A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Warning. This article contains spoilers from Continuum season three finale. Continue at your own discretion.

I first started watching Continuum purely by chance. It was a particularly boring evening when I was scavenging various networks and websites to find a show, any show, that at least seemed watchable. I stumbled onto Continuum and judging by the very brief Wikipedia synopsis, it sounded really cheesy and cheap. Of course the words "time travel" piqued my interest right away since I'm a sucker for science fiction, especially stories involving time travel. But really, I had very low expectations. I though ok, this is clearly a small network show with a low budget and some absurd, tacky sci-fi but what the hell. I'm bored! I'll give it a go. The pilot only confirmed my expectations. However, for some unknown reason (mental problems? telepathy? telekinesis? physic knowledge of the future? ) I felt compelled to watch more.

The entire first season was already out at that point and I started with one episode at a time. It was nothing more then my go-to-show in times of extreme boredom. But without me even realising it, my perspective slowly started to shift and around the midseason mark, I really started to enjoy the show. The season one finale completely threw all of the negative perceptions I had out the window and I experienced this sudden explosion of enthusiasm. "WHAT IS GOING ON? HOW COULD THIS BE?" are only two of several FTW thoughts that crossed my mind. This little ridiculous show suddenly became awesome and I almost couldn't wrap my mind around this realisation. I was really pleasantly surprised.

I thought the story was extremely clever, I was blown away by the visual effects and the complex mythology of the Continuum universe. The actors were all solid, particularly Rachel Nichols and Erik Knudsen. I went from watching a silly sci-fi show out of pure boredom to re-watching that same show with marvel, wonder and true appreciation. On that second viewing, I realized that Continuum was REALLY GOOD. This wasn't just some simple sci-fi mumbo-jumbo, it was quality television. The second season, which I was now watching in real time, only confirmed that further by becoming increasingly intelligent and even more entertaining. By the season two finale I was officially ensconced in the mythology and eagerly awaiting season three.

I absolutely LOVED the season three premiere. For me, it was the turning point where Continuum went from really good to great. For me, it became appointment television and I couldn't get enough. Then, just as sudden as the first season tricked me into liking the show, season three started to irk me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it at first so I started defending the show both to myself and others who seemed frustrated by season three. It almost felt like the show became too smart for its own good, too complicated and too big for its own universe. And at times I honestly thought that I just didn't get it and therefore was rushing to some false conclusions. However, now that I've seen the finale and can judge the season as a whole, I can no longer deny that something went terribly wrong.

I had no issues with the doubles of Keira and Alec. In fact, that was one of the most intriguing story lines and I quite enjoyed the mystery of who killed past-Keira and whether future-Alec would manage to save Emily and cooperate with his past self. I also liked Carlos' arc, even though it was at times slowing down the plot, I felt like it was justified and a necessity given what he has been through and it was a good opportunity for character development. Carlos needed to grieve for his original Keira and that felt like the right call on the writers part. The same goes for Liber8. I was totally down with the idea that they would eventually take a redemption route and resort to less violent schemes. That felt really necessary for the plot to move forward as did future-Keira's "awakening". She needed to finally start becoming a likeable heroine rather then the programmed corporate puppet set on the stale black and white goal of destroying Liber8 and going home to her family. So I'm glad that Keira FINALLY started to use her brain, wake up to the truth and make piece with the fact that she most likely will never go home. She needed to start living in the here and now and I'm glad that she finally did, even if it came via fits and starts and some very evident plot contrivances.
Continuum is a sci-fi show even though it seems that sometimes the writers forget that. Regardless, I'm willing to get past the nonsense that often comes with every sci-fi show. As long as the story and characters are good, I am prepared to suspend the shite out of my disbelief. However, when characters start doing 180's within the space of a few episodes or taking paths that are so out of character that I start to wonder if they've had a lobotomy or a personality transplant, that's when I start becoming concerned. For example 90% of both Alecs' actions in this season made very little sense. Past-Alec's transformation from loveable boy genius to total corporate douchebag literally gave me whiplash. It didn't make a lick of sense. Neither did the fact that the two Alec's became mortal enemies within a three minute conversation. Come on! You are the same person. Are you telling me that past-Alec would be such a douche that he wouldn't even have some questions for a one-week-from-now version of himself?? Or that future-Alec would suddenly decide that his past self has no business knowing that Escher is his father, Jason his son and that Emily gets killed by the freaking Freelancers!?? Seriously, WTF show?
Speaking of, Emily's rotten attitude towards past-Alec and being so selfish as to put herself in a position of "choosing" which Alec she will be with, like it's some kind of reality show contest, was just very off putting. Is Emily suddenly The Bachelorette? Let me be honest here. I have never liked Emily's character much. I felt that she was extremely underdeveloped and I could never get invested in her convoluted story. Which to this day seems like nothing more then a plot device. And an annoying one at that. I loved Alec enough to accept her as his romantic interest but her whole criminal past and working for Escher thing was hard to buy and felt like a huge contrivance. Her behaviour this season completely made me lose the tiny shred of sympathy I had left for her.

Both Alecs' sudden animosity towards Keira was also a whiplash contest of puerile motives. Sure, Alec is a kid who is mainly reactive but Keira really had no good reason to be an asshole towards both versions of him. Even after past-Alec dug the CMR out of her dead body, she still didn't have a good enough excuse because she lied to him about sooo many things. Speaking of Keira's dead body, why on earth would she ask Carlos to dispose of it? Or "take care of the problem" or whatever moronic thoughts went through her Freelancer-CMR upgraded head. Seriously woman, if you want to make "the problem" go away there are a million ways to do it. Ummm....burial, cremation, dumping in ocean, dissolving in acid Heisenberg-style. I mean take your pick. It's not rocket science and you're a cop who should have no problems making a body disappear. Seriously what did Keira expect Carlos to do with her own dead body? It's not like she wanted to keep her as crime-scene evidence or perform an autopsy to see what the cause of death was. Basically, the only reason her body got put in a freezer by a grieving Carlos was so that Alec could eventually get his hands on that CMR for his Halo project. That's just bad writing.

Another thing that was a huge letdown this season was The Freelancers. Their entire "chose the right Alec" agenda seemed way to easy and dumbed down for an otherwise intelligent show with such rich mythology. Continuum's fluid narrative (and mythology) pretty much gave the writers infinite possibilities and freedom to take the story wherever they wanted. So to come up with such a lame "one person can make or break (literally collapse) a timeline but another has no significance" concept was just a lazy writing decision wrapped in intriguing packaging. But once you unwrapped that fancy box it contained a dead cockroach. Speaking of cockroaches and other insects, what on earth was Curtis Chen's story this season? Why did we even need this plot line? Ok, he turned out to be a rogue Freelancer who suddenly chose to brutally murder all of the other Freelancers (btw, why were there only like 4 freelancers? Shouldn't there have been a whole army of these timeline keepers?) so that he could free a mystery red herring who is apparently an immortality Wizard McGuffin/uncast actor/another version of a character we already know, that apparently was too interesting to reveal in the finale?? Sorry but if you have a mystery behind a locked door and you're hitting the viewers over the head with it for almost an entire season, isn't the season finale reveal kinda the whole point behind it??

And finally, speaking of lacklustre reveals. The bearded wonder amnesiac turned out to be a Keira love interest/soldier from another timeline thrown into the show as another major mystery only to be revealed as an exposition machine attached to a dull character. I like the actor and I get it, Brad is still very underdeveloped but his relationship with Keira went from flirtatious strangers to lovers within one episode? This is a guy who killed you Keira, maybe you should tread lightly. Just sayin'! Then to add to the confusion, Brad revealed his own McGuffin that apparently turned out to bring the background extras from the new Transformers movie?? From another timeline....? So how many timelines did we have this season? Are these things from Brad's timeline or a completely different one? Judging by Curtis' reaction, this was apparently his and destitute Voldermort's endgame. Sure, it's obviously a plan by the writers for season four. But giant robots? Terminator prototypes? Why writers, why??

Sorry Continuum, I was your biggest supporter an voiced it all over the internet but when a show starts losing itself in its plot and digging pointless holes in its mythology, I can no longer defend it. No matter how much it hurts to admit that. And right now, it really hurts. I fear Continuum has crashed and burned. I really hope that I hallucinated all of these awful creative choices and that I'm wrong about everything. I hope that if the show gets renewed for a fourth season it will dig itself out of this rut and I'll just remember season three as a weak season in an otherwise good series. I honestly do.

NOTES FROM A COLLAPSED TIMELINE

- What was the point of Keira's flashbacks this season? Apart from that whole-episode flashback, the other ones did next to nothing to serve the story. They just seemed like a convenient way to fit Keira's present-time awakening. To me, that didn't make much sense since we never saw anything to imply that Keira was questioning the system in season one and two's flashbacks. At one point I hoped these flashbacks were from the new timeline but apparently nope. Keira just conviently forgot about them in the first two seasons. Fair enough, some people start to remember repressed memories once they change their perspective but it all felt a bit too convenient.

- Oh boy, that Alec on Alec fight was a technical failure. That extra didn't even have the same hairstyle as Erik Knudsen and his face is visible in too many shots. I think Continuum's budget has been cut in half this season, y'all.

- I haven't mentioned Dillon or Dillon's daughter in this review because........pointless.

- Garza = awesomeness.

- Crazy Jason. I love you with all my heart. You are a beacon of light in a sea of darkness. Please stay crazy forever!

- R.I.P Betty. Your death was an interesting end-of-episode-shock and apparently that's all it will ever be. You deserved SOOO much better.

- R.I.P Past-Alec and your hairstyle and suits. You turned into a douche overnight but I still think you deserved better double-on-double special effects.

- Kellog, you weasel! At least you're consistent though.

- Sonya. Dead or alive??

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot this but WTF happened to Julian this season?? I know Richard Harmon had conflicting schedules due to being on several shows but I really hope he gets a bigger story next season. Theseus, I miss you!

Guys I still have love for Continuum and it is because I was so invested that this seasons failures hit me so hard. But sometimes you just have to be honest with yourself and admit what's what. Sighs and sad faces.

Mirela

[ Enjoyed reading the article? Please give it a heart because mine is a little broken right now. Thank you :-) ]
118 Comments
Comments (118)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I still don't like how they killed off green arc kierea especially when Carlos cares about her and grew with a costumed liking to her, how does red arc kierea know what's going
Flag
I enjoyed the flashbacks in the 3rd season because we finally see a future worth coming back and trying to change. During the first and second season, the terrorist organization seemed like a bunch of middle class whiners - they seemed to have it pretty well, met in nice Japanese style houses and got to drive around in hovercrafts. I was expecting a future that looked more Terminator style, like we saw at the end of season 3. Season 3 showed us some pretty ultra fascist stuff going on and also the potential in for it in the current time, particularly in the way the police chief's changed.
Flag
oh yeah, Betty's death was telegraphed. When she got the ankle bracelet off the bells started ringing. I was like 'oh no they're going to kill her.' When she said she should meet the fellow nerd alone I said 'Bye sweetie.'
Seeing this is a time travel show, she can always be brought back in the end though.

Flag
just finished binge watching seasons two and three. After that I googled 'Continuum has become too convoluted' to see if it was just me.
I'll watch season four just to see how they tie up the loose ends.
Flag
Hi. Interesting review. I see your point. By the way, I wonder if someone here could help me in refreshing my memory and clarifying these topics: 1- What happened with Dillon? 2- What happened with Julian? 3- About Chen: Why does he have Freelancers' tattoos in 2077 (ep210)? Was he recruited by the Freelancers before or after he joined Liber8? How did he recruit Brad? 4- What happened with the missing piece of the time travel device? 5- Is Escher a time traveler? 6- Are there other Freelancers' headquarters around the world? 7- From which time is Warren? 8- Can time travelers go back and forth in one timeline?. As far as I understand, each time travel creates a new timeline. Moreover, Brad said 'one way trip". Therefore, Kiera cannot return to their original timeline. Can she?.
Flag
I think the show tried to do too much, it's as simple as that. A lot of big ideas that the writers didn't quite know what to do with. Alec's transformation into a total ass was completely rushed. I do plan on watching the final season to see how they wrap up things.
Flag
Oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to the final season. The hiccups of season three haven't changed my opinion on the fact that Continuum is one of the smartest shows on television.
Flag
I probably haven't (respectfully) disagreed with a article as mush as I have with this.I know this article was written ages ago but I felt like replying so there. I agree with some of your points such as brad having not much of personality and the quick romance, though I did think they had chemistry. This was the season for me where Continuum got amazing. The first two seasons had the odd procedural tone mixed with a sci fi semi serialized tone that often didn't gel. It had moments of greatness and moments where I was bored. This season was great in how it built on the first two seasons. I will now explain my interpretation of the season and the points your brought up.

I view this season as about change. The series is fascinating in how Kiera is actually a villain protagonist, fighting for a future where humanity is enslaved by corporations (sort of like our present just to a more extreme extent).

This is where the importance of the flashbacks come in to focus. The first two seasons showed the future from Kiera's perspective, flashy, techy, things fly and there is a lot of cool gadgets. It was pretty black and white. Season 3 pulled back the curtain showing just how corrupt they really are and how that technology comes with a heavy price. Sometimes her freedom is taken from her, her rights and even her actions, to fulfill the agenda of the higher ups. This is where Season 3 shows how her humanity was taken from her little by little without her realizing. Seasons 1 and 2 showed Kiera as a obedient puppet. In 3, it showed even if she was unwilling, bam, someone can just take control of her body and kill a civilian even if she doesnt want to. The flashbacks this season also asked who is Kiera, what are her motivations, and it showed that she did and does have her own identity and values and how they were constantly being challenged and eventually suppressed.

Now as for The two Alec's. The entire confrontation, all that emotion and the change it all hinges on the events of the season 2 finale. They all appealed to Alec's humanity, his better nature. The way Emily revealed her identity to him and how that connection was kept. Meeting his father, the reveal of Jason. It was all up front, close and personal. Those events hit Alec hard, devastated him but also drove his more emotional side, He still saw the prospect of love, all of this was trauma. With the other Alec he had none of that, everything with delivered in rapid fire blurbs. "oh yeah that guy is your father, oh and Emily betrayed you. Oh and this and that happened". All words without resonance. The betrayal hurt more because it didn't come from Emily and he only got half of it. So without all that emotional baggage of love, anger, pain, suffering, remorse, guilt, confusion that the other Alec faced. This Alec just had confusion, rage, anger and then a big corporation. This appealed to his intellect, his ego, he knows how intelligent he is but now he can flaunt it. All he sees is lies and deception and now he wants none of that, he wants to be in control because he feels that he has had no control.

I do agree with somethings like Carlos and his arc of "OMG the Kiera I know is dead and I am now a lost puppy" arc was a little over the top for my liking. But the Kiera and Alec conflict, that I understood. All that was on her mind was that Alec sacrificed her family for his own selfish means, which yes makes her a hypocrite, but thats realistic and human characterization because just as in real life, most people have dual personalities and hypocritical tendencies. Her arc of the season was about seeing that she was also thinking more of herself rather than the big picture. That was the arc for both Kiera and Alec, they were becoming better people through all this pain and suffering where as with the other Alec not experiencing this, degenerated and ended up rejecting even his own humanity for his own means, intellectual, mind stuff.

I honestly had more of problem how the time travel stuff at the beginning of the season erased interesting character arcs that were set up last season and just became mute and a waste of time once the time travel stuff kicked into gear. (its sort of the same pitfall that Fringe did in season 3 in how erasing peter effectively dissolved all the tension and anger between the two Walters and erased all emotion from their scenes, though this series didnt stuff it up like that one did for that reason).

Now for my view on what that timeline was at the season finale. I think for some reason there is a strange paradox in that for the future to change, one must completely erase the outcome and create a entirely new one by having a completely unpredictable event happened The goals cannot be changed unless one changes the goalpost. The small events do not really change the future, they create it. They set up the goalpost. Once brad was involved, I think all the events that happened were just setting up his timeline. I thought all this was pretty awesome. Is it convoluted?, heck yes. Oh and if you still cant believe how someone can change so much in a week. Try a moment. I have one name for you: BOOKER DEWITT!. (which is arguably even more convoluted). lol.
More+
Flag
Watch this Mirella. It's Crichton and Aeryn trying to come to terms with their pregnancy. It may be an epiphany ...

https://vimeo.com/99890635

Flag
Flag
I'm not really sure how anyone could view season 3 as a failiure? It seems to me that this was the planned direction from the very beginning, and the first two seasons served to pave the way in a less mythological way so as not to scare off the audience.

Past Alec has just found out that he's inherited Piron. A massively successful company with a multitude of technological marvels to experiement with. Anyone given that kind of power would find it hard not to go a little power hungry. Combine that with his knowledge of Emily's past, and the duplicate of himself alongside Kiera's disdain for both of them and you can see why things happened the way they were.

Kiera's original 2077 timeline still exists. We know from Catherine's explantaion of the time travel physics in the season 3 opener that the series relies on alternate universes (the tree with many branches.) What leads to be explained is 2077 Alec's real true reasons for initiating the time travel in the first place. Maybe he just hoped that somewhere, a better future was being created regardless of if he'd be able to experience it himself.

Some form of the time travel has happened before, as to why each time it is different we have yet to find out HOWEVER it could all be working on a timeloop whereby everything they are doing at the moment eventually leads to the exact timeline Kiera came from.

Maybe as a series ender, Kiera could go back to the moment they all arived and kill the lot of them including her past self...and then herself. Meaning everything would head towards the GCC controlled 2077 and start all over again.

Time travel gives me a headache...
More+
Flag
Hahaha. Your comment gave me a headache. Just kidding.
I like time travel and all of the confusion, craziness and paradoxes that come with it. I think Continuum is particularly successful at the time travel side, actually. And like I said in the review, there were things that I liked about this season. I don't see the entire season as a failure, I see it as a weaker season. I get your point however. The story had to evolve and certain pieces needed to go from A to B. I just found the execution disappointing at times and I didn't like the characters behaviour at other.

Overall, if I had to rate the season, I would still rate it above average. However, when compared to S1 & S2, it's a little lower story wise. I loved the Kellog twist so much. It was very unexpected but the bread crumbs were there from the start. This review sounds harsh, I know that. But the only reason I am harsh is because I felt let down as a fan. It's not an objective analysis, it's a POV review. But I'm still a fan and I really want to see where season four takes the story. I have stated several times that I'd like the show to last as long as the show runners need to tell the story. And I will keep watching until that story ends.
More +
Flag
I never got into the show, after a few episodes in season 1, I gave up. But I have kept an occasional eye out for reviews, more because I usually love time travel stories. But reading this and see the regular review of the season finale. You can tell when two people completely view the same things in different lights. If even half of what you said in this story was on point, I know I would of hated it. Sudden, un-explanable changes cannot just be passed off as oh, there are other timelines, that is just piss poor writing. But really, just an interesitng read and don't take my view of anything, I gave up on the show like 3 episodes into season 1.
Flag
Look, I would still recommend watching the show to form your own opinion. There's certainly enough good in the story. I am strictly talking about the negatives in season three and the finale. I can definitely tell you that the show gets much better towards the end of season one. I wasn't very impressed with the first three episodes either but the more I watched, the more I liked it. Disappointment is a completely different thing from disliking altogether. I am a disappointed fan. Which means I am still a fan.
But I'm glad you enjoyed reading the article and thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I really appreciate it. If you ever decide to go back and watch the rest of the show, maybe the negative impressions will work in your favour. At least you'll go in with caution and lowered expectations. I sometimes find that to be the best way to go into every show. Nothing ruins a show more for me then too much hype. It raises my expectations so high, the show has nowhere to go but down. Lol
Flag
Wow great comment - your disinterest in the show is somehow justified by a review you can't verify since you don't watch it .... oh look, are those pastries... [wanders to other side of the party making certain a fair amount of guests make a decent partition from vacuous conversation]
Flag
Mmmm......pastries. ;-)
Flag
LOL I weas bored and read the article. Sometimes it is fun just to see how people react.
Flag
That's called trolling. Not well respected on the net ...
Flag
My foremost concern is that they've actually dropped all carefully developed feeling that it's all going as the 2077 Sadler planned. If by the end of Season 2 the question of the show for me was "Ok, It's all Sadler's plan. Is he good or bad?", season 3 just erased it with "timelines" theory - with the current setup I find it highly unlikely that Kiera's future will come to pass, so, no Sadler 2077, he's collapsed with the original timeline.

I don't really know why everyone's so concerned with flashbacks - I never assumed they have any meaning for the story of the episode, IMHO they're just a window into Kiera's life before all this, so we can undestand the character better.
Flag
You said everything I've felt all season. It seems obvious in hindsight that they knew the 'everyone is evil ; everyone is good' vibe they created in the second season and made the show so good couldn't be continued forever and they had to make a choice. Frankly I was really hoping a 'road to hell is paved with good intentions' series that was a sci-fi version of breaking bad with Keira choosing a middle path but ultimately losing her idealism and becoming exactly what Liber8 always said she was. By the end of the show, I hoped viewers would hate her as the narrative shifted to Liber8 (Sonya!)

Instead it felt like they needed to cut budget so whole scenes were cut while half the cast was killed to save salary in the most stupid way possible. Your mention of Dillion and his daughter pissed me off as I'd forgotten it. They wasted a whole episode on it only to kill him off and we will never see her again.

It's rare that a show can make me as mad/disappointed as I was this season. I wanted to like it. I shoved my feelings down as show after show disappointed. The second season had its share of hiccups but nothing like this season (I hated the end of last season's finale - it seemed like the producers did too as they blew that universe up). I got all my friends to watch this show and I feel responsible that I wasted their time. I feel betrayed.

The good news is the show will be more focused next season as they essentially killed off all the Freelancers and half the police department. Will the police department be part of the story next season? I really doubt it. Carlos and Kiera are out. Dillion is dead. Betty is dead. That leaves some sort of Justice League type of show or even worse a Red Dawn wannabe with Keira and the remnants of Liber8 fighting the corporate interests along with the future threat.

Maybe there wasn't a good way to do this. The thing that made the show special was Kiera's struggle of balancing her view of right and wrong with the fear she would never see her son again. Once that was lost they needed a knew hook and what they've shown so far is bad. It really reminds me of BSG which was great the first season, good the second, and then lost focus as it felt like they never expected to be renewed so didn't have an idea of where to go from there.

One good thing is with all the deaths, this show has been rebooted so they can make it anything at this point. I hope they find their way back to good TV again.
More+
Flag
I pretty much agree with this review. This season overall was a failure due almost exclusively to bad writing, and in particular, bad plotting and pacing. My hope is that they can fix this next season. The nice thing about a show that is about time travel is that you always have a reset button. I believe that these writers have hit that wall where they need a do over. Don't get me wrong, this season had great episodes individually but as an overall arc it was an epic failure. The show has a multitude of great actors working for it if the show and its writers can take advantage of them. I believe that for most shows the fourth season is the make or break point where they either become great or completely fail; so here is to a great season four.
Flag
"What was the point of Keira's flashbacks this season?"

I agree, though this has been an issue in previous seasons too. Flashbacks - or would it be more appropriate to say flashforwards instead - might give a glimpse to the future, but often they don't add anything to the present day story. I guess sometimes the intention of the flashforwards is to show that Kiera dealt with issues in the future that affected her view of the world, and now she has to deal with the same issues in the present. But unfortunately the connection between these "learning experiences" of hers are often weak.
Flag
Yeah, I agree with that assessment although I enjoyed S1&2 flashbacks/flash forwards a lot more. Maybe I'm disappointed with S3 flashforwards because I had a season-long theory that they were from a new timeline and it turned out that they weren't.
I also had a theory that Emily was a time-traveler too, because of the birth date in her file, which said 1981. That would make her 33 (and 15 years older then Alec) which she clearly can't be. So I thought that was a little easter egg alluding that she might be a time-traveler or freelancer herself. I mean, it would've made sense, since she worked for Escher. But it turns out the D.O.B was just a production faux pas.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I felt like there was a lot of missed opportunities this season. Looking back, it seems like the main story was just past-Alec vs future-Alec and it felt too contrived. Don't get me wrong, I love Alec. He is my favourite character. I just didn't like his arc this season. I guess it had to happen though, since it seems like the old-Alec corporate future finally went bye bye. The audience needed to see a young version that reeks of old-Alec and I felt that that particular part of the story was executed well through past-Alec. Although his transformation felt a little rushed.

I really hope the show gets to go on as long as the show runners need it to. I would love to see the full story and I hope Continuum gets to tell it.
More +
Flag
I agree with most of the basic points in MirelaPilipo's review. But I'm not at all dissuaded from watching season 4. In fact I'm expecting great things from this writing staff based on the best, not the worst, they appear to be capable of. And I'm pleased with the continued moral ambiguity and develop of all of the characters, heroes and big bad's.

I feel they tried a little too hard this year to create shockers and twists, and to start new story arcs without much concern for the ones already in play. It smacks of a series fearful of cancellation, trying to appease the Philistines known as network execs. If it does get renewed, and I suspect it will since Showcase doesn't have such a fat portfolio, they may just slow down a bit and take a little more care.

That's what I'm hoping, anyway, because I think that's all the show needs.
Flag
Oh John, I'm definitely not giving up on the show. Far from it. I regularly re-watch all 3 seasons and have been recommending it to everyone. I just got my sister hooked on it. She's nearly at the end of her binge and she loves it!
I was just disappointed by some of the stuff in this season (as I mentioned above) but that's because I'm so freaking invested in this show. I just don't want to see it crash and burn. I have faith in Simon Barry because I know he's capable of greatness. Fingers crossed for Season 4.
Flag
My feelings on the flashbacks (or rather flash forwards) are that they essentially come from Kiera's memories of that timeline. As she began to question things, memories she'd suppressed because of cognitive dissonance began to re-emerge. It makes sense. We forget the things that don't fit with our current persona only to remember them when a crisis disturbs our sense of self.

I'll admit the writers never made it clear that this was Kiera's version of the past/future, but with the potential of infinite timelines, who else could it belong to?
Flag
Some of these are good points, some aren't.

* Of course some people are more important for timelines than others are. If Alexander III of Macedon hadn't died so early, the world would be different. The United States would likely be a bit different if Alexander Hamilton had died during the American Revolutionary War. Etc.

* The problem with Emily is why would Piron-Alec still be interested in her. He's a relatively good-looking guy. And now he's a multi-billionaire in charge of an awesome company. Alec could have gotten some pointers from Kellogg.

* Kiera was always condescending toward Alec and acted like his boss. What changed this season is that Piron-Alec became more powerful than Kiera and Future-Alec no longer wanted to be the Alec from 2077.

* The Freelancers and the Travelers are great. There obviously wouldn't be too many of them in one location. It's not as if the Freelancers in Vancouver are the only ones in the world.
Flag
I accept your counterarguments. The only one I don't agree with is The Freelancers. I think we should have been told that they are all over the world etc. I hope that season four delves into some of this a bit further.
Flag
Thinking on it a bit, perhaps there should have been more Freelancers in Vancouver given how important Alec Sadler is in the timeline.

But it never seemed as if there are 1,000s of Freelancers in the world. Remember that 2077 C.E. Alec Sadler knew about the Freelancers and he only sent Liber8, Kiera, and possibly his son back in time.

Moreover, the Freelancers only became 'outgunned' because Brad somehow had a weapon that could kill the Freelancers.
Flag
Actually, week youger Alec transformation is not so strange. Remember, he had the ruthless corporate douchebag in him all the time. And a lot of things happened very fast to realize that potential. The pressure of his heritage, Keira's friendship divided at first, and then her judgement and abandonment when he was more insecure and fragile than ever. And the Emily thing. He was shocked, he felt betrayed with all the lies she told him, and rejected her. If the other Alec wasn't around, he would forgive her, she would come back. But that was not the case, and he gave her the reason to go to the other Alec, and by the time he realized that he still loved her and wanted her back it was too late. That is the insecure boy we knew in season 1, but now carrying the world on his shoulders, with everyone testing him, wanting something from him, and no one to help him. He was alone, and only had the company, the work, that was he used to had when we fist met him in season 1, but then it was a small thing and he was used to not having close friends or a girlfriend, and now he had and lost, or found out he never had those things in the first place.
The future Alec, however, went through a major change, he really had become a man. He saw the girl he loved die in the trying to be with him, protect him. He was sure of her love, he felt the pain of her loss and that changed completely his values, his goals in life, and made him bolder and more sure of himself.

That being said, I think the show is very fast, a lot happens off screen (Keira and Brad, for example) which is frustrating sometimes. But most of lack of background can still be repaired. I still love the show, I will keep watching if they renew it, and I hope they do.
More+
Flag
Oh I will definitely keep watching. The reason I wrote this article is because I'm very invested in the show and I just feel like it let me down this season. A lot of unnecessary things (Dillon and his daughter is just one example) got too stretched out while more important things got glossed over. But you have every right to disagree with me and you do make some good points. I like your take on Alec. I just wish him and his double weren't so hateful towards one another from the get go. It happened in 2 minutes. I wish they at least sat down and talked even just once. And ending up in a place where they hated one another to the point of ending up in a death match? I didn't like that at all, it was way too cliché. I guess it was important for the plot to move forward but to me, it didn't make much sense. If they had to kill past-Alec they could've had anyone other then his double do it. If they had gone for a smarter and more emotional angle rather then a violent one with the Alecs' arcs, that would've seemed more realistic. I accept that past-Alec got killed off but I would've like it to play out differently. Truthfully, I expected a better payoff from having 2 Keira's and 2 Alec's.
But of course I'll still watch the show. There's no way I would give up after 3 years of investment. I'm not that kind of person. I stick with my shows through the good and the bad. But I like to be honest with myself and others if I feel that the show has failed at something. That doesn't mean I suddenly hate the show.
More +
Flag
Also, Kiera opened her eyes when Liber8 became less violent and more directed to show corporate dirt. She didn't have the big bad villain anymore, who she used to justify her blindness, the only way she could stick with the status quo and be on the safe side.
Flag
Likewise, Carlos, who began to question the side he chose when Libre8 turned Wikileaks. The fact that Betty, an unquestionably sympathetic character, felt an affinity toward Libre8 was a tip-off that, despite Travis, these weren't simply misguided terrorists but had a valid cause despite their original methods which Sonya tried to change with the (first) assassination of Travis.

I've been expecting Kiera's "conversion" since the very beginning but, I too, was a bit surprised at how long it took. Then again, how many of us can re-adjust our entire world view and turn on a dime?
Flag
I too really enjoyed the first two seasons, and also came across the show completely by accident (a hungover Netflix binge I think it was)...

I have given up on the show now, I think I got somewhere in the middle of season three and with each episode and stupid decision I just lost a little more interest. In trying to be clever, the writers have come up with some really dumb expository leaps that made me go from "huh?!" to "harumph!" and finally "...".

I even read all the way through this article, knowing full well there would be spoilers, and I just don't care. Sorry Continuum, I think I'll remember you as two good seasons of tv and that's all.
Flag
See how you go. I understand that you might wanna give up but maybe try and go back if you hear season four is getting better.
Flag
The future is now owned by Blizzard Entertainment and next season will be all Starcraft-like.
Flag
I too found I had to labour through this season (after appreciating season 2) - same as you, all those dumb decisions and poor plot points; too clever but at the same time too stupid... my allegiances shift to programs like Banshee and Grimm - considerably less pretentious shows.
Flag
Kiera was dead the whole time and Alec and Carlos were in purgatory.

I want to know what was up with the polar bears!?

Flag
The polar bears morphed into The Transformers! And yes, you're right, they were all dead the whole time! ;-)
Flag
NIce to see you writing Ms Pilipo! More please! I await your FRINGE retrospective!

Flag
Fringe! Season 6 while there is still time! I wanna see Etta in an observer-less timeline!

Flag
I know! Soooo much story potential! We are trying to get some attention to get a movie going. Whether it's a TV feature film, motion picture or mini series. Give us a "Like" here: We Want a Fringe Movie :-)
Flag
I'm in. Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv, make a great, if unusual couple. And Mr. Noble is pure bliss.
Flag
Mmm. Etta. So cute

Does this mean Desmond isn't just a head?
Flag
Cute? Cute?! She's goddman beautiful!
Flag
I agree. But I'm Australian so maybe I'm biased. ;-) No she's gorgeous and she was the perfect casting choice for Peter & Olivia's daughter. She's staring in CBS' female heavy Reckless and she looks h-o-t! I only saw the trailer though so I've got no idea if it's any good.
Flag
Hail Australia!!!
Flag
I know! This and my Rectify article are pretty much practice while I psych myself up for "fringier" things!
Flag
Ohh... there is going to be one of those?

YAY! ... because... Fringe :D
Flag
I was actually kidding ....but SWEET!!!
Flag
LOL. You are the best ... :P
Flag
Yes, I'm planning on something of that sort soon. But it's all very hush hush. ;-)
Flag
Oh, OK. But count me in :)
Flag
All along I wondered how 2 Alec's could be so different when they were only a week different in timelines. And the one who had his true love murdered in front of him - ended up being the good guy.

You could have least had an Alec that was brought up as beaten orphan or something to totally change him into (what was your quote?) "corporate douchebag"?

Instead - we got 2 Alecs who lived one week differently. Wasted opportunity.

Flag
And you yelled at me until I caught up on 3 seasons.

Now watch Farscape before I turn this car around, young lady.

;-p
Flag
Re: Farscape. Here's John and Aaeryn discussing their pregnancy.

Flag
If you want a quick peek at Farscape, watch the feature film Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars. You'll lose a lot of foreshadowing and the whole build up to the Chriton/Aeryn relationship ... and Stark's backstory and a whole lot more ... but it's still very entertaining.
Flag
Oh wow. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the advice. I just hope I don't spoil the whole experience for myself.
Flag
Great idea, John. I am going to send that to her on messenger right now.
Flag
Just watched an episode of SG-1 where Vala (Claudia Black) kept pitching ideas to a network exec all of which were derivative of other shows or movies -- Wizard of Oz, Gilligan's Island, etc.. Finally, she pitches a show that was essentially Farscape and the exec admits he's never heard of anything like that. A little meta moment for Ben Browder and Claudia.
Flag
I told Ed that Claudia Black is pretty much the only thing I like about Farscape thus far. I'm a straight woman but she kind of makes me question my sexuality. She's so frelling sexy!
Flag
I couldn't find the right entry to post this, so I just i just took a shot. Australians and Canadians have a sympathetic relationship. We're not the same but we're like siblings. We came from the same place but fell into different circumstances. And we both know, in some way, we are the future.
Flag
Yes, edshrinker, it's hard to imagine that that chemistry was just acting.
Flag
It's interesting how different the characters Claudia Black plays in Farscape and Stargate are. Aeryn Sun is completely oblivious to her own sexuality while Vala plays it for everything it's worth. Aeryn is all about duty and honour while Vala is all about Vala. Aeryn takes everything seriously while Vala is a bit like an overgrown child. It's a trbute to the actor that she pulls off both beautifully ...
Flag
I remember when that aired. Claudia in sexy dresses. Yeah - those two just ooze sex. And I am sure they are good people ...but don't you think Francesca had to think something was going on with those two? Could something NOT have happened with the chemistry they had. Man I gotta think rehearsing one night...

Although Claudia liked to tease Ben on how hairy he was.
Flag
Therte's a video out there somewhere (I only managed to find 11 minutes of it on Youtube) called Farscape: Undressed. Ben Browder and Claudia Black review the show, episode by episode, while reviving the sexual tension and humorous banter that made them such a beloved TV couple. Get back to me if you find the entire vid.
Flag
What is so cool about Claudia - see if you can find some of her interviews. She is a total goofball which makes her so much more likeable.
Flag
She's a great actress. I'm glad I discovered her. Better late then never. Thanks @Edshrinker for introducing me to this beutiful woman. :-)
Flag
That was really well said, John. I remember her 1st cameo and thinking, "it's like they told her - be the ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE of Aeryn Sun"
Flag
Very nummy. As Vala on Stargate as well.

Flag
Even if she was wearing a potato sack, I'd find her sexy. Her face, her voice, her femininity, her confidence and her understated sexuality. It's so subtle in Farscape and it's so frelling attractive. I even saw her guest spot in Haven where she was made to look rather unattractive as she played this money hungry bohemian vagabond. She also had an American accent. And I had no idea who she was because I never saw Farscape but I remember thinking, man this grifter chick is kinda hot!

I like unconventional beauty in both women and men.
Flag
I remember using Frell and all the other Farscapisms and th guy says something like "I have no idea what you just said" Classic.

Ben Browder wasn't happy about the scene. He has a lot of pride in Farscape and felt it was too derivitive of it
Flag
Oh man, my nephew digs FRELL soooo much. It's a perfect opportunity for him to use the F word and not get in trouble.
Flag
Hezmana = Hell
Mivonks = Balls
Dren = shit

And so on. Not that you should encourage him!
Flag
In the episode I just mentioned, the Claudia Black character exclaims F... and I was sure it would be Frell.
Flag
It was self-deprecation, which I can see might irk one at the wrong moment.
Flag
IMHO Farscape was a much, much better show than Stargate ... but Stargate was less odd. Sometimes that's all that matters ...
Flag
I know! I feel a little embarrassed now. I'm telling you, you've now raised my expectations for Farscape so high that I'm a little scared. I don't want to get disappointed.

But you were still entertained, were you not?? My question to you is, if there's a fourth season of Continuum will you watch it?
Flag
I doubt you'll be disappointed by Farscape, although the pilot is a little "out there" (muppets!) so it takes a wee bit of time to adjust. Once you do the rewards are ample. It's one of those shows where you come to love, not just like, the characters. And, damn, it's hilarious at times ... and heartbreaking at others.
Flag
Can it be watched out of order?? I mean can certain "self-contained" or "filler" episodes be skipped? Because Ed got me to watch 4, 16, 19, 20, 22 & Season 2 premiere and I wasn't very impressed. But maybe that's because I skipped so many eps. I find it too juvenile and silly. My nephew loves it but he's 9!

Also, maybe it's the pressure from Ed (he has been pushing it on me like a telemarketer!). Or maybe I'm not crazy about it because I'm Australian and seeing so many Aussies on a living spaceship gives me hives?? LOL
Flag
@edshrinker Ok, for the last time: I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH THE MUPPETS!!! I like Star Wars for gods sakes! Yes even episodes I, II and III. And SW has creatures and muppets ahoy!

Since you say that the words "juvenile" and "silly" sound so off, I guess you showed me the wrong episodes then. I had seen the first two eps and then you got me to watch "Crackers Don't Matter" mentioning it's your favourite self-contained episode. I found it funny but "for kids funny", not funny funny. Then I watched the others you put up which are: 16, 19, 20, & 22 and S2 1&2. I found every single one of them to be more for kids rather then adults. This is why I asked my nephew to watch with me and yes he loves it. I somewhat liked 16 & 19 but I didn't like anything involving The Peacekeepers. Scorpius didn't strike me as a good villain. I found him way too one-dimensional and didn't think he was a big threat. He doesn't come across as ruthless as the show wants me think. So what I mean by juvenile and silly is that the show seems like more of a kids show rather then a adult show to me. Star Wars is also very kid friendly but the story had enough in it for me to take it somewhat seriously and to get behind the characters. And it's not like I watched Star Wars when I was a kid. I watched it for the first time in 2005 and I was 22.

The only thing that I can think of that might have compromised my POV when it comes to Farscape was that you raised my expectations too high perhaps?? Even before you started to pressure me into watching, you called it one of the best shows of all time. Certainly, one of your all time favourites. So that alone, coming from a person who loves L O S T and Fringe, raised the bar pretty high for me. It could also be because I was never into hard sci-fi or space operas that much. I'm a lot more of an X-files and Fringe level of sci-fi fan then say, a Trekkie.

I'm really sorry Ed. Please know that I am very grateful to you for going out of your way to put up the episodes and I know how frustrating it is when someone who you have a lot of TV shows in common with doesn't end up loving something that you love. I mean, you refuse to give Breaking Bad a shot and I'm fine with that. You also called bullshit on Hannibal until I told you to give it a chance. You loved Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow and I didn't. Both shows were created by people involved in Fringe and SH has John Noble in it. So you'd think I'd be on board just based on that. But it honestly means nothing if I don't like the story. I will always check out shows by J.J. Abrams, Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof, Akiva Goldsman, Jeff Pinkner, Joel Wyman, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and I'll watch everything David Lynch touches. But if I don't like it, I'll be honest and won't make excuses for it. A show could have every Bad Robot person working on it but if I don't like it, I will voice that. I'm very aware that I have a soft spot for J.J. & Co. but I won't let that determine whether I like the show. And as hard as it may be, I will be honest with myself.

You know that I'm always honest, when it comes to everything, not just TV. I'd rather tell you my honest opinion then lie and say I've watched all of Farscape and that I loved it. I could've easily done that. But I respect you too much to insult your intelligence like that. At the end of the day I don't have any less love & respect for you if we disagree when it comes to TV. So what? We don't have to love every single show the same. I will still have the same amount of love for you as a human being.

More +
Flag
And, edshrinker, the episode "Eat Me!", wherein Chricton becomes two and the entire dynamic of the show changes. It was brilliant, if a bit weird, and the rest of the series rested on resolution of this episodee's events.
Flag
I am missing what you are picking up from the series. The show is so dark in how these characters can behave. @JohnPeterson5 - you remember DNA Mad Scientist? Where they essentially assaulted Pilot and chopped off an arm for selfish reasons and seemed to have no remorse - even Zhaan? ANd then Different Destinations where they try to fix the past and a whole bunch of nurses and Orphans died? When Mirela says silly and juvenile ...I guess I could see a bunch of reasons you wouldn't like Farscape but those particular reasons seem so off. Unless there is this attitude instilled from the Henson Creature Shop aliens where you immediately think it is a child's show and that attitude just sticks.

This show went places I never saw in Trek or other sci-fi in how dark and serious it could get. And Rygel is responsible for a lot of that. They even address rape when Graza drugs Crichton. I think the only way I could win you over MIrela is if I could go back in time, say next to nothing about the show yet somehow you watched it all from the beginning and found this show on your own. You have Alec's phone number? ;p
More +
Flag
It took me a while to"get it" , to see past the low budget and occasional silliness. As the seasons develop, however, the characters begin to interact in ways that are oh so human. And as they add additional characters (Chiana, Jool, Stark) the complexity of their social interaction becomes absolutely fascinating. Even Scorpius, the ultimate big bad, becomes somewhat sympathetic ... but not unrealistically so. He's still Scorpius -- we just know him a bit better and hate him a smidgen less. There isn't single character in Farscape that doesn't undergo some sort of tranformation ... with the possible exception of Rigel (muppet!) whose humanity only reveals itself in extremw circumstances.
Flag
Watch it in sequence. The character development is pretty deliberate as is the relationship between Chricton and Aeryn. Those are the things that draw you in. That and the humour.
Flag
It is pretty serialized through all of it. There are some less important than others, but as I said ...I think a major problem is not watching all of the 1st season and not seeing how much all this crew hated each other and ended up a family over time. That is what gets you invested. And seeing the slow progression of Aeryn lowering her walls/the love story

I thought the Australian angle would make it a slam dunk for you, actually. Why ...are you claustrophobic? There will never be a "Mirela the astronaut"?
Flag
...NOT thinking much of it
Flag
NOt sure what you mean by "time jump" and exposition. They picked up exactly where the season 1 finale left off with Crichton and Big D in space. They showed Talyn coming back for them, didn't talk about it.

It's OK Mirela. You are not alone in thinking much of it - or it would never have been cancelled on a cliffhanger. I just thought since we like a ton of similar shows and sci-fi this one would grab you.
Flag
She is kicking and screaming John - but I am trying.

I uploaded the end of season 1 episodes on Vimeo if anyone wants to watch for free. And the season 2 premiere and Crackers Don't Matter
Flag
What I mean by time-jump is that D'argo was dead in the S1 finale and he and Chricton were literally floating in space. Then S2 starts of with them telling the audience how they got out of that pickle and how D'argo survived.
Flag
I know! I appreciate it Ed. I'm still not sold though. My nephew likes it but I was really disappointed by the season 2 premiere. The S1 cliffhanger got resolved through a time-jump and exposition. I also think that since I haven't watched all of season one, I can't just "jump in" even with those 5 that I've seen. I'm just not invested. I think I'll have to watch the whole thing one day. Sigh. I know it's not what you want hear though. I'll see of I can download the whole lot since I don't have Netflix. But yeah, it's not like I'm in a hurry now that I've seen it. :-(
Flag
Nice thing about Vimeo - I paid to upload these eps so they are totally free for you. ANd I am putting up some of the very best eps
Flag
... and it's on Netflix!

Flag
Oh absolutely. I am not as critical of it as you. I messaged you this - but because I marathoned it over a few months, I don't have the emotional investment you and others do having to stick with it week after week for 3 years. I was a little disappointed in the pay-off to all this awesome set up - but I am glad to have it!
Flag
This is my reasoning behind the Alecs' change in path.

The Alec that went back to the past experienced the death of his girlfriend, met his father and didn't care much for him, knows much more how dangerous time travel is.

Past Alec found out his girlfriend was lying to him, never met his father, and doesn't realize the changes from the timeline the other Alec came from. He is basically the old future Alec, driven and ruthless, and now is suddenly given a corporation to run. He also experiences other betrayals from Kiera and his double. All of these things would lead to character differences. How much IDK but all Past Alec wanted was to be secure and found the SadTech that Kiera told him about.

Kiera's changes are much more confusing. If they had have all happened in 2014 Vancouver, I would understand, but they showed flashbacks when she was younger and questioned authority which is something she didn't do the first two seasons.

Emily's character needs more back story and fleshing out, and a flashback where she is older in like 2060 or something so we know if she is actually important enough.

Carlos had a rough season. He didn't agree with the direction of the police and he lost a Kiera. He didn't really have anyone to trust so he had to slowly get though his issues. When Kiera came around to his way of thinking, he joined her and no more problems.

The Freelancers were really weak this season. Before they were unstoppable killing machines and this season they just held back while Kiera did whatever. The Time Traveler should have been introduced as a character with back story in the finale.

The biggest issue I had with this season was the episode where everyone decided to suddenly quit. "Changing the future is pointless." All Brad's story told me was that they were going at it the wrong way.

And I like Brad even though he is a little moody and needs to shave.
More+
Flag
For the most part, I agree with your take on the two Alec's. One knew too little, the other too much but I just think they should've had a lengthier conversation about it. If I went back in time and saw my past self making mistakes I would do everything I could to change her mind and help her. I would also tell her the whole truth and reason why I travelled back.

Regarding your view on past-Alec:
"He is basically the old future Alec, driven and ruthless, and now is suddenly given a corporation to run"

I didn't buy that. I still think he was the same sweet Alec who was being manipulated by Piron and Kellog and did the best he could to try and keep his head above water. But the writers obviously chose to make him evil. The transformation was too quick and it was hard to believe that without the knowledge of one really bad week (regardless how crucial) could change a person SOOO much. This is where future-Alec should've intervened and helped his past self. Especially once he realized his mission was more complex then he planned

I agree with everything else you said and thank you for reminding me of the nonsensical flashbacks which seemed to confuse the viewers about Keira's past/future. I've now added that in my notes.
More +
Flag
Future Alec came back to only to save Emily and did not expect her to be with him, but when he got her everything changed. He was not willing to let her go, and the past Alec was not his buddy, his other self, he was his rival. Same for past Alec. He lost his girl to his other self who was supposed to only save her life, not taking her from him and screw the entire timeline.
Flag
OK, I'm a guy and I'm probably looking at this differently but I like Brad the Beard.
Flag
Look, I don't dislike Brad the character. I just think he was severely underdeveloped and his and Keira's romance happened too quickly. I like the actor though and I even like his beard!
Flag
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had an issue with this! The progression of their friendship/relationship gave me whiplash and I'm usually on board with these kinds of developments, but this? I don't think it's working and I don't see any chemistry between them (even though I can objectively understand why they would confide in each other). I kind of hope they dump it very quickly in season 4 (if there is one)...not to mention Brad's character is pretty dull at this stage (not opposed to the beard though!).
Flag
Ok, I can understand that.

On the other hand I think Kiera's situation is somewhat unusual. She traveled through time and jumped timelines - who is she going to find that she is able to trust completly and tell everything she experienced and struggled with? All Liber8 members are no-go for ideological reasons and everyone else can just not relate. Therefore I can understand she felt attracted to Brad.

That of course doesn't flesh out Brad as a character. The problem with him is, that he basically started out as a character without a character because of his amnesia. Up until now he does remain a bit of a mystery even though we saw some of his backstory. So yes, I get why you feel he is flat as a character.
Flag
I said early on in this series that the writers either had a grand plan that would wow us, or (far more likely) were making it up on the day without a clue where to go with it. Random plot lines, pointless sub-plots, characters built up then discarded without going anywhere or moving the story along at all.
Dead Kira, Carlos basically sitting on his hands the whole season, Alec & Hyde, Julian turning corporate with nary a blink, Betty's death, Jack's probable death at the hands on Sonia and then the whole "anti-time-travel" cult. Just WTF.
Flag
I know a lot of people who called bullshit on this season quite early on. I just didn't want to accept it because I was so invested in the show. But I fear you might be right.

Btw, Dillon is apparently gonna be fine. He's injured but he'll make it.
Flag
Also, in order to have the motivation to do a recap every week, I had to have a more positive view of the show.... or else I would have had to quit.
Flag
the third season is a classic example of a writing staff who didn't have a clear idea of were the show was heading and as a result took some fumbles along the way. IF Continuum finds a 4th season one can only hope the writers undo this story arc by erasing this whole/most timeline s3 created.

Then they need to get to what made Continuum a good show and make it about corporations vs. democracy - only FINALLY have Kira on the side of democracy
Flag
I don't know how I would feel about erasing this timeline. That was one of my biggest issues with season four of Fringe (my favourite show). I guess if it was done right and the characters memories didn't get erased along with the timeline, maybe it could work.
Yes, this season felt like a making-it-up-as-we-go thing but that's really confusing since Simon Barry said he has at least 6 seasons worth of story mapped out. Maybe he's just covering his own ass after the backlash.

P.S. They stole your avatar! :-)
Flag
Couldn't agree more. I turned off after episode 7. Why would 2 Alecs be so different just a week apart? Totally absurd writing
Flag
Sadly, I agree with every last word that was written in review.
Flag
Wow not even i had enough time to read your comments but i agree season 3 took on more than it can chew but i liked the cliffhanger and next season has a chance of redemption they can't make it any more worse ?.
Flag
Let's hope so.
Flag
Brad was a good idea that came too late and was rushed a bit in the end, IMO. He represented how messing with time travel could make things worse. However, his relationship with Kiera went at warp speed.
Flag
Yes, yes and yes. I agree 100%.
Flag
Well lets see...

I won't disagree with you on everything...

I think Emily was supposed to be the reason why the two Alecs hated eachother. That is why they brought that up again in the finale. Kindergarden yes, but maybe appropriate for a young guy.

I agree with you on Emily. She was basically a plot device. A pretty one but not much more than that.

Yes... the question of the Kiera body. Well, I think you are right, that was a bit of lazy writing. Carlos on the other hand, once he got the body, should definitly have arranged some sort of burial. It would have helped him grieve.

The Freelancers, well I don't think they were meant to be more than a 1-season-player in this game. Maybe they should have been. That would have allowed for a less crowded season three. Same goes for the Traveler. Had they stretched the Freelancers over 2 seasos, they could have revealed him in the finale and moved that story forward.

On Brad, I disagree. I liked how they introduced him in a slow and measured sort of way. The thing that surprised me with Brad was his non-role in freeing Alec in the finale.

Sonya - dead. Dillon - hanging on. That's how I understood everything.

See, this is why it's nice to have discussions... because taste, even in TV shows, is very subjective and everyone has a different opinion. :D

More+
Flag
Xubxerox, you know how much I defended this season in your recaps. I don't know, it's almost like it all sounded good on paper but was just badly executed. I didn't care for The Freelancers so I'm glad they're gone (hopefully). I just expected a better story since they seemed like such a huge threat in S2.

Yes, I love these discussions too. :-)
Flag
I get that and yes I remember your comments. Like I said, the Freelancer storyline could/should have been done differently.

One disadvantage I have is that after doing a recap every week I am very much entrenched in the details but sometimes the overall season long view seems to elude me.
Flag
Yup, in retrospective, re for example Kiera's decision to leave Dead Kiera's body to Carlos, the plotting is convenient. But to me it boils down to a simple lack of exploration of the character's motives and feelings, which do not make for great television unless you have the kind of actors that can sell it (looking at you, Rust & Cohle...)
In other words, it does not feel like a plot hole or illogical, even if convenient plot-wise. They retroactively sell it, if that makes any sense. Perhaps it'll nag at me upon rewatching, but for now I barely had time to mull over anything than the main plot at the speed this season has gone. At least it ain't predictable!

Looking at the two Alecs for example, that's the "transformation" that was carried through the most swiftly, but thinking about it, thinking of Alec as a too young (not even realizing Kellog's taking over the company) and insecure boy given a huge cargo ship of a company, who sees another version of him coming up and squatting his timeline, stealing his patricidal murderer of a girlfriend, turning his ally, Kiera, against him (an ally who turns out to betray him twice) and trying to derail his plans of accomplishing what he knows is his destiny... well, I kind of buy it. Even though it felt jarring at first.

And looking at how much more glam they gave Emily for her comeback, to compensate for how they indeed fridged her in the S2 finale, I wouldn't be surprised if she got somewhat regularized, considering how many female characters the show has lost lately. (That Dillon's female replacement back in... S1? S2? - Nora? - was mentioned twice in Dying Minutes, I was expecting to see her at the precinct).

But yeah, the show's characters do indeed forgive and move on extremely quickly... Carlos totally on board with Keira's kidnapping plan is the latest example of it, but there's no time to show the conversation during which she won him over.
More +
Flag
I love the fast plot. I just don't like when it doesn't make sense. But you present some good counterarguments.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members