We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Right, so just to be on the safe side, let me again say this upfront:

This recap contains SPOILERS from the season 3 of Continuum. Since not everyone watches the show on the Canadian schedule, there will be those of you who haven’t seen it yet or who are not caught up to the current episode. That’s why I am telling you upfront:

DON’T CONTINUE READING IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE OF EPISODE 8 WHEN IT AIRS IN THE US.

Since the show started airing in the US by now and for those of you from the US, here are the links to the previous season 3 recaps: Episode Episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

--------- Spoilers Ahead -------------

Well bugger me. After that episode last week which was rather slow on action but big on character development Continuum built even more momentum this week. We got to see the consequences of Kiera’s awakening. But that is not all we got to see. Apart from Kiera’s 180, Dillon accelerated even fast towards being a proper fascist. Liber8 and Garza especially were put into defensive mode and the shit basically just hit the fan.

There was more than one scene this week where I thought “damn” – in a positive way. There were some big moments in this episode as far as story- and character-development go. I’ll go more into the details of what I thought when the scenes come up in the recap.

We start the episode off with another flash-forward of Kiera, this time to when she was part of a team that raided a peaceful and rather benign gathering of people who wanted to protect a “heritage building”. What made it relevant was, that Kiera’s mom was one of those people and she outright refused Kiera’s offer to get her out unseen. Quite the opposite, she wanted to be arrested it seems. To what point we don’t really know, but it seems that in the aftermath of last week’s developments this was to remind us that Kiera is about to “rebel” her own way.

At the same time, her mother tells her: “It’s OK to be wrong, but eventually you have to own up.” Well, that was a nice prediction for what was about to happen in the rest of the episode.

After that we got that cool transitional shot from future Vancouver to today’s skyline while panning from her mom to Kiera in her flat. I’m just mentioning it because I really liked it :)

First up in the “now” we have another Firing Point TV-discussion that Dillon clearly won, even though Theseus made some good points in my view.

Somehow I expected Theseus to be wittier but I guess the story required him to lose this round and that’s ok.

After we saw Curtis escape the glass-box last week, this week he calls Kiera out of the blue and makes weird and veiled announcements or threats. “You’ve had so many opportunities and so little insight, we’re going to have to fix that” Say what?
After that we are in the Fermitas boardroom when a board meeting takes place and suddenly all doors lock and a gas is pumped in via the air ducts.

The result is 12 dead in a corporation and Dillon and Kiera immediately get on it and start looking for the bad guys Liber8. Wasn’t the secretary cute when she said: “call someone”? :D

Right, just to screw with our heads, the next board meeting we are shown is over at Piron with Alec at the helm. No, they don’t get gassed as well, they get steamrolled by a sharp and witty Alec that wants to outfit everyone with their own surveillance health bracelet. To get the funding he basically bluffs all the board members except for Dillon who figures the bluff out.

Looks like Dillon now has some leverage over Alec. Who knows what he might be able to do with that leverage. That whole scene also sparked a new theory in my brain: Since right now SAD-Tech basically doesn’t exist anymore, might it be possible that Dillon will force Alec out of Piron at some point? It also seems like Alec is still a bit naïve about stuff.

Strangely, this week the ongoing investigation is led by Dillon and Kiera. Dillon immediately suspects Liber8 while Kiera does the exact opposite as she suggest that the recent M.O. seems to indicate someone else’s involvement.

Our friend Carlos is on a different case this week. He is investigating a whistleblower from Sonmanto and he is supposed to evaluate if the information that is made available is reliable.

Neither Betty nor Kiera can find any connection between the gas attack and Liber8, on the contrary, Liber8 issues a press release of sorts that states that they had nothing to do with said attack. Dillon is not ready to buy that and asks Betty to make contact with Lucas.
At this point we still cannot be sure that last week’s awakening really influenced Kiera. At this point she is still acting the way she always has been.

Kiera asks Betty to try and track Curtis and she agrees to outsource that for her. We also get a bit of backstory to Betty and how she came to be in the department. If that wasn’t some bad foreshadowing, seems that once again a character gets a backstory just in time for her death. Well, more on that later.

Next up is Curtis as he shows up at while Kellog is having some soup (!!) in a random soup place. He basically threatens Kellog into working for him. But what exactly Curtis is working on or towards we still don’t know. He seems to be Continuum’s wildcard, sort of like Helena on Orphan Black, and maybe just as crazy.

On a side note: is that yellow stuff in the glass supposed to be beer? If yes, I am seriously sorry for you Canadians. That looks like some seriously stale colored water if I’m friendly :)

In an effort to track down the Sonmanto whistle blower, Carlos talks to Julian over at the TV-studio. Julian then has (and that’s the only reason I mention it) a funny line with some real-world relevance: “A wrapsheet and an opinion gets anyone on TV”. Because the whistle blower has been calling Julian and Carlos is on the case, Julian sets them both up to talk to each other.

Meanwhile Kellog showed up at the old lab of future-Alec where it seems Jason has been living all this time.

In an effort to build a connection or, as it turns out, spy on Piron-Alec, Kellog dresses up Jason and sends him over to Piron in order to help Alec. Once he arrives he is immediately put to work on the new health-armband that Alec is supposed to develop in two months.

Over at the VPD, Betty comes up with a suspect that is likely to have built the hardware used in the gas attack. With that intel, the police shows up at this guy Bibby’s house. As they are about to raid the place, it blows up but Kiera manages to capture the suspect.

In the following interrogation it still seems like Kiera is on her old, or rather Dillon’s side. But it also becomes fairly obvious that Dillon really wants Liber8 to be the culprit. He basically puts their names in his mouth. That seemed like the point where Kiera disagreed with Dillon. I think she read the situation correctly: Dillon offered the guy a way out, blame Liber8 – get a plea-deal.

When Lucas makes contact with Betty, he asks her to find a connection between Sonmanto and Fermitas. Because Dillon can’t or won’t give up that info, Lucas and Liber8 are going another way.

Overall Betty really seems to be working hard to regain the trust of Dillon and the VPD. I’m not exactly sure why she does that except to get rid of her ankle monitor.
Meanwhile Garza is following this guy:

He is the guy that was watching the police raid on Bibby’s place earlier and presumably triggered the explosion. I’m not sure if he knows about the time travel stuff or even if he saw Kiera use her multitool. But when he gets the drop on Garza we learn that he sure knows how to fight. We only learn later why Garza was following him, but it is immediately obvious that he works for someone, someone other than Liber8, and that he is not to be trifled with. Anyway, the fight between Garza and that guy was great.

When Carlos finally meets with the whistle blower he gets the information that she is willing to leak. Not only that but he also gets laid. WHAT? That was the first time anyone ever had any sexy-time on Continuum as far as I can remember.

When that guy shows up at the VPD in order to file charges against Garza for assaulting him, we learn that he is ex-Navy Seal working as a mercenary for a private security company. In a moment when everyone is distracted, he places what can only be a listening device, in the VPD office. It seems that was the real reason why he was there. No one, not even Kiera catches on.

Even though Dillon and Kiera both agree the guy is connected to the gas attack, the main difference being that Dillon is convinced that Liber8 hired him while Kiera believes that Liber8 wouldn’t do that and that a merc rather points towards a different perpetrator.

After the broadcast with the files from the whistle blower airs and Sonmanto gets some bad press, we see Julian as he chats with Diana Bolton again and we learn that the whole thing was a setup, the info was fake and the woman and Sonmanto basically played everyone. That not only discredits Julian, it also puts a strange light on Carlos.

In what seems like a last ditch effort, Garza shows up at Kiera’s place to talk. Yes, you heard right, Garza had a conversation that took longer than 3 seconds and did not involve fighting. Amazing :) – I’m really liking the way they take Garza because her just being a female Travis was getting old and boring. Now she, as a character, seems to get more three dimensional, relatable and interesting. I’m really looking forward to how the Garza – Kiera relationship develops further.

Anyway, she once again explains to Kiera that Liber8 had no part in the gas attack and that Lucas found a job-posting in the dark corners of the web for that job. Liber8 suspects that they are being assigned the blame in an effort to reverse the ground and popularity they have been gaining with their current less-lethal tactics. She asks Kiera to look into it and figure out who really is behind the attack and cover-up. Garza finally agrees to forward any info Liber8 uncovers on the issue.

When Garza offers Kiera a handshake and calls her “partner” she takes it a step to far for Kiera. This is the point where we can be sure after all, that last week’s wake-up-call had a big and lasting impact on how Kiera views the world. At the same time it tells us that she is not willing to be partners with Liber8, she is on the other hand, interested in the truth and in bringing the responsible party to justice. For that, she is willing to trust Liber8 to a certain extent. With knowing Liber8’s goals and season 3 M.O. she is willing to draw certain conclusion even if they ultimately exonerate Liber8 to a certain extent.

I think that is a very good was to go forward for Kiera as a character. She did change her world view, but it doesn’t completely change what the character was all about: being a police officer trying to protect the innocent. This, to me, is a realistic, believable and not to radical development.

Back at the VPD, when Kiera tells this newly acquired info to Betty, she is as surprised as we were that Kiera seemingly “switched horses”. We can also see in the background that more and more Piron stuff is being moved in over at the VPD.
Carlos on the other hand has not such a good morning. When he wakes up, the girl is gone and he finds this:

On the phone he gets the info that everything was a plant and that Sonmanto and the woman played him. Poor guy – but at least he has her phone number, and when Carlos tracks her down, she still asks him for a repeat performance. Well, Carlos, what will it be? Conscience or sexy time or will he (as I suspect) use her as some sort of source or inside contact in the future? What do you think?

When Carlos finally shows up at the VPD, Dillon is ready to dismiss his failure. From his point of view, the whole thing has worked in their favor because the whole thing discredited Julian, the whistle blower and what he calls “the Sonmanto nay-sayers” – whoever they might be.

When Kiera tells Dillon that it seems that Liber8 approached his daughter for recruitment, he (predictably) reacts very mildly and just wants to be kept up to date. Kiera does become suspicious of that almost immediately.
I bet, coupled with the strange reading she got of her CMR while interviewing the daughter back when she was caught, that whole plot will not remain a secret for very long.

Betty finally figures out who the merc is: His name is Neelon (according to IMDb) and he has been a merc for a long time, working for Greypoint Security. Greypoint – Blackwater, not exactly close but it seems like the analogy the show was going for. When Betty suggest a connection between Sonmanto, Greypoint and Fermitas, Dillon basically ticks out and orders them to pin the whole thing on Liber8.

When Betty comes up with the info that Sonmanto owns Greypoint, the picture starts to clear up a lot for Kiera, Carlos and Alec. The Bibby guy from the start of the episode also requested a meeting. All this is discussed at the desk where Neelon planted the bug, so basically he heard everything. That becomes apparent in the last scene.

Garza then again does something un-Garza like, she tracks down Julian and confronts him. She wants him to toughen up and take charge of his own life. Garza this week was almost the comic relief of Continuum – how does that happen? But she is right, Julian is “about as threatening as a head cold right now” and if he wants to become the Julian from 2077 (and before) he seriously has to reconsider his approach to rebellion.

I’m not sure if Garza is just following Sonya’s orders or if she comes up with these little missions on her own, but I like how they are using her.

Carlos and Kiera basically put everything about the gas attack together but they don’t have any solid evidence that points to one or more people that they can arrest. Carlos then also realizes that, had he and Kiera been working together on the whistleblower thing, Kiera would immediately have realized that they are being lied to. Therefore they suspect that Dillon knew all this was going to happen and therefore deliberately split them apart.

I agree, and that does have further implications: either Dillon knows about Kiera and her lie-detection skills (and therefore her CMR) or he is simply following some else’s orders on the issue. When they both finally confront Dillon with everything they figured out he ignores it all. He seems set on blaming Liber8 and ignoring any and all wrongdoing by the corporations.

In the last scene, Carlos, Kiera and Betty go out to have drink after a late night working on some seriously complex conspiracy-boards. And not to forget, Betty finally did get rid of her ankle bracelet.

When Bibby contacts them and wants to meet Betty (Bibby and Betty…LOL) this happens:

Neelon not only kills Bibby, he also kills Betty. Kills her dead. Man, that is tragic. She finally got her freedom again, found partners in Kiera and Carlos and could not even enjoy her beer. Poor Betty. Someone just made a serious enemy in Kiera and Carlos.
And that brings me to my next theory: Could it be that those two, Kiera and Carlos, with Julian become the movement that in 2077 is known as Theseus and that will ultimately loose the war against the corporations? A third party in the conflict between corporations and Liber8 would make sense. A side that is neither terrorist nor corporation, but rather interested in civil liberties and the truth? We’ll see.

Questions of Time:

• Will Dillon use his leverage over Alec? How?
  • What is Curtis’ all about?
  • Will Theseus, Kiera and Carlos end up together as a team?
  • Ok you ladies among us, shirt-less Carlos: hot or not?

Oh and just to let you people know, some of the issues we had previously, have been addressed by people working on Continuum:

• The thing about an antidote to a chemical weapon was addressed by none other than Simon Barry himself in a tweet.
  • The question of how Kiera knows about stuff that happened when she wasn’t present in last week’s episode was addressed by a writer on IMDb.
I thought that was pretty neat that they adressed those issues at all. Doesn't happen very often.

Also, just to remind you, with every episode Showcase will release a webisode. If and when I find a link that is accessible outside of Canada, I will post it in the comments or in the next recap.

Thank you for joining me again this week. Lets first vote on the quality of this weeks episode and then discuss it in the comments!

poll

58 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well said on the first 2 comments, feel bad for Betty damn, Kelloggs a bitch with no life
Flag
Awww poor Betty, I liked her :-(
Flag
I usually don't comment on sites but I am such a fan of this show and everyone is so respectful here =) Thanks so much for recapping it. Just a few thoughts:
-- Kiera's transformation. I think it's believable and the writers have it planned. The way I see it she is seeing her past (our future) with new eyes now and so are we. She had her little moments of rebellion i.e. rescuing the little girl in the fire but overall her world view was still to keep the status quo. She accepted whatever punishment and moved on. However, now as she discovers the extent of the corruption, she is remembering things her family said or events with new eyes so to speak. Example, discovering that Sonmanto (sp?) created the poison which they then "cured". By the way can you have antibodies to a non biological chemical? Medically I don't think that's how that works but I digress...
She's holding her cards close to the vest right now to continue to figure things out trying to see who is on what "side". Smart if you ask me considering how complicated these relationships are. She can't afford to lose her police resources...and heaven knows if she is working with the "right" Alec.
-- Timeline continuity. Also have not see particular issues with this. Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think the military and the CPS were one and the same. Although they may have been funded by the same entities and use similar technologies. I thought to get her family out of debt, she joined the military to fight "the war". After that she became part of CPS. Didn't think CPS had "super soldiers" although they do have a chip implanted as well. I'll have to go back to the first season to figure it out. So we see flashbacks both to the war and to her time as CPS and we are not always told explicitly which thing we are seeing at that moment. And this time period from when she joined to when she time traveled could have covered a good dozen years from before she met her husband to when her son was somewhere around 9 or 10 years old. Personally I don't think her memories are changing due to the time travel. What she experienced is what she experienced.

Feel free to disagree - just my two cents!
More+
Flag
Just found this continuum blog, glad I did. Great review of this episode, I'm really glad I found this community that loves this series as much as I do :-).
Flag
Thanks, and welcome.
Flag
A pondering, I keep wondering this season why we are seeing all these particular flashforwards where things just seem different for Kiera. At first I was thinking this was just younger Kiera, but then last week, she had her kid already. Previous flashforwards indicated while she wasn't in uniform, she was almost a real housewife. So, I guess my question gets to, have things changed already in the future.

Anyway...I'm sorry about Betty. But what is kind of interesting is because they have given Carlos so many issues, I almost think Kiera is the one who eventually becomes the person who Thesesus turns to. Like one of the last Carlos scenes we saw last season was him showing up at Julian and Alec's home and being welcomed in.

I presume that Curtis is behind the gassing, but I am not sure exactly what his game plan is. Like, sure he is about as much of a freelancer as Kiera is, but he is not exactly Liber8 either. But enabling Piron to become more powerful and then taking out Betty as a way to hinder Liber8....was he maybe partners with Esher? I do remember in some of Esher's ramblings that he indicated he was part of a group of people not just himself. Like, a whole collective of former freelancers. I'm not sure what purpose Kellogg is serving to them exactly. Oh, speaking of, remember he and Kiera had sex at the end of season 1. That would be the only other time I remember it, there really was never even any mention that Alec and Emily actually did anything.

But I could see a mistake that Kiera and Liber8 make, that maybe there comes to a point where they say, they need to fight fire with fire, break Alec out of freelancer jail to try and set up Sadtech with a different mission in mind. But that could be something Curtis is anticipating so he makes sure Kellogg stays put and steals the technology for the health maintenance bracelets for Sadtech.
More+
Flag
I have also begun to wonder if the future has already started to change. I am also -seriously- jonesing to know more about Escher, and I really would like to see him pop in again, a la Curtis. As to what Curtis is up to, I believe there was mention in the show of the possibility that whoever was behind the gas attacks was trying to pit corporations against each other, with the end goal of disrupting the process that led to corporations united into the Corporate Congress of the future.
Flag
Thanks for the review! It has taken me at least 3 sittings to get through this episode--not because it was boring but because I kept watching it late at night and falling asleep before the end. So I kept losing the thread a bit and the plot line.

Nooo! Betty was killed. (sad face) I admit that totally surprised me.

I have a hard time believing that an ex-Navy SEAL would have allowed himself to get his butt kicked by Garza, although I suppose it was just as a means to get into the VPD to file a complaint in order to plant his bug.

And is it my imagination or has some of the language gotten a bit bluer/coarser than in the past two seasons? Have the Canadian standards loosened up a bit over the last couple of years?
Flag
I honestly didn't notice the coarse language thing. I'll try and pay attention to it next episode, but I honestly don't get the american obsession with banning what some consider "bad" language.
Flag
I'm watching the show online and more or less in sync with the Canadian schedule. This most recent episode--and maybe one or two prior--it struck me that there seemed a bit more foul language than I remember from the first two seasons. Now, nothing like the f-bomb, but not the sort of language that I imagine would usually be allowed by the American FCC for a standard (i.e. non-cable) TV syndicate. I'm not bothered by it but it did seem a little more prevalent than I had previously remembered.

If it's aired in the U.S. under a cable channel, then I would think the coarser language is left as is. Otherwise I would expect some of it would be bleeped out or done over with some euphamisms.
Flag
I think it airs on Syfy in the US, which I belive is a cable channel. But I watch online as well, so I'm not exactly sure either.
Flag
I honestly don't get how some people see this season as a decline in quality or "story being made up as they go". I think it's the best season yet and the narrative is just natural progression. You have to move the story forward. If we had Keira still just chasing Liber8 with and the goal to "go home" 3 seasons in, THAT would be a decline in quality.
Flag
I completely agree. I love the new intro music, and I think the story, always good, is now better then ever before. I absolutely love the fact that we are able to see the motivations of everyone, and how the most important stuff happens in the tempestuous place where the various sides meet, from such as Garza's conversations with Kira and Julian's conversations with various people (Kira and Carlos above all I think).
Flag
Right? I love this show! It is SMART.
Flag
Been reading your recaps every week and while they're usually pretty good, the spelling and grammar mistakes are getting a tad irritating. I presume English is not your first language? If so, that's fair enough. If it is, then you really should proof read it before you publish it. There are even errors on the images. Just thought I'd put it out there. Not having a go, just some constructive criticism.

More on topic, I think the show has really lost it's way. Season One was great. Season Two was just as good. This season is a huge misstep. None of the storylines are coherent and, most of the time, I don't really understand what's going on and I'm not stupid. I can follow and understand most things. Not this though. I've been puzzled since the first episode.

I don't think the writers had this season mapped out and we're starting to create on the fly. I hope they can pull it all together but I have my doubts.
More+
Flag
Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I'm sorry about any mistakes but as you guessed, English is not my first language. Unfortunately there is no one close by with the time and skills to proof read. I also don't want to take to long to publish the whole thing.
I try to proof read the whole thing myself as good as I can, but mistakes will slip through. Considering this is still user-generated content and it already takes 4h of my free time on mondays to write a recap, I think (hope) I'm not doing to bad, quality wise. Also, it's not like posts from people with english as their first language are always mistake-free ;-)
I will try and improve by taking more time to spell check and proof read, but there is no guarantee that mistakes will be eliminated.

On to the storyline issue: I know it is somewhat of a change from s1/2 but I think it was necessary for the show to change course a bit. I think this season is an effort to expand the show's universe and at the same time be less procedural in each episode. To me, that is a good thing because having Kiera and Carlos just chase Liber8 each season and not really get very far (they only got Curtis and Jaworsky) would get boring and stale very fast. I think a (and especially this) change in a character like Kiera really is logically consistent with what she experienced in her time in the present.
I agree that there is a lot about the timetravel that we do not yet understand or that doesn't fit any timetravel theory but I just hope that those issues will clear up at some point.

More +
Flag
Cool. I wasn't having a dig just thought I'd point it out to you. Tried my best to not make it sound like I was being a dick about it. Hope you didn't think I was.

I agree with you about the storyline too. I guess we'll see if it all ties up neately. I hope it does.
Flag
Don't worry, I detected no dickishness :)

I'm just glad to get any feeback at all, this week has been especially slow in comments, hearts and in poll-votes. There is nothing I can do about that I guess, except hope for next week
Flag
Well I'll pop up every week and chime in :) Good work :)
Flag
I think this is the smartest season yet.
Flag
"were starting to create on the fly". Thank you iPad auto-correct for making my comment very ironic.
Flag
Betty's dead. That's gonna change things even more
Keira, Carlos & Dillon will break apart
Flag
i was getting so bored with show, now something exciting is happening the writing it might perk up my interest a bit more, i just hope they don't keep referring to previous episodes in this series as i was really wasn't paying attention to them. also why is LOOSE being used by so many people instead of LOSE..?
Flag
I have no idea why that extra "o" keeps creeping in there... ;)
Flag
That was the first time anyone ever had any sexy-time on Continuum as far as I can remember.

Kellog and Kiera in season 1. Alec and Emily in season 2. ;)

Two things that stuck out. One is another case of reference for the benefit of US audience. While it's possible former US Navy Sealwould work for Canadian mercenary company it's not that likely. Seems like writers went for cliche that would be in line with US-based show.

Another I I'm really starting to dislike what is happening to Kiera's character. Not character as such, she's becoing more aware and sympathetic, but the fact that this just doesn't make sense. In this season her flashbacks show her as more and more sceptical of whole corporate future. Be it contraband incident, fire, Gleamers or this ep. But where was this scepticism in previous two seasons where she was willing enforcer of corporate future in present?

No matter how you slice it her changed attitude doesn't make sense. Is she still trying to bring about "her" 2077? Then she should be backing Dillon fully as he's going in that direction. Did she see that her future is dystopian, not utopian as she thought? If so when did that happen? When did she start admiring freedoms people still have in 2014? In past seasons she was dismissive of them, going as far as to say "they will be gone anyway". Is it her work with Freelancers? Considering their mission is keeping timeline intact she should be working toward corporate future. Is it Jaworski? That would have to be combination of her recognising 2014 is better, freedoms wise, than 2077 (see above) and recognising she was a corporate drone (see above). Even if she recognised she isn't going "home" then working agaisnt corporate world would still require her recognising 2014 is better than 2077.

Also how did Bibby get out? Considering he was arrested for terrorism I seriously doubt he would be released right away. Also could Dillon make that deal? I thought it requires public prosecutor (DA for US) to decide what and who will go to trial and for what, not investigating police. Even if he made a deal with Dillon that would come in play later. Not to mention Dillon wouldn't have him released so he could vanish and welsh on his deal.

Overall a below average ep.
More+
Flag
I'm fuzzy on the recollection, but the sexy time between Kiera and Kellogg was more implied than graphically portrayed unlike in this episode. Not that I'm complaining or anything.
Flag
I think article ment "shown as having happened", as in clearly stating two characters had sex. even if we don't see the actual act.
Flag
Regarding Keira's scepticism: We do not know if the flashbacks that we are seeing are from the original timeline or from this new one. Maybe everything Keira (and Alec) is doing in the present slightly shifts what happens/happened in the future.
Flag
They are from Kiera's original timeline. The Kiera that any changes might affect (if the show used Back to the Future rules) is dead. People in the past are unaffected by the changes they make because they start new timelines when they time travel. The old timeline continues to exist after they go as long as the person leaving isn't really important like Alec.
Flag
"If the show used Back to the Future rules" - IF -

There still hasn't been anything (in the flashbacks/flashforwards) to fully confirm nor deny my theory either.
Flag
@LaurenLS Oh I get it. That why I included IF in both of my statements. :-)
Flag
They haven't shown any evidence that what is changing in Kiera's present is affecting the thoughts of the future young Kiera. (Yes its confusing, flashbacks to the future and multiple copies of people) All of the flashbacks look like business as usual and don't have any references to what happens after the time travel.

The show doesn't use the same rules as Back to the Future. ("If they used" means they don't, "if they are using" means IDK) In the first season Kellog's grandmother is killed and nothing happens to him. He doesn't start to disappear like Marty does when his parents don't get together. At the end of last season/beginning of this one, the Freelancers tell us how time works in the show. Going back in time creates new timelines and changes only happen to the new timeline. So when Kiera and Liber8 went back to 2012, they went to a new 2012 and the timeline they left behind remained unchanged. Old timelines can collapse if important people travel out of them and the Freelancers try to keep all timelines as similar to each other as possible. I'm not sure the reason behind this if the old timeline is not affected but maybe timelines converge with each other if they are similar enough.
More +
Flag
Well, I think last weeks episode tried to explain to us what caused Kiera's change of mind. And yes, I think she now sees 2014 differently than before and I dout she is still trying to maintain the timeline and do the Freelancer's work which ultimatively means she will no longer be going home to her family in 2077.
Flag
To be honest, I have this feeling that she may end up going home to her family. But regardless, I'd like to call attention to all of the strange things that happened in the pilot episode. Some points to consider from the pilot: remember how old Alec Sadler said that it had been too long to meet Kiera? It -sounds- like he'd already met her in the past. This suggests that that scene was already a deviation from the original timeline. If Escher is Alec's father, why is he younger than him and -working- for the older Alec Sadler? It only gets me more curious as to what he meant when he said that time travel was the family business at the end of Season 2. Another point from the pilot: Remember how Greg Cameron, Kiera's husband didn't want Kiera to be a guard for the prisoners? How his wish was secretly over ruled by Alex Sadler, how Greg became agitated upon realizing that she was going to be going in after all? Was this just concern for his wife being with dangerous prisoners, or did he -know- that if she went in there, something was going to happen to her? I can easily imagine all of these questions being answered in the end to this. But regardless if Kiera ends up going back or not, I think I'm going to enjoy the ride, wherever she may end up :-)
More +
Flag
Old Alec says "It's long overdue". I think it means he knew about her, had his eyes on her but never met her in person. There are couple of scenes where he looks at her file and talks about her.

I don't think Escher worked for Old Alec. I think you are confusing him with future Jason (Alec's son). As for "time travel is family business" he could be refering to present Alec preparing to time travel.

It's possible Greg knew something will go down. In flashbacks it looks he was pretty high up Sadler Tech and cozy with Sadler. So he may have known something. Not everything, obviously, jsut that something is planned.

As for deviations from original tieline, i mentioned Oroboros killers earlier. I original timeline they were never caught and killed tens of people. But Kiera solves that case, catches them and keeps their body count lower.
Flag
Some great points there. Escher was definitely a time-traveler (we know he was a freelancer) so that might explain the age issue but nice catch!
Yes I think there's a lot more to Greg to be revealed. I always re watch the older episodes. I think Continuum is one of those shows where you have to really pay attention and know your facts. And I love any show that demands such an intense viewing experience. Even small details end up being relevant. It is one of the smartest science fiction shows out there.
And I don't say that lightly.
Flag
Re: Sexy time. Carlos also got laid in Season 1 with that journalist who got killed. Plus this isn't the first time we've seen Carlos shirtless. In that same episode of S1, he was completely naked in the shower (whilst participating in a full on naked tussle) when Garza (I believe) nearly suffocated him with a plastic bag.
Im a lady and I didn't think Carlos was "hot" at all until he got some character development. Now I really like him and I think his handsome. But bulky shirtless guys are not really my thing. The whole six pack thing has never appealed to me. Even when I was a teenager. I like smarts over looks and I prefer a tall but skinny frame. Or a little toned but I'm generally not into big muscles. In fact I find them plastic and off putting. Lol Just thought I'd add that since you asked "what the ladies think".

P.S. You're reviews are great. Don't worry about people nit picking at spelling. You don't get paid to do this and you don't have an editor or proof reader. I imagine this takes up a lot of time as it is. Since TV.com is not "officially" covering Continuum, I think we should all be grateful to you for taking the time to do it yourself. :-) So thank you.
More +
Flag
I guess I totally forgot about the sexy times in s1/2. It is a rare occasion on Continuum though and I just noticed.

As far as spelling goes, I try to be as thorough as possible in spellchecking myself, but there is only so much you can do. I will try and improve. And since you mentioned it: it takes me about 4h to do one of these, including watching the episode two times.

Thank YOU for the priase, for reading and for commenting ! There is nothing worse than putting in all that work and getting no feedback or reaction from readers at all.
Flag
You're most welcome. My feedback might be late but I always read your review. I try to comment whenever I can. :-)
Flag
But isn't Freenlancers' mission to maintain timeline? So they would be working toward corporate 2077. Providing of course time travel is a loop, not multiverse.

As for her changes, I understand what you are saying, I just think change was too sudden without showing why she changed opinion. She didn't say "You know, freedom of speech you guys have here is pretty awesome. I like it."

What I think it's happening is writers moved beyond the point up to which they had developed concept when show was pitched. So now they make the story as they go rather than flesh out existing storyline.
Flag
The changes to Kiera's character are pretty much all from this season. The only thing really strange about it is that a lot of them take place in the future before she went back in time. Except when we see her in seasons 1 and 2, after these things had happened, she is very pro-government and pro-corporation. Still its interesting and I want to see what happens next.

Also I don't think they are making it up as they go. They should and probably do have the story planned out for the whole season before filming it and possibly the next seasons.
Flag
You are rraising points I mentioned several times so far. This is a common trope (or mistake) in time travelling shows, we see flashbacks who are progressively changing character's position but they ignore that these are part of their relative past and as such part of their character when they time tavel. And the main issue I have with this season is that future Kiera is being shown as increasingly sceptical of 2077 government despite that in seasons 1 and 2 she was very supportive.

As for making story up as they go I think that initially show had story developed for first two seasons. Once it got renewed for season 3 writers had to develop it further without having any outline to work on. You can notice certain changes in overall story. Kiera's changes (mentioned above), her realising she likely isn't going back to 2077, whole Freelancers story arch, Piron subplot.... Even Liber8 is taking backseat with their members getting little screen time. I'm not saying these changes are bad, I just noticed them.

Plus changed intro with it's Civilisation-like music. :)
Flag
It is the Freelancer's mission, but that does not necessarily mean Kiera will adhere to it. Remember she only became a Freelancer out of necessity on the one hand and wanting to go home to 2077 on the other. If both those motivations disapear (especially the "go home to 2077 motivation) it is plausible that she will no longer follow the Freelancer's mission.
Well, it basically took Kiera 2,5 seasons to change her opinion. But realistically, the change has been in the works since the start of this season, so it took her more like 7 episodes. that's not to quick in my book...
Flag
I'm late to this conversation but I basically agree with your view. Can you imagine having your entire world view blown to bits? Being ripped from your family to a very "foreign" place - what would I feel like traveling back to something like 1949? It would take me quite a long while to accept that that the future I knew no longer existed and perhaps even SHOULD NOT exist. But there would be a tipping point somewhere along the line and she hit it after that second jump. Maybe it's just me but I think there were hints during season 1 and 2. Events of season 3 tipped the balance. Now her view has been greatly expanded after that second jump and it had to happen "quickly". She doesn't have a choice anymore but to question everything she thought she knew - the 2 Alec situation and seeing herself killed off really forced it IMO. Anyway, I think she is finally sensing during this season's story that there is a great deal more at stake than just her ability to get home. I trust the writers to get us all there =)
Flag
Well, even if she doesn't share her views with Dillon there are still others she could confide in. Carlos, Alec, Kellog. Hell, even with Freelancers.

It's jsut that I'd like to see something more concrete from her part in this change. not jsut slow drift toward such views without us actually seeing why this is happening.
Flag
You are right on that, she is - not yet at least - very vocal about her views. But I think that is also smart, especially with the VPD and around Dillon. I don't think he would appreciate that and it would certainly cause him to really distrust her.
As is common in a police state, there is usually a big difference between the public and private opinion of a person. I think Kiera might be more open with Carlos in the future, as they now share views .
Flag
I see your point, it's just that we didn't see Kiera starting to appreciate 2014 society over 2077 one. It may be happening off-screen but would be better if we'd see it.

Carlos is the one most vocal about people still having rights, even criticising his own department when he sees it going over the line. Kiera still seems pro-2077, only less vocal about it and maybe recognising to herself that future isn't all that she thought it was. but, as I said, she doesn't exactlly say 2014 is better.
Flag
No, no no no no. Not Betty.
You can't do that.
Flag
Nine call on the pale Canadian beer. I'm Brazilian, the beer is super strong and it was shocking. Also I learned there are Navy Seals Mercenaries in Canada too. Where are all the extra polite Mounties wearing red we've heard so much about
Flag
Nine call = Nice call
Flag
well, I guessed that ;)
Flag
Juss on off thuse dammed tipos!
Flag
This was a very good setup episode. Everyone's plans are being formed and the new alliances are pretty interesting. They've been pushing Kiera toward sympathizing with Liber8 for a few episodes, and Carlos too, but now we see them all starting to work together. And Dillon's corporate protectionism is off the charts.

I really want to know what Kellog is up too. And is Curtis the same Curtis that died or another version from a different time?
Flag
Well, when Kellog asks him that exact question, Curtis says he is the same one that Kellog set up to die. So yes, it's the same Curtis, if you believe Curtis :)
Flag
Yeah, I'm not sure I believe him. He knows they think he's dead so he could be using that even though he's not the same Curtis.
Flag
True.
Flag
What do we know of how the freelancers started out? I believe the woman who kind of heads it briefly related to Kira how it started, but I can't remember what was said and I definitely think she didn't say too much on the subject. I'm pretty sure time travel was involved, and the back story of this may prove to be -very- interesting.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members