A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Continuum S02E13: "Second Time"

OH MY GLOB, CONTINUUM, YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE IT LIKE THAT! 

Except Continuum can, and Continuum did, and IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. 

TV shows tend to operate under their own logic and their own rules, because sometimes certain things have to happen a certain way in order for the writers to tell the story they want to tell. Sometimes that's painfully obvious—like when a character acts in a way that's ridiculously outside of his or her established norm in order to get the story from point A to point B. Sometimes real-world logic is completely thrown out the window, or established continuity from a series' history is completely ignored for the sake of this one story. I think every show is guilty of fudging things to some extent—even Continuum—but one of the things that separates well-written shows from their poorly written siblings is the ability to move between plot points with a minimal amount of brain pain. 

Ultimately, several characters made several stupid decisions to get Continuum to where we ended up in the finale... and that's okay. Even though many of the big decisions that Kiera, Kellog, Alec, and others made along the way (and certainly many of the small ones, too) were obviously poor life choices, at no point during "Second Time" did I catch myself thinking, "Wait a minute, Alec would never do that," because Continuum's writers have done a stellar job at crafting characters that are detailed, conflicted, and human enough to do just that-- whatever "that" is at a given time. 

Alec betrayed Kiera this week, claiming that her selfishness regarding the time machine, and her tunnel-vision when it comes to getting back to 2077, all led to Emily/Maya getting killed.

He's right.

Kiera countered with the argument that Escher's manipulation ultimately put Emily in the line of fire. 

She's right. 

And to be fair to all parties involved, Emily was the dumbass who decided to stand up from behind her cover, knowing full well that there were probably guns pointed at her, in order to make her big, grand gesture with the tossing of the time-travel device. If there's one moment from the lead-up to Continuum's finale that could probably be filed under "Painfully Obvious Plot Point," it was Emily's actions on the rooftop—but even then, we could chalk it up to the fact that she was a lovestruck teenager with a lot of emotional baggage who probably wasn't thinking too clearly while running from the bad guys right then. Stress is a killer, man. 

"Second Time" also gave us a huge info-dump that thankfully didn't feel like one. Jason and Alec are totes related, but not the way Alec (and I) assumed. Kiera's hubby was a SadTech employee. Old Alec knew about the freelancers all along, and Escher was a freelancer but currently is isn't one. Aside from the body count, Liber8 has pretty much always been the "good" side—in theory, at least. And Escher got to do his best Darth Vader, and Alec actually took the news of his daddy's identity better than expected—and certainly better than Skywalker did. Whew. Okay, now that the Continuum landscape has been fundamentally changed forever, where does that leave us during the long, cold months until Season 3?

I have no freaking idea. Look, I watch a lot of TV; I can usually manage at least some kind of educated guess as to where a storyline is headed and land somewhere near the realm of correctness. "Second Time" left us with Kiera, Kellog, Liber8, and Jason in some kind of plastic freelancer prison—though, honestly, the set-up reminded me much more of a museum exhibit than a jailhouse, thanks to the way the freelancers' captives were being kept in what basically resembled display cases. 

Things got weird because "Second Time" featured a scene in which Kiera tried to escape and was caught, drugged, and dragged back to her cage; it was a scene that we'd already witnessed in an earlier episode. At the time, Kiera dismissed it as a dream, but said it felt more like a memory. if it was a memory, then this already happened—but what does it mean? Maybe this wasn't 2077 Alec's first attempt to change the past? After all, this week, 2077 Alec definitely seemed to know a LOT more about what was going to happen when he sent Kiera and Liber8 back to 2012 than he seemed to in previous flashbacks. 

The seeds of the future that Old Alec was (possibly?) trying to prevent have also begun to sprout—Kiera's very own City Protective Services were created as an initiative of Piron, apparently with Dillon in the lead role. The freelancers revealed themselves to be some sort of timeline police who stop anyone from tampering with the timeline, so Alec's sucky future is supposed to be set in stone. What this means with regard to him going back to save Emily, I'm not entirely sure. 

And finally, one of the most satisfying (for me, anyway) turning points of Continuum's finale: Carlos joining Liber8! With Betty! Looks like he's our only hope. I'm excited to see how the show handles this development when we return; Carlos is in an interesting—and potentially crazy-important—position where he's aware of time travel and the high stakes that everyone's fighting over, but he's never left his timeline. That should make him untouchable by the freelancers, right? Maybe? He's now essentially Kiera's man on the outside, except he has no idea where Kiera's gone. 

SO EXCITED. What are your theories? 

Thanks for reading (and for playing along even though these episodes aired awhile ago for many readers)! It's been fun! Mwah!

NOTES

– I couldn't help but giggle at the fact that the protector suit was clearly designed to showcase female anatomy. Kiera looks like a total babe when she's rocking the outfit of the future. The guys always look like they're wearing Halloween costumes, even in flashbacks. 

– So Alec is Jason's dad. Who's his mom? Do you think Alec succeeds in saving Emily?

– What do you want to see in Continuum's third season?

– How do you plan to survive the hiatus? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/16/2015

Season 4 : Episode 6

182 Comments
Comments (182)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Everyone seems to be assuming that Alec went back to save Emily. What if "her" is Kiera?
Flag
So are the Freelancers just protecting the corporations in the future that have all the power?
Flag
Here are my comments...

It has yet to be determined which version of time travel the show is built around, and they've said that much in dialogue between Alec and others at different points across the first and second season.

A lot of the discussion on this thread seems to span from the "Back to the Future" view of timetravel - that it's all one timeline, and making changes in the past will affect the world around them in the future.

But we've seen with the killing of Kellogg's grandmother that this view of timetravel doesn't pan out - as he didn't de-materialize or instantly die as soon as that happened.

So it would the stand to reason that the time travel element of the show follows a logic where the moment that time travel happens, that thread of reality that spans forward from the point of travel is then cut "forever", and a new thread takes it's place. Certainly, elements will continue forward as normal, and seem to be the same or pre-destined.... But other elements could violently change, forever altering the landscape of the future exhistances. IE... there will only ever be 1 Kellogg now in the future.. the one that currently exists, UNLESS someone travels back and saves his grandmother.

So, using this concept that altering time does nothing more then delete the current timeline and create a new altered reality of time... then it's very possible the people in the freelancer prison are stuck there "forever"... as they no longer fit into the current timeline. The next version of Kiera we meet will be an entirely different version of herself then the one stuck in the prison. It's quite possible that her vision was a type of deja vu allowing her to see what happened in a separate timeline/reality.

Anyway, food for thought. Unless alec does something to save them, or Liber8 does something to free them, I believe the people in the display cases will be there until they die or can be recruited into the freelancer time police force ;).
More+
Flag
Well said!! Especially with Kelloggs character and the overall possible Time paradox overall this is a good series so far
Flag
They left that door open. Alec told Kiera that maybe that wasn't Kellog's grandmother. we can't be sure.
Kiera once said of Kelogg, if his mouth is moving you can be sure he is lying.
Flag
I wondered why the Freelancers didn't just show up right when Liber8 and Keira showed up, and snatch them up. The answer may be in the last spoken lines of this episode: The damage has passed. Meaning, they needed to allow the influence of Liber8 to be injected into the timeline, but only until the point of "the damage" working its full course. They didn't want to PREVENT the timeline from being affected, they wanted to LIMIT it.

Flag

The freelancer shot at Alec right when he was vanishing. Alec will appear, the bullet will fly past him and shoot Emily. Time travel's a *itch.
Flag
I hope so. I really didn't like Emily.
Flag
(slightly off topic) From ep 12, what was Jason trying to get to on the roof? The way he fiddled with the lock, I expected him to whip out that giant gun Agent Colson used in The Avengers, or stop time like Professor X (yeah I'm a Marvel fan).
Flag
One thing that no one is mentioning here is the episode in Season 1 when Kiera meets her grandmother who is pregnant with her mother. Did anyone notice Alec's reaction when he saw Kiera's grandmother? He definitely knew her, and I think he may have impregnated her, making him Kiera's grandfather. Could this be true?
Flag
Hm...considering the father went with Kiera's grandmother on a boat, I'd say no.
Flag
I've read quite a few of the comments below (though not all of them, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned . . .). Does nobody want to question the fact that it appears in the "real" timeline, Alec didn't exist?

Let's assume he really is Escher's son (which I'm not entirely convinced of yet). We know that Escher is a time traveler from the future, but it appears Alec was born in the past after Escher decided he wanted out of the "freelancer" game. If these freelancers really are working to maintain the timeline, and Escher really is Alec's father, then that really leaves only two possibilities; If the timeline can be altered, then Alec has to be seen as a problem by the freelancers because he's not supposed to be there, and they need to eliminate him, since we already know he has such a huge impact on the future OR if that's not the case, then it essentially proves the timeline can't be altered. In other words, if the freelancers come from a time that already had Alec all but running the world, and Alec was born from one of the freelancers, then the only way to avoid paradox is if the timeline is all perfectly linear and unalterable; the freelancers would HAVE to go back in time, and Escher would HAVE to have Alec, in order to set the events in motion that lead to the freelancers going back in time.

And here are some of my thoughts on some of the speculation I've already read, a decent amount of which seems either far-fetched or downright ridiculous.

First, regarding freelancers . . . if you're trying to figure out what/who they are, don't go by the name. The one who called them freelancers was Jason, who's all cuckoo for crazy puffs, so you can't put much stock in what he knows. And the people that do know more keep saying things like "The 'freelancers,' as you call them . . ." I do believe that they are trying to protect the timeline, though to what end we don't know. In all likelihood, some person or group has control of the world and doesn't want to give it up, so when time travel is discovered, they employ the freelancers to maintain the status quo. But it could as easily be that somewhere in the future, mankind has developed completely beyond war, poverty, disease, etc. and every single person is living fat and happy, so when time travel is discovered and begins to get abused, they decide to protect their perfect world by any means necessary.

But lets not forget, we still don't even know if it's possible to alter the future. With regards to the freelancers claiming they're protecting the timeline, they may not even be sure it can be changed, but they're not willing to take the chance, just like how Kiera isn't willing to take the chance that Liber8 can't alter the timeline. So far, all the events that have unfolded due to Keira and Liber8's arrival seem to be pushing events closer to the future Kiera left behind; We have the beginnings of the CPS shown as an initiative from Escher's company, we have Julian being pushed into a more active and militant stance first after hearing Liber8's message, which leads to his father's untimely death, and in turn pushes him into the confrontation with Kiera. There was even the bombing in the season 1 finale which was infamous from Kiera's timeline, and now we see it being caused by Liber8.

Then again, it could be that many of these events have unfolded multiple times because, as somebody else pointed out, this wasn't the first time old-man Alec tried to change the past, but simply the latest attempt. And maybe he's managed to cause some changes (like the bombing) but not enough for the better, or perhaps has even made things worse.

Personally, I don't think we'll get any definite answers anytime soon on whether or not altering the timeline is possible. Initially I thought otherwise with Alec time traveling at the end of season 2, but now I think either he'll fail to save his girlfriend, or he'll save her but in such a way that she appears to be dead when shot (like maybe she's wearing a bulletproof vest, Doc Brown style).

I've read a number of comments from people who have brought up the point that in the season 2 premiere, we see Kiera trying to escape and failing in what we now know is a freelancer prison of some sort, and people wondered why she then woke up remembering the prison and dismissed it as a bad dream. I think you need to go back and watch that premiere again; she doesn't actually remember the cage. In fact, the two scenes (her escape attempt, then her waking up in the future with a headache) we know now have nothing to do with each other. Part way through season 2, we see old-man Alec in his sky-mansion-thing press a button after reading her profile, and then immediately she wakes up with a severe headache. Her hubby looks at the window at Alec's sky-mansion, seeming to know it was Alec's doing. Later still, we discover that Kiera found evidence of the time travel device that CPS was trying to cover up, which leads to the same scene of Alec pushing the button and Kiera waking up with a headache, which we now know was due (at least in part) to Alec erasing that memory of her's, since she suddenly didn't recognize the time travel device the next morning.

About Kiera being imprisoned . . . Jason clearly yells that he "doesn't want to go back there" or whatever, so it seems fairly clear that he was imprisoned himself before by the freelancers. If he got out once, he can do it again, which may be how Kiera or even Liber8 escape. As to why the freelancers don't just kill them, maybe they need to use the other time travelers to fix the timeline. Perhaps they plan to wipe Kiera's memory back to the point of her first time traveling (wouldn't be the first time they wiped her memories), and then drop her off back in her own time, so that they have even less of a risk to their own time which seems likely to be even farther in the future from Kiera's.

Some people seemed oddly surprised to see Chen alive at the end of the episode. First of all, in the flashbacks where he and Travis are talking in prison, they show his hand and you can clearly see he has the markings of a freelancer already. In fact, their whole conversation seems to indicate that both he and Travis are freelancers, and that perhaps the freelancers have a way of 'cheating death' through technology. After all, at first Chen thought their mission was over but after Travis paid him a visit he did a total 180. So after he died in season one, perhaps he was rescuscitated. Or maybe the Chen we saw in the finale was simply a younger Chen, before joining Liber8 (which itself could have been out of disillusionment with the freelancers, like Escher, or perhaps as a double agent still working for the freelancers).

Is the writing on the show perfect? Not by any stretch. But, all things considered, I think the writers are doing a decent job of teasing out just enough information to keep us interested and guessing, without actually answering questions, thereby leaving doors wide open for whichever way they want to go in the future episodes.
More+
Flag
The next show has to follow up with Alec and Kiera, Carlos and Betty, and Theseus. Nowhere has ANYONE DOUBLED as the same person occupying the same space our meeting their past selves.
Flag
Wow. really well thought out analysis.
Flag
In the episode before the finale, when Alec was trying to get some sense from Jason (when he thought Jason was his dad), Jason mentioned in his mumblings something about being in a cage ;)
Flag
the show is definitely phenomenal and one of the best sci-fi shows I've ever encountered... the comments here are proof of it which makes it even more awesome! Respect to Simon Barry and his cast and crew!
My thoughts, Alec's dad smiling when Alec threw the arc into the reactor, it seems like he was expecting it to happen, or wanted it to happen most likely. We all knew deep down that Kiera would be stuck in 2012 somehow, else if she went back to 2077 the plot would end abruptly....having her thrown into a plastic cell is a surprising twist... which gives the writers many possibilities for season 3... in a way it reminds me of Alias season 3 I believe, when Sydney Bristow gets kidnapped at the end of the season...
the freelancers, we still dont know how they fit in the overall plot, they are simply adding more to the core conflict but they are not siding with liberate nor Kiera, however, it seems they are operating under strict orders from a higher power that still remains a mystery... I have a strong feeling that Alec's dad knows who controls and orders the freelancers... he may just have something to do with it...
what we know, Old Alec sent the Liber8 terrorists back in time to re-write history. He sent Kiera back in time with them to help balance the act of good vs evil... the conflict between the 2 creates an amazing plot which is leaving all of us salivating for whats going to happen next... sending Kiera with Liber8 back in time levels the playing field...
More+
Flag
I think what happens is obvious. Alec used the time device to jump backwards to save his girlfriend - that will change the outcome for everyone. If he fails, we saw what happens to all involved.
Flag
I noticed the same thing about the protector suits. It was pretty funny. Unfortunately for me, I'm watching these shows on Netflix. So it's going to be almost a year before I see season 3.
Flag
SciFi Channel will be airing it.
Flag
Loved everyone's comments and thoughts. Lots of clues for upcoming eps: Alec's dad stated that time travel was the family business, plus he had what I can only describe as a happy smile when Alec dropped the device into the "reactor". Also the freelancers stated they weren't going to follow up with Sadler as they were walking past everyone in plastic cages. I wondered why but I like on the comments about Freelancers being paid by someone to manage the timelines. Travis was there on life support as was the guy from S1E1 with tats on his face; Sonia, Garza, Kellogg, Kiera, Jason are all the folks I remember seeing in the last ep. Chen's episode from the past showed him in front of some time of Buddhist Circle and made reference to it already being there before he got there. I like that the main characters are never really gone. Did anyone notice the Freelancers touch each other after they were in the shootout at Jason's house? It looks they're down but they get up again after touching each other - like an energy transfer or something. I'll have to watch again to see if it's consistent. I can't wait for the season 3 ride. I may have to break down an subscribe to cable rather than wait for the season to stream. Or move to Canada. :-)
More+
Flag
All the comments are awesome and thought provoking. My two comments are less awesome but still my two cents:
a/Does anyone else think it's cool that his name is Escher, like the artist whose work is usually complex and showing mathematical infinite loops (wiki M.C. Escher if you are not familiar)
b/I know this is lame, but I just keep think that Keira's husband was a jerk and that Carlos Fonnegra is meant to hook up with her and be her true love. Also, I just really want to see them make out. Is that horrible? He is mind blowingly hot.
Flag
Typical TV romantic tension. The audience is all rooting for Carlos.
Flag
Is it just me, you guys or is Carlos looking a little haggard this season? I mean...still hot, but...not as...
Flag
this should end with season 3
Flag
Here is my take on season 3 speculation.

FREELANCERS. The freelancers are time travelers who seem to be trying to protect the current time continuum. There is a lot of confusion about these guys and their actions. So here is my explanation. First, look at the name. A freelancer is a independent contractor who does jobs for a fee. Based on their actions they don't seem to be time "cops" because they have murdered a number of people. Instead I think they are time contractors trying to preserve a time line for someone or some organization. So keeping Kiera and the Liber8 time travelers alive must be a requirement to repair the continuum. Obviously the holding cells in the last episode are impractical for long term incarceration. So the plan must be to return them to their own time or to a time in the future. Of course, if you think about it, having a bunch of time "contractors" running "fixing" stuff does not seem like a very good idea. lol.
So to resolve the Season 2 cliffhanger, someone (e.g., Alec) goes back to the past and somehow prevents or anticipates the events that occur in the final episodes. Thus everyone is rescued. This seems the most likely outcome to me, it is a time travel show after all! So here are the scenarios for Season 3 I can think of.
(1) CONTINUE FROM SEASON 2. Alec goes back in time. He saves his girlfriend (makes her wear a vest or something). He follows the freelancers and rescues everyone. The Liber8 folks go back to being revolutionaries. Kiera and gang kiss and make up with the police. The story continues with its basic arc except maybe now Kiera and Carlos are more friendly with Julian. Not sure I would like this. The actions in the finale seemed pretty irreversible: Carlos and Betty leaving the police; Kiera wanted for murder. Hard to sweep under the rug.
(2) ALEC CHANGES CONTINUUM. TIMELINE RESET. When Alec goes back in time, he is actually able to influence events so that the outcome of Season 2 never happens. Kiera is exonerated of the murder. Carlos and Betty never leave the force. A different time line plays out over a couple of episodes. Only Alec knows how events were changed thus changing his outlook on life. Maybe Travis dies thus morphing Liber8 into a more political and less violent group? Maybe Julian takes over Liber8? So the show retains its basic format with a slightly different focus somehow. My only problem with this is Kiera is the main character and she would not be involved with this story line.
(3) KIERA CHANGES CONTINUUM. TIMELINE RESET. The whole last season alluded to the fact that Kiera was special. She was sent back in time for a reason. So next season we find out what that is. Old Alec kept secretly updating her "software". Maybe those upgrades allow her consciousness to time travel and that is how she "dreamed" about her future. So she jumps back in time and rights some wrongs (prevents Gardiner's murder and kicks some freelancer butt) and changes the time line. Old Alec picked her to help young him reshape the future for a reason. Something along these lines could be fun. :) Heck, maybe Kiera is Escher's mom and Alec's grandmother? lol. Anyway, it will be fun to find out what the writers come up with.
More+
Flag
Mike, some good possibilities. but I don't buy into any of them.
First the show has not revealed that anyone can go forward in time. I think they need to keep that under wraps because it adds so much to the mystery of the show.
Second, the show has not revealed that the timeline can be changed. Even the grandmother experiment was inconclusive. And I don't trust anything the freelancers say.
So I think somehow the season 2 cliff hanger will have to be play out without anyone going forward and without any changes to the timeline.
but i can't figure out how they can do both with Alec having just went into the near-past where he already exists.
Flag
The finale is great, despite some confusions. i re-watched it to figure out what's really happening. Escher being Alec's dad isn't a surprise to me; I've been expecting something like that. But Jason as Alec's son is a damn good twist. I knew they were related, but not that relation!! As someone said, every character changes in the finale. That's why the ending is so unexpected. Now we don't know how and in which direction the show will start in season 3. We still don't know who the hell are those freelancers. Are they good or bad? Where - I should say WHEN - Kiera and the Liber8 people are imprisoned? What's this weird prison? The Asian Liber8 guy (Chen?) seems to be resuscitated. Is he a Freelancer now? Is Travis dead or is he also resuscitated by the freelancers?

We know Kiera's husband is somehow involved. His role isn't clear yet. The most confusing is the time traveling back and forth with uncertain time periods. We just don't have time to think about the paradox. Just an example: the scene in s2e1 with Kiera being put in a cage in that prison, the same scene we have in the last minute of the finale. The first scene is supposed to be a dream, or a fragment of Kiera's memory. But how come she had this memory when the event did not occur yet? There's probably an explanation.

Two big surprises for me. Alec betrayed Kiera and traveled back to the past to save Emily. It's a real stupid decision from a smart kid like Alex. But that creates a new event. Carlos and Betty joined Julian, and not Liber8 as Mary Ann's blog mentioned. We can assume they will join Liber8 later, maybe in season 3.
The season ends with many questions, new questions and questions from seasons 1 and 2, and just a few answers. Is it a teasing for season 3?
More+
Flag
Yeah, the dream sequence, and Chen adds some new wrinkles. I can't figure out how they are going to resolve them. Like someone said above, could this be a "previous" Chen? But the dream totally throws me.
I think Alec must have something else in mind besides saving Emily. oh how he saves Emily. The whole luring Kiera to the 26th floor was a plot within a plot. maybe it was a plot within a plot within a plot.
Flag
couldnt agree more with the article, and love the series.... to save it from being ridiculous, tho, it shouldnt go further than season 4 i guess...
Flag
I agree about the stupid writing choices that are made to move things along. It is exactly this practice that makes me start disliking some of my favorite shows; and why I stop watching some that I just like.

But come on Contiuum..... why is Kiera, Alec and Kellogg soooooo careless about the sensitivity and safety of the 'device' ? This one thing episode after episode makes me come close to leaving this show ( i love it, but it bothers me so much); why would you ever leave the lab and leave the device sitting there when there are so many randoms that know where the lab is and probably have access (and it isn't like Alec isn't easily traceable every time he goes there to work - all these people can break into that lab - I mean you all can time travel, disappear, make bombs, survive bullets... but no one can just follow Alec and take the 'Device' !!?)

Also, if the 'device' is so traceable when in one piece, why was it not until the last episode that the freelancers could track it? Was the lab somehow technologically advanced beyond the freeelancers that have special tech that even Kiera hasn't seen.

Some things kind of ruin the show - but i'm still curious how they will move forward. I just hope it doesn't get really crazy and then have to find its way back to coherence before wrapping up like Fringe (which was my favorite Sci-fi show).

More+
Flag
Yeah. lets hope the 3rd season doesn't do a "Lost".
Flag
I love this show
Flag
Also, Alec was a total dick with that WINK to K making her think he was on her side.
Flag
He learned that from Sonny.
Flag
hopefully for next season Syfy puts out the eps at the same time as Canadia :)

Flag
also, that asian dude is a freelancer now? wasn't he liber8 & the imaginary friend of crazy lucas?

Flag
no the asian dude (Chen) died is S2E1. the old asian dude (kyogi?) is lucas's imaginary friend. I think its been revealed (via tattoo) that both Chen and Travis are freelancers. but the tattoo thing is from Escher. and i don't believe anything he says anymore.
Flag
was he one of the bodies that the freelancers stole? i forget
Flag
Yeah I don't know. I thought he died a long time ago, so that was very confusing seeing him again.
Flag
Oh and maybe it is a younger version of the same guy. Time travel can be weird.
Flag
finally got to watch this yesterday. so great!

i like this: Maybe this wasn't 2077 Alec's first attempt to change the past?
Flag
And You'd think old Alec would have given young alec better directions. and... if there is just one timeline, wouldn't old Alec remember everything that happened when he was 18 and that at that the timeline is unchangeable????
Flag
also, i really like this: Kiera looks like a total babe when she's rocking the outfit of the future.
Flag
She is the main reason i started watching this show. Thinking of renting P2 so i can see her in a wet white dress
Flag
I think this finale was stupid. Assinine even. And the bit with Kiera ... sending her home would have accomplished the same as sidelining her. As far as not contaminating the timeline any further goes ... what about all those people the Freelancers killed off willy-nilly. Remeber the Law of Unintended Consequences?
Flag
So awesome. Your 100% right no idea where this is going. Cannot wait for next season.
Flag
I was wondering if someone with a DVR could make a list of the people who were in the cells at the end of the show?
Flag
she said it in her review. just read it.
Flag
Just because she said it in the review, it doesn't make it true.

If you look at the scene where Kiera is being locked up in the plastic cell after being caught in the hall way and injected with sedatives, you will see Travis being unconscious and hooked up with some kind of life support device (and totally naked!!). I think the freelancers picked him from the elevator shaft and put him there with the rest of the so-called "time travelers". So except Kagame who was blown up in the explosion, Lucas locked up in another place after going mental, and Chen who seems to be one of the Freelancers now, all the other Liber8 members are there side by side, plus Kiera and Jason.
Flag
That's not all of them.
Flag
Just look at the picture. Even in it you can see 7 cells and she only lists 4 people. When they panned through I seem to remember that they showed 8 different people, but I cannot go back and check.
Flag
I thought that was him floating in the cell with a breathing tube hooked up.
Flag
was travis there? last i remember, he was at the bottom of the elevator shaft. dont recall seeing him at the end
Flag
Kellog,Kiera,Garza,Jason,Sonya,Travis,Stefan Jaworkski, and likely ellena.. This might help --> http://imgur.com/a/7eOIG#36
Flag
she says Second Time" left us with Kiera, Kellog, Liber8, and Jason

liber8 is more than one person...i remember seing sonya, garza & stefan, so that's six & there are 6 boxes in the pic

http://continuum.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Liber8_Members
Flag
What a crazy awesome season! This has been such a fun show to watch and I cannot wait until the next season comes out!
Flag
- I can just hope Jason's mom is not Emily !
- Alec would not save Emily, if he did(had), we would see two Alec by the time he was traveling back to see Emily.
- Third season should be focused on more time travel, and changing the past, present and the future. I'm sure Travis is alive :)
- Surviving the hiatus?... *Turns on the switch and travels 7 months into the future*
Flag
Great finale...even more questions than when the season started. ICAM in the review about Emily, it was her own stupidity that caused her demise. I may be in the minority, but kind of glad she dead for now, she was sort of a distraction. And please tell me, Alec sending Kiera back is not all because he's trying to save Emily....that would be a big let down. Travis truly has nine lives, it's like you can't kill the man. Carlos the wildcard...is he for real joining or is he pretending? I guess next season we'll find out.
Flag
I agree with you. I really do not like Emily. I was really glad she was dead. And that would be a huge let down if everyone was sent back just so he could save Emily. I don't think he did because this doesn't seem like the first time he's tried to change everything and Emily still isn't there. She never was in the first place. Plus, Alec seemed to take a special interest in Kiera. Which gets me thinking...
Flag
MaryAnn, the Season 2 opening scene was a preview of the last. When she woke up, what she dismissed as a dream was in fact 2077 Alec erasing her memories about the device.
Flag
oh wow, she is returned to 2077, put in bed, memory erased, wakes up from bad dream. and goes to work, goes to execution, and is sent back to 2013. ????
Flag
No! Her memory was erased because she found out about the device during an investigation in 2077. But the way they present the waking up at the begining of season 2, it leads you to think that she woke up because of the bad dream when in fact it was the result of 2077 erasing our memories of the device and the first scene is a flashforward of the season's ending.
Flag
Great finale, can't wait for next season. I also don't agree with allot of the Alex hate he is still very young and unsure/hurt Keira's a nice woman and wants to get back to her son/world but her cause is at best grey...or as Travis said completely wrong and she is the villain!
Flag
Alec
Flag
This is one of my favorite shows, but it's a little confusing now... I don't know how many times has been Jason travelling, mabye that's why he is creepy and crazy.

I dind't like the end of the season, Keira has being with Alec since the begining and he knew how important was for Keira to come back... I don't imagin season 3. But hey ! Mabye that's great ! Or not ??? xD
Flag
Jason said he was in a metal health facility for years. also he has mumbled something about being in a cage - maybe captured by freelancers, once before.
Flag
If Jason was accidentally sent back to 1992, how come when he see him in the future he's the same age as he is in 2012? I'm guessing either a wizard did it or the writers fucked up.
Flag
I thought he looked much healthier in 2077. might be more an issue with the make up artist than the writers.
Flag
I think they tried to make the age difference somewhat apparent with makeup, but trying to pull off 20 years with a little concealer didn't quite do the job. Or, like with Revolution and a couple other shows recently, they just didn't bother. Seems to be a trend.
Flag
There is one more way you could think of the memory. Peoples memories are flexible and always changing. Try to think of a memory of someone you still know today or even yourself from 20 years ago and chances are the person in your memory looks more like they do today than they did 20 years ago.
Flag
The only difference that is readily apparent, or makes old Jason look older, is that young Jason was clean shaven and old Jason has some gray facial hair. Facial hair by itself usually makes guys look older.

If you look at Brad Pitt in a 90s movie and today(he is almost 50), he looks almost the same. The only big differences are his gray facial hair, a few more wrinkles, and he looked skinnier when he was younger.

Someone else also brought up that maybe Jason was captured by the freelancers before and escaped and that could be the reason why he is a little nuts. If you don't age in those cages, its also possible that he hasn't aged the whole 20 years.
Flag
I guess there's only so much they can do and I can understand them not wanting to use a different actor, 'cause showing his face is a much better reveal than Alec simply calling him Jason, and a lot of people tend to miss important things when they're revealed in dialogue.
Flag
I loved the final - great ending to the fantastic second season. Continuum is currently my favorite sci-fi show (along with Haven). I can't wait to see what happens next.

I really hope someone will save Kiera from Time Prison. I'm all for bringing Magda Apanowicz back to the show (love her since Kyle XY / Caprica), but Alec should rot in hell for betraying poor Kiera.

I was also surprised that Theseus and Betty are actually good guys in this story. 2014 can't come soon enough!
Flag
No one ever really said Theseus and Betty are good guys. In fact for the most part none of the good/bad guys are very well defined. Defining who is good and who is bad is more about what your agenda is and which side you can relate to more.
Flag
Great show, ok finale for me. I agree with danwheelers point below - it did feel like the writers were throwing everything at the wall they could.

I really do like the show, but it was not getting better for me. It was already getting to the stage of unbelievable (a private police force and nobody seemed that bothered), but somehow the show worked.

I agree with MaryAnn about the stupid decision aspect, but I don't think the show gets away with it. Who was not banging there head against the wall when Emily stood up and threw the device?
Flag
Private police force? we all ready have private schools, private universities, private prisons, private hospitals, private security guards. Doesn't seem like that big a reach.

Emily was hoping that the bad guys would just go after the sphere. that they wouldn't want to kill her for no purpose. Not too far a reach.
Flag
I totally agree with you MaryAnn - the finale was awsome and I like where they left the show for the hiatus. Its especially nice that they seemed to leave Carlos in a place where he might be the one rescuing the rest of the band with the help of Liber8.
Story-wise I have a couple of ideas where it might go, at least as far as the relationships between the characters go:
- I would guess that the coming season is about Alec and Kiera beeing on "different sides" and working against each other.
- I think Liber8 and especially Alec's half-brother will be more on the good-guy-side.

Also, I still don't trust Escher and what he sais and does. I also wonder if Carlos will ever go back beeing a cop or if he becomes more of an outlaw.

Well, all in all they did an absolutly awsome job on season 2 and I hope the continue like that in the next season.

Yeah.... how to pass the time till then.. I guess there are a couple of other good shows out there, but to me, noting even close in this genre.
More+
Flag
I really hope Emily doesn't come back, because I never cared for her character for a second. The rest of the finale was mindblowing, though.
Flag
Agreed.
Flag
I guessed Jason wasn't Alec's dad way back when they first brought it up, and I'm glad I was vindicated!

Personally I've always hated 'paradox' time travel stories, the many worlds theory just makes more sense.

I can't wait for season 3
Flag
U don't think Jason being Alex's son and seems older is a paradox?
Flag
err no... a paradox is something that literally can not happen because both things need to happen for it to be done.

For example the famous grandfather paradox.

Alec being younger than his son is just time travel stuff, not universe imploding paradoxes.
Flag
I always thought a paradox is something that shouldn't happen but does.. You used the Grandfather paradox which I have seen in quite a few sci-fi shows. However the Back to the Future paradox was universe imploding...in Stargate the Grandson meeting and saving his Grandfather not so much.
Flag
This show is turning into something I never expected. It was just a "filler" show for me the first few episodes of season 1, but wow. This is up there in my favorites. The layers have just piled on slowly, and its beautiful. I've watched the pilot about four times now, and this show has come so far in only 2 seasons. It's solid television. The time travel, though the intentional gaps have been left, makes sense so far, the characters are fleshed out more every episode, and even the action scenes aren't dull. The political background is what really holds this story together, with people being manipulated by it whether they want to or not. It's that substance sci fi needs that not a lot of sci fi has these days. Here's to hoping Continuum keeps on as it is. I'm eagerly awaiting season 3.
Flag
I agree. I slowly watch the first 3 episodes on Netflix and thought it was OK, but not great. It didn't hold my attention so I stopped watching, but then months latter I came back and watched episode 4 and somehow got hooked right away. I got so stuck on it that I managed to finish season 1 and watch all of season 2 in less than a week. Heck I just watched the last 7 episodes today (didn't get much of anything else done today unfortunately).
Flag
I really enjoyed going back and watching the first episodes after watching season 2. Kiera trying to adjust to the early 21st century is interesting. Alec is much more of a kid trying to be an adult, etc. You can tell from early on the characters are quite developed (which I find pretty rare in TV), but as the shows progresses they have even more depth to them, and you'd never suspect in the pilot these characters would end up having such darker paths later in the series.
Flag
Amen.
Flag
Oh, my head is spinning. But first it was blown, which means the fragments are revolving around the black hole my mind used to be. Which is not necessarily a good thing.

How come Dillon is such a dick now? Did he get a personality transplant? And suddenly he hates Keira? And Alec says "Daddy!" and all of a sudden Escher is trustworthy? And first he disses Keira, thank winks, and promises he'll be nice, but he was being a dick the whole time because in the end he hates her?

And Carlos and Theseus are now buddies? And Carlos knew about the Liber8 mole the whole time and didn't say anything even when he was being a good, dedicated cop?

And where did Alec go exactly, how did he know the time-traveling device would take him exactly to the moment he needed? And that menagerie? WTF?

I guess I'll have to rewatch the last three episodes and rethink this through.
Flag
dillon question. Kiera has answered this. Now he wants his "power" back and will do whatever it takes. plus i think he has been seduced by Prion.

Carlos may just be acting - sort of like going undercover. or maybe he has drunk the kool aid. Assuming Kiera has told him all about 2077 he may now want to "change the future", too.

Who the heck know what happened with Alec. I bet it isn't anything anyone suspects.

Flag
Never said the device took him where he wanted to go. In the crazy moment like that, I would think anywhere else would be better... he may have just took his chances. Or he may have configured it and planned it the whole time...
Flag
OK, so Alec is going back to save his love, so we get to relive the last few episodes all over again, where Alec will save her, and fix everything up and til then..which means Carlos joining Liber8 won't happen..right?
Flag
All these post keep saying Carlos joined Liber8. We don't know that. We know he needed a place to hide out and Julian owed him one. Those are the facts and that is all we really know. The rest is speculation.
Flag
Argh ! i love this show.. but the season finale felt like they were throwing everything they could against the wall.
Flag
"How do you plan to survive the hiatus?"

I will place myself in suspended animation by turning off my CMR chip and...uh-oh, too much information.
Flag
Very compelling and entertaining review MaryAnn! I'm glad you loved the finale as much as I did =D I've seen it a few weeks ago and it was an interesting to re-experience it from a different and thoughtful perspective. And also reminded me of the thoughts that went through my mind when I watched it =) I plan to survive the hiatus seeing other good present/past shows and movies and reading good books. There're so many and so little time to dedicate to them!
Flag
Some fact worth noting about the finale:
- When the freelancers show up, Jason yells in the previous episode (just before the firefight in his "house") that he did not want to "go back" - does that mean that Jason was locked up before in the freelancer glass cells and managed to escape? Maybe his experience will allow Kiera and the others to find a way to escape.
- Escher is an ex-freelancer - does that mean the he is not originally from the timeline where he becomes Alec´s father? That can explain from where he, and later Alec, got the ideas for the advanced techs they apparently develop - maybe Escher brought them from far into the future.
- While the freelancers are quite free on killing people every time someone is on their way, they appear quite reluctant to kill time-travelers - going so far as to apparently rescue Travis and ressurect Chen - does that mean that killing a time traveler is bad for the timeline?
Flag
I think Escher is in his original timeline. He was recruited by the Freelancers in the past before Alec was born but he knows about and had access to future technology because of various other Freelancers traveling back to fix things.

As far as Chen, the one that is alive is probably a younger version of the Chen that is dead. Maybe at some point he gets tired of trying to fix the past, leaves like Escher did and then joins Liber8. Or he's a twin or a clone but those options are not as interesting.
Flag
"As far as Chen, the one that is alive is probably a younger version of the Chen that is dead."

Ahh... that makes sense. I was confused about why he was still alive. I keep forgetting I'm watching a time-traveling show so pretty much anything is possible. Lol.
Flag
Surviving the hiatus will be tough. Just started watching Torchwood. That should keep me busy for a while!
Flag
Your in for a fun ride....wish I could find something similar I havent seen yet ;o)
Flag
I'm glad that this site is finally caught up on continuum. MaryAnn I agree with you on all points in this review, Emily standing up in front of the freelancers was stupid, Carlos joining Liber8 (hot brunettes do have powers ;) I didn't see that coming, and young Alec finally doing what he wanted over what Kiera wanted. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.
If Alec manages to save Emily he'll have saved Kiera by proxy in the new timeline depending on how far back and where he went. Emily died in the old timeline so someone else is Jason's mother, old Alec used everbody. I believe Carlos went to Liber8 because he didn't like the changes at work and he was acting like a lost puppy, still didn't see it coming. What confuses me are the freelancers (time cops), why would they go to the trouble of keeping all those people around? They seem to me to be a trigger happy lot.

Surviving the hiatus will be easy there's more than one show to watch. MaryAnn I'm impressed that you make time to write all your reviews.
Flag
Great season finale!
Flag
Okay, I still think that Continuum is the best show on TV but I had a couple of minor problems with the finale, the fight scene in particular. The suit that Travis was wearing was (Elaines?), Kiera's cop friend from the future; since it was a police issue suit just like Kiera's,shouldn't it have the same capabilities? Why was Travis able to do so much more with it and beat her so handily? And wouldn't a weapon issued to police have the ability to stop somebody in one of those suits?
My second and probably my major gripe (one I have had all season), is the lack of explanation of who the freelancers are and what motivates them. And this is bad writing. It is like having Voldomort and the Death Eaters do things in the Harry Potter books without giving them a name or explaining their motivations. I really hope that in the season opener next year that one of the first things they do is explain this, possibly by having one of the freelancers explain to the prisoners who they are and why they are detaining them.
Flag
He was/is a super soilder of sorts so add the suit and he is terminator!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I hope we find out more about who the Freelancer are and where or when they come from in season 3. I don't think we can gripe just yet about not knowing unless the writers refuse to tell us next season THEN WE GRIPE.
Flag
He's some kind of super soldier, so when she doesn't have a wardrobe advantage, it should be quite easy for him to beat her up.

I have already forgotten how he used the suit, since this episode aired ages ago, so I can't comment on that.
Flag
I think they said a couple episodes back that Travis had a military version of the suit. Or maybe because he was military, he uses the suit differently. I like that dude as an actor and hope that he's back next season(he'd have to be in Alec's new alternate past though..let's not be crazy, writers, and have him survive the kick down the elevator shaft).
Flag
We already know Travis isn't dead, because he was in a cell on a respirator.
Flag
He was dead at the end of last season too after Sonya shot him in the chest a few times. He's still in one piece so I don't see any reason why he would stay dead this time.

Did anyone else notice that the freelancers were also keeping the guy Kiera killed in the very first episode in one of the cells? He's hooked up to a respirator like Travis. I wonder where they are keeping the other bodies they grabbed.
Flag
Did not see that. Unfortunately, I don't have a DVR and I have no way to watch in slo mo. Maybe someone on here could make a list of who was in the cells?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members