A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Continuum S03E13: "Last Minute" 

Word has yet to come down from America's funky hat as to whether or not Continuum will be renewed for a fourth season, which makes us all a little nervous about the cliffhanger ending "Last Minute" left us with. (My bitterness over the way Dark Angel wrapped up is still a constant and yes I know it's been over 10 years and no, I don't really care.) Continuum's finale, however, left us in a much better place than the dearly departed Dark Angel, painting a more complete picture of the world(s) Kiera Cameron and the other time-travelers have accidentally (and not so accidentally) created over the last three seasons. Kiera herself has changed with the landscape, finally coming to terms with the reality of her situation and finding a kindred soul in fellow displaced time-traveler, Brad. 

It's never been hard to get behind Kiera in the past despite her role in the machine that perpetuated the troubled world she left behind in 2077. Kiera is heroic at heart and strived to do the right thing. Her perception of right and wrong has long been skewed by influence of the Corporate Congress and her time in the Protectorate, to the point that at times, she's come off as a little blind, a little naive and maybe even a little bit dumb. The third season of Continuum saw Kiera's eyes finally opened to the vastness of time, its infinite details, and all the wibbly-wobbly stuff. We saw her make some unlikely partnerships and we saw her relationship with Alec tested and strained—possibly irreparably so—and it's the loss of what they once had that marks Season 3 for the turning point that it ultimately is. The goals and motivations of the entire group have been altered. 

Kiera Cameron's primary mission for the last several seasons has been to return to her own time and reunite with her son and her husband. We all sort of figured it out awhile ago that the timeline has already been changed extensively due to Kiera and Liber8's presence in the past, that Kiera's family probably looks very different in the future, or (more likely) doesn't exist at all. Other characters have implied as much to Kiera in the world of the show. Season 3, and specifically, "Last Minute," revealed that Kiera herself has finally accepted that reality...and she's okay with it. Or rather, she's at least okay. There were no repeats of last season's nervous breakdown. There wasn't even any weeping. Maybe that'll come later or maybe Kiera just decided she's all weeped out, but she acknowledged her loss in the most honest way we've seen her be about it—still optimistic, sure—but realistic about the fact that she's probably never going to see her family again and she can either adapt to her new life or go crazy. 

Alec's ascension and sudden termination from the top of PIRON also presented a new direction for Continuum, but one that feels like it was always meant to be anyway with Kellogg finally scheming his way to complete power and casting Alec out in the cold. It seems that the bleak future built by Old Alec will never come to pass, however, its replacement doesn't appear to be much better. This presents an interesting concept for Continuum as we move forward, given what we now know about the creation of the different timelines and possibility of "orphaning" lost time-travelers. Kiera and her cohorts aren't quite as stranded as they once were, but nor are they completely free to travel through time until they find the perfect place to stop. I don't believe that there is a perfect future for Continuum's characters. They've lost too much, changed too much, and distanced themselves too much from their own respective worlds. Even if Kiera were to miraculously return to her own original, unaltered timeline and slip seamlessly back into the life she lost, she knows too much now. She would never be happy working in the system, for "Big Brother," now that she's fully aware of the truth behind her world's glossy facade. 

This presents an interesting possibility for a series resolution should Continuum be renewed: Is a happy ending even in the cards? Even a future featuring a global utopia, perfect in every possible way, would be imperfect to Kiera without her family. Could the hardened fighters in Liber8 accept a new world or would the movement evolve? Does Alec have a place in such a world? 

Continuum's third season has moved the series way past its origin story—which was never a simple one to begin with—toward something with a much broader focus. This is no longer a show just about Kiera Cameron trying to get home. It's about that and it's about the nature of time—and the nature of people—and how time can do both terrible and wonderful things to individuals who, in turn, make good and bad choices with, often enough, surprisingly good intentions. They say time heals all wounds, but the thing is, on this show, it can also deal some fatal ones. 

NOTES

– Soooo, Evil Alec's death was pretty gruesome. Loved the symbolism of the bloody time machine though. 

What did you think of Season 3 as a whole? 

– Kiera and Bradley sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I... I'll stop. 

– Now what's Alec supposed to do? 

– Any Season 4 predictions? Hopes/dreams/demands? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/16/2015

Season 4 : Episode 6

135 Comments
Comments (135)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
loved season 3 soo much!! it moved and developed soo much and it kept me on the edge of my seat!! im just soo SHATTERED that theres ONLY 6 episodes lefts DD': i hoped this show would go on up to 10 seasons :'(((((((
Flag
I've been trying to wade my way through Season 3 but it seems to have gone bonkers and terribly confusing and confused - I watched S01 and S02 back to back and loved every minute of it and was hoping for the same in S03 but I'm not so sure - I'll watch ep3 tonight but I think I may abandon it - bit sad really - what were the writers thinking of?
Flag
Continuum today!
text with russian (Google translate),
see slides "Continuum" serial with text
http://uapolitics.com/topic/13621-kazhis-v-gonkongu-pochavsia-svіj-majdan/page-2

Against the background of our Maidan (Ukraine, China) and would like to see a continuation of the series "Continuum."
Like he stopped in the voice translation into RU, ... on the 3rd season 13 series ....
I wonder how the show resolves the issue combat uniform (a) Mega-corporation in the state to be "free from the system."
And where the truth, in the series and have not resolved the issue.
The series so far focused on the fact that in the past has teleportnulas second group, both groups together all settled. And then there was already militarized - the third group, this time "Troopers from the future" but rather of a third embodiment of the future of their "corporate present." In the future, from where teleportnulas third group - already there is no food, and even global corporations, have gone so far that involved mutual annihilation of the population, food is not enough, the constant wars, and even corporations - it is a group of paramilitary "idealists their needs and ideas . "
It is not known how the show will be a decisive event, but our planetary events of the real world, while there are precisely the course, as it should.
Conditional communism collapses, as there is no absolute equality (now Ukraine, now China, Russia more CFM). World capitalism and politics (summarizing how the "power of the rich" direct action), also suffer from social unrest justice.
More+
Flag
They could very easily rig up a happy ending. I predict that if the show DOES get a renewal season, what we'll eventually see is another time jump. And I think the time jump will be Kiera back to the time when she and the Liber8 group first arrived. That would be just one way to reset the future to the one that she left.
Flag
For everyone who says Syfi renews the series it does not it's Showcase Canda. The series went were it needed to go by changing her future cause a change happened in the continuum hence the name. Most shows on Syfi now are from Canda and Showcase makes that choice same as for Lost girl, Haven, helix, defiance, just to name some.
Flag
All I can say is who is this Time Traveler. I want to know more. Please come back for a fourth season.
Flag
Alec killed Alec...that was nicely done..
Loved how good and bad worked together to stop this maddness with the braceletes...and loved the rest too...yaddie yaddie yaddie...
THe most perfect part of the finale was the last minute, when all went dark and some nasty killing machines appeared with very big guns...
My mind started to work like a madman from that moment, imagining the whole complete next season...
But you know what i thought about too....because of this, they have changed their entire future....meaning, that Kiera's family maybe doesn't exist anymore at all...or worst, maybe she doesn't either if the future changes rapidly????Very cooly done...can't wait for the next one...
Flag
yeah i thought it was weird that the reviewer didnt mention the ending. seems kinda important. ha
Flag
America's funky hat! I just got that now. Damn, I'm slow ...
Flag
Can't see another season for this show, I mean is it Brad, Kiera, Liber8, Alex and Theseus vs. the terminators from the future now?

Loved the show up to this point but with all the latest timeline changing, freelancer zombie ninjitsu and discount Kyle Reese I'm going to lament the loss of those intros set in Kiera's future where she goes all Protector (Judge Dredd) on a situation or the future criminals, even some of the more sympathetic stories like Travis and Sonya (who I thought was a cold fish) put me in tears before the show started.

I loved the gizmos, like the protector suit lighting up and moving toy soldiers
I want to know more about the battles Kiera was in
I want more protector academy training and Kiera dealing with her CMR
I want more stories of inequality where corporate managers get priority over children in burning building or Theseus unplugs enslaved workers
Gimmie Gimmmie Gggiiiimmmmeeee!!!!

Flag
Sad to say, I don't see this getting renewed either. It's just too good, and SyFy don't play that way. Not when they could use the hour to show more cruddy fake-reality ghost shows, or costume/makeup shows.
Flag
The Corporate Congress of NBC-MSNBC-CNBC-Universal-Comcast-Bravo-SyFy cancelled in England after season 2. Too much anti-corporate rabble-rousing stuff. So far the Corporate Congress of Shaw Media Showcase is cashing the checks from their top show and probably like more of them.
Flag
Haha! Gold! So Sao Tech and the corporations win the future and Alex is the supreme TV executive with his finger on the cancel button
Flag
I recently went back and watched the first episode again, and Kagame gives a little smile when he see Kiera there when he is arrested, like he already knows who she is and what part she'll play. Sadler too seems to "recognize" her like these guys remember her from earlier times or somehow know more. It's quite a thing to include so early in the story. Maybe Kagame and Sadler were working together somehow. Hope we get more insight into the reasons they wanted her to go back with Liber8.
Flag
When they started, I think that they intended to go down that road, but the season is written only after a number of episodes is ordered by our beloved Corporate Congress who decides these things. They changed their minds and went another way. So far there are only two old guys who are old enough to remember meeting (or being) time travelers in their past: Chairman Alec-2077 and Warlord Kellog-2039, and we have not seen any scenes where they remember meeting time travelers in their past.

Kagame-2077 is born in 2012 on the day that old-Kagame blows up the tower -- so he never met Kiera before, although he had a near miss at the Gleaners commune when they were in adjacent curtained cubicles, but she was unconscious for most of it. The crossed stares served it's purpose to highlight that these two are main characters in the pilot episode and in the season, and nothing more than that.

Sadler-2077's backstory is a bit more complicated, as it is revealed over three seasons. Greg Cameron, Kiera's husband, works on the power source for the time machine Sadler-2077 develops. Kiera herself is on the case of the murdered engineer whom is covertly leading on the secret time machine project and she brings home a hologram of the time grapefruit ball without knowing what it is -- but Greg seems to recognize it from his work. In an earlier "flashback" to the Gleaners commune with Liber8 Jaworski, Kiera is presumed deceased in her aircraft crash, and Greg is personally consoled by Sadler-2077 even as he secretly has been informed that Kiera is alive at that spot. While the firebombing air raid is under way, and Kiera is deliberately sacrificed by Sadler-2077, Sadler is giving the grieving Greg a promotion to his power project and other secret works by the murderous Sadler-2077. Kiera is a central figure to the CONTINUUM story so it is unsurprising that she turns up at most of the critical plot points, but her being chosen for carrying a message hacked into her CMR to Alec-2012 is made the day before the execution, and she is chosen out of a roster of dozens of candidates, apparently without pre-planning long in advance.

More +
Flag
I like this show, but im just so confused about everything LOL
I think i need to watch the whole third season at once.
Flag
Watch it from season one. Netflix has seasons 1 & 2.
Flag
Netflix is getting season 3 (I think) on July 26th.
Flag
I think we often forget that sci-fi TV is really hard to do- well good sci-fi TV.
Unless the producers turn it into a sort of a lame soapie like most top rating sci-fi series (which I won't name lest this divert into a debate about why blah blah isn't an unscientific piece of crap) there is not going to be a huge audience, therefore production budgets have to be kept small, and small production budgets make good Sci-Fi TV really difficult.

Continuum has somehow managed to solve this conundrum, creating a show that functions well as an entertainment, the plot doesn't rely on embarassingly bad science, and the sets aren't obviously made of cardboard (see early Dr Who when daleks hit a wall and the wall shudders & nearly collapses until the Dr manages to stop the evil daleks by putting a deep pile rug on the floor - daleks' wheels get jammed in the pile lol).

Continuum has neatly avoided the need for lotsa big and expensive sets or worse, too much budget cgi, by having compelling scripts that draw the viewer in to the human interaction that is going on.

I was one of the big whiners at around S03E04 because there were so many convuluted plots it was getting be a chore to keep up.
I think that one of the most frustrating aspects of that period was that it seemed like Kiera was finally getting it - that she had been a good little nazi in a fascist state, and that the attraction she felt towards being a time cop was a case of the new boss being just like the old boss.

That thread made the show compelling, yet all this (to me), extraneous shit about Alex x 2 and his teenage fantasy lurve, not to mention Dillon's corruption, Carlos' naivety, Julian's angst and all the rest seemed to distract from Kiera's awakening.

Somehow it all fell into place within a coupla more episodes after that seeming chaos. I have no intention of going back and searching for the plot-holes because we're past there in a pretty good place for a really solid season 4, if it gets renewed

-just on that renewal, I would think that whether or not syfy are onboard will be a huge determinant of whether a new season gets made.
I would be very surprised if Shaw can afford to underwrite the show 100%, a US deal with some upfront cash for production is probably essential.
I'm judging that on what happens here, and yeah america's funky hat is richer than australia's downstream turds where there wouldn't have been a Xena, or a Spartacus without US buyers, but I still reckon that both places rely heavily on foreign sales to pay for production.

So in season 4, I would like to see Alec wresting control back from Kellogg because as others have pointed out, without Alec, Kellog is screwed anyhow, he needs a genius to make the stuff work.
I can accept that evil Alec was both too paranoid about other stuff to see Kellog coming, and that he just wasn't as smart as not-evil Alec.
Up until season 3 when not-evil Alec ran the show, his projects rarely failed, I can't seem him making a dog like that silly psychosis causing bracelet. What's more not-evil Alec got it done without carving huge perforations in Kiera's brain-stem.

At some stage the time machine is gonna have to break, otherwise the show is likely to get stuck in a rut of everyone trying to zap around fixing something which happened that is so bad cause they messed up fixing it the time before. A vicious circle of world destruction by time travel. Hardly riveting TV viewing.

I don't have the trouble others seem to have with Kiera goin all horizontal on Brad - maybe I will if Kiera's 'stick it up the bosses' 'tude keeps on in season 4.
Old Kiera did nothing for me - she reminded me of one of those immaculately turned out straight arrows you meet at college - they should get yer motor running, but don't because they are so one dimensional. Images of bruising yerself on the rigid see-thru outer wrapper put paid to any lusty fantasy.
Brad came across as a real bland-0 so Kiera & Brad seemed 'a match made in heaven' /snark.
An aware and alert Kiera (without the awful patterned cardigan - please!) is entirely another matter. If that Kiera were to appear, then Brad would have to go and get himself deaded saving the world from Kellog's megalomania or somesuch.

Enduring the s03e04 doldrums was well worth the effort. I came out the other side more enamoured of continuum than I was at the s03 start.
This show gets viewers to engage gray matter sure, in a rewarding and generally entertaining way.
Sure there may be aspects of the premise which don't entirely adhere to contemporary quantum mechanics, but that is truly infinitesimal compared to the gaffes committed on a regular basis by most sci-fi TV.
Not to be a wise ass but on that I'll end with a little fourth dimension joke:

And the barman said "I'm sorry we don't serve neutrinos here"
Two neutrinos walked into a bar.

Stop me if you've heard it before.
More+
Flag
Dark Angel ... me too..
Flag
I have to say that I'm not really on board with the Kiera/Brad romance. I love Ryan Robbins as an actor, but this character is pretty much just a lost puppy and Kiera ain't the sort to melt over puppy dog eyes. Yes, she found a kindred soul pining for the future, but there's absolutely no connection otherwise. It just seems false .. or at least far too fast. I figured they had to find a love interest for Kiera sooner or later (TV 101) but this was just too damned convenient.
Flag
Episode 1.01, Kiera holds up in a hotel room and strips her suit down to some lingerie. Season two, in the Guardian's jail in the white slips. Out of 36 episodes, these are the only times you ever even see Kiera's legs. Rather than "Too Fast", it has been three years since Kiera's family was killed along with everybody else left behind when the group time jumped in episode 1.01. Two years mourning is plenty, even for the Amish. Moralism has been served, but a girl's got NEEDS, ya; know.
Flag
OK ... I get ya' ... but heroes, you know, they gotta be special. They gotta suffer way more than you and I ...
Flag
Poll

Flag

Great ending of season 3. Hope they include next season possible excistence of living in a Holografic univers, which could alter time travel to a whole new level. Basicly all individuels have their own or maybe combined reality created in a Hollografic univers this would mean that time travel in the case of continuum is only a projection/scenario on an individuel basis.

Flag
Great wrap-up for the season. The show is moving forward, but at the same time there was some of the great intensity of the original season and initial episodes (the approach to the Piron building in slow motion and the following action sequences were pretty reminiscent of those in the first and which became part of the first season's opening credits: which, btw, were better than that of now). I thought the third season started off being too convoluted, but that it got a lot better towards the end. I, too, hope it gets another season.
Flag
"Is a happy ending even in the cards?"
if the writers are smart..Yes! Definitely =)
Flag
Too early to talk about an ending at all ...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
* Season 3 is excellent outside of the Kiera/Brad thing. That relationship makes so little sense that I assume Rachel Nichols is dating that actor.

* Kellogg will need a lot of protection if Liber8 and Kiera are going to be against him.

- It seems Alec gave Kellogg so much stock and/or money that the new company was called Piron-SadTech, SadTech was getting its own headquarters, and Kellogg was able to get the Board of Directors to oust Alec.

-- This seems too sloppy of Alec. Bill Gates would have never been to careless and incompetent. How did Alec become so rich and powerful in the future if when he was younger he could allow someone to get control of his company.

--- Albeit this was kinda set up when Alec allowed Kellogg to have 49% ownership of SadTech.
Flag
"That relationship makes so little sense that I assume Rachel Nichols is dating that actor."

Are you aware of the fact that Rachel Nichols is engaged and it's not the actor who play's Brad?!
Flag
Obviously, I wasn't. The Kiera/Brad relationship makes even less sense!
Flag
I agree. The relationship seems rushed and lacks chemistry. She'd be better off having a booty call with Kellogg again like in season one.
Flag
Well I can't believe that Kiera and Carlos didn't have "a thing" for whole 3 seasons!!!
Kiera & Kellogg - stranger/enemy (ons and live tgt a few weeks in the boat)
Kiera & Brad - stranger/enemy (Kiera invite him to live with her the first day they met and had spent weeks tgt in the wood house after)
Poor Carlos!!!!!!!!!
Flag
This season felt rushed. I never believed the Alexes could diverge so much in a week. Then there's the fact that Kiera and Carlos flirted for 2 seasons but she jumps into bed with a stranger almost as soon as he arrives? Liber8 and Kiera's working together felt forced with little to no ramification. Then there was the episode that looked like they were trying to reduce costs by killing off the watchers and then sonya/dillion for good measure.

The writing wasn't up to the task this season but I'm not sure if anyone could have made everything come together as they had written themselves into a box with too many divergent plotlines and by the end it was obvious they had no long term plan at the beginning. They are making it up as they go along.

That isn't to say I didn't like this season it just wasn't as good as the promise of the first two. The good thing is by trimming so many characters they can reinvent themselves and will have a more focused storyline next season. I can't wait to see where it goes from here (they can't cancel it can they?).
Flag
The whole show is great but yeah exactly! The Carlos and Kiera line makes me a little mad. It's not that I hope for a happy perfect ending for them but God please at least let them develop a bit.

Well I can't believe that Kiera and Carlos didn't have "a thing" for whole 3 seasons!!!
Kiera & Kellogg - stranger/enemy (ons and live tgt a few weeks on the boat)
Kiera & Brad - stranger/enemy (Kiera invite him to live with her the first day they met and had spent weeks tgt in the wood house after)
Poor Carlos!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Season 3 was so confusing. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two seasons. The freelancers in my opinion don't really know what they are doing either. Judging by the events this season (especially after Liber8 'gave up' trying to change things violently) I think the writers are also implying that we still don't know who is REALLY pulling the strings. The characters' realization that they can't go back is essentially false, and the real starting point (when things diverge) has yet to found, Kiera's old life may not even be the beginning.
Flag
I agree with your comment 100% You hit the nail right on the head, THANK YOU!!
Flag
I am not the only poed about Dark Angel. That is why nothing....I mean nothing should be aired on the Fox Sux network...
Flag
1.) Season 3 was amazing and flipped the entire series on its head, rewriting so much of what we thought we knew.

2.) Kellog may hold the reins and the cart, but Alec is the horse, without Alec, Kellog just has his memory of the future-past to halfway guide him to money, but not success or development.

3.) Season 4? I think it'll be neat to see Present Vs. Future. At this point, Alec, Kiera, Bradley, and Liber8 are all pretty much playing at the same game, and Kellog, although annoying isn't in much of a position to do too much to upset them. All we have left is The Founder and Curtis, or whoever those guys in the future techno armor are from the end of the season.
Flag
Those guys in the techno armor are from future Kellog.
Flag
I was assuming so, but I worry more that they're some sort of Freelancer Elites.
Flag
I'll throw one paradox out there for people and hopefully, the writers of the show contemplate. Kiera needs to go back in time and stop the creation of the first Time Machine.
Flag
Now does everybody see what I mean when I say that time travel story's are the hardest of all sci-fi to write! However, my understanding of current quantum mechanics is that you can go forwards in time or actually exist in two places at the same time but you cannot go backward.
Flag
That's my understanding as well, although given the vagueries in certain areas of quantum physics, I reluctant to say with certainty that backward time travel is impossible. Forward travel is simple relativity ... no paradoxes involved. But backwards is far more interesting ...
Flag
This is why I loved the first season and didn't like the current one.

In the first season they constantly said that they have no idea how it works. They don't know if they can change the timeline or not (specifically the episode with Kiera's grandmother).

But now? That whole thing is long out the window
Flag
Good point. I'd kind of forgotten that episode involving Kiera's Grandmother and Kellog's relative. That begged a lot of questions which really haven't been answered. The Freelancers explain it with the bifurcating reality theory but that doesn't jive with the present Continuuum reality. I'm not sure if the writers are just sloppy about that or absolutely terrified of trying to write some coherent script involving multiple realities. I certainly would be ...
Flag
That is impossible. What often movies miss out is that science is in fact - the discovery of reality. Nobody has a monopoly on that.

Even if you went back in time and killed Newton, someone else will eventually discover gravity (unless the human race is extinct or reverts to the dark ages again forever - two things that Kiera won't allow)

There are loads of examples in real life where things were discovered simultaneously in two or even more places. In fact, that's quite often the majority of things.
Flag
We tend to see humanity as a collection of individuals whereas it actually tends to function, in the long term, as a single coherent organism. Individual contributions do make a difference, just as individual cells within our bodies can tilt things in one direction or another. Ultimately, though, we stand or fall together. Individualism is't much more than a comforting myth.
Flag
I think she'd have to go forward in time, and into a timeline that doesn't exist anymore. And if she did, someone from a different timeline would just invent it.
Flag
She would go forward into the timeline already in existence aka the alternate timeline created when her and liber8 came back. I don't think there is anyway to fix the original timeline anymore.
Flag
But the original timeline is where the time machine that got them all there was created, so that would change nothing (also, no paradox).
Flag
Yeah, I don't really think it's possible at this point to erase or correct what was done. Heck, we don't even know 100% definitively that the device takes you back to the past in the exact same timeline you started in, for all we know, it could be taking you back into an alternate timeline, an alternate universe that's decades behind yours, or any number of other bizarre possibilities.
Flag
Unless she could somehow travel back to the point her and Liber8 arrived from the future and kill/contain them all, I don't think it's possible, and even that scenario is a bit of a stretch on possibilities.
Flag
Time does not work in a straight line that you can go back and forth on. Especially on the time mechanics of this show. I try to think of it like one of those water tornadoes from junior high science class (Two 2 liter soda bottles connected at the neck, when sloshed around create a maelstrom from one bottle into the other) Where a billion past possibilities converge on the very narrow present possibilities, and then expand out into a billion more possible future timelines. Or you know, all wibbly-wobbly, timey-whimey nonsense.
Flag
"America's funky hat?" I love that expression. Reminds me of this and this.

Questions about the renewal of this show always scare me, because I have no perspective on the question. Is it on the bubble? Has it been there before? Is there a good chance that it doesn't actually get renewed? And if it gets renewed for season four, will it end up being like the other Canadian made Syfy show Sanctuary which got axed without a proper ending?
Flag
I look at American involvement in Canadian shows like a heroin addiction. The Canadian show is going along just fine with Canadian dollars as sustenance, and with no need of American money, then the show gets an injection of American dollars, and the longer the show takes it the more the show depends on it. What happens when you take away the drug is anyone's guess. Can the show go back to normal life without the drug? Probably not, now it needs a renewal of both sustenance and of heroin to go on.
Flag
See The Listener.
Flag
I like how show managed to shift the focus. Not quite seamlessly but still smooth. How it went form "get me back to y future with hubby and kid!" to "we need to make better future for everybody"
Flag
Good, now the viewers can be on her side. For the first two seasons that sentiment had to be met with "wait, why do i want the protagonist to bring about the corporate dystopia? Why is this champion of the dystopia even the protagonist?"
Flag
Quite. In first two season Kieara was not very likable. I have frequently compared her to NKVD agents but in last season she bacame ore sypathetic.
Flag
I was 100% sure they will kill Brad(Ryan Robbins)- I hope that's his name-
especially after that scene with Kiera, but I'm happy they didn't. I would like to see more flash backs whit him and that twisted future.

Flag
If they do kill him off, Ryan has none the less had a good run ... and there's still the job on Falling Skies. He was great in Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping's pet project ... RIP.
Flag
Interesting how the season ended. I wonder how this future is going to affect everyone.
Flag
did anyone else see those freaking robots at the end lets talk about that! holy sh$t
Flag
What if they're not robots? What if they're Kellog's future soldiers wearing advanced future armor and weaponry?
Flag
yea it could be that also cant wait for season 4
Flag
They don't work to renew this then they are fools. Loved the first scene in the future with badass looking Kellog - the two dudes talking, one was Bradley, and sharing a hug were both crew members of the 'Battlestar Galactica'. I loved Nichols and Luvia Petersen (Garza) kicking ass together but only 1 mere episode after her exit I SERIOUSLY MISS LEXA DOIG. Of course though the best was Lucas (Omari Newton) so excited to be getting into Alec's computer.

I love this show too much so it will probably get shafted. Nothing better happen to 'Emily' because always room for more Magda. He went back in time to save her and really, who wouldn't?

Very good episode to close out the season. I liked it a lot better than many apparently.
Flag
Season 3 awesome!!!!! Season 4 YES Please!!! =D
Flag
Season 3 seems like a transition season. They had to get from the original "Kiera fixes the past and returns to the future" story to this expanded universe in only a few episodes. It was messy, and some changes didn't develop believably but it was entertaining, and the next season(s) will hopefully be more coherent.
Flag
It takes 100 episodes for a TV show to have enough product to be syndicated on all the little stations that have to fill all night slots. CONTINUUM has 3 seasons, 36 episodes, one-third there. Simon Barry says that he wants to tell a story that takes 8 or 9 seasons -- about 100 episodes, what a COINCIDENCE!!!!

My guess is that Continuum will go through a lot of changes and will not end with a happy reunion in 2077 with Sam & Greg. There's been a lot of water under the bridge and that departure point is far downstream by now.
Flag
Season 3 was it's strongest season simply because it evolved past its origin story, which was great to begin with. Evil Alec was a brilliant invention of the writers and the way they disposed of him in the finale was awesome. I liked Kellog taking over at the end and to me, he looks to be set up as the villain in season 4 (or one of them) but did anyone else have trouble with how easy it was for him to get rid of Alec? He got him to sign enough forms to sign away the company? Alec is no rube and is too smart to let that happen (wouldn't he read what he signed?) but more than that, Evil Alec has become sort of a celebrity and he hasn't handled the company badly enough for his right hand woman to reasonably help Kellog get power of the company. Evil Alec has helped the company and despite a few missteps at the start of his taking over the company, has actually become a CEO who will make tons of profit for the company so while I see they had to do this, I didn't really buy it. Still, loved the finale and I think Keira's changing, her eyes opening, is enormous character development for TV, especially sci-fi, and I think it's awesome. Her working together with Liber8 was equally awesome (and kick ass!) and I hope they all team up together (including Julian) to put down Kellog and whatever other enemies pop up.
More+
Flag
@Xubxerox did a great job carrying the show when Staff couldn't get to it. Remember to always check the Continuum Community or the section on the front page featuring the community stories when you don't see coverage of your favorite show - sometimes Staff just doesn't have the resources to get to it. But we have some really good amatuer writers on this site.

For those of you who were frustrated with Season 3 @Mirelapilipo did a pretty cathartic story on the wrap up to the season WTF Show!?
Flag
Damn, I was really looking forward to a Kiera, Garza, Sonya trio. Let's back that timeline up and get Lexa Doig back in the show ...
Flag
I can stand losing Sonya, probably even Kiera, but dear Jesus, don't let us lose Garza!
Flag
Yeah!!!!
Flag
Yes please.
Flag
Continuum is one of the best sci-fi shows on tv! I hope it gets renewed!!!
Flag
If they can keep The Listener going, I think Continuum might be okay, maybe dial back some of the CGI sequences a bit.
Flag
The Listener isn't top tier TV, even by Canadian standards. It has likeable characters and competent writers but it doesn't really compare to Continuum in terms of creative risk.
Flag
True, and I'd imagine production costs on The Listener is significantly lower, but it does still hold as a good sign of what Canadian TV can do when they manage to keep overzealous, micromanaging US producers out of their pockets.
Flag
And yet they did manage to get the band "Walk Off The Earth" on for a cameo role. That was a nice little treat ...
Flag
Continuum continues to be my favorite sci-fi show in a current tv. Season 3 was amazing. I loved how they created this end of the world future. Kiera finally joined forces with the remnants of Liber8 (I'm so sad that Sonya is dead :( )- and it's perfect cause Kiera and Garza's fight scenes are the best.

Since Kiera won't be coming back to her family - I'm glad she found love in Bradley. I'm also happy that Emily and Good Alec are back together.

I can't wait for season 4. I'll be devastated if they cancel Continuum.

Thanks for review, MaryAnn. I miss Dark Angel too :(
Flag
So this show and 'Orphan Black' the two most ass kicking science fiction shows on currently are both in the unenviable 'on the bubble' after rapping their respective seasons? That is a major bummer. Hopefully SyFy wakes up and sees that if this show goes there is a major hole in their roster that they aren't going to be filling any time soon. Could NBC Universal suck anymore than it already does?
Flag
SyFy has both Continuum and Defiance - the best sci-fi shows since BSG and TSCC. In case they cancel them they should just change the channel name.
Flag
I am pretty sure when they changed their name from SciFi to SyFy that was them saying "we don't feel obligated to do science fiction programming now".
Flag
I'm not sure that SyFy has a say in either. Both are Canadian. Continuum is Showcase, Orphan Black is BBC America, although either show could be picked up by another broadcaster, I assume. (Only Fox refuses to lease rights, e.g., Firefly). I strongly suspect BOTH shows will be renewed. It's just that we don't all work on US. timetables. Expect an announcement soon, now that the execs may have sussed a certain anxiety in the fan community.
Flag
Always hard to determine Canadian production, as most American productions are filmed in Canada anyways. Typically get lots of Canadian actors on the shows as well.
Flag
Oops. Misread. Defiance is not Canadian, although I originally thought it was, and its fate is is in the near distant future. Still lots of time for that. Let's see how Season 2 plays out ...
Flag
Flag
I've seen some people saying that they didn't really care for the way season 3 was handled, and I can kind of see where they are coming from. For sure, the show got a lot more complicated this season, and had to juggle several different stories (some of which seemed all but forgotten until it was convenient for the writers to bring it back into the season). But overall, I think this was probably my favorite season so far.

I love how they really expanded this world's shades of gray. And throughout the juggling of the storylines, they managed to create a very interesting character arc, making Kiera question both her morals and her expectations for what the future will hold for her and humanity as a whole, and expanding that to pretty much all the main characters. And I loved the season's end-game being the ultimate team-up of Kiera and Liber8.

I really hope that the show gets renewed in Canada. I'm not that worried about SyFy picking it back up, because even if they didn't for whatever reason, I'm sure it would find another home. Maybe Netflix? Either way, I'm very excited to see where all of this leads in season 4. I'd love seeing how they handle the partnership between Kiera and Liber8 after this initial plan to take down "evil" Alec, Kellogg in charge of Alec's company, and what the hell's going to happen with those mechs from the future.
More+
Flag
I found season three less interesting than seasons one and two. There were episodes of two that I've watched multipletimes, not so with three. Season two flowed much better and had perfevt mix of story and scifi. The killing of betty and sonya did not make sense (hey marketing team, got to have some interesting and attractive women characters to keep even the most devout male scifi fan from channel surfing).  The whole julian story appears to have been dropped. I don't know if the writing team changed or what. I hope season four gets back into developing characters, not just events or time lines.
Flag
With the changing future, Liber8 doesn't seem to have a place and Julian doesn't have a cause. His purpose no longer exists, but I hope they will give him a new one. His character is interesting. Who would want someone to come back from the future and tell them that they are a great leader that has killed thousands of people? And Sonya, Kagame and Liber8 put a lot of pressure on him too. People like to feel like they are in control of their fate and Julian is trying to keep control of his.
Flag
I think they're whole goal now is going to be to create balance. The corporate society was a shiny utopia of control and policing. The liberated future was a dark and dirty shamble of freedom and abuse. Nobody wants either of those futures.
Flag
Season 3 confused me to no end, though that's not to say I didn't enjoy it. Plus, how can you not like a season that ends with Kellog massively powerful? You just can't. Team Kellog!
Flag
I used to really enjoy this show. Season 1 was really silly, and the way it depicted police work was embarrassing (it didn't help that Southland was on the air at the same time), but it was also very entertaining. It had a problem in that we were getting hints that the corporate thing in the future was bad, but still the only ones who were against it were extremely violent psychopaths who seemed to be in it mainly because they liked to kill people.

I thought it would become clearer what was really going on. Instead, the show has become a huge mess. No one's behavior makes any sense. Alec turned bad too easily. Neither the other Alec nor Kiera really tried to talk to him. Kiera locked one of them away indefinitely. That was a horrible thing to do, and didn't make much sense. Then when she decided that the other one was bad too, she suddenly changed her mind again about the first one. Liber8 pretty much gave up when they heard about the two timelines and the new future they had helped create, and then only continued because Kiera brought them together again. The Kiera that I knew I could root for wouldn't have reassembled a group of terrorists to help her kill or imprison her best friend and invaluable resource. The Carlos I know I could root for wouldn't have helped her.

I don't even understand what's going on on this show anymore. Perhaps one of the reasons is that I haven't been paying enough attention, but everything just seems like a huge nonsensical mess to me. Yes, I understand that the events at the end of the previous season created a new timeline with a future that was even worse than the original one. But what was the point of the "flashback" scenes to the original future? They showed us that the corporate overlords are pure evil. I guess the point was to show us that Kiera had reasons to change her mind about them, but we didn't need all those scenes for that. The show hasn't explained why it took her so long to change or why she turned into such a dick when she did.

Nothing that happened in the timeline where Kiera and Libera8 first arrived in our time ever suggested that Alec would turn into the old evil Alec of the original future. If Alec's short trip to the past created a new timeline, then why didn't the prison break in the pilot episode do the same? We have never been told explicitly that it didn't, but I don't think the possibility has even been mentioned. If it did, then maybe Kiera's friendship with Alec has changed his future as well, so that he never becomes the evil guy. Kiera should definitely not assume that he deserves to be imprisoned or killed the first moment they disagree about something.

We know that the original Alec is bad (the old future guy played by Cancer Man). We don't know that any of the young Alecs from this season are bad enough to make Kiera's actions appropriate. The only thing we know for sure is that she doesn't have enough information to conclude that they are. This makes it impossible to root for her. The Alec she practically murdered seemed to be a better person than she is. Perhaps he seemed a little obsessed about putting his new medical device on the market, but to him, it's a device that saves lives, and at least he's not the one collaborating with terrorists. That's just Kiera...and Carlos!?!?! Seriously, why didn't he just slap the crap out of her when she suggested that idea to her? (Think Tyrion and Joffrey: SLAP. "I'm telling mother" SLAP. "You can't". SLAP).

There's so much I just don't understand about this show. A few examples off the top of my head: Why did old Alec go to visit Kiera's husband in the original future (in season 1)? What was the point of old Alec sending his younger self a message? (I don't remember if we were told what it said, but it couldn't have been very significant). Why did he send his son back? Did the old Alec that we've seen meet a time-traveling Kiera when he was young. What's the deal with the scene at the end of the previous season where Carlos took whatshername to a farm with...who was it again? Alec's mom and some Liber8 people? What did that tell us about Carlos? What's the deal with the original future scene where a woman was turned into a mindless drone, and then killed along with a thousand others by Theseus? Was he right to do that?

This show has become too much of a nonsensical mess for me to enjoy it. I'm not at all sure that I will be back for the next season.

More+
Flag
Sociopaths develop their Anti-social Personality Disorder by age 16 most commonly, but less frequently later. Just because we never saw Alec's torturing small animals in the woods behind his farm doesn't mean that he was a good guy when we first met him. He was a psychopath as Alec-2077 and that is a lifelong syndrome, not something that occurs gradually with age. If you find that Ted Bundy is a serial killer at age 30, you can bet that he was a serial-killer-prone person at 20. Sociopaths are perfect mimics of human beings, who know how to manipulate emotions to get what they want -- they are often well liked and popular, like Ted Bundy was. Adolph Hitler was able to get people to vote for him by the millions -- he didn't seem like a villain untril the trap was sprung.
Flag
There has been nothing to suggest that Alec is a sociopath before. It sounds reasonable to me that someone who lacks empathy would develop anti-social behavior at some point, but it sounds unreasonable to me that this guy would lack empathy, or that he would meet a significant number of the other criteria for sociopathy.
Flag
Staff
I ran into a similar situation to yours with the show. I had allowed the show to fade away a bit while I watching it, doing other things and so on, but it was largely because I didn't really understand where it was wanting to go/seemed awfully re-hashy. Maybe if Brad had been introduced sooner than...episode 9 or 10? Once he showed up, it seemed like the show found its legs,
Flag
And took off running with said legs before anyone was ready to catch back up!
Flag
The replacement future seem to be substantially worse than Kiera future. They may not have been free and may have had their memories wipe from time to time at least the majority seem to live peacefully. An if Kiera ever return I'm sure the first thing her bosses will do is wipe her mind. We also know Kiera wasn't completely naive about the system she came from, she defy it by rescuing those kids, with her entire squad backing her up. But it kind of hard to fight a system when the system can simply erase your mind at will.

An for that matter we still don't know why Alex sent Kiera back or Libre 8 or what his big plan was or what was contain the message he gave Alec.

Season 3 is much improve after season 2 which was a bit dull.

I'm looking forward to finding out who those solders are and why they are packing to much serious hardware. These are the first time travelers we have met who seem prepared and organise.

Alec will take his settlement money and go and build SadTech or perhaps another technology company. That if he doesn't just have his girl friend kill Matthew Kellog first.
More+
Flag
I think this season as a whole was a mess. Too many storylines that didn't reach satisfying conclusion and most of the characters (Kiera excluded) didn't have any meaningful development.
Flag
The Golden Egg in television is 100 episodes, which is enough variety to recycle endlessly as syndication on small and rural markets or late nights as time fillers that sell commercials to the viewing public. Simon Barry says that Continuum is an 8 or 9 season story, which coincidentally hits the 100th episode mark. There are 36 episodes down now.

As the top rated, or tied top rated show on SHOWCASE network of Shaw Media, Continuum is guaranteed renewal, after waiting long enough to beat down the salary demands of the regular character actors, making them think that they can be written out (most of them can be).

So there is the cliffhanger of Season 3, who will return in Season 4 with regular parts and who will get a brief walk-on and be disposed of like Sonya or Jaworski or Escher, or Sam & Gregg, or Old Alec...

For a time travel show, Continuum has some really really bad timekeepers.

Curtis Chen-2012 was killed off early, in episode 1.03. Two years later our time, and Continuum time, Chen is revived "3 months ago" even though Alec Sadler was televised-interview as working in an electronics store "a year ago", and Piron-Alec says to Kiera "the Alec that you met two years ago is dead". Curtis spent a longer time as a corpse than the timekeepers at Continuum script writers can keep track of. Curtis was dead for two years, not months, if he was revived just before Season Two finale where Kiera screams at him "You're dead, I killed you!"

Continuum needs better timekeepers.
More+
Flag
Best show ever produced from Canada.
Flag
Fringe. Orphan Black. 15 others.
Flag
Ahem, BSG
Flag
Fringe and BSG were American productions filmed in Canada. Orphan Black and Continuum are pretty much all Canadian. You can sort of feel the difference, particularly with Orphan Black. Some other Canadian Shows of note (and this is not an endorsement, and it's heavy on Sci-Fi) include Flashpoint, Rookie Blue, The Listener, Motive, Cracked, Andromeda (Lexa Doig!), Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Being Human (often erroneously listed as US), Bitten, First Wave, Lost Girl, Sanctuary, Trailer Park Boys, and so on ...
Flag
Canadian shows tend to have less violence and fewer explosions. Whether that's budgetary or cultural I leave up for debate. But Flashpoint is a good example of the cultural divide. This is a show about a SWAT team, but the emphasis is upon reconciliation rather than vengeance. A good day for the protagonists on Flashpoint is not so much bringing down the bad guy, as keeping everyone alive. Moral qualms about killing (even the most evil of antagonists) are a recurring theme throughout.
Flag
I have to say though that US productions filmed in Canada have given our Actors and film crews more work than they had in decades previously. If there is one thing that Americans have in abundance, it's venture capital. Vancouver and Toronto are grateful. Hell, even my nephew got a few roles he might not have gotten otherwise.
Flag
Flag
Season 3 was the best yet! It is such an interesting show.
Flag
Season 3 was fantastic, just wish we could have more episodes, but then I guess it would struggle to keep the intensity it has now!
Flag
Maybe the delay in decision (re-new series 4) is dependant on mulling the query: "If we do this well, have we got a "Fringe" (classic!) on our hands?"

Maybe...
Flag
I Loved how they tied up the last two episodes. It made up for the beginning episodes that kind of dragged on...

Actually, I read that they have planned multiple seasons that are in the making and are guaranteed to take place.

The Show is suppose to go on for years. I'll try and find that article and paste it here.
Flag
Flag
Nice to see that Continuum gets some staff-love as well :D

I feel like not only does the show tell stories about what time does to you but also about the influenc people have on time. How, in the long run, it does matter who, how and with which intentions someone acts or doesn't act. We all "matter" in that sense and every desicion can turn out to be really important in hindsight.

This, in the end, poses a moral question: Are you a good person, do you have a positive influence (no matter what scale) on mankind, is your leagacy good or bad?

If we leave out nitpicking at the season and the flaws it had, I agree with you on one thing:
"Continuum's third season has moved the series way past its origin story"

Therefore the show can now head in almost any direction. I don't really care which, as long as it is well executed. Most important is that the show gets renewed first though.

Flag
OK, just to plug my own stuff:

Apart from a longer and more detailed review of the finale, there is a review/recap of every episode from the third season in the Continuum-community.

To plug someone else's stuff:
If you don't want to read but like to listen to people talk, you should definitly check out the Continuum-podcast.
Flag
I would advise everyone to check them, also for the discussion that took place.

I also would have loved staff to refer to it in this post. This review is part of the Continuum community and acknowledging the effort by the community members while staff did not review any previous episode would have suited TV.com
Flag
Season 3 was a still watchable ,but drab, mess....
I didn't really enjoy it until the last few episodes (the one set in the future was the best by far).
I'm sick of them running around the present day, the show needs to develop , it's felt claustrophobic and boring this season.

I think they need to step it up, spend more cash , and take the characters in to the future ( and somehow link everything up cohesively), and finish the show on a interesting high note.

There's way more that they could do with this show, its a shame to waste it.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members