Social Psychology

Aired Tuesday 12:00 AM Oct 08, 2009 on Yahoo

• Pretty funny episode, a little weaker than the last couple of weeks.

I've been one of the people complaining about the lack of Ken Jeong in the show, but unfortunately, his return after not appearing in the Introduction to Film episode was somewhat disappointing. It's one thing when he's in Knocked Up and playing a super-sarcastic doctor, but in this movie, he even makes his role in The Hangover look calm. His reaction in the social psych experiment was funny, but not the kind of funny I thought he'd have.

Regardless, this episode proves that this show, along with Modern Family, are the best new comedies on TV this season. Unfortunately, Community airs in the same block that other failed NBC comedies have aired in (Kath and Kim, My Name is Earl etc.) and unless they're willing to ignore the viewers and focus on the quality of the show, we'll be having yet another comedy that was smart, witty and gone before its time should've expired.

It's nice to see episodes of Community where Jeff isn't a total jerk. Seeing his attempts to connect with Brita's boyfriend Vaughn was funny, and seeing each character interact with people they normally didn't (Abed with Annie, Jeff and Shirley). This shows the show isn't just your straightforward cookie cutter comedy. They're actually trying to branch out and show us new things about the characters.

So far, four episodes in and the show's appeal has started to fade. Not for me though. I'm still hooked and I'd like to see the quality improve. It's good, but it has the potential to be great.