A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Right, so just to be on the safe side, let me again say this up front:

This recap contains SPOILERS from the season 3 of Continuum. Since not everyone watches the show on the Canadian schedule, there will be those of you who haven’t seen it yet or who are not caught up to the current episode. That’s why I am telling you upfront:

DON’T CONTINUE READING IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE OF EPISODE 5 WHEN IT AIRS IN THE US.

Since the show started airing in the US by now and for those of you from the US, here are the links to the previous season 3 recaps: Episode 1, 2, 3 and 4.

--------- Spoilers Ahead -------------

Welcome back for another installment of our beloved Continuum. This week’s episode “30 Minutes to Air” had Liber8 front and center. Even though, the other story-threads tied in nicely with the two Alec’s in conflict and Kiera at odds with Carlos. Judging from the opening scenes where we meet Travis’ family for the first time, the episode was set to be all about sacrifices. The first 15 minutes to me still felt like it was all about how we all can be major dicks at times. We had Kiera and Carlos showing us how, we had Dillon ever increasing his “dick-ishness”, past Alec showing off his newfound ability to be a dick to Kellog and his other self and we had new corporate dick show up in the flash from Travis’ future.

Interlude:
Seems like it was the Sunday of dicks and sacrifices. Probably unplanned and unintended but not just Continuum had those themes, but so did Game of Thrones. They had Joffrey being a dick. And there was even some sacrifice going on at the wedding. Don’t you just love GoT and it’s weddings? :D

Right, on with Continuum - In Travis’ flash from the future we learn that he used to have a wife and daughter and in order to try and keep them safe, he set it up so that his daughter helped the CPS capture him. That (should have) prevented CPS from figuring out that Travis was the girls dad.

We also learned that that guy can sense Travis’ pheromones – very creepy again – in a sexual undertone sort of way. Add to that the way he spoke to the wife and daughter, and you have the perfect corporate goon that creeps everyone out. I’m not sure what other “functions” he has and if we will see him ever again, but he was made to be immediately disliked, and the show sure succeeded with me.

Also, that might have been the first flash from the future that did not have Kiera in it.

Next up were a couple of kids that did a Greenpeace style thing by flying the causes (Liber8) flag or banner on a corporate building of a major (fictional) weapons manufacturer. To bring that method of protest and civil disobedience into the 21 century they twittered all about it.

Obviously the police got involved, and that means (on this show) that it lands on Carlos’ and Kiera’s desk. Being the free spirited, freedom-supporting guy that Carlos is, he was not to gung-ho to chase those kids down. Kiera was all over it though and that lead to Carlos very rudely hanging up on her. How cute.

Staying with Kiera, we saw Curtis show up again. He had a nice talk with Kiera and it seems like he wanted to become Kiera’s new partner. He even emphasized the trouble Kiera has been having with her “old” partners Alec and Carlos. Seems like he has a personal and separate agenda, even though he was tasked by Catherine to keep an eye on Kiera. I guess the Freelancers don’t really trust their own guys. Not that I can blame them. Time travel is such a fickle business.

Just to keep everyone informed, Kiera immediately turned around and told Catherine all about her encounter and how she doesn’t trust Curtis. That leads us to a curious scene: The whole talk Kiera had with Catherine was sort of weird. The talked about how Catherine could be a mother to most of the members of her cell. Ok – is that to mean that Kiera can be a mother to the rest? What about a father? Why are we even talking about this?

Then there was talk about “feeling” stuff that happens with Liber8. How they went quite and how nothing seemed to have come from the bank break-ins from last week’s episode. Say What again? And then there was this:

Ok, now you talk about that door, you say that it is good Kiera is there, you start to open the door and then NOT show us what’s behind it? Damn. All that was missing was a commercial right there, and I would have felt like I was in a game show.
On second thought: is that the outline of a human head you can see through that door’s window? After that, we play a new game, called “guess who’s calling”. Reminds me of 'The Machine' calling on POI. But I guess it’s not that.

Turns out, it is Betty’s phone and it is Lucas calling. (Sorry about getting her name wrong in last week’s recap) But Dillon is being the new Dillon and the call goes unanswered.

Right after that, Kiera and Carlos have another of their uncomfortable talks that they tend to have nowadays.

I used to like the dynamic that the both of them had. I guess I understand that hiding a dead Kiera and getting a replacement partner is somewhat of an issue for Carlos to deal with, but still, I want them to be friends again...

During that talk the girl from the banner-scene shows up at the station after being arrested and in the following interrogation it turns out that she is Dillon’s daughter. Awkward. Then something happens that only in hindsight seems to make sense:

At that time I (we) didn’t know what we knew after finishing the episode, but in that context it seems to make sense. She shows no stress because she knows what will be happening because she and her dad (Dillon) planned the whole thing in order for her to go undercover with Liber8. Well, nice plan but I still predict that she will be dead by the end of the season.

Anyway, she is arrested and persecuted for her “crimes”. When the mother shows up in the wake of all of this, it becomes obvious that we are supposed to draw comparisons between Travis and his family and Dillon and his. So I fully expect there to be some sacrifice in the Dillon family in the near future. If it is the parent’s relationship, the daughters life or something else, we don’t know yet, but we shall learn.

Next up being a dick:

First we see past Alec shutting future Alec out of SAD-Tech. Then Kellog shows up and tries to weasel himself into Piron and Alec’s inner circle. But because this is the “evolved” Alec, and he is now very smug, he shuts Kellog down pretty quick and basically throws him out the door. Not that Kellog doesn’t deserve that sort of treatment, but it seems like the difference between the two Alec’s is still increasing. I’m already waiting for him to be knocked down a peg.

Because there is some media spin required and because Dillon likes himself way to much, next up is said Dillon appearing on a TV show when Travis walks in and takes everyone hostage.

It is at this point that the episodes picks up speed and intensity and we learn what another part of Liber8’s strategy for the fight against the corporate congress of the future is: Learning as many dirty secrets of as many corporations as possible. Almost the only time this episode we see future Alec is when he tries to get some cash at an ATM and all his cards are blocked.

Alec and Emily are doing what exactly? First up, both of them wonder why past Alec is being such a vindictive dick. Honestly – that’s what they say. And future Alec boasts to his girl how he got the girl and the other Alec didn’t. SMOOTH mate, very smooth. Still, you got no money, no access to your tech and you can’t really live a normal life with there being two of you. So what exactly is your plan, smart guy?

In order to achieve what Liber8 has planned, Travis wants access to a satellite from the broadcast network or he will start killing hostages. Kiera and Carlos have to deal with that, when another dick shows up. A representative from the weapons company we saw earlier which bought the broadcaster in who’s studio Travis currently is. Betty figures out that the news-woman (Bolton) who is being held hostage had a news story about Fermitas (the weapons guys) and they sued the broadcaster. But instead of a public trial, in the end they opted for the private buyout. I guess if you can’t muscle the press to control them, you have to buy them.
The corporate dick is neither willing to admit that this is about the bank robbery nor are they willing to give Liber8 an inch. Inside said studio a discussion erupts and the one guy that emphatically agrees with Liber8 ends up being shot in the arm. That’s Travis for you.

Doesn't he just look a bit like Mr.Clean with the shaved head and his stature?

In other news: Dillon wants and tries to be the hero and in turn gets the hostage-taker he overpowers shot. Seems like a predictable outcome.

Outside, Kiera and Carlos figure out what Liber8’s plan is. Because Garza is missing from the party, they suspect a two-pronged assault on Fermitas. At this point I’m not completely sure why, but it seems like especially Carlos’ actions sort of enable Liber8 and their agenda. Kiera uses her suit to gain access to the studio building takes out some guards to get into security control room. But in order for the police to get in and the hostages to get out, she has to disable some bombs Travis installed on all the exits. In order to do that, she contacts Alec, and ends up talking to past-Alec at Piron and he continues to be a douche. During that talk, Alec finds out that Kiera knew there are two Alec’s and he feels betrayed. He coins the douche-sentence of the week:

“Once a partner betrays you, there are only two choices – buy them out or shut them down.”

That scene, to me, seemed to end very abruptly. Alec tells Kiera which wire to cut. But what exactly does he mean by “shut them down" ?Can he deactivate her CMR? He doesn’t right then and there (at least not that we know) and she can still defuse the bomb, but what is his plan for Kiera?

Next thing we know, we are with Kellog in Alec’s lab. Kellog basically confronts Alec about what he has done with traveling back in time, how it seems like he had no plan other than to save his girlfriend and how he seems not at all ready for the fight that surely is awaiting him with the other Alec.

That is a very "Gibbs" (from NCIS) sort of way to drink you liquor, out of a lab beacon. Very hygienic.

All in all, I have to agree with Kellog’s analysis and the conclusions he draws, but somehow I still don’t like him very much. But it seems like he will join the future-Alec team with Emily and probably Kiera.

So it seems like there are now four parties to the game. Liber8, the VPD and Piron (incl. douchy-Alec), the Freelancers (maybe or maybe not incl. Kiera) and now team future-Alec.

On with the plot, Betty and consequently Lucas figure out that the codes Fermitas gives to Travis are incomplete. Carlos (rightly) lays the blame for the consequences on Fermitas’ feet and in turn the corporate dick offers his own merc’s do take care of the hostage situation. That is a no-go for Carlos and as soon as Kiera disarmed that bomb he sends in his own ERT-team. In order to create a diversion Kiera activates the fire suppression system.

In the ensuing chaos, Dillon and Bolton (the news lady) make their escape. But Lucas still gets the correct codes through Betty on order from Carlos (see what I mean about Carlos enabling Liber8?) and manages to complete his mission. At the point that Carlos gives the order to Betty, he already ordered the ERT into the building and Kiera has activated the fire suppression. At this point, is there still a need to send in those codes or is this the first step of Carlos to becoming a supporter of Liber8?

That mission Lucas is on not only consists of a prerecorded message from Travis that is broadcast, it also is to enable Garza to break into a server-black-site of Fermitas and steal some more corporate secrets. Nice endgame…

When Carlos sees Dillon walking out of the building AND at the same time on Travis’ broadcast he knows something is wrong. Consequently he and Lucas make his escape with some help from a sonic device that annoys everyone until Kiera shoots it and then Travis pulls out this beauty:

No, it is not a rocket launcher, but rather a grappling-hook launcher. With everything secured and Liber8 escaping, we learn that Fermitas has been highly involved in corporate espionage and has info on many corporations including Piron.

NICE – seems like we are heading towards a confrontation between Liber8 and Piron with Alec at the helm.

Betty, being all the helpful little tech-girl, figures out what Liber8 did. When Carlos and Kiera confront the corporate dick with that info he just praises their work. Being all ironic Carlos says to Kiera: “Maybe we should skip to the end when they (the corporations) start calling us protectors”. So still no harmony in this duo…

With the help from his new (girl)friend, Dillon is made out to be the hero of the hostage situation and he is being all smug about it. Over their distaste of that Kiera and Carlos DO bond a little. So maybe there is a little hope for this duo after all.

In the last scene we learn what I already discussed at the start, that Dillons daughter is supposed to go undercover with Liber8 - according to her dads plan.

In another flash from the future we see the CPS guy giving Travis’ daughter a CPS pin. All that is missing from that pin to make it more obvious that theirs is a fascist regime is a swastika.

Is it just me, or do you also suspect there is more to that pin than it just saying CPS? I suspect a bug of some kind. So is seems like both daughters are being used in an undercover sort of way.

Questions of Time:

• Is Carlos sympathizing with Liber8, or at least their cause?
  • What is behind that door at the Freelancer-lair?
  • What did past-Alec mean when he said “shut down” to Kiera?
  • Will future-Alec and Kellog team up? My vote is on yes.
  • What fate to you foresee for Dillon’s daughter?
    Oh, fyi, IMDB tells me her name is Nicole. Well, Hi there, Nicole. Nice to know you – for how long?

Thank you for joining me again this week. Now, after reading all my babblings – discuss!

After I figured out how to do polls on TV.com, I will add one every week to rate the current episode.

poll

49 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 06, 2014
1. Well, our Carlos was on a path that was, in this world, more rebellious. I guess I preferred him being taken into the Theseus angle of things versus the Liber8 world.

2. I DON'T KNOW and I must have rewound three times to see if there was some sort of skipping. It certainly looked like Catherine was going to show it to Kiera though, right?

3. I have a memory of our Alec being able to do that to Kiera so he shut down her access to him, but not necessarily of him to her.

4. Probably, I also wonder if more interactions between Kiera and Kellogg might, well, return our Kiera to some of the, I don't know, open mindedness that I feel like disappeared. I know they have had like one scene together at this point in time, but there used to be a twisted kind of chemistry between them.

5. Oh, I am going to guess she might be our avenue back to Thesus and Julien. And you know, she might need to return to, well, wherever the Falling Skies people are.

This seemed to be a set up episode to me.
More+
Flag
May 06, 2014
See, after the most recent episode (7 - wich is SO awsome btw) I don't know what to say, because so much has happened in between this one and 7. :)
But I can assure you, some of these questions will get cleared up, others won't :D But most not in a way that you would expect.
Flag
May 06, 2014
That's exciting, having at least glimpsed some of the pictures that end up on the main page I have some guesses about one thing (no. 2 mainly that it leads to a place we saw in a different timeline). What I think might be fun for me on the American SyFy schedule is that by the time we are up to where you guys are, we are in a dead period before the summer season kicks up, so Continuum will likely be the only new show for its last little run (before most of us start whining about why Haven doesn't begin until August).
Flag
Apr 28, 2014
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet. But, we have seen other flash-forwards without Kiera. Just of the top of my head, a bunch in Season 2: Episode 2 - Travis and Sonya only. Episode 7 - Future Alec and Future Julian and probably more that I can't remember.
Flag
Apr 24, 2014
WTF is a "lab beacon"?
Flag
Apr 24, 2014
Well, I am surprised you are the first one to point this word creation out :D

Anyway, it should probably just say "flask". That's what happens when you think you know a word in a foreing language and then it turns out you were wrong :D
Flag
Apr 21, 2014
A wikia user (MikeRio) posted this interesting photo.

This photo shows that Escher had a mark in the back of his neck. Maybe a CMR?
Flag
Apr 21, 2014
Ok - thanks. Have not seen that before. Are we sure this mark is of relevance?

Anyway - I'm really looking foreward to finding out more about Escher. Maybe we will at some point.
Flag
Apr 20, 2014
What is behind that door at the Freelancer-lair?

FREELANCER DANCE PARTY!!!

Protecting the timelines is tough work... dance like it's your last day.

Flag
Apr 18, 2014
One thing I've been wondering about is - What happened to Elena?

Someone took her body. Presumably, it was the Freelancers. Why did they do that? If they wanted to minimize her contribution to the timeline of history, wouldn't they have taken her out early? She changed history by creating children that shouldn't have been here. Presumably, she did other things during her long life that made a difference.

After she died, why did the Freelancers decide THEN that it was time to do something about her?

And finally, where is she now? We've seen every other time traveler, even the "dead" ones. Did they resurrect her and maybe that is who is behind the blue door?
Flag
Apr 18, 2014
The only explenation that I can offer is that the Freelancers wanted to prevent Elenas CMR to somehow show up in an autopsy and fall into the wrong hands and artifically speed up technological development. As long as she was alive, there was not danger of it being discovered.
I don't think the kids had anything to do with that.
Flag
Apr 20, 2014
I think her CMR "battery" eventually died because it was constantly searching for the signal that wasn't there. I believe she mentioned something similar in the episode. Also I think her old super suit sapped some energy and "rebooted" itself from a pack of batteries her son placed near it in a box for the garage sale. That triggered the Freelancers?
Flag
Apr 18, 2014
I'm practically new in this community. I catch up with this series the past week. I decided to view this series because I like the time travel stuff (series, movies, etc) and like a big fan of the masterpiece called Fringe, I decided to give it a try. The pilot isn't great if you compared it to Fringe (I got hooked with Fringe since the pilot), but the theme of Liber8 caught my attention. I compared/related this premise of Liber8 with the conspiracy theories (I read a lot about conspiracy theories). A corporative goverment that make of the people slaves of the system. This premise intrigue me and I decided to see all the series.

A good series with a lot of questions. I think this is the best part of this series that when the episode was finished, we keep thinking in all the situation. I think that parallel worlds or multiverses are maybe more easy to keeps track that when a series introduces multiples timelines or resets in the timeline. This reset in the timeline because of Alec time travel raised a lot of questions in season 3.

Here are my thoughts/theories:
Who Killed the past Kiera?
I think that possibly was the Freelancers. They don't want the risk of two Kieras in the same timeline. And futureKiera is now an ally. At the beginning, I suspected of Emily, but then Emily saw futureKiera and didn't act surprised.
Who created the old travel machine?
I think that was created by Alec (one of his version) or his father Escher (one of his version). Escher said "time travel is family business". Maybe one of them (even Jason) travel back in time and created the old time travel machine like a failsafe, if they needed to travel in time to reset a timeline this machine will help them.

Who created the Freelancers Cult?
I think that possibly two persons had created the cult: Kiera, one version that travel 1000 years in time to try to prevent that other people time travel(only if needed). Other option is Alec, knowing all that happened, he wants to prevent the abuse in time travel.
I view Kiera like a failsafe of the timeline. She is the person that will always try to fix the timeline.
**I think that possible, that Kiera never come back to her timeline in 2077. Maybe this timeline (2077) collapsed like the another or maybe the future will never be the same because of so many changes in the timeline. One timeline substituted the other timeline. New timelines are created and you never will be able to return to the original. Maybe the original timeline is lost.

Who approves the time travel jumps?
I have no idea. I think always in the Sadlers because Eschers said "time travel is family business".

What Alec will survive? Options are:
- Both Alecs die
- Both Alecs live
- One Alec live and other die.

I think that Both Alecs live. The Alec from 2077 I think is the pastAlec. He is a greedy person. Maybe he ruled the world with Sadtech and Pyron and then recognizes his errors and make all this agenda that we have saw from season 1 to try to repairs his errors.

The futureAlec maybe is the person who travel in time 1000 years.

Will the future always be doomed no matter all the timeline that they try to fix?
Fate vs. free will. Will this be a cycle or a loop like Fringe and Terminator until they recognize that and make the right choices. Like the famous line of Lost "Whatever happened, happens".

And this episode add another question?
What or Who is behind that door? hahaha this show give me headache, but in a good way.

More+
Flag
Apr 18, 2014
Well, welcome to the Continuum Community !!

That is a neat idea you had - pastAlec becoming the Alec of 2077 and futureAlec becoming the first Freelancer.
Also Kiera as a failsafe is an interesting concept. But I'm not so sure that the "original" timeline is really worth protecting. Maybe preventing the corporate congress would be a nice achievement. Because the political system we see in 2077 seems not very nice.

Flag
Apr 18, 2014
Yeah, I agree with your point that the original timeline isn't worth of protecting (if this timeline still exist and didn't had collapse). The main goal is to prevent the corporate government to happen. Maybe the first freelancer or creator of the cult have this goal in mind also. This person travel back in time 1,000 years to establish the first knowledge of the time travel machine and regulated the travels. We have seen that the Freelancers had changed through the centuries and their main objective was lost. They became like a dictatorial group (the same that happened with Liber8) and they thought of themselves like the owners of the timeline. Escher in sometime exit the Freelancers. The Freelancers now and from season 1 are protecting the original timeline at all cost even if this means establish the corporate government again.

I have to read more about the multiple timelines theories. For me, when a new timeline is created or a timeline have been reset this "erased" in some way the previous timeline. I don't think that multiples timelines can coexist at the same time, this will be multiverses. But like I said, I need to read more about multiples timelines because my interpretation could be wrong. Hahaha after all we are talking about time travel. :)
More +
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
* I have to assume that Kellogg took past-Alec's money. I also assume it was at least a few hundred million dollars.

- Why wouldn't past-Alec also put Kellogg on the board of directors and have him work for Piron? There doesn't seem much downside to that.

* Did past-Alec think Kellogg wouldn't continue to financially support future-Alec? Sad-Tech currently had around nothing aside from equipment and furniture. Kellogg could easily finance future-Alec.

* Dillion is putting his own daughter's life at-risk. The comparison to Travis is that Travis is a far better parent.

- I wonder if Sonya knows about Travis' wife and daughter.

* Kiera seems to slowly be considering not wanting the 'bad' future.

* It seems Kiera will eventually be working with Liber8.
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
Well your last point certainly is controversial. I for one think ther is a LONG way to go bevore Kiera would even consider supporting Liber8. She might question the 2077-system, but that doesn't automatically mean she supports Liber8. After all I don't think she would support their tactics.
Flag
Apr 19, 2014
Well, sure it's not going to happen for some time, but it seems that's where things are going. Liber8 is the only way the future will be changed.

Remember that Kiera mostly only wanted the future she knows because it would bring her back to her son. But things have already changed a lot. We know her husband had cheated on her. We know Kiera admired her partner having a family. Kiera could have a family in 2012 - or whenever it currently is in the series.
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
Terrible. But I did like how Time-Travelling Alec said "When did I become such a dick" :-)
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
Ok, I just noticed this. Is it a joke or a typo? Returning in 20144??? Ha!

Flag
Apr 16, 2014
:D

It's been like that for a while, someone mentioned it in the comments of (I think) the first episode this season. Probably just a typo.

Also: I wouldn't know who to contact about that - but if you do, someone should get on that...
Flag
Apr 17, 2014
Nah....let's just leave it. Given the premise, it's kind of fitting. ;)
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
Great review xubxerox. You made me LOL several times and I always appreciate a little humour in a photo recap/review.

Onto your questions....FYI, the answers will be lengthy.

• Is Carlos sympathizing with Liber8, or at least their cause?
I think so and I can understand why. I also completely understand why he still feels betrayed by Keira or at least why it's difficult for him to have the same relationship with her the way he did with past-Keira. I'm not as annoyed with their current rift as others seem to be. This Keira is somehow even more fickle then past-Keira. How is that possible?

• What is behind that door at the Freelancer-lair?
OMG! What is behind that freaking door??? Another time-traveler would be my first guess. Maybe Esher had an insurance policy and time-traveled himself? He had those dots so we know that he was once a Freelancer. So maybe it's other-Esher behind that door? Maybe he killed past-Keira??? All I can say is: It better not be Jason behind that door. He is kind of a wildcard for both Alec's - being their son and a time-traveler too. Plus he hinted last season that he had been a Freelancer prisoner once before...so it could be him. But I want more Jason on-screen! I know that Ian Tracey has a ton of acting commitments but I'd hate it if Jason was benched until the finale. He is one of the most entertaining characters on Continuum and I want to see him more often.

• What did past-Alec mean when he said “shut down” to Kiera?
I think he was referring to shutting down future-Alec BUT it makes sense that he was talking about Keira too. Although, past-Alec shouldn't really have beef with Keira. He doesn't know that she "betrayed" him, does he? He just found out she knew there were two of him. He still doesn't know that Emily got killed. He doesn't even know WHY he (future-Alec) traveled back ONE WEEK and that is kind of the Continuum plot hole of the season. Or at least it's a weakness. Future-Alec should have know HIMSELF (past-Alec) well enough that he explained EVERYTHING to him. Then again, Alec (both past, future and old) has a deep seeded selfishness within him, plus future-Alec is one LOVESICK PUPPY when it comes to Emily. So all this can be blamed on Alec's hormones and Emily's VAGENDA (Walter Bishop™)! Did I mention that I really don't like Emily? Wrong date of birth or not. I've never liked her. I don't know if it's the actress but she never really sold me on loving Alec. MATA HARI! lol

• Will future-Alec and Kellog team up? My vote is on yes.
Kellogg is always looking out for Kellogg BUT that conversation with future-Alec about his sucky plan and doing it all for p***y was definitely something future-Alec need to hear. So, if they do team up, I just hope it's a cool team up that we can root for. Because right now, I really feel like I'm a little lost when it comes to "rooting for any character". But that's something Continuum has always done intentionally. Making the viewer question themselves when it comes to "whose side am I on?"
I just hope this doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment of the show. The audience needs to have someone to root for and I've always rooted for young-Alec in the past (and past-Keira). This season has really turned my alligences on their ear. I DON'T KNOW WHO TO TRUST! Ok, I do like Carlos a lot more then I used to. Plus, I still love Jason! I just hope they don't screw with his character and make him all "normal" or dislikable too. We have enough Dicks (and Bitches) right now.

• What fate to you foresee for Dillon’s daughter?
Well the actress will be fighting Aliens and playing another bratty daughter in Falling Skies (typecast much?) in June. So I'd say she's not long for Continuum. However so many actors are juggling several other shows so maybe she can too? I would love it if the storyline leads somewhere a lot more interesting then death via Liber8. I think it's time Liber8 start becoming more sympathetic for the audience. I mean, we are supposed to be sympathising with these guys. So enough with the mindless violence please! I kind of got the impression that they are trying to make the main Liber8 members a little more likeable this season. Especially this episode with that Travis flashback (btw, that pin looked like a bug to me too!). But they should stop with the Sonya drilling through peoples spines etc. Like I said, we need someone to root for. As much as i love Continuum for being the greyest show moral and alliegence-wise, a touch of black and white amongst all the grey wouldn't hurt. So maybe make Dillons daughter turn pro-Liber8 for real. That would be more interesting then her being another person who gets sacrificed in the fight against Liber8.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:
- I'm kind of bummed that Julian/Theseus no longer seems to be a big plot in the show. We've only had him in one episode so far.

- I really don't like Emily and after seeing the next episode preview, it looks like that won't change. Seriously Chick, if you had real feelings for Alec, you wouldn't be able to choose the version that suits your interests the most. Let alone beating up past-Alec! Like really - this girl is whack!

- This season is starting to remind me of Fringe Season 4. Resets and characters alligences/development being thrown out the window. Even though it's not as extreme as it was with Fringe, I didn't like it with Fringe and I don't like it with Continuum.

- However, Continuum always slows down a bit mid-season so I'm hoping things get back on track soon.

- I don't know what to make of past-Alec. He is turning into a major DICK. Is it possible that 2 things (not meeting his father & not seeing Emily die) can have such a huge impact on someone's personality? Obviously, the answer seems to be a loud and clear: YES!

I still love the show and I look forward to it more then any other currently on air but I just hope it doesn't lose it's magic due to all this character undoing. I really hope Jason is in the next episode if for no other reason then a dose of much needed Jason-humour.
More+
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
Wow, that was lenghty - and thanks for the praise.

I totally forgot about Jason - except for the first episode he did not show up at all and I agree with you on Carlos, he is definitly a sympathiser.
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
LOL, yes I have a tendency to put people to sleep with my lengthy commentary. Sorry :-)
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
Thats not what I meant... ;-)

I always appreciate a well written and thought out comment or discussion, and I enjoyed reading yours!
Flag
Apr 17, 2014
Thank you, that means a lot. But seriously, if you doze off next time, I won't get mad. :)
Flag
Apr 16, 2014
“Once a partner betrays you, there are only two choices – buy them out or shut them down.”
But he still told her about the GREEN wire, so that's something, I guess. Plus I think this quote above was Alec referring to "shutting down" his other "partner" - future-Alec. He did cut off his bank accounts so maybe that's what he was (mainly) referring to?
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
A: I thought Carlos was going Liber8 when he and Betty went to see Julian back at the end of Season 2, but if that got rewritten, then he definitely has leanings.

B: A NEW CAR!!! Hmmm Jason was absent this episode.

C: He meant he was working on a way to shut down her suit, probably at a critical moment.

D: Future Alec will have an uneasy alliance with Kellogg for now. Future Alec does not want Kiera's version of 2077 to happen. Past Alec is the Alec of Kiera's future. Or so it seems.

E: Nicole will go Patty Hearst.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
One thing that has me thinking about Carlos was, "why does he have Betty give Lucas the code when the SWAT team is already entering the building?" Kiera set up the diversion and he is about to win so there is no good reason I can think of. Maybe he wanted the broadcast to go out to expose the corporation. That's pretty Liber8 thinking.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
I wonder if he can still shut her suit down, considering it is one she got from the Freelancers and it is supposed to be the "improved" model - whatever that means. I think thats also why it is now black and no longer that weird color from the first 2 seasons. (yes I know, it can change color - but most of the time it had the same color...)
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
"Also, that might have been the first flash from the future that did not have Kiera in it."

No, there were several of those already. Mostly involving Kagame in season 1, then there was one where Theseus blows up chip factory, one where Sonya helps Travis escape.....

I like new Carlos. In first season he was all "Let's take down Liber8, hu-hah!" in second season he was all "We need to take them down but let's not get all jackbooted thugs on them" And now he's all "They have a point and we are turning into SS by striking at people who speak up". Considering ending of season 2 (as was pointed out last week's recap now defunct ending) he has some sympathies to Liber8s essage and doesn't agree with methods police and Kiera are using. Carlos is turning out to be most sympathetic character of them all.

Also in the end both Dillon and Carlos had their egos stoked by women with an agenda. Dillon was called a hero (on TV!) and the look he had was "Oh yeah, I'm going to hit that soon" and Kiera praised how Carlos took control of the situation and told her what to do. Carlos may have seen it but I doubt Dillon did.

Dillon seems to be up and coming guy, it would be interesting to see how future sees him. Was he instruental in creating CPS? Is his (grand)son running things in 2077?

Also what is Kiera's endgame here and now? She seems to have dropped whole "I need to get back to my family" routine and there are no flashes of her family in this season. Is she now alligning with "freelancers" and is their agent? Did she give up on returning to 2077 and decided to make most of 2014?
More+
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
At the end of last season we saw a manual on Dillon's desk for the CPS. It was created by Piron. That relationship still exists except it is now Dillon and Alec, instead of Escher, as we saw last episode. I would expect those two to be the new originators of the CPS.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Well, I would expect that Piron would want some other public face, at least in the beginning. Private copany funding police might be SOP in 2077 but in 2014 might raise a few eyebrows.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Well officially her endgame (as per Freelancer-handbook) is supposed to be that she ensures the future comes about as she knows it. Choosing one Alec over the other and otherwise making sure that the effects of his timetravel do not cause any permanent changes to the timeline. HOW she does that, I don't know.

I agree, Carlos is the most sympathetic. And in a large part he is the best "audience stand in" among the lot.
I think Carlos saw through that, but he also wants to trust Kiera again and get their relationship back to normal. And I hope they do that really soon.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Obviously Kiera's 2077 isn't happening. Too many changes caused by time travellers to make that a possibility. There might be 2077 with some resembalnce to Kiera's 2077 but there will be many differences.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
I want Kiera and Carlos' relationship to go back to normal and THEN some, if you get my drift *wink wink*
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
I think this is the first real episode where I'm beginning to wonder if Continuum is running out of steam. Which I'm sad to say, since this season started out with such a bang. The last two episodes have felt repetitive with the procedural stuff, and not enough focus on further developing the overall series arc.

I sensed Kiera and Carlos' relationship hinting at a return to normal near the end, which is great. Cause I think that's something necessary to the survival of the show. Same goes for her and Alec as well. One thing that held this show together was the relationships within it. I get how they're trying to say "look, time travel and politics push people away from each other", but at the same time, if its going to stay this way for long, what relationships between characters are going to drive this show forward?

I feel like something big needs to happen, and soon. This show has already been better than anything out there in terms of sci fi, but it seems like the pace is slowing down lately--more so than the two previous seasons.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
For some reason, I can't contradict you there. The Alec-Kiera-Carlos connection of trusted relationships was/is the central axis of support for this show. It's ok to mess with it a bit, but they should not break it.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Hopefully its not for long. I can already see that they're hinting on mending Carlos' and Kiera's a bit, at the least.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
After last week, I started second guessing myself that this show was getting a little too clever for me. Now I'm all but sure my initial thoughts were correct and it's losing it's way a little.

First up, the whole "corporations are evil" theme. I get the whole (speaking of dicks) Mitt Romney, "Corporations are people my friend" business is a driving aspect of this show, it's getting a little ham fisted. In earlier seasons, we'd be shown how a corporately run future could be bad, now we're being told...over and over and over again in addition to be shown WHY a corporately run future IS bad.

Secondly, "Holy personality shift, Batman!". I liked the explanation of past Alec's change. He never met his father before he was murdered vs future Alec who met his father, didn't like him and chose to leave. That's a pretty significant life moment. BUT, it's not one that would turn this kid into a completely different person inside of a week or two. Maybe they're running out of episodes, but they're pushing this way too hard.

Not being pushed hard enough, Carlos. Seriously dude, sack up. You know your friend is a time traveler and already knew how this all works. I think you've had enough time to process that while yes, the Kiera you knew is dead, future Kiera is the EXACT same person with an extra week's life experience. It's not like she's a clone or a cyborg. It's her. Quit being such a pussy.

I like the idea of Liber8 going head to head with corporate Alec. Perhaps some mutually assured destruction leaving future Alec the one to live on...which I wouldn't have expected at the start of this season.
More+
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Past-Alec is changing very fast and in a very different direction than the other Alec. I agree it is very fast, even for a tv-show, but I expect at some point in the season (maybe the finale) the writers needed him to be a certain way and the just had x amount of episodes to "transform" him. My guess is that the speed of his change is dictated by a plotpoint and timerestraints.
Then again, the stuff that future-Alec experienced, with his dad, the betrayal, Emily's death - the whole shebang - was really traumatic and can have a big influence on a guy.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
I really don't like the distrust between Carlos and Kiera. Its so last season before she told him about time travel. She should just tell him what happened and why she went back in time again. Or maybe not, if he knows she's a Freelancer now that probably won't go over very well.

Another thing this show does a lot is neglect certain storylines for multiple episodes. I was wondering where the Freelancers went and what they were doing. They are still putting things in freezers.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
I'm not sure why future Alec doesn't get Kellog to sponsor him again since Kellog was cut off by the other Alec.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Maybe Kellog doesn't have money to throw around? He struck rich early one but then butterfly effect kicked in and his knowledge became less and less reliable. He also spent a lot of money to build laboratory for Alec, spent some on luxuries and didn't seem to get much in return from these investments.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Yes, I was wondering that myself - I expect it to work out that way fairly soon. Maybe the didn't want to move to fast with the story. Who knows...
Flag
Apr 27, 2014
Can't rule out Kellog, even when he has no money available etc, he uses the resources around him to achieve his aims, like Emily to take out Escher (could of paid for a team of mercenaries or snipers but went for Escher's own subordinate) or when he's playing Liber8 and Keira against each other. He has used his money to impress and get Alex on to his side but it was only partly successful. It's a war of ideology and Kagami knew the value of his members and their differences and even with the separation of Liber8s members, their individual goals and commitment to the war has been roughly the same but with varying agendas and strategies.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
OMG the undercover daughter ! I totally didn't see that one coming. Very good development.
Someone shut down Joffrey past-Alec already.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members