Community

Studies in Modern Movement

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 10, 2011 on NBC

7.1
  • Annie moves in with Abed and Troy

If there's one thing that Community does better than anybody else, it's writing absolutely hilarious over-the-top sequences. I've complained about when Community gets tooweird, but sometimes, I have to eat my words. This episode was bizarre, but I loved every second of it. There were only a few spots that lowered it for me.

The main part of the episode was Annie moving into Abed and Troy's apartment (if the hashtag #AnnieMoves on Troy and Abed's shirts wasn't enough attention drawn to the subject, than I don't know what would be). Annie's excited to move in with them, but Britta claims that Annie will hate them within a few days. Immediately, Annie begins to notice the weird things they do, like hit each other in the head with bubblewrap helmets and hang each other to the door using wrapping tape. As she moves in, she worries that she'll end up hating her friends.

Meanwhile, Pierce agrees to stay behind at Annie's old apartment and fix some of the things that are wrong with it so she doesn't have to pay extra money. Jeff does the typical Jeff thing and pretends he's sick to get out of helping her move but gets blackmailed by Dean Pelton into singing karaoke songs with him at the mall. As for Britta and Shirley, they're driving home, arguing about religion (as usual) and Britta picks up a hitchhiker.

Some of these plots work better than others. For the most part, the Annie/Abed/Troy one works, mostly because Danny Pudi and Donald Glover have such an effortless chemistry and Annie getting sucked into it is awesome. The highlight of the night belongs to Jeff and Dean Pelton. The two sing "Kiss From A Rose" on the machine, and the song acts as a song to play over a montage of scenes showing what everybody is doing, and that sequence is easily the funniest thing the show has done this season.

However, Pierce is given nothing to do but act crazy, and for me, it was too little too late. Britta and Shirley's plot is semi-funny but suffers from being over-done. How many times have we seen them argue over religion? I didn't really care about it, even though the scenes were funny.

For the most part, I liked it. I'm also glad the show is not trying to pigeonhole Chang into everything. Ken Leong is a funny guy but a show can suffer from trying to fit characters into places they don't belong.

The show is just as funny... but compared to some of the other stuff the show has done this season, this was just good.

MNT