A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Continuum S02E10: "Second Wave"

Well, friendly might be a stretch, but Julian the Friendly Terrorist still let Kiera go, even when his followers really, really wanted him to make an unpleasant example of her. That totally counts for something, right?

This was kind of a weird episode—probably my least favorite of the season so far—but that's not to say it was bad... thought it was certainly all over the place. I've never felt like Continuum has bitten off more than it can chew with its stories, but "Second Wave" had the body-snatchers stuff and the Garza stuff and the Liber8 stuff and the Julian stuff and the Emily/Escher/Kellog/Alec stuff and even some Chen-from-beyond-the-grave stuff just to make sure we've all been paying attention. It was a lot to take in. 

Sure, everything is somehow connected to everything else, so it's not like we really had a bazillion different things going on—but it felt that way, and at this point, all those stories might as well be different.

So let's break it down:

Kiera and Carlos snagged Garza and dragged her to an interrogation room, where she sassed them like the queen of IDGAF that she is. <3 her. She eventually escaped (of course) and tried to meet up with Travis, but Travis has been having wonky issues ever since Alec activated his military chip in an attempt to help Kiera track him down to add to her collection of captive Liber8 operatives. Kiera also experienced her share of weird during the incident; she was able to track Travis, which was the whole point, but she could also hear him, and he could hear her, and that was just waaaaaay too cozy for anybody's liking. Kiera had a long day of technological woes, what with the body-snatchers having a thingamajig that could deactivate her invisibility suit and everything. Hey, at least she got to show Carlos her cool stun gun from the future. She was practically gleeful to show him her toy! 

Leaving Carlos to deal with Garza—because she was getting really out of hand with her bad cop routine and it was freaking him out—Kiera hit the streets and wound up at a Liber8 rally where Julian was perfecting his revolutionary orator routine. Hiding from the body-snatchers got her caught by the gun-toting hippie-kids (oxymoron?), but rather shockingly, Julian let her go and condemned the use of guns among his peeps. So maybe Kiera going all crazy lady on him last week really did change him for the better? That's cool. I'd like to cheer for Julian. I mean, I'm already halfway cheering for Julian/Liber8 anyway, so this development is a positive one—not to mention interesting in its implications with regard to the timeline. Sure, this anti-guns approach might be a phase, but it also might not be. 

Also, for being a big ol' "guns are bad" episode, "Second Wave" certainly featured a lot of guns.

Then there was Emily and Alec and their potentially-evil-genius-finds-true-love-with-secret-female-ass-kicker storyline. Emily asked Escher to take her off of her Alec assignment because she's developed real feelings for him and that's awkward and probably a conflict of interest. Escher basically said "LOL, no." Then he dropped in on date night to give Emily a heart attack and to woo Alec into ditching Kellog and joining his team. OH THE SUSPENSE. I suspect that working with either Escher or Kellog is going to eat Alec's precious little nerd soul, but if he has to pick one, I guess I'd choose Kellog. He's a sleaze, but at least he's a lovable sleaze. Plus: Better the devil you know than the one you don't. 

Oh, and Chen's alive, probably—nice freelancer tats, bro!—and trolling Lucas like a pro. 

Oh, and Garza got taken by the body-snatchers. 

Like I said, there was a lot going on this week, a lot of moving players around and getting them into position as we head into the homestretch of the season. Not a lot of heady philosophical stuff, but definitely a lot of action. 

QUESTIONS:

– Dillon seems kind of shifty now that he works with/for Escher. Thoughts?

– Is Julian's change of heart going to last?

– Chen is totally not dead and is totally one of them freelancers, right?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/16/2015

Season 4 : Episode 6

48 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Something to consider in terms of Alec and Julian's fates and ability to fight them: Whenever the flashbacks to 2077 occur and feature Alec or Julian, look at their faces. Alec always looks and sounds different between the timelines. Julian never looks so divorced from his younger self as to be unrecognizable, and I think his voice never really changes. Perhaps it's foreshadowing; Alec might change, but Julian never will.
Flag
Rachel Nichols is a beautiful woman, but the scene in next week's episode with her in a bikini seemed cynically motivated.
Flag
Great review! Garza is just a brilliant character. She is just so badass and convincingly so... It is so rare to have great badass female characters, esp. 'evil' ones and this show has Kiera AND Garza... To an extent also Betty and the other 'bad' girl Travis' ex...
I also loved the scene at the restaurant... very tense... I think Alec is going to smell a rat soon...

Flag
i agree, decent ep, it was just all over the place.
too many stories in one ep.
Flag
Julian is so conceited. No one but he is at fault for his fathers killing. The whole theseus movement is made up of little kids to dumb to realize what they are trying to accomplish contradicts the human nature and about the only form of society that ever worked
Flag
Not that they know it but they are fighting to prevent people from being a part of a corporate machine. I think it was in the last episode where debtors were chipped and turned into drones. To me that is against human nature. Humans were meant to be free, not corporate slaves.
Flag
First funny my name is Laurin actually ^^. It wasnt the system that led to this extreme future but its downfall the correct way to prevent the future would be to uphold the system and prevent it from collapsing instead of accelerating it.
Flag
Great show!!! Can't wait for season 3!!!
Flag
Good episode. A little lighter than the two previous ones.

Likely he was fed up with the way they were going about attacking liber8 so this seems like a more streamlined way to go about it. I am sure he feels that the ends will justify the means.

Either that or he tapped into the Force and it is just his projection from that. There was too much talk about not truly dying between him and Travis. That or Lucas has schizophrenia. Really, really specific schizophrenia.
Flag
They have to have the worst security at that police station because almost everyone they bring in gets out.
Flag
Who...Lucas? Who was resuced by an attack by Liber8 and now Garza who used access tunnels the police wouldn't have necessarily thought she'd known about?
Unless you can think of anyone else, not sure two people constitutes "almost everyone".
Flag
It would be nice if SyFy runs Continuum at the same time as Showcase next year.
Flag
i'm sure u could find it online the day after it airs. i'll wait it our so i can watch on syfy hd instead of a low quality stream. (no torrents for me). although syfy mutes swears & blurs out nips...stupid syfy.
Flag
Theres probably SyFy on cable in Canada and they dont want to compete. If not it should be on at the same time.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Nah, cause then it won't be possible to tease the next episode.

I mean when Kiera does "that" thing to Alex and Emily gets so jealous she does that "other" thing to Kellog. I so did not see that coming.
Flag
All over the place episode, but still it was good to get things moving forward.
Flag
yes loose rnds but necessary for the aeesome finale!!!! just wait people wjo are watching it on tv in America and not in Canada or downloading it, just you wait!!!!!
Flag
Good review MaryAnn! I agree that this was the least focused episode, but it moved many plot points forward, which are going to lead to great payoffs in the next episodes, particularly the awesome finale.
Flag
I really hope people who are able to watch future episodes stay off this forum or keep their knowledge to themselves and don't spoil it for the rest of us. That being said,I hope that they wrap at least one or two of these storylines by end of season. I would like to see some sort of fill in on the "freelancer" time travelers and Alec at the very least. The various plotlines are getting too numerous and tangled and are beginning to take on the miasma of bad storytelling.Oh, and I think Dillon has been brainwashed or possibly a Dillon from a different timeline and Chen is a freelancer.
Flag
or they could do the honourable thing and post the reviews when episode are first broadcast then the people who are lollygagging won't spoil it for the rest of us
Flag
U.S. site. U.S. schedule.
No one is lollygagging.
Flag
The visitors are international. The ads are international. (I see ads in Swedish). Most of us follow the Canadian schedule.
Flag
"The company is U.S. The writers are U.S. [...] There is no legal way for people in the U.S. to watch it on the Canadian schedule."

So the problem is that the *writers* are unable to watch it legally before it airs on SyFy? If that's accurate, I agree that it's a problem.

If any of these conditions are met, there's no problem:

* One of the writers lives in Canada.
* One of the writers lives in a part of the USA where people can get Showcase as part of their cable package.
* tv.com gets DVD screeners from Showcase before the episodes air in Canada.

What I do know is that *if* they can watch the episodes legally, it makes more sense to put up the reviews when they air on Showcase, because that way all the tv.com members will be able to discuss the episode right after they've seen it.

Flag
The company is U.S. The writers are U.S. The U.S. schedule is always followed. There is no legal way for people in the U.S. to watch it on the Canadian schedule. So, if you're looking to follow the Canadian schedule, you're on the wrong site.
Flag
Reading this reviews with the knowledge of future episodes is so funny.
Flag
I know! Every time Carlos is mentioned I think "oh yeah, he was still alive back then".
Flag
There's a bit that wants to post two "spoilers" one that's true and one that's false eg:

1 - In the next episode Betty dyes her hair blue
2 - In the next episode Carlos dyes his hair blue

It's kind of in keeping with the show and means the people that have seen the next episode can still get some enjoyment out of the forums :)

(The two spoilers above are both false, it's actually Dillon that dyes his hair blue)
Flag
1. Seems like, but he's not wrong in his actions, so, who cares about his motivations? Did Escher buy him beachfront property in Lagos? Not important.
2. I don't know that he so much had a change of heart as he's just young. He'll harden as he ages.
3. Eh, probably. Don't really care about Chen at all.
Flag
"I'd choose Kellog. He's a sleaze, but at least he's a lovable sleaze. Plus: Better the devil you know than the one you don't."
Oh, if you only knew....
Flag
Did Garza use her sternum piercing to pick her handcuffs? Also, did we see Garza's cleavage with that piercing ahead of that scene or did it come out of nowhere?
Flag
When she visited future Alec the metal detector went off and she had to hand her nipple piercings over to Kiera.
Flag
This I recall, but if that's where her nipple was she should look into a wardrobe that provides better support.
Flag
LOL, nah it wasn't that "low"

You saw her reach into her cleavage.

Meanwhile trying to disconnect those things while handcuffed has to be a difficult (was she trying it one-handed?) so she probably had to put more of her hand in there to get the thing disconnected.

Flag
I just don't think her hand was long enough to reach where her nipples should have been. Even if she could have reached, it would have been with the fingertips, not enough to remove a nipple piercing with one hand, I think.
Flag
Saf,

Yeh but keep in mind her hands were handcuffed and she was trying to be non-chalant about it in case (I imagine) she thought she was still be monitored.

So on a monitor, going up the top might seem like she was "adjusting" herself. Meanwhile, one hand goes in and the other is still up top due to the cuffs.

But whatever, it's been a few days since I saw the scene. Maybe it was more awkward than I'm remembering.
Flag
Exactly. Cleavage. Far away from where a nipple should be.
Flag
Yes he does seem shifty now...makes you wonder what bill of goods or what issue Escher played on to have it be the first bad police station. Oh and for the very first time in the intro I actually noticed Piron. Has it always been there? Is it a change and if so do we think its a purposeful change or one the show just added.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Julian kind of became a Gandhi type leader and the fact that there are now criminal forces working to undercut Travis and I think Sonya is playing too small might help turn the mission into one we can get behind totally. But I think things will get out of Julien's control.

I think he is totally dead and is totally a freelancer. Now I am not sure if there is something the freelancers are doing that allows them to download their consciousness into electronics (Sheldon Cooper assumes by before Kiera's time we can do that so people from further in time can definitively do it). Or that Lucas is going insane..he needs a storyline and he thought he was talking to Agame last week.
Flag
Of course who needs a good memory when you have youtube?
Season one intro sequence has a city fly over shot and in the background in neon lights PIRC, well less a C more like half an O
Flag
I can't remember if Piron was mentioned or in the opening credits in season one. But Piron was mentioned in the first couple of epidoes this seasons and it's been in the open sequence all this season.
Flag
Piron was mentioned in Season one. They were responsible for hoarding food to drive up prices in 2077.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm