A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Right, so just to be on the safe side, let me again say this upfront:

This recap contains SPOILERS from the season 3 of Continuum. Since not everyone watches the show on the Canadian schedule, there will be those of you who haven’t seen it yet. That’s why I am telling you upfront:

DON’T CONTINUE READING IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE WHEN THE SHOW AIRS IN THE US.

This weeks installment of Continuum, called "Minute Man" gets another recap after at least some of you seemed to have read last week's recap.

Anyway, off we go:

--------- Spoilers Ahead -------------

Well, after the season premiere last week wrapped up some story threads from the season two finale, this week's episode wrapped up many of the questions presented by said premiere. Therefore this episode contained less surprises and change, and more a return to the normal pace of the show that we were used to from the previous two seasons.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. You can’t keep changing stuff at a pace like the first episode did. The result of that was, that one could very much feel the slowed pace this week. With no action at all and a lot of talking, the contrast seemed quite stark. It was not a bad episode though. It brought the rest of the characters back in and some of them up to speed. It pushed the non-timetravel-plot foreward with the police and Liber8. And after last weeks turmoil, this week the waves that Alec’s timetravel created seemed to somewhat settle down again.

Ok, onto what happened:

First off, I have to say:
YAY – An origin story of the CPS-protector Kiera Cameron from 2067.

Second: Future repo-men are major dicks. And you have to pay to get your stuff confiscated. And you have to listen to stuff like this: “Nostalgia is a waste of space and energy”. To me that whole scene from 2067 almost had the quality of comic-relief. Under the 'life-debt-relieve and rectification statutes' Kiera’s mom got most of her stuff confiscated. And we see Kiera’s sister again, the one who later died when under the influence of some future-drugs. And apparently the Cameron family has lived in the apartment for generations…

Even worse: you are not allowed to have books or vinyl records anymore – all ‘old media’ is banned as contraband. We certainly have not heard about that before. The ‘old media’ term was well chosen by the writers with the term ‘new media’ encompassing everything digital nowadays. I certainly would like to read some of those books:

Uhh... I want to know more about those theories... :D

Now: YAY again – for a new title sequence and one that has no weird voice-over but some new graphics and music. It’s nothing special when compared to what shows like POI does or what Fringe did, but I thought it certainly was better than the old one.
After the stuff from 2067 – do we call that a flash-back or a flash-foreward? - we are back with future Kiera and Alec in the lab.

That in this pic is some of the worst fake blood I have seen in a long time on any show. I noticed it last week, but this week there was a better shot for me to make a screen-cap. Anyway, the issue of the dead Kiera gave us this gem of a conversation:

Kiera: “Who killed me?” – Alec: “Which one are you?” – Kiera: “I guess that ends with which one you are.”
Only SciFi can give you stuff like that. And that's one of the reasons why I love it...

After some blame was thrown around (not for the last time in this episode) we had to realize, that despite being a tech-genius, future Alec seems to be a somewhat slow and dimwitted idiot. He did not realize that with his timejump he brought back a timemachine and he admits that he did not care for the consequences when he jumped back. And one of those was this:

It also seems that future Kiera is (acting?) somewhat cold with Alec. That is an old but working plot device: to break up the team or at least sow some mistrust. And it is not totally unwarranted here.

And since this was the scene of the weird dialogue, Kiera said this: “The future is catching up with you” to Alec. WHAT? Ok, I am certainly not the smartest guy around, but I think I’m about average and I do have a college degree – but I can’t figure out how that works, the future catching up to you. Wouldn’t it have to slow down instead? That sentence makes no sense, even for a timetravel show. Or can you explain it to me?

After that we are with Tahmoh Penikett’s Mayor-elect Jim Martin and a weird, creepy and drug-using attorney at some random party. Turns out both of them work for Liber8 (we knew that about the Mayor) and Mayor Martin gets told that his plan to divide Liber8 has failed. That prompts a face:

and these words: “Don’t stress my friend, don’t stress” Usually sound advice, but maybe not when you plotted against Liber8 and got found out.

When we are back with Kiera and Alec, they meet up with Carlos during the night to discuss some private stuff:

I guess Kiera’s explanation of why she involved Carlos in getting rid of her dead body makes sense. You tend to more easily believe weird stuff when you see it with your own eyes. It also shows how much she trusts Carlos, and that she wants to involve him right from the start, in whatever fallout she will have to deal with at some point.

The next day, at the police station, Kiera gets back into her old routine with everyone there. But when she contacts past (green) Alec, the lies to cover up the time-jump start up. You can already tell at this point, that Kiera will run into trouble with keeping all her lies straight.

Inside the station the Mayor-elect tries to turn himself in and become a police informant. Outside Kiera meets with future Alec and we see that Kiera is on the hunt for an apartment:

In the following conversation both characters still try to figure out their trust issues and what to call who. But at least both are on the same page as far as past events go and how everybody got to this point in time.

And when past Alec finds the pieces to the past time machine in the lab, the central issue thus far reappears: Who killed past Kiera? Last week we all speculated that it might have been Kiera herself. But in this episode she doesn’t directly deny that, she is just is very adamant about finding her killer. I think she is still on the (my) suspect list, but it seems more likely that someone else did it.
The list of suspects includes: Alec, Kellog, any of the Freelancers, Emily and Kiera herself. Adding to that mystery is the question of why whoever did it, left the timemachine in the lab.

Kiera and past Alec have totally different issues than Kiera and future Alec. Here those issues involve knowledge of events that transpired and Kiera not telling him the truth. I think all those issues around Alec will intensify in the future. And we might see a “trust-reversal” between past and future Alec and Kiera. The scene is certainly set for an event that will make her trust future Alec more, and past Alec less.

When Carlos takes the old biker buddy of Liber8 into custody, on a tip from the Mayor-elect, Garza shows up and meets back up with Travis, who btw really does not have a super-suit:

And Liber8 is reunited, except for Lucas, who is still in police custody. The fact that Kiera set Garza free seems to be not much of an issue to everyone there. Maybe that will come up at a later point, especially when Kiera needs something from Garza. Garza (and us) then gets the short version of the new Liber8 strategy which is designed to make their actions more likable and appealing to people. And I think to the TV-audience as well.

And then, on the day on which Emily got killed in the red timeline, future Alec almost bumps into himself when at Jason’s. There, past Alec just got the news about Jason being related to him. In an effort to continue to keep Emily safe, he prevents her from going to Jason’s place as well, since that was when in the red timeline, the Freelancers showed up and Emily was shot on the roof.

Later, when Kellog shows up at the police station to get ahead of the fact that he met with Escher just prior to his shooting, Dillon and the Mayor-elect are going at it, accusing each other with corruption. The one interesting bit of information we get out of that conversation is, that Dillon at this point, is already in bed with Pyron Corp. Or better put: on their board of directors. I just wonder, who runs Pyron Corp. now that Escher is dead? And will it (they) still have an evil agenda and try to create the CPS?
It is also revealed that Betsy at this point is still a Liber8 mole and that Carlos almost certainly does not know about that yet.

Later on Kiera has a heart to heart with Kellog. In an attempt to get one up on Kellog, she tells him that Escher was Alec’s father and in that reveals that there are two Alecs.

You should guard your words better, girl. Stuff you say is being used against you.

At the same time the Mayor-elect hitches a ride in an ambulance (!!) out of the police station. On the way he promptly gets abducted by Liber8 and they shoot a little confession-video about his corruption:

THAT thoroughly pisses off Inspector Dillon. In an attempt to get future Alec into the lab, Kiera enlists the help of past Alec in the search for the Mayor-elect. At the same time, future Alec is starting to look into restoring dead Kiera’s CMR video data in an attempt to find out who killed her. All that suggests again that Kiera did not kill her other self.
When Betsy is quicker in locating the Mayor-elect than past Alec, she almost immediately draws his suspicion. After all he is supposed to be VERY good at this stuff and he just got bested by the office help.

When finally Emily and Kellog meet, Kellog once again gained the upper hand because of the info he got from Kiera. With the treat of exposing Emily’s role in Escher’s killing, Kellog gets her to work for him. We don’t know yet what exactly that involves, but she is most certainly keeping him apprised of whatever one of the Alecs does.

Emily certainly seems to be the low girl on the totem pole. She has almost no power, except for her fighting prowess, and she has no friends except for Alec. I wonder why she didn’t at least punch Kellog in the face ONCE in that scene.

Finally we see that Kiera gets a new place – the old place. If she buys it and lives there, and in 2067 we learn that her family lived there for generations, is she the one that starts that tradition by giving it to her grandmother Lily Cole who she rescued in S01E05?

In the second flash-forward we learn that ‘old media’ is considered contraband because of intelligence issues, meaning it and it’s access can’t be monitored electronically.

Well, WELCOME TO THE FUTURE, the future of the NSA: Any media has to be electronically accessible in order to be monitored by law. Great news, George Orwell… Will this be our future? Looking forward to it…

In the last scene we get reminded again of the issue of the day (or maybe the season):

Questions of Time:

Many questions were answered:
  • Carlso knows about Kiera’s timetravel and the multiplication of “stuff”.
  • Future Alec knows almost everything – except about Escher being his father and Emily killing him.
  • Kellog knows about the two Alecs
  • Dillon already works with Pyron
  • Escher is really dead in this timeline.
But new ones appeared:
  • Will future Alec sacrifice himself somehow and for some reason? Or even kill himself?
  • Kiera becoming a CPS agent – desperate move or calculated, planned intent?
  • How does Kiera afford the flat? How does she get paid if she doesn’t really work for the government?
  • Can anyone figure out why this episode was named "Minute Man"? What's with the naming of the episodes anyway? Will next season's episodes all be named with 'hour' in it in some way?!?

What did you guys think of this week's episode and the developments it presented?

Thanks for reading... xub.
85 Comments
Comments (85)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm in the US, so I just saw this episode this past Friday (it is Monday where I am). I still sort of felt like I was catching up. Future Alex makes me sad (especially when he was saying he was out because you just know that the Freelancers can probably access Kiera's CMR or through those dots and will take that to mean he is not the Alec to lead them to the predetermined future and want him to be eliminated and you just know however rightfully pissed Kiera is at Alec, she knows that is her Alec).

Poor Carlos, I feel like even though last season ended with him being welcomed into Julian and Alec's house and we were all saying, well, crap that is how Julian gets focused on the military side of things, that didn't seem to be where this Carlos is heading. I presume we should be conflicted about this because even though Julian and his actions in the future are terrorist, I really don't want those farms to develop. I actually totally forget how he puts together Betsy's position last season.

Is it weird to anyone else that this timeline's Alec seems a little off? Like, I get that he clearly knows Kiera is hiding something and is lying to him and he doesn't like not having access to her CMR, but he just doesn't seem totally with it. That made me start to think about timelines a little more and their degradation which led me to thinking about old doppelganger stories (where you have to kill your doppelganger because you can't both exist) and if Future Alec is a little more, well, alpha as it were and is slowly diminishing this timeline Alec's hold.
More+
Flag
Ok - since I'm up to episode 5 by now it is not so easy to answer without spoiling anything from future episodes. But basically I like how almost all the characters are somewhat grey and not black and white. But even with them being grey, there are different shades of grey (not 50 though) and we can clearly see different characters take different journeys from light to dark or viciversa. (Don't want to go into more detail)

To be honest, I can't remember either how Carlos figured Betty out last season.
Flag
And since this was the scene of the weird dialogue, Kiera said this: “The future is catching up with you” to Alec.

Actually that line works on a couple of levels
  • He only jumped back a week or so. Therefore technically his real "future" is catching up to him... though a more accurate way to say it is "you are catching up to your future"
  • His actions from the "future" are starting to come back and bite him in the arse. Things aren't going as smoothly as he had hoped, AND a Kira is dead.
  • The Freelancers are ON his arse. A cult / group frmo the "future" is after him trying to A) eliminate him and B) undo his mess.
Flag
Thats probably the best abstract of what that line is trying to say that I have read thus far. :)
Flag
ARggh My head hurts ! Time travel is messy! At least they closed off some arcs like the whole major/mob arc. Definitely surprised it wasn't Kiera who killed herself, so my new guess is its probably Emily want to tie up loose ends before going to Thailand. Gotta love Kellogg without him the show would lack so much intrigue, the guy is always up to something
Flag
My little theory is that Emily wanted to die, because she felt guilty over killing Escher who turns out to be Alec's father. That will be the reason now anyway.
Flag
Ok maybe this sounds and is indeed complicated but this is my theory about the timelines (Kiera and Alec) .

The story starts from 2077 with the execution of Liber 8 (let's call it Timeline A) and Kiera with Liber 8 send back in time creating another/new timeline ( Timeline B) in order to change history and prevent the events of the future with Liber 8 (the reason future Alec sent her back) but in the last episode of the second Season another timeline created when Alec went back in time 1 week from that day to save Emily, so new timeline ( Timeline C ) created . Unfortunately when Alec goes back in time the second timeline ( Timeline B ) destroyed/crashed (as we saw in the first episode of 3rd Season) so we are down to 2 timelines ( A and C ).

In Timeline C we have 2 Alecs (past and the future [ 1 week ahead ] ) and the Kiera of the future[ 1 week ahead ] and the Kiera from timeline C found dead in Alec's lab.
My theory is that anything happens now affect ONLY Timeline C and ONLY Timeline C , anything happened in the A timeline can't change!!! can change ONLY the timeline C with the other versions of their selves.

The mystery is that Kiera wants to go back to her ORIGINAL timeline (timeline A) but now she is in timeline C . If she will go to the future how can possibly know in what future will go?? timeline C or her original timeline (timeline A).

Tell me what are your comments about my theory ??
More+
Flag
"Who killed past Kiera?"

If we were taking bets after last week, I would have taken out a 2nd mortgage and then doubled down on Kiera killing her past self. Though, the issue of dual overlapping CMR video does still make my Spidey sense tingle that her hunting for her killer is a red herring designed to...well...I don't know what, but something.

"And we might see a “trust-reversal” between past and future Alec and Kiera."

You can see this coming, though eventually the truth will come out and after that explanation, it should be awfully easy for past Alec to forgive her, right?

"It is also revealed that Betsy at this point is still a Liber8 mole and that Carlos almost certainly does not know about that yet."

This is an arc that's always kind of bugged me and one I hope is put to bed soon. Past Alec is all over this and future Alec even more so. The death clock is officially started on Betsy.

"Is [Kiera] the one that starts that tradition by giving it to her grandmother Lily Cole who she rescued in S01E05?"

NICE! I completely forgot about Lily. I would presume she's the woman if the future flashbacks?

"Future Alec knows almost everything – except about Escher being his father and Emily killing him"

He also doesn't know about just how devastating his time travel was to his old timeline...something I find weird that Kiera didn't explain. Even if he didn't do a thing, just leaving that timeline was enough for it to collapse on itself and kill everybody on the planet. That lil punk really needs to have some accountability and I'm thinking the greatest possible genocide just to save the girl you've been dating a few months might just put that into context.

Though I suppose his conversation with Kiera in her new place does indicate that maybe he gets it. When stating that he'd never have anything to do with time travel again (including sending Kiera home) he almost looked resigned to the fact that this would ultimately mean that he has to die.

"Kiera said this: “The future is catching up with you” to Alec. WHAT? That sentence makes no sense, even for a timetravel show. Or can you explain it to me? "

I look at it like this. Where time travel is concerned, the past isn't behind and the future isn't ahead. Time isn't linear for those who can go anywhere/anywhen they want.

I think though you're taking it to literally though. I believe she was talking about him behaving a lot like the unscrupulous morality absent version of this future self, seemingly un-phased by just how much damage he does so long as personal gains are met. Cancer Man is catching up with him as opposed to "the future".

More+
Flag
  • Last week I would have put (some) Money on Kiera killing Kiera as well.
  • Are we sure that future Alec knows about Betsy? And yes, past Alec will be all over that...
  • Lily was actually Kiera's grandmother. The woman in the future flashback seems to be her mother, because the other girl, her sister, we have seen her bevore as well.
  • Future Alec DOES know about Escher being his dad. My mistake... Escher told him, when he showed him that family picture.
Flag
I don't think future Alec knows about Betsy, but he was even more surprised that past Alec.

Oh, right...duh...of course that's her mother. It was her grandmother who died.
Flag
What I wonder is...did the actor playing Julian leaving the show for 'The 100" throw off the plot???

...cuz Theseus was a huge plot point and major character overall, and now I feel like he's being scrapped..I really hope one of my favorite shows doesn't go too far down the rabbit hole like Lost....

Now, I know it's only 2 eopsiodes in, and this latest time travel is like a plot reboot, so I'm gonna give it time to develop, but I'm a little apprehensive at the moment...

Flag
Theseus being a big plot point, fair enough; but a major character, not so much.

As for the actor, well Roger Cross has been appearing Arrow for the last season and a bit and it hasn't stopped him working on Continuum. And while I don't know, I'm willing to bet that 'The 100' is made in or around Vancouver and it's another CW show, so I can't see it making a difference to Julian's appearences
Flag
Loved the season premier, but I can already feel the headache coming on from trying to keep all these time travel paradox revelations straight.

Putting Garza and Kiera together in the opener was brilliant and has a lot of potential for future (that word again!) episodes since we always knew the moral ambiguity in Kiera's position re the corporate state would have to be reconciled sometime. Now, throw Lexa Doig (Sonya) into the mix and you have a trio of badass ladies that make Charlies Angels look like The Bangles.

Seems to me, now, that everything started going off the rails when future Alex, the love sick idiot, told Kellog about Escher, prompting the assassination. But that wouldn't explain the dead Kiera. Or would it? I need more Aspirin.

Future Alex needs to keep his mouth shut . ("Trust me, you already did.") What happened to the "a nudge here, a tweak there" strategy?

As for the two Alex's, two possibilities spring to mind. Future Alex will die in some noble and convenient way, or he and Emily will abscond to Thailand and live out their lives in "here and now" (then?) anonymity.

Up until now, I've found most of the future flash fowards rather dull, but this new Orwellian angle (and Kiera's experience with it) has a lot of potential. But it does beg the question -- will the flash forwards start changing to reveal all the different possible futures as the time travel gang make changes in the "now"? Sure, we got a bit of Kiera's origin story, but was that in the red or green time line ... or the purple or chartreuse?

Aspirin won't cut it. I need a drink ...
More+
Flag
And if the future changes, does Kiera 2.0's memories of the future change along with it? Better make that a double.
Flag
I'd say it is unlikely that would happen. Remember Maddie... Kellog's grandmother and her death. If it is true and she is 100% Kellog's grandmother... Kellog's memory than would have changed. Kellog likely would have had a very different life, his actions with Liber8, Kiera, Alec would likely change too. But I emphasize unlikely... because the show seems to try to say 2 things... Time can be changed & Time can't be changed. Because so much information was lost... Maddie might not have been his actual grandmother.
Flag
It occurs to me that my Thailand scenario would also explain why way future Alex is so bitter and cynical -- his girl ran off with another man. History. It's always about a woman.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Excellent review/recap. Lots of pictures, but also with lots of comments and personal input. It recaps the main events and gives an insight about them. I like it. Keep them coming, please.

&&“The future is catching up with you” to Alec. WHAT? That sentence makes no sense, even for a timetravel show. Or can you explain it to me?&&
Nice catch. Yeah, of course literally it doesn't make sense, but I think it's a metaphor. Don't forget Alec II came from the future, and the sentence emphasizes the fact that now both Kiera and Alec are time-travelers from the future.

The "future" Kiera refers to is that timeline's future, but of course, his actions are in his past, and the past may as well catch on to someone. I mean, the consequences of a person's actions. And the consequences of Alec's actions in the future are catching on to him.

The expression Kiera uses, "catch on", interestingly enough uses the word "catch," perhaps meaning that she is literally going to catch him. Yep, his irresponsible actions, represented by Kiera herself, now with the Freelancers' blessing, have come knocking at his door, so to speak, and it's time for Alec to pay.

Or I could be completely wrong...

&&
I don't know. Unlike Alec, I do not come from the future. Duh! (Har, har.)

&&
Meant to be. She believes in the establishment for some reason. Why, is a good question.

&&
Magic TV money? this happens a lot on TV. Money is only a problem when the show is ABOUT money problems, as in Shameless.

&&
Sometimes writers try to hard to make clever puns. I was thinking, the Revolutionary War fighters? Is Kiera, working for the Freelancers, a temporal minuteperson? Nah! Why this episode specifically? Not a good pun.

&&
Where did you pull that from?

More+
Flag
Is it normal that instead of quotes I just see "&&" ? Doesn't matter which browser I use.
Flag
I think that my depend on the browser you use and keyboard configuration. I often have a few different results using Chrome or Firefox. There are also differences in the browser on my tablet. And keyboard configured for Portuguese... Messy.
Flag
Yes indeed, because the future is the past for Alex 2.0, there fore the past (i.e. Alex 1.0's future) is catching up with him. This is becoming a migraine ...
Flag
1. I saw the episode was called Minute Man and I was like "Watt?"

2. When this season hits the US and MaryAnn Sleasman reviews the premiere, it'll be fun to say "OMG Kiera dies!". Well I'd find it fun, but I'm immature.

3. In the first episode, the head of the Freelancers says "not where - when". Don't the writers know that's the worst time travel cliche? Family Guy even made a joke about that!
Flag
Flag
I believe the title may mean "minute" (adj. , as in tiny) rather than "minute" (noun, as in timely) man a reference to Alex's physical stature.

Flag
Well, that is the first idea that is at least halfway plausible.

But it is strange that last seasons episodes all had the timereference "Second(s)" in it and this season they seem to go with "Minute". For whatever reason.
Flag
There's a theory hidden within my first point above.
Flag
Oh, ok. Yeah I found the band when I googled "Minute Man" but I didn't look into it deeper than that. I certainly didn't check any names - but thanks for the info.
Flag
For some reason I can't reply to that directly. Anyway, it's something you either get or you don't, not something you'll figure out. I was making a reference to the punk band Minutemen, whose lead singer was Mike Watt.
Flag
That is to cryptic for me. If it's some sort of wordplay, maybe I just don't get it.

Can you elaborate?
Flag
Flag
Spoiler Alert! I love that the Mayor blows his brains out in the end because he realizes he fucked up and Liber8 got the best of him! I love when arrogant twits like him fall!
Flag
We should start a poll on which Alec Kiera should choose to keep: Timetraveling-Backstabby Alec or Not-Yet-Timetraveling-and-Backstabby Alec.
Flag
I'll put my money on Alex 3.0.
Flag
Any relation to Jake 2.0? ;)
Flag
Help!

In the pilot episode, we saw how the timelines branched (on a holographic tree). Then Kiera travelled back 1 week, presumably to a point before Alec2 managed to branch the timeline.

Now how much time does Kiera have to ensure the timeline does in fact not branch? A week? More? How long before the damage Alec2 does becomes 'permanent' (if there is such a thing in a time-travel adventure).

Why is it not obvious that whatever the Alec2 does will hurt the 'true' timeline even more (i.e. cause the branching). So why does Kiera simply not kill Alec2?
oooh, so many questions.

Are there now 2 complete time-orbs? The one Liber8 brought back (that Kiera took from Lucas' truck) and the one Alec2 brought back from a week in the future?

PS: Did I misinterpret that Garza also came back? I thought she jumped into the river in the now obsolete timeline.

Flag
The timeline has already branched. It branches infinite times per second, but we only follow a couple branches and hopefully we follow the one that leads to a happy ending.
Flag
Red Garza help Red Kiera's escape and gets killed in the process, so when Red Kiera switches branches she helps Green Garza escape to pay back the debt she owed Red Garza. So only one Garza (probably, unless Red Garza isn't really dead and is Green Kiera's killer)
Flag
tnx, I forgot that.
Flag
I don't think there are any true timelines, there are only ones that are more or less similar to the original one. As long as you don't do something drastic in the past, your old timeline will still exist. It also seems like you are unable to get back to your former timeline and are stuck in the new one.
Flag
Kiera did not only travel back in time, but she jumped into the new branch. As far as I understand it, there is no way for her to prevent the new branch in the tree from appearing, because it was created by Alec's timetravel backwards. Her mission is, to make this (the green) branch like the old (red) one by picking the right Alec that will create the intended (red) future.

Yes, there are 2 complete time-orbs.
Flag
She was killed in the obsolete timeline. She was freed by Kiera in this timeline.
Flag
I thought future alec knew about his father... The family business... Escther showed him a photograph of him with Alec's mother. Kellog always seems like he doesn't fit in with liberate... Alec was the one that told him to deal with escher, yes I'm sure he wasn't meaning kill him but he was preoccupied at the time.

Kiera and her "morals" can go stuff it!! I didn't like her from the start and I like her less and less as time goes by. It's a 1 step forward 2 steps back every time.

future Alec will replace the current Alec.
Flag
You are right, future Alec does know that Escher was his father. That begs the question of why future Alec did not react in a more profound way when he got the news.
Flag
Alec used Escher just like he did Kiera so I'm not really sure he wanted to join the dark side with him. Alec probably didn't think that Kelogg would kill Escher and just wanted to get him out of the lab.
Flag
I agree, I think the result of Escher being dead, falls into the category of unintended consequences. Also Alec usually was not a violent person going around and killing people.
Flag
Maybe Kiera can bum some money off Kellog to pay for the apartment. No, yeah, that whole money-issue has been bothering me somewhat since day one. Where does she stay the nights?
Flag
Maybe Alec has been hacking into banks for her?
Flag
Well in the first episode her CPU suit allowed her to take money from an ATM so perhaps she can use the same technology to create an account and generate a paycheck etc or she has just been raiding ATMs regularly off screen at the end of her day, who knows, she could even make some Kellog style investments if she wants or have a good day at the horse races if her suit or CMR keeps those kind of records. In any case being from a future with future tech in your head and wearing a future CPU uniform is gonna leave you plenty of opportunities for obtaining money no matter how mundane.
Flag
Just noticed when the show is supposed to be returning

Returning April 4th, 20144

Damn that's a long wait
Flag
Its not really clear when the future flashback to Kiera's mom's apartment was but I remember from the last season that Theseus and Liber8 killed some of her relatives. Its possible that has already happened and she wants to fight against Liber8 which she sees as terrorists.

Anyway, that was a weird scene and it looked like Kiera was just trying to save herself and got lucky that the guy included covering for her mom and sister in the deal.
Flag
Kiera had a lot of knowledge about the law and it's details. I'm guessing that she truly wanted to be a part of this but haven't told her mother because she knew her point of view.
Flag
I think it was her mother who because she was in debt was implanted with a chip and forced to work in a factory that Theseus unplugged and killed her. That might during the same war young Kiera is so eager to join.
Flag
You might be right about the relatives. I might check that if I find the time.

In the scene from 2067, in the end, she does deny it when her mom asks her if she just did it to help her. If she wasn't lying, she must have had a different reason.
Flag
I found it a brave move on the part of the creators of the series to come out and make clear that Kiera is/was/will be a "fascist" or at least a true believer in the system she works for.
I wonder if she will ever have to make a choice between family or state and what it will be.
Flag
True. It's not the 'easy' way to go. But probably the most honest, because so far we have seen no indication that Kiera was anything but commited to their system. This approach also allows the most change in the character.
But she is a human being with a proper moral compass and a set a values. After all she did set Garza free even though she didn't really have to. She usually tries to do the right thing.
Flag
Remember that people in this world have been getting this system's propaganda from a young age. Their moral compasses are on the wrong direction, the information that they have been fed haven't been the right one.
Flag
But in the present time, she has been acting like a fairly 'good' person and usually did the 'right' thing.
Maybe some of her mothers values did stick after all.
Flag
Garza is probably the only other person besides the future Nazi that knows what's going on....

The look on Kiera's mothers face... I need a drink I raised a ^$$@%$#$!
Flag
Notreadingnotreadingnotreading

I have a whole season to catch up on, Xub! BUt I scrolled and this looks beautiful!

Flag
:D - thanks again for the help.

Well and you can always come back and read it when you caught up.
Flag
Flag
season two is when it starts to get "real" sci-fi. By now it's headache inducingly f**ked up.
Flag
SUH- WEET! Can't wait! Gotta catch up on Warehouse 13 first. Damn I love that show.
Flag
Almost with you on that comment. Almost. I elect to give it a little time to become coherent again. (get it: a little time, hehe)
Flag
BTW, this is not necessarily how this tradition started. Remember that this Kiera comes from a different timeline where this didn't happen this way. Although he time traveling Kiera from that universe may have bought it too, I'm guessing not. I believe that her money comes from be related to the freelancers.
Flag
Yeah, that was more of a guess on my part. I think we will learn what goes on with the appartment at some point in the shows future. Otherwise they wouldn't have made such a big deal about it.
Flag
2077 electronic sports almanac bought it for Kiera.
Flag
This sideways time traveling creates some interesting possibilities. Including the existence of third Kiera somewhere, somewhen. It have been clearly stated that when you time travel you don't go into your past, you create a new branch in the time tree whenever you ended up. It have been implied heavily that future red-Alec(or is it blue) already knew Kiera and sent her backwards in time to the current chain of events. Now we have a basic (lets call it prime) timeline. In this timeline there is no original time traveling. Somehow in this future Kiera ends up traveling backwards in time creating another timeline. Let's call it blue. In this blue timeline Kiera meets Alec befriends him and in the future old blue-alec meets her and recognize her as the woman that he met when he was younger. Now, in this universe Alec engineers the whole timetraveling fiasco sending Kiera and Liber8 back in time with Kiera having a message for the younger Alec. This creates the Red-timeline which we saw in the previous season. We all saw how the Yellow timeline ended up being created. We may have at least another Kiera time traveling (or she may be dead) around. We would need those other 2 timelines to exist because otherwise this sideways time traveling doesn't make sense. We may even have more timelines in the middle, and more before (a timeline without Echer, were there is no Alec), etc.
More+
Flag
Don't start mixing Fringe with Continuum by saying "blue" , "red", "yellow" timeline :)
Flag
Ok, now I am thoroughly confused :D

But I agree with you on one thing: This whole 'jumping the timelines' does creat interesting and seemingly endless possibilities. And it has the added bonus that you can kill off any membes of the main cast and then bring them back, just to torture the audience.
Flag
Even bring older, battle hardened versions of the characters, or alternate takes on them. Like a Kiera who was a member of an alternate Liber8, an older Kiera with a better view of the "battlefield" and a different disposition. Even Kiera's kid or husband. A Kiera, Alex, Johnathan or Escher that have been jumping dying branches. We have also not met any of the freelancer enemies. The possibilities are endless.
Flag
Alec, damn auto correct
Flag
you buddy should definately watch movie "primer" :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/
now what you explained here is pretty simple black on white, but the movie... just watch it, if you haven't yet.

ok, about timelines now. i like where this is going, that the creators didn't stick to one story (or probably the only story they had in mind when they started writing scripts) and invented the whole new thing. this multiple timeline phenomena, creates so many possibilities for the future, that it might quickly become so tricky and complicated, that viewers have no idea what they are watching. i'd say: bring it on!!!

like for example, sometime in the futuree, another future kiera comes back, let's say to save alec, because he has been killed, and because of that she cannot get back to her kids. she saves alec, but kills another self to be able to get home. or even sacrifices herself, this way maybe fixing too many branches of timelines by letting her other older self to get back home.

ok, that's probably too much . loving season 3 so far. bye now!
Flag
A simple graphic to explain primer ;-)

Flag
i got it figured out after seeing the movie, that's the point (had to do some digging into wiki). it's considered one of the movies you need to see at least few times to understand it. thank you:)
Flag
Flag
Flag
This timeline's Kellog is unlikable as possible.
Flag
i think the first episode was great the second well i donno how this season is going to go? but sadler of the future must die i think. he is already corrupt. but this season has opened many possibilities in the series
Flag
Follow this Show
Members