A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Continuum S03E13: "Last Minute" 

Word has yet to come down from America's funky hat as to whether or not Continuum will be renewed for a fourth season, which makes us all a little nervous about the cliffhanger ending "Last Minute" left us with. (My bitterness over the way Dark Angel wrapped up is still a constant and yes I know it's been over 10 years and no, I don't really care.) Continuum's finale, however, left us in a much better place than the dearly departed Dark Angel, painting a more complete picture of the world(s) Kiera Cameron and the other time-travelers have accidentally (and not so accidentally) created over the last three seasons. Kiera herself has changed with the landscape, finally coming to terms with the reality of her situation and finding a kindred soul in fellow displaced time-traveler, Brad. 

It's never been hard to get behind Kiera in the past despite her role in the machine that perpetuated the troubled world she left behind in 2077. Kiera is heroic at heart and strived to do the right thing. Her perception of right and wrong has long been skewed by influence of the Corporate Congress and her time in the Protectorate, to the point that at times, she's come off as a little blind, a little naive and maybe even a little bit dumb. The third season of Continuum saw Kiera's eyes finally opened to the vastness of time, its infinite details, and all the wibbly-wobbly stuff. We saw her make some unlikely partnerships and we saw her relationship with Alec tested and strained—possibly irreparably so—and it's the loss of what they once had that marks Season 3 for the turning point that it ultimately is. The goals and motivations of the entire group have been altered. 

Kiera Cameron's primary mission for the last several seasons has been to return to her own time and reunite with her son and her husband. We all sort of figured it out awhile ago that the timeline has already been changed extensively due to Kiera and Liber8's presence in the past, that Kiera's family probably looks very different in the future, or (more likely) doesn't exist at all. Other characters have implied as much to Kiera in the world of the show. Season 3, and specifically, "Last Minute," revealed that Kiera herself has finally accepted that reality...and she's okay with it. Or rather, she's at least okay. There were no repeats of last season's nervous breakdown. There wasn't even any weeping. Maybe that'll come later or maybe Kiera just decided she's all weeped out, but she acknowledged her loss in the most honest way we've seen her be about it—still optimistic, sure—but realistic about the fact that she's probably never going to see her family again and she can either adapt to her new life or go crazy. 

Alec's ascension and sudden termination from the top of PIRON also presented a new direction for Continuum, but one that feels like it was always meant to be anyway with Kellogg finally scheming his way to complete power and casting Alec out in the cold. It seems that the bleak future built by Old Alec will never come to pass, however, its replacement doesn't appear to be much better. This presents an interesting concept for Continuum as we move forward, given what we now know about the creation of the different timelines and possibility of "orphaning" lost time-travelers. Kiera and her cohorts aren't quite as stranded as they once were, but nor are they completely free to travel through time until they find the perfect place to stop. I don't believe that there is a perfect future for Continuum's characters. They've lost too much, changed too much, and distanced themselves too much from their own respective worlds. Even if Kiera were to miraculously return to her own original, unaltered timeline and slip seamlessly back into the life she lost, she knows too much now. She would never be happy working in the system, for "Big Brother," now that she's fully aware of the truth behind her world's glossy facade. 

This presents an interesting possibility for a series resolution should Continuum be renewed: Is a happy ending even in the cards? Even a future featuring a global utopia, perfect in every possible way, would be imperfect to Kiera without her family. Could the hardened fighters in Liber8 accept a new world or would the movement evolve? Does Alec have a place in such a world? 

Continuum's third season has moved the series way past its origin story—which was never a simple one to begin with—toward something with a much broader focus. This is no longer a show just about Kiera Cameron trying to get home. It's about that and it's about the nature of time—and the nature of people—and how time can do both terrible and wonderful things to individuals who, in turn, make good and bad choices with, often enough, surprisingly good intentions. They say time heals all wounds, but the thing is, on this show, it can also deal some fatal ones. 

– Soooo, Evil Alec's death was pretty gruesome. Loved the symbolism of the bloody time machine though. 

What did you think of Season 3 as a whole? 

– Kiera and Bradley sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I... I'll stop. 

– Now what's Alec supposed to do? 

– Any Season 4 predictions? Hopes/dreams/demands? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/16/2015

Season 4 : Episode 6

Follow this Show