it a flop or a great show but just by the first episode I really think it's going ot be a flop. The fact that you met everyone in the first episode was kinda cool but I think they went to quickly in introducing all of them I know that I don't want a full episode to get to know each character but they could have added a lot more to each one. We'll just have to see what happens.
  • Brilliantly funny. Don't let it fall to the DVD pits of hell.

As a viewer in the UK I have to resort to lets say "unorthodox" methods to see certain shows as and when they air. The gap across the atlantic Iadmit is being bridged with shows like 24, FlashfForward and Fringe all being aired within a couple of days of the US. However, for lesser known shows and usually the better ones the UK isn't really given the chance to have a good enough or early enough say in the staying power of it's favourites. The TV networks in the US seem adamant that if the ratings for a show are low when shown on air, that show deserves to be cancelled. Stupid theory to say the least in a day and age where shows are often downloaded or Sky+'d (Tivo)for people who like to watch things when the hell they want and not by a schedule and also the all important DVD sales with the rise of the personal tv show marathon. Family guy fell a couple of times by this logic as did Futurama, yet have returned due to popularity through DVD sales and huge public outcry.

This logic cannot and must not be applied to Community. After stumbling upon this gem on my daily download of US TV, I have been hooked. Aside from the fact that this comes from the genius writers of Arrested Development, there is plenty for everyone in this show to enjoy. The writing style is a lot more commercial for these guys which I hope is something that keep this show going, however I don't feel this is damaging in a sell out way, just in a way which can more accessible to everyone.
    Jeff's tough but really wounded lead is good to see, his dry cutting wit and charm aren't a deterrent here but warming. Troy's lovable idiocy is hilarious, I've found I have laughed the hardest at his small moments of stupidity than anything else. Annie's prudish goody two shoes is perfect and pretty to boot. Pierce's hilarious racist old fool is a character essential to any comedy and it's good to see Chevy Chase back on form. Shirley's nicey nice god loving mom is cute and her flashes of stereotypical black woman are well used but not overstated unless essential to the joke. Britta's killjoy train wreck is great to watch, her back and forths with Jeff have been the staple of the first season. And last but not least Abed's outstanding quite and kooky tv and film addict with flashes of genius is magical to watch for his continuous narration and analysis of the entire proceedings.
    It is also one of the few shows that has an amazing supporting cast worthy of being main characters. Ken Jeong's Senor Chang is brilliant, being one of the few things that was actually funny in overhyped The Hangover, it's nice to see him in something worthy of his talent. The Dean is a good addition too, with his blinded view of a college which he considers to be alongside the ivy league giants of his country.

After just finishing the first season, I will be extremely surprised if this doesn't get a second season, however my faith has been extremely jaded after losing so many of my favourites.
    Please don't let this end up being another "Oo! people actually liked this, DVD realisation mistake".
  • highly entertaining, well written and played - the 2009/10 season surprise

funny as hell, fast paced, different characters with unique profiles this show is amazing. reminds in time with the abstract satire of arrested development but brings a fresh new concept to the table. first episodes were not the greatest but since mid season thiss show became hilarious and is now highly ranked in out top favourists. I think the 100 word minimum is loudacris. Someone should be able to make his point with fewer words and I'm wondering who is still reading now. ok a few more words and we can make this review count. almost there. just two more. now!
  • A fresh show with unique characters, fun antics and sharp witty jokes thrown into the mix.

I'm surprised at the low ratings this show is getting. I find that it's getting better and better with every episode. The characters are developing, the story lines are getting more complex with brilliant twist arounds connecting them into the other chracter storylines that make the show gel that much more. Abed is a wonderfully unique chracter with brilliant quotable catch-phrases and a sweetness that as he says himself is "adorable". Chevey Chase is brilliant, his comedic timing honed through years of experience is pure perfection and the show is fortunate to have such a seasoned performer. He balances the creepy old guy trying to be hip with the humour so bad and offensive it makes you laugh beautifully.

This show is fun with a dash of outrageous silliness and rounded off with themes of friendship and oddballs finding each other and sticking together regardless of their differences.

I LOVE IT!
  • Community follows the lives of a Spanish study group at Greendale Community College.

One of the best new shows this season. I was immediately drawn to this show when I first watched the first episode. A superb cast along with fun story telling makes this show two thumbs up. But what really makes this show shine is the interactions between characters while they deal with familiar and unfamiliar situations they get themselves into. Whether it's dealing with an unrequited crush or surviving an all out paintball war, the way the actors act naturally with their characters and each other makes it seem real and hilarious at the same time. The thing that really impresses me though, is the emotional growth of the characters the writers incorporate and the actors act out. In a sense, I can laugh at the jokes and at the same time get to understand the characters a little more. Not many shows can do that. The only problems I have with the show is that some episodes are less funnier than others and character development can sometime seem insistent with later episodes. But I think that's pretty normal with most shows, so overall Community is a keeper.
  • Spanish Class episode was clever and wise. My first viewing.

As a caricature/parody, it made human traits so clear by exaggeration, they hurt. The traits illustrated, range in real life, from slightly hidden, to almost completely hidden. In the Spanish class episode, Jeff manipulates, trying to get romance from the most appealing female, and his homework done for free by the most naive fellow student. This trait is cleverly written in the show's script. But its often noticeable in real life anyway. In contrast, I've never seen the following trait so clearly visible in real life. Chevy Chase's role smashes the opaque glass window on Baby Boomer's efforts to understand the big picture, by using key younger adults, as captive audience, to complex life lessons. That process amounts to therapy for the Baby Boomer. But it's Purgatory for the young adult listener, who is so overwhelmed with excess info and ideas, he doesn't even have time to forget politeness. The Community college Spanish teacher traits also are revealing. He goes way overboard in the topic, and especially in the teaching methods. Probably at the core of all 3 characters, is excessive ego, but in various degrees. Jeff is overtly selfish. Chevy's character is unwittingly selfish. And the teacher's character wants successful students, but indulges gross teacher idiosyncracies, and distorts student participation.

I saw a different episode in the past, but did not relate to it, and switched channels after only a moment.
1 2 3 4