A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Right, so just to be on the safe side, let me again say this upfront:

This recap contains SPOILERS from the season 3 of Continuum. Since not everyone watches the show on the Canadian schedule, there will be those of you who haven’t seen it yet or who are not caught up to the current episode. That’s why I am telling you upfront:

DON’T CONTINUE READING IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE OF EPISODE 4 WHEN IT AIRS IN THE US.

Since the show started airing in the US by now and for those of you from the US, here are the links to my previous season 3 recaps: Episode 1, 2 and 3.

--------- Spoilers Ahead -------------

Kiera’s skepticism that is being established via the flashbacks is something new and unexpected. We have not seen any indication of that attitude towards the system in 2077 before. It seems like sort of an afterthought or a thing that’s required for the season 3 storyline to work. It doesn’t really feel organic to the story that has already been told. That is my only complaint though, because I think it makes the character more interesting, more conflicted and less predictable.

I also think that Kiera is set up to get into a conflict over the “truth” with the 2014 VPD. Because of her tech she is likely to discover information and connections that no one else has and believes. That would put her nicely into conflict with Dillon, Piron and past-Alec.
The other development that really came into its own this episode was Carlos’ troubles over loosing past-Kiera and all that ensued. I appreciate that the show doesn’t just move past this like nothing happened. These situations always tend to be the basis for some sort of character development and plot-drive. And the whole issue is one that you really can’t move past very easily. Just like when Carlos discovered that Kiera was from the future. These time-travel revelations tend to upset your routine just a tiny bit. I know I would need some time to deal with the appearance of a time-traveler…

The theme of this week’s episode seemed to be “Dynamics in small teams and how they change” – doesn’t that make for a nice management-workshop-title? So here we go:

And with that we are right in the middle of this week’s episode where first off, Carlos confronts Theseus because he had something to do with breaking out Lucas. What was that? Did you notice anything? I sure didn’t. Anyway:

Is it the actor or does he play creepy and somehow shifty guys on both shows? But thats also why I like him both times :)

Over on the local university campus there is a party going on in support of Liber8 and free speech. I’m all for free speech, but I’m not sure I am all for Liber8’s methods.

Why do the campus police have a “list” of people when they go into the Liber8 party and where does that list come from? Do you think that guy with the gun had some ulterior motive? Anyway, the are a bit on the aggressive side of things and with these being Liber8 supporters the campus cops get their asses handed to them. During all that the one gun the one guy brought goes missing. Obviously :)

So much for the starting setup for this weeks episode. Back with Alec we see him hanging out at Piron HQ. past-Alec that is. It seems that after discovering that information on Emily last week, he invited her for a “friendly” chat.

The whole thing goes south immediately and Alec and Emily basically break up while past-Alec and Piron seem to be the new “couple”. The one question that comes to mind from what Emily said during all of that is: Who is it that Emily had the strength to safe? I hope we will learn that at some point.

Back with the police, Carlos and Kiera are involved in investigating the campus incident from the start of the episode. In this team, Carlos and Kiera start out at opposite sides: Kiera suspects everyone of colluding with terrorists and seems very pro police and pro system.

Carlos on the other hand is more of an independent thinker and is willing to consider that free speech is a value in of itself and worth protecting even if they align themselves with Liber8.
In the course of this investigation, while looking for some files, Carlos accidentally stumbles upon evidence that Betsy is the mole in the department that they have been looking for since season 2.

Well, that certainly went different than expected – after the last episode we suspected Alec would be the one to expose Betsy, but I guess this works too. It does seem a bit forced but I guess they wanted to further isolate Carlos and change up another team dynamic. Not my favorite storyline payoff this show has achieved...

Over at Piron, past-Alec attends his first board meeting:

Of course he almost immediately gets dismissed as a smart but power-less kid that has no real business sitting at the big-boys-table. Well that won’t come back to bite them at all…. Also: again with the artwork and that UGLY wall paper – that is just SO 1980’s it is very disconcerting.
The student center where the Liber8 party happened is financed by Sonmanto. Isn’t that ironic?!

When Carlos and Kiera interview the faculty advisor, he delivers delivers a speech on terrorism and its history. He brings up some VERY valid points that translate very well from TV into real life. In retrospect this seems like the point at which Kiera’s change of perspective starts.
While all this is going on inside, outside the same guys from the party are holding another free-speech/Liber8 rally that quickly turns into a disaster. After some smoke granades (not tear-gas right?) and some firecrackers get thrown in the mix, one campus-cop pulls his gun and shoots people because he is scared.

What I wanna know is:
  • Who was it that incited the incidents at the Free-speech-demo outside?
  • Does the smoke instead of teargas suggest intent and did they WANT there to be deaths?
  • Who policed the brass from the shooting?

Then, over at Piron, Kellog shows up and gives a nice motivational speech to Alec. He also compares him to Steve Jobs. Nicely done, especially the: “Do you even own a turtleneck?” line.

I wonder how Kellog even got into the building. After all he was the “nemesis” of Escher, and the building security should certainly be aware of his “no access” status. Not only did he get in the building, he also tries to weasel himself into Piron by being Alec’s “shark” with the board.

Back with the investigation, Carlos shuts Betsy out of the investigation because he suspects her as the mole. But first we get a nice look into Kiera’s system-conform attitude when she says: “The system protects the people so in order to protect the people we have to protect the system.” Well there is debate for the ages. Intuitively I would disagree. This basic pro/contra approach to “the system” is what sows some of the conflict in the Carlos/Kiera team. At this point, Carlos still defends Cantor, the cop that shot the students at that rally.

When he and Kiera get sent out to question some students from the university again, the police find not only batons but also the missing gun. In the aftermath of that, Nora from IA is back. Her storyline feels like it will be important at some point. It also seems like it is set up that she and Kiera will work together in their fight against Piron influence on VPD. She advises Kiera to “come into the light of the truth” – at that point we are still not sure what that is, but to Nora, the whole case seems to ‘clean cut’ and therefore suspicious.

This is about halfway through the episode and also where Carlos and Kiera start exchanging sides on the investigation. The seed of that doubt for Kiera is that the guy they found the gun with, had no gunshot residue on his hands when Kiera scanned him at the crime scene. But since only she knows and places value in that info, she can not yet exonerate the guy. Carlos on the other hand does not have the luxury of a CMR and therefore has to base his police work on what he can prove without Kiera’s future-tech.

This seemed the furthest apart those two were at any point in this episode. They also did a complete 180 on their starting positions: Where Carlos was firmly skeptical of the police’s position in the beginning he is now firmly on their side and where Kiera started out as a firm supporter of “the system” she by now begins to suspect a different truth. I think the Carlos/Kiera friendship will help them prevail and survive even though it might be a bit strained at times.

On TV, Theseus is pushing Carlos and Kiera as the “bad guys”. I wonder what his motivations for that are. The nice thing we get out of this is another discussion about terrorism.

Following that, we get a great Carlos-scene in the freezer where he keeps dead-Kiera’s body.

“I sure as hell don’t know why I trust you more than I trust her”. That sums up very nicely Carlos’ Kiera-dilemma. Also: very creepy talking to a dead frozen body. Oh, and what about the CMR in dead-Kiera’s head? If in season 2 the Freelancers collected all the tech and bodies from the ‘future people’ why haven’t they come for this one?

The second discussion between the faculty advisor and Kiera is as relevant for RL as the first one. Companies DO fund university research, they DO influence science, they DO suppress opposing and they encourage positive research. Just take a look at what Tabaco-companies used to do and still do when it comes to smoking, addiction and cancer.

In order to ask the “right” questions you have to be independent. That seems like a universal truth. But: What about Kiera tells the faculty advisor that she wants to ask the right questions?? Did I miss something? With the new evidence, which she shows Carlos, Kiera coins this beauty: “I have to reevaluate my position” Wow, a small sentence that seems VERY heavy in meaning.

Carlos in turn tells Kiera about suspecting Betsy as the mole and he runs a ploy on her to reveal her. Kiera though asks her a very valid question: Why, as a tech person, would you use the same SIM-card for a year?

When Kiera confronts Cantor, he confesses to being confused and shooting unarmed people. With all that new info Carlos and Kiera present their findings to Dillon. He is decidedly unhappy to have to put dirt on the police department and to get IA involved.
Betsy gets used as a “turned spy” and as bait for Liber8. Not a very nice fate to look forward to. I certainly wouldn’t like to be in her shoes.

Over at Piron, past-Alec comes around and steps up at another board meeting. He wins Dillon as an ally and starts taking more control of Piron. I do expect there to be more opposition to him in the near future.

I appreciate that the show is trying to give the two Alecs a distinguishable look as to not get us as the audience confused. But that hair and that suit make him look very Wall-Street-y and very cold. Also, with the white shirt he looks like he just got back from a funeral. Alec and Dillon basically want to expand on the police and control business. Great.

Nice speech and role reversal by Theseus when he confronts Carlos in the parking garage. What does he mean by: “You certainly talk the talk, but I haven’t seen any walking”? To me it seems like he suggests that Carlos somehow is associated with Theseus now. Remember what happened in the old timeline in last season’s finale when Carlos sought refuge with Liber8 at the end? I'm not exactly sure what will come of all that, but I hope it is interesting.

Finally, Kiera comes around to a more independent and progressive view on “the system” when she is at the vigil for the dead. But, in a dose of reality, Cantor changes his mind about telling the truth. That goes to show that basically people do not act out of convictions but much more out of self-interest.
In the 2077-scenes Kiera has to pay for rescuing a child, after failing to rescue the ‘more valuable’ company executives. Well… I see some flaws in that approach: If you can make Kiera pay for the value lost from the deaths of those execs, can she also be credited with the (potential) value earned by the two kids she saved? Who knows, maybe they will become very rich and successful?!? Also: Kiera has some major life-debt now. But what happens if you die? Can you also have life-assets?

It seemed like all the other CPS guys were on board with what Kiera did. Does that suggest some kind of ‘civil unrest’ in the ranks of the CPS?

In other news: Past-Alec finds out what happened at the Piron power-source lab from some security footage and goes to meet his other self. That was an awesome scene that I was really looking forward to.

That reminded me a bit of the first time Olivia met BOlivia on Fringe, just without the fighting. But I bet these two will settle their dispute on a very different field of battle.
In the end we see that Emily chooses future-Alec.

In that she seems like a bit of an audience stand-in: choosing the more sympathetic Alec. Also: making out in a seedy motel room with you girlfriend: very classy :D

My conclusion for this week’s episode is:
The overall picture looks decidedly like it is right on track for the 2077-future. If that is a good or a bad thing is up to your own opinion.

Questions of Time:

See, some of these questions get answered rather promptly. Last week I asked:
Will one Alec create Sad-Tech and the other take over Piron?” and this week we get the answer: Yes.

That poses a new question: If future-Alec will be the guy running SAD-Tech and Emily chooses future-Alec, will Emily become Jason’s mom?

Who is it that Emily had the strength to safe?

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it. Now: discuss! :D

84 Comments
Comments (84)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Although I find it interesting that the time travelling cult are protecting what appears to be the wrong timeline - If Alex had travelled back in time to save Emily he would be more empathic as he would be grieving for Emily, his dad would be alive and it is unlikely that he would turn into the corporate monster that he seems to be becoming. However that timeline is the one that the future cult is trying to protect so either they are really thick/clueless or they are evil ( although evil is rather a subjective term here as there doesn't seem to be a 'good side' the corporations and liberate are just as bad as each other - which is one of the reasons why I love this show so much!)

Flag
ah man! hardly seems any point me commenting here and now because I am so far behind and a lot of my thoughts have been said already. :-( I can't wait until I catch up and can comment in realtime!
Flag
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty much the only one who will notice. But still nice to know that people still read older recaps after they watch.
Flag
Great review by the way.
Flag
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
So, yes that confrontation between the two Alecs was very Fringe. My big thought coming from that was well, Piron Alec is clearly being set up as the bad guy. It was kind of strange, much like we also found Bolivia funnier but never at the expense of our very serious Olivia, but oh hell, BAlec seems more innocent than Alec. Like, I can't see if the regular timeline continued if Alec would have followed this path. I mean, yeah, Esher would still be alive but still.

It is kind of weird, for the first time was curious if this Kiera is our Kiera. Its like she just got here again, the Kiera we knew last season had already had this person over the corporate thought process. I mean, even going to her appearance, our Kiera had the straighter hair and longer coat that the dead one does. I know there wasn't a switch or anything, but neither Kiera nor Carlos really seem like the same characters to me. Has Kiera mentioned her son?

I am not sure why we are getting more flash forwards. I mean we established the timeline has changed and that was sort of why we got like three last season. I don't even trust them at all unless they are telling us that the slightly altered history we are seeing of Kiera's life is a result of the change.
More+
Flag
This entire episode was a colossal failure. Everyone was acting out of character and the two big reveals (Betty as mole and Alec's meeting with himself) were treated with narrative shrugs. Don't know what happened, but this one just didn't work AT ALL
Flag
* We had already seen flashbacks of Kiera that showed she wasn't strictly 'pro-police force' and 'pro-system'. We are simply getting more of them. Alec Sadler chose Kiera specifically because of who she is and the kind of cop she is.

* Regarding Kiera's life-debt: her husband is an executive at Sad-Tech and I assumed her fellow officers shaking her hand meant that they would also help with her life debt.

* The only problem with this episode is that Alec Sadler's having a controlling interest in Piron means that he'd get to have at least half of the board members. Frankly, Piron is a private company. Alec could have easily fired all the board members and put whoever he wanted on the board.
Flag
I'm a little conflicted in that I can't quite decide if this show has lost it's way a little or if it's fully in the zone of story telling that's gotten much more philosophical than in years past and I'm struggling to keep up.

Freelancers not collecting dead Kiera's body seems like a continuity break. Carlos finding a functioning abandoned freezer where he can store dead Kiera without fear of her being found seems high on the implausible side. And Betsy getting busted because she taped a SIM card to the bottom of her bedazzled stapler just seem straight up ridiculous.

But then we get a plethora of ethical questions regarding civil unrest vs policing. System vs the people it protects. Truth vs "truth". It all makes me think this show leaped over my head while I was paying attention to what I thought were stupid little mistakes.

Speaking of "mistakes. The security footage, how exactly did that come to pass. In the other time tree branch, future Alec uses the time machine, but that branch is dead. Travelling back in time and to a new branch, future Alec's actions stop past Alec from ever using that time machine so there shouldn't be any footage of him since in this time line, that never happened.

"I appreciate that the show is trying to give the two Alecs a distinguishable look as to not get us as the audience confused. But that hair and that suit make him look very Wall-Street-y and very cold."

While perhaps not so much the clothes, but I think the hair is intentionally meant to look like old Alec with the classic Cancer Man part and sweep across Trumpian hair styling.

The behind the back low five's that Kiera got from her 2077 colleagues...AWESOME!!! But doesn't that conflict with the opinion she held about upholding the system?
More+
Flag
See, I didn't even notice the resemblance of hairstyles to 2077-Alec.

About that security footage... that was footage of when future-Alec arrived in this (green) timeline and by arriving destroyed the energy-source-lab. So it is only logical if a camera in that lab recorded future-Alec's arrival in this timeline.

Like I said, there is not just the issue of Kiera's body, but also of her CMR (presumably still in her head), her suit and her weapon. Not to speak of the additional timemachine. So there are a lot of things that should be the Freelancers business, but we haven't seen them doing anything about those, yet.
Flag
Yeh the Freelancers are really dropping the ball. Unless as a Freelancer herself they're expecting / enforcing her to "deal with" the time-travel snafu's that she helped cause.

But considering the stakes, you'd think that if that were the case they'd help her out. Like give her the phone number of a "Body-Removal" service or something.
Flag
Ohhhhh...right...his arrival...of course. Never mind :)

I'd forgotten about her suit as well. That whole buring the time machine in the ground in a public park...worst idea ever. Freelancers...? More like Slackassers ;)
Flag
Scar Alec took the Quantum Device aka Time Ball apart BEFORE he buried it. The Freelancers can not detect the time ball when it is broken down into segments or put into a metal container. Not sure if the Freelancers can just randomly detect "stuff" from the future, I think they can only detect Time Travel Events.
Flag
I'm just trying to think now if the Freelancers have shown up at all to chat with Alec's about his travels
Flag
I am pretty sure the reason that Dillon comes to Alec's side in the Piron board meeting is because it is Alec that Dillon calls for help earlier in the show. Dillon owes a debt to Escher and as Alec is his son and the newest board member, and as Alec's ideas help Dillon's cause with his ideas it is win win. The show definitely plays repeatedly with characterizations and motivations. I for one, up until the middle point of this episode did not like what the Original timeline's Kiera had become and found her change in persona, even in desperation to get home pretty unfathomable. But what this episode makes clear is that those issues are still unresolved. I find both Alec's compelling, they however have very different playbooks based on decidedly different information. I do not think EITHER of them is fully right or wrong. FInally though some of the Old Dillon begins to show as things progress. I find Dillon's character flip (brought about by Escher in the previous timeline) the most disturbing disconnect of character so far. Though I am beginning to believe that the reasons for that change are deeper than it first appears and that Dillon too will continue a character evolution.
More+
Flag
First of all Carlos...somehow the guy annoys me this season a lot! Yeash we get it, his "partner" from that timeline is dead. Get over it...she came back from another timeline and is still the same person, ok but different, but still the same Kiera...so instead of grieving, be happy that she is still around..!!! No go and talk to a dead Kiera, that helps....for real...
Secondly Alec, the present Alec, who has taken over the company...i don't know...that boy is seriously troubled...no wonder he becomes when he is old one of the most hated ones...i really liked that Alec, but now...nope
The Old Alec, who came back, seems more reasonable and more himself..
That Julian guy is so creepy!! Even if he smiles...
Becky is screwed...did you saw the face Kiera gave her whahahahahaha
So now she is the spy for the cops instead spy for Liber8...funny..poor thing...somehow i liked her..thought she was smart girl...
Dylan and Alec working together...WTF!!!
Wow the close up of Alec didn't do him good. Too much make up or that guys is simply white as snow....!!
What....Jullian treathening Carlos....nice! that boy has some balls!!
Cool that the team supported Kiera for saving those girls...i would have done the same...
So i have to say, if i have to choose between the Alecs, i go for the one from the future...
More+
Flag
Yeh I don't get that.

It would be one thing if future-Keira was like from the way way future or something... and that future-Keira spent years working without him and grew apart and as a result had a different personality.

But future-Kiera only had around 1-2 week's worth of memories over past-Keira. That's nothing. And any difference in her "personality" is just a reaction to current events.
Flag
The two Alecs were two different IMO. It's only a few days with two of them and they are like different persons.
Flag
True, they developed fairly quickly into very distinguishable characters. But to me the future-Alec is the one that changed the least. The one running Piron now changed rather apruptly, but maybe that change was forced upon him by the circumstances with him inheriting Piron and finding out abou Emily.
Flag
If someone should've changed for worse it's the future Alec IMO. Because he is the one that's been through more shit.
Flag
This season is getting mad with flashbacks and how Kiera reacts. One minute she's refusing to kill some guy but then literally gets overridden by the creepy commander and her suit and murders him. She has a little think and moves on seemingly ok about it. Next she's refusing to save some bigwigs at the expense of a child and gets low fived by her fascist police comrades.
In the now, she near throttles a girl to death, were it not for Carlos. But then the latter is going schizoid too, making threats to 'Theseus' and saying why did I help you? Er, to save a murder wrap from your woodland cabin killing partner, perhaps. Oh and how's the dead chick in the fridge Carlos? Have you made a pact to die the stupid death of drinking yourself to blackout and freezing to death from hypothermia? No. Oh well. Comforting how they both listened to Betty's side of things and didn't just make her a target. Oh...
I have something of a love hate for this show, or should I say Kiera. It's become laughable how she whines over people being selfish if they're not living to her requirements and, how quickly they become surplus to them. The more we see of her original world and how she blindly supported/s it is getting too much at times.
The actual enslaving, corporal punishment and executions should of had her revisiting where she stood by now. This was yet another week of maybe they had a point but then she still risks and/or uses other's lives and places them in jeopardy. Her desire to get back to her family and whether or not to save a tyrannical timeline have blurred so badly that I don't know where she'll fall minute to minute. And, so it'd seem, neither do the writers.
More+
Flag
I think your complaints about Kiera all fairly valid. especially about clinging to a system and a future that (from our perspective) is not really desirable.
I think she is in a transitionary period as far as her belief in the system goes.

Both main characters have their own burdens to bear and to come to grips with. Carlos the loss of his partner and Kiera the culture-shock of traveling back in time into a very different world. Both have trouble adjusting and both might mis-step during that period of adjustment.
At least that is the reasoning I myself see for their behavior.
Flag
This is my favorite episode so far! Alec finally has a chat with himself. There can be only one!
Flag
What surprised me is how much they disliked each other. I wonder how this interaction will shape the Alec Sadler of the future.
Flag
The scene is actually pretty interesting. The present timeline's Alec initially seems rather excited and wants to be friendly with Old Alec. It is Old Alec's responses (based on knowledge he has that new Alec does not, that leads to their open hostility toward each other. I think Old Alec's hostility in turn is very much connected to his love of Emily and wanting her for himself. The end of the episode therefore may change his direction as Alec 2 has effectively sworn off Emily (though I believe as time passes he will have cause to rethink it, assuming he lives at all). But the last thing Alec 2 says to his Older self, despite the shoulder check between them seems to me reflective of him retaining some of the idealism his older self has lost and gives hope for the character. When Old Alec says "I don't see how" in response to the idea of them being friends Old Alec responds "I'll figure it out".
Flag
yeah, I'm really looking forward to the resolution of that problem of the two Alecs.
Flag
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that Carlos talking with the other Kiera's dead body was creepy. I wonder if the living Kiera knows she's there and if she does, how is that "getting rid of the body."

I wouldn't be surprised if someone found it later in the season.
Flag
I can't figure what he doing... Neither can Carlos!
Flag
"Remember what happened in the old timeline in last season’s finale when Carlos sought refuge with Liber8 at the end? I'm not exactly sure what will come of all that, but I hope it is interesting."

YES ! and it is immensely frustrating that this storyline is gone with the timeline (even if the timeline jump was cool). the end of season 2 was excellent.

"It seemed like all the other CPS guys were on board with what Kiera did. Does that suggest some kind of ‘civil unrest’ in the ranks of the CPS?"

That was awesome. maybe, also... it could indicate that she is way past grieving for her family, trying to go back to the future at any cost, and that she is now seeing the bleak future more objectively. what if she decides that after all it isn't a future worth saving ?

"That poses a new question: If future-Alec will be the guy running SAD-Tech and Emily chooses future-Alec, will Emily become Jason’s mom?"

add another question : which Alec then will send a message to Alec 2012 in Kiera's chip ?
Flag
As for the last question: I think that would have to be the Alec that runs SAD-Tech. Because he would then also be the one who sends Kiera back in time and all that.

But if it came to that, everything would have been for nothing because nothing changed if we arrive at the exact same situation in 2077.
Flag
If SAD-Tech Alec is the one who sends Kiera back to change the future, could Piron Alec be the one who creates the Freelancers to keep the future the same?
Flag
Hmm. Good question. Could be.
Flag
So I can sorta see GrAlec doing the corporate shark thing and just putting down all opposition and putting himself on top of that power pyramid of the future before RAlec takes his place somehow, kinda like RaKeira took GKeira's place, putting him in position to send GKeira back in time to...sorry...my brain just exploded and I have to clean grey matter off of my laptop...
Flag
At first I thought that Piron would be set back on its original course without Alec after the board forces him out. But now it looks like we could get a tech company showdown between the two Alecs. If Kellog can't get a piece of the action from Piron Alec, he will probably try to get back into business with the other Alec. I'm not quite sure how they are going to both be public figures. "Hey we're 'twins' and we're both super geniuses who hate each other and run competing companies and we're both named Alec."
Flag
Based on her date of birth being revealed as 12/05/1981 in last weeks episode and assuming this wasn't just a prop-typo. The show takes place in 2012/13.
So based on the D.O.B. - that makes Emily at least 31 years old. Alec is 17! Something's not right here!
Poll

Flag
It was a typo. She was born in 1991.
Flag
I often pause whenever birth dates are shown on shows. I seem find that whoever was in charge of the fine print doesn't always do a great job, and this bothers me. Sometimes they have the date for characters about ten years older than they're actually supposed to be. Or its different throughout the show. I really don't know why. In real life, the actress is 28. So maybe they just went off that. I don't know.

Another thing I caught on hers is that it says she's 5 foot 7. I could tell just by seeing her on screen that she isn't nearly that tall. I went to IMDB and sure enough, she's only 5 foot 3.
Flag
I noticed the height thing too! Like, please - she's CLEARLY not 5'7 because Erik Knudsen is teeny tiny and she's shorter then him. (Don't even get me started on the fact that old-Alec is about 8 inches taller then young-Alec) But usually I can get past height-related errors because height and weight is ALWAYS incorrect or exaggerated on television.
Plus if a shows story is good, I really couldn't care less about their blatant actor/character height lies. Most actors even always add a couple of inches on their "official height" resumes. Lol
So I've kind of come to think of it as a nitpick non-issue.

However, the DATE OF BIRTH thing with Emily just really stands out. I mean it's obvious that Emily/Maya (the character) is NOT 31. She is Alec's age or a year or two older at the most. So the DOB thing straight away made me think it's a purposefully inserted hint that she is also a time-traveler.

But now that you brought it up, it could very well be a production error. I'm really hoping that it isn't though. Only because I think it would be a cool reveal (if Emily turns out to be a time-traveler) and a neat hint for hardcore fans.

I'm also a big detail nazi when it comes to stuff like that. Especially on my favourite TV shows. I remember being sooo pissed of when Walter Bishop's (Fringe) blood type changed from A Positive to O Negative. I wouldn't have cared if it was a paperwork error but in Season 3 he CLEARLY stated that both him and Peter were A Positive and then in Season 4 he gives blood to save a dying man, stating that he's a universal O-Neg donor. Lol They did the same thing with Peter but with him it was a paperwork error, so it didn't bother me as much. I know that these are nit picks and Fringe is so brilliant that ultimately, I don't mind the small continuity errors like that.

But you'd think that TV shows would be onto this issue by now. I mean they know that fans tend to obsess and notice these things. How hard can it be to ensure that the piece of paper that you're shooting with that CAMERA has the correct info on it? That should really be the easiest thing production-wise.

So yeah I'm really hoping that Emily's date of birth thing wasn't just a production error. More so, I'm hoping it was an intentional hint that she time-traveled before. But now that I've thought about it, there's every chance that it was just an error. Especially since past-Alec hasn't called her out on it. Sigh.

More +
Flag
In Continuum's case, I would hope that its an actual detail. But the fact that they made her height so inaccurate has me wondering.

Fringe had so many inconsistencies. I think Olivia's birth date changed three times. The blood thing is bad. I remember my screenwriting teacher once telling the class that when she wrote Disney shows, they had a "bible" for the show, with all of the character details, events, and continuity. I would think the same would apply for other networks as well. I mean seriously, how hard is it to pick a birth date for the character and put it at the top of their profile?
Flag
I totally get your frustrations.

I just think there is a difference that has to be accounted for: Some shows - like POI and Fringe - put a value in some specific little details which are sort of like the easter-eggs for the hardcore fans.
On the other hand there are a myriad of details that don't nescessarily add to the production value of a show. And everything you add to the production value costs money. Since usually these shows run on a tight budget and/or money is spent on more important stuff, l am not surprised some little mistakes just slip through into the final product.

It is annoying though if you have a whole discussion (like with the birthdate) and in the end it turns out that someone just fucked up.
Oh, and yes, I totally expect there to be a "bible" about the main characters in every writers room.... *dream* :)
Flag
I know! Every TV show should have a "bible" with at least the basic facts for each character such as name, birth date, parents & sibling names, address, blood type, place of birth etc. that the show makes up at conception (or at least during its first season) and sticks with for it's entire run. Every TV show should hire at least one person who is in charge of just that.
You'd think that TV has learned by this by now. Especially after shows like LOST where fans obsess and go over every detail with a fine-tooth comb. This should be a no-brainer.
Flag
Flag
Poll

Flag
Yeah Emily's comment about "saving someone" makes me think more and more that she's a time-traveler. Or a time-traveling Freelancer, at least. Maybe she traveled back in time and saved Jason (her & Alecs son) at some point in time. We know from last season that Jason hinted that he has been in the freelancer prison before so who knows? That and the date of birth from last weeks episode certainly strongly suggest that Emily is a time-traveler.
BUT! How come past-Alec didn't bring it up with her? Please don't tell me he didn't notice...I mean he held the document with her date of birth in his hands! I really hope this gets addressed soon because if past-Alec really didn't notice the date of birth - then that would just be bad writing and Continuum doesn't really do bad writing. Well it hasn't so far anyway.

Yes Carlos gave a whole new meaning to the word necromantic. But I really feel for him and the actor is really selling it. Poor Carlos. He did lose his partner. Well at least a trust worthier version of his partner. Just when they had gotten to good place and formed a strong friendship future-Keira shows up with past-Keira's body. THAT WOULD FREAK ME OUT! Regardless of the fact that he knew about time-travel. Yes, I'm starting to really feel bad for Carlos and I hope we get to explore his character more.

Actually, I hope we continue to explore every character more this season. Go serialised storytelling, go!

Interesting how future-Alec decided not to tell past-Alec that EMILY DIED and that was THE ONLY reason he time-traveled. I think he actually wants Emily all to himself now that he knows that past-Alec is more concerned with Piron and power then he is with his inner happiness. But also what did he expect? To time-travel back, save Emily and let her keep on living happily ever after with the other version of him?? Was he gonna kill himself once he saved her in order for her and past-Alec to be happy??? Or did he not think this through (he may be a genius but he is still a kid who runs on emotions) properly. Either way, it seems like his mind is made up now and he wants to not only stay in this timeline but he's essentially "stolen" Emily from himself. And it makes sense that Emily chooses him since past-Alec made it pretty easy on her with the whole "I don't trust you, you're a liar" speech. Alec continues to be a fascinating character and now that there's two of him even more so. Erik Knudsen is doing a great job.
I really loved that Alec on Alec scene! More of that please! The Back To The Future reference and this: "You know if this was Star Trek we'd fight right now!"

Thanks for the great review as always @xubxerox. :-)
More+
Flag
Thanks. :-)

Oh I think Alec acted very impulsively when he jumped back in time. I don't believe there was any bigger plan or strategy involved at all. He is basically making it up as he goes.
That is not to say that the producers of the show didn't have exactly this planned for this season :)

Flag
Yeah, it's easy to forget that Alec is just a lovesick teenager who wanted to save his first love. At least future-Alec is. Past-Alec is becoming a bit darker.
Flag
Past Alec is starting to resemble the 2077 Alec. I'm still not sure how two Alecs is going to play out. Now that he has Emily, future Alec might not have as many problems with past Alec.
Flag
Flag
Fact: Wallpaper is BACK big time! Just FYI - it's very much in vogue right now and all the interior designers are all bout it!
Flag
All I have to say to that sort of wallpaper is: UAGHH. No matter what is "in vogue" to my eye that is decidedly ugly.

I fear that all that leads somehow to this:

And that just plainly is THE HORROR :D
Flag
Oh yeah no doubt. Wallpaper is freaking hideous no matter whether it's in bright colours or muted modern tones. All I meant to say is that it's no longer a 70's or 80's thing. Unfortunately Wallpaper time-traveled right into the future aka our present!
WOW LOOKING AT THAT PIC IS REALLY FREAKING ME OUT! Thanks for that! LOL
Very trippy indeed.
"Excellent, let's make some LSD!" ;-)
Flag
Ok. Nice to know someone agrees with me :D Hehe.
Flag
As much as I love the fact that this is Canada-as-Canada show it's becoming increasingly clear that it's a show that was aimed for US market form start. In previous seasons you had several phrases relating to US law enforcement, such as "federal agent", "Internal affairs", not to mention Section 6 had "links to FBI and NSA" (or was it CIA? Anyway it was one of those alphabet soup agencies). This ep made that even clearer. Why would Canadian professor give speach about who was terrorist in the past and include US founding fathers? American professor saying that would make perfect sense, Canadian much less so. Same goes for Kent state massacre. Again, for US professor that would be an important issue, but less so for Canadian. Or "corporations are (not!) people" which is again more of an US thing.

Then show falls back on old bad habit of "My super suit protects things it doesn't cover" Seeing how Kiera had her head exposed that would be exposed to fire/heat. this happened in earleir seasons where she turned on the invisibility thingy and her previously uncovered head vanished as well.

So, speaking of Kiera, I find her character increasingly unsympathetic. With each flashback (flashforward?) we see how opressive 2077 government really is and yet she serves it willingly, enthusiastically and is doing anything in her power to bring about that future. she still trusts the system even though she repeatedly saw how that systems works. The more we see of this the more she looks like NKVD or Stasi agent who had no problems shipping people to camps because the system labeled them enemies. Yes, she is a loving wife and mother but she still eagerly serves opressive regime.

And why is Dillon on Piron board of directors? Considering Piron is financing VPD he should be in subordinate position. And why is Piron still financing them? Wasn't there a big scandal in season 2 when this deal became exposed and Dillon got (temporary) axed.

It's nice to see Fonnegra as voice of conscience, something he was already in season 2 when Kiera and friends wanted to go all edieaval on Theseus's ass. But what is really happeneing between him, Betty and Theseus? In season 2 finale she brings him to Theseus, now he exposes her and has some harsh words with him? Obviously something more is going on. And while Betty angle needs to be faked since others need to see it if Carlos and Theseus are working together why those exchanges which nobody could see and as such don't have to pretend to hate each other? And Theseus pointing finger at Fonnegra for orchestrating wole shooting incident, huh?

Another thing that I noticed in previous season. Chips that controlled those robbers are very similar to ones Sad-tech is making in future. You know, ones that turn people into robots making those chips in factory Theseus blows up. but right now Piron is developing them so how did they cross over?

But hey, show follows the always relevant advice: needs more redheads.
More+
Flag
Also, in Season one, Section 6 was linked to American agencies because Kiera's character is posing as an American agent. It's not a Canadian intelligence agency.
Flag
She posed as an American at first, after she saw that policewoman on TV. After that identity got blown she switched to whole Section 6 thing.
Flag
Ther show also includes CSIS in its alphabet soup an agency that means nothing to most American's but is very decidedly Canadian.
Flag
I disagree about the "American" thing. The professor also mentioned Sinn Fein (Ireland) and the ANC (South Africa). The show is dealing with global issues.
Flag
I think so too. I'm Australian and I'm finding that I can relate or at least understand everything perfectly. I think the show already shows a lot of respect to Canada by being based in the city it's filming in. Unlike 99% of other shows that film there.
But I don't find that the show is purposefully trying to appeal to U.S. audiences only. If anything the show is doing a great job at not being country or even genre specific for that matter. It's GLOBAL issues and broad subject matter. And that's one thing I really appreciate about it.
Flag
About Keira being unsympathetic you're absolutely right but I don't think she's "becoming" unsympathetic. She's been the semi/bad guy for a while now - it's nothing new. She has been especially selfish & bitchy towards the whole Alec situation and has made it all about HERSELF.
However this was the first episode that suggested that she might start changing her mind both in the present and in the future. At least I hope she becomes more sympathetic or at least more conflicted as that makes for more intersting viewing. Which makes one wonder if that flashback was the future she came from or already a different future based on the changed past. Hmmm....
Flag
I said she is becoming increasingly so. Partially because of what we learn about her past/future, part because of her actions now. But yes, she was such from beginning but was at first tampered by the fact that Liber8 were even worse in season 1 and because she was shown as caring mother and loving wife. And I also agree how she treated alec in season 1. When she wanted something she wanted it now and who cares if Alec had other things to take care of.
Flag
Yeah I really hate it when she's mean to Alec in general. I couldn't stand her attitude towards him in the opening scene of S03E02. She was a total bitch in that scene.
Flag
Regarding Keira's suit. It's already been addressed and explained. It's has like a inbuilt shield and it has a censor to "protect" or "cloak" stuff that isn't covered by the suit. Like in the scene when her and Carlos dodge the bullets, it protected Carlos too. So sorry but that seems like a nitpick at something that has already been EXPLAINED many times.
Flag
If you look closely you can see that in that scene that cloak causes certain distortion (or blur) and when bullet hits it causes visible ripple. In this ep when she walks through the fire there is no blur and her suit reacts, which means there no such shield but rather fabric of the suit itslef is protecting her. So her head is exposed.
Flag
When she walks through the fire I thought I noticed a blue light go beyond her suit, indicating comprehensive protection.

But either way, how would just her suit reacting visibly mean that her head is exposed? It's science fiction. The suit can work invisibly if the creators want it to.
Flag
Right. But she has to "activate" that specific feature. Because in other scenes she shields her head with her arm in gunfights.

Oh and if it always worked like that, how could someone have shot dead-Kiera dead? :D
Flag
I think there are two different features of the suit we are talking about. The first one is that it is bullet proof and seems like an automatic feature that only protects areas covered by the suit. The other is a shield or forcefield that deflects bullets away from the suit and has to be activated. In that scene where she protects Carlos, she is between him and the bullets and they are deflected away.

The fire protection has to be a 3rd feature in order to protect her from heat. It has to filter air too or she wouldn't be able to breathe in the smoke. And it can be extended to cover whatever she is holding.
Flag
No, no. I wasn't implying (neither was the show, I think?) that it's a automatic thing that happens as soon as there's bullets flying or whatever. Obviously she needs to activate it depending on the situation.
Just like she does to for the cloaking/invisibility feature. And just like she did in the episode for the fire shield.

I was was just saying that the suit does have the feature that when activated, it protects the exposed parts of her body. Eg. her head.
Flag
I thought I saw embers from the fire crackling against a feint blue energy field. She can extend a protective force field over her body and others as seen in the S1 finale when she protected Alec from the building explosion.
Flag
As far as the Canadian issues go, I as someone who is neither american nor canadian, don't really care. To me those are basically global issues. Terrorism most certainly is. And sometimes I just wouldn't know what is a US and what a Canada issue - like with the Kent state massacre.

As far as Kiera being unsympathetic goes, I do partially agree. I just think that they are slowly introducing and pushing her doubt of the system to the foreground this season. Changing an attitude like that through experience usually takes a bit of time to properly manifest. And that way has the added bonus that we get to watch that transition.

Dillon was placed on the board by Escher, probably in exchange for access to the PD. The scandal, as far as I remember, happened in that week that changed because Alec jumped in time. Therefore that scandal only happened in the other, original timeline. In this timeline it didn't happen.
Same goes for Carlos and Betty joining Theseus - that never happened in this timeline. But I do agree, something is going on between Carlos and Theseus in this timeline that we don't yet know about.
More +
Flag
Well, as for phrases it's something I've noticed. It's not a big thing but it shows that Continuum was aimed at US m
When it comes to Kiera don't forget that what we see in flashes already happened in her (relative) past. So when she arrived to 2012 Vancouver the whole "children trapped in burning building" is something she already experienced. And yet in previous seasons she never doubted the system. Nor does she now, for that matter.

And you are of course right about diverging timelines. I forgot about that. Future Alec showed up when Lucas was hacking into system so scandal didn't happen on screen. but emails still got leaked and Piron-VPD connection exposed (remember Lucas takedown happened same way in both timelines).

But yes, Betty-Carlos-Julian thing didn't happen. Which makes one wonder what was whole point of having people vote on what Betty will do during season 2 if that timeline got ditched anyway. Unless of course people will travel there, which doesn't seem likely.
Flag
I disagree that Kiera has never shown doubt in Season 1 or 2 about her future world either. She has, but it has been more subdued. What I do think is purposeful is that the past events that Kiera has experienced where she has resisted the system are coming far more fast and furious. This is clearly deliberate as it is meant to show a very radical shift in Kiera's character. Initially I was NOT very happy with the direction that Kiera seemed to be going as she seemed to me to have reverted very much to a "Return to my own timeline no matter the cost" version of things despite past character development, but her change of persona throughout seems odd. I think the Betty connection is going to be very important here moving forward too. Presently Kiera and Carlos' reactions are a bit one sided but it seems very much to me that it was Kiera's actions that spared Betty criminal prosecution. On the surface this seems just to be to turn her double agent (especially in light of what Carlos says), but I see subtle clues that suggest to me that Kiera's motivation is more complicated.
Flag
Kiera will find a way to screw things up I'm sure. We have not seen te freelancers show up again yet
Flag
Just to clear up a few points.
1: Canada has a federal government, therefore it has federal agencies. In season 1 neither the CIA nor the FBI were mentioned. The agency mentioned in association with Section 6 was CSIS which stands for Canadian Security Intelligence Service.
2: Police forces around the world have an internal affairs department.
3: The professors mention of the US founding fathers amongst other past perceived terrorist organizations is actually typical. Canadian school curriculum includes lessons in the history of many nations, not just my own. In social studies class I learned about the Bolshevik Revolution, French Revolution, the American Revolution as well as lots of Canadian history.

Finally, Continuum wasn't targeted at the US market. It didn't even premiere in the US until more than 7 months after its premiere in Canada.
Flag
"Canada has a federal government, therefore it has federal agencies."

But those agents are not refered to as "federal agents". That's a US thing to separate federal agencies (FBI, DEA, ATF.....) from state.

"In season 1 neither the CIA nor the FBI were mentioned. The agency mentioned in association with Section 6 was CSIS which stands for Canadian Security Intelligence Service."

They were. when Betty is checking Kiera she mentions that Section 6 has links to and is backed by FBI and one other intelligence agency. Which makes no sense for Canadian intel agency.

"Police forces around the world have an internal affairs department."

Yes, but In US they are called "Internal Affairs", in Canada they are called something else, depending on province. It's a matter of using term that will be familiar to US audience familiar with Us police shows

"The professors mention of the US founding fathers amongst other past perceived terrorist organizations is actually typical."

How likely is that? I mean Canadian praising US founding fathers? Same for Kent state. How likely is professor to mention that incident as oppsoed to, say, Athens Polytechnic or Tehran University crackdowns? Again, using something that will be familiar to US audience.

"Finally, Continuum wasn't targeted at the US market. It didn't even premiere in the US until more than 7 months after its premiere in Canada."

They use phrases more likely to be used by Americans and familiar to US audience. Which to me shows that they hoped to sell it to US market.
More +
Flag
Yeah, I guess it does make sense even for a canadian show set in Canada to aim at the US market since that is WAY bigger and more lucrative.

You are right, the flashbacks show stuff that already happened to Kiera in her past. details :) ... But maybe now she is reevaluating her experiences. She does not yet doubt the system, but she follows where the evidence leads her, no matter what Dillon wants. And she did that "right" thing in saving the kid in that flashback no matter her orders. So there is potential for her to become a "rebel" of sorts.

There was a vote on what Betsy should do during season 2? Amazing :D
Flag
@aktarian "The problem with these flashes is that it creates an illusion that she is having experiences as current story moves on. But they are part of her (relative) past today same as they were when she arrived which means that whatever doubts she may have now (rescuing children, contraband found in her parent's apartment....) was there when she started to help VPD against Liber8."

Thats not true though. She has those experiences certainly. However having acted out in my youth against specific injustices I see in the system, does not equate to a wholesale doubt in the system. Especially, when preserving the system is in my own self interest. Kiera may have in the past had many instances where she disagreed with the system (Some of which is shown in her conversations with her Husband in earlier seasons in fact) but those interactions did not reach a tipping point. We are however not merely collections of experiences but rather the sum total of our experiences over time. Kiera is constantly reevaluating her position (a line she uses directly) based on new information. Her conclusions will be informed not only based on the present but based on viewing her past in a new light. This portends, as far as I am concerned, major character development for Kiera and I welcome it.
More +
Flag
The problem with these flashes is that it creates an illusion that she is having experiences as current story moves on. But they are part of her (relative) past today same as they were when she arrived which means that whatever doubts she may have now (rescuing children, contraband found in her parent's apartment....) was there when she started to help VPD against Liber8.

"There was a vote on what Betsy should do during season 2? Amazing :D"

Yes, there was a poll on whether she should help Liber8 or not. In the end she did, hence the ending of that season.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members