A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

OK you readers from the US, I have been informed that you will only be able to see this episode on Friday, so you need to look out if you don't want any spoilers!

Still, you are very welcome to come back and read / discuss after the show has aired wherever you live.

--------------Spoilers Ahead -------------

SHIT IS GOING DOWN. Seriously.

Let me say a couple of words before I start the recap for real:

After last week’s episode I listened to the Continuum podcast which airs on Thursdays I think, so after I write my recaps, somewhere in the comments I stumbled upon an observation that I thought was worth sharing with you all:

Taltos writes:
“I'm pretty sure Jason was looking at Kiera's Freelancer dots, not her lack of wedding ring:
Jason: Freelancers... I saw them, then poof... somebody else, just like that. Ooh... [looks at Kiera's hands] Touchy subject, I know.”

I don’t know why I missed that, but in hindsight it seems like such an obvious thing.
That’s stuff from last week, now to this week’s episode:

Usually I skip the recap at the beginning of an episode but this time it seems worth mentioning that we see some of the stuff that happened 3 month ago. It seems that 3 month ago was when the Freelancers took the bodies from the morgue and reanimated (let’s call it that) Curtis. WTF? Do you remember when that happened? Back in episode 2x07! I certainly was surprised to read that, as I had to look it up. Time moves a lot faster in real life than on Continuum.

He looks old with his dreads, but take a closer look at his hands. They look very young as in not wrinkly and well manicured. The first person who comes to mind when looking at these hands is Alec. But we don’t learn his real identity for now. He does look a bit robot-y with the lights on his chest, and Catherine later confirms that when she talks about “technology that is in him”. Creepy. But in this particular moment, in the pic above, I think he looked very much like Darth Vader.

What does he do? He brings Curtis back to life by placing his hand on his head. Damn. That’s not exactly aDarth Vader move, but still impressive. Especially considering that Warren from the Freelancers places a sheet over Curtis’ head because he can’t look at it.

When Curtis, after his reanimation, has a conversation with Catherine, it becomes obvious that Curtis at this point did not know Catherine. She tells him that the technology inside HIM brought Curtis back and that he was “merged”. Merged with what? With his other selves in other timelines? And how does that create a functioning body out of what I suspect was a decomposing corpse?

Anyway, it seems Curtis did not really find a way to cheat death, he had at least some help with that.

It seems that Alec has only recently been tortured (or interrogated with advanced methods) and almost immediately spits out the information the Freelancers want. According to Catherine, she now wants that device because of “loose ends”. Well, I’d say you are a little late, lady.

Alec still has his wits about him though as he takes a couple of verbal shots at everyone and even stabs one of the guys in his clavicle with a pen.

At this point we just wonder what is going on, but it seems what happens at the end of the episode gets its start right here. She is disillusioned but she still tries to convince Julian to help her with a bloodless revolution and she seems to want to take on Alec and Piron one last time.

When next Kiera shows up at the Freelancer lair, she speculates on the identity of HIM (no, not god, just the guy behind the door) as well and she suspects, as some of us do, that he was the original Freelancer. What she really wants is to trade the two Alecs and for that she offers up Brad.

Dillon gets a call from Alec, who wants his time travel device back because he is the boss and well, he feels like whatever he says goes. Dillon seems not too happy about that but ultimately complies.

Julian on the other hand, while in Alec’s office, is acting like he is all happy about the way sales of Halo are shaping up. All the while he is acquiring data and stealing stuff which he promptly turns over to Sonja.

See, I thought Liber8 disbanded too easily at the end of last week’s episode. They did not really give up completely. At least Lucas and Sonja are still in contact and working together. She hands all the stuff over to him and he in turn “hacks” Halo.In this instance Sonja is quite dismissive of Julian and it almost seems like she doesn’t want him involved any further.

Next up is the next awesome moment, at least in hindsight for me after watching the episode a second time. Curtis meets up with Kellog and Kellog tells him that “it is happening today”. Therefore it seems that Kellog knows that Kiera and Brad are going to go in and get future-Alec out of the Freelancer prison. He even tells Curtis that “they will do the heavy lifting, you can piggy back.” How does he know? I could not figure it out.

Curtis in turn tells Kellog that HE “wants you to get what’s coming to you”. At first I thought that that might not be such a good thing, but then I thought maybe he was talking about Kellog’s role as Clan leader from Brad’s future. Curtis’ agenda seems to become a little clearer: He wants to break HIM out of what Curtis considers imprisonment.

On the other side of town, when Dillon assembles the orb right out in the open on his office desk he alerts the Freelancers to its location. It seems fairly obvious that Dillon is not aware of the danger he places himself in by doing that. We don’t know how much Escher or Piron Alec told him about what is going on, but I’m certain he has no idea about the Freelancers. When Kiera walks in on him, she is quite shocked by what he is doing but he basically ignores her and just tells her to redouble their efforts in capturing Liber8 now that they seem to have disbanded.

Meanwhile Lucas and Sonja come up with a plan to dissuade people from using Halo by “scaring the shit out of people”. He immediately demonstrates the effect on Sonja and she seems very convinced that this is the way to go.

Kiera tells Carlos about Dillon and the timetravel device and leaves it to him to take care of that because she has something else to do. After a somewhat ironic “Good luck” from Carlos, Kiera is off to get Alec.

In what feels like an homage to Almost Human and True Detective, Carlos and Dillon have a very honest conversation in the car while driving over to Piron. Dillon presents his motivations (naïve in my mind) and Carlos, while fingering the timetravel device, points out why he is opposed to all that and will continue to ride Dillon on that. Dillon essentially thinks that he is using the corporations and rich people in order to make the city safe but Carlos counters that their job is to work for all the people not just a few who are able to pay the police for their service.

While all this happens in what I would call the main hall of the Freelancer hideout, Curtis is lurking in the background while observing and waiting to make his move.

Kiera takes Brad into the Freelancers’ inner lair through a false wall of mail boxes or bank security deposit boxes.Her plan to use him as a pretend prisoner seems to be working, as they get in the front door without any problems.

On the inside, after taking out the first two guards with ease, Warren and the others are not as easily incapacitated. An awesome and well-choreographed fight ensues in a hallway. That was one of the best and longest fight sequences Continuum has done in a long time. LOVED IT.

He says something to Catherine but I have no idea what. Even after listening to it for three times.

Just before Sonja goes into Piron HQ, she and Travis meet up outside and have a sweet couple’s moment. Well, sweet at the time, because now we know she was essentially saying goodbye to her lover. Travis wants the two of them to "head north” and start a new life in the wilderness. Also worth noting is that the building next door, the one that Kagame bombed apparently, is shown to house the SAD-Tech Corp. as soon as the renovations are finished. My question is: who is running SAD-Tech and what are they developing?

When Sonja makes it into the server room at Piron HQ she flirts with the IT guy she runs across, gets him to leave and plugs in the virus.

A couple of floors further up from Sonja, Dillon and Carlos arrive at Alec’s office and Dillon goes in to get his briefing on Halo with the intention of handing over the timetravel device to Alec. Carlos in turn does not want anything to do with Alec and heads back to the precinct.

Meanwhile, over in the Freelancer lair, Brad gets the device Kiera confiscated during the bank heist from the beginning of the season. The two of them seem almost like an old couple with their bickering about their Plan B but it is nice to get some new comic relief. Curtis of course watches him and in turn confronts him. It seems what Brad is doing is somehow breaking the trust that used to exist between the two of them. Another great fight ensues which Brad ultimately wins by knocking Curtis out with a fire extinguisher. I don’t know if these two fight scenes are the first time that Continuum has used slowmo captures in fights, but I thought it was very well done.

When Sonja runs into Julian on her way out of Piron they have a quick chat while waiting for an elevator. Julian is still unwilling to lead the resistance movement because Jason called him a murderer. Sonja proceeds to try and convince Julian to become Theseus and resist Alec Sadler. She basically pleads with him to become the resistance leader (no, not John Connor) before telling him that he did in fact (in her relative past) kill thousands of people. But she also tries to instill the hope in him, that maybe this time around everything could turn out differently. Overall she feels that it is still important that he continue on his path.

While leaving Piron, Sonja is seen by Carlos and Kellog. Carlos proceeds to arrest her and Kellog brings the info to Dillon and Alec. In the ensuing standoff, Dillon is dead set on shooting her but Carlos handles the situation without any bloodshed.

At the same time, Kiera frees future-Alec from his glass box. He is happy to get out be he is not too happy with Kiera and her decision to put him in there in the first place. Who can blame him for that and what else did Kiera expect? The two of them basically end up blaming each other for the situation they find themselves in right now.

Their escape almost gets spoiled by Catherine and her Freelancers but then this happens:

This seems very final, but still, I wonder if HE can reanimate a guy without a heart as well. Catherine seems very confused about what is happening and clings to the order of things and her beliefs. Kiera on the other hand does not (anymore?) believe in the same things as Catherine and therefore leaves with Alec and Brad.

That was the opening Curtis has been waiting for. He kills Catherine and then heads in to free HIM or the Traveler as Catherine called him. His identity is still not revealed.
You’ve got to love this Alec’s attitude. Even in the direst of circumstances he can’t help himself but crack some jokes. The most interesting things we learn during this road trip are that Brad felt guilty about killing the other Kiera, Alec thinks it’s a good thing that SAD-Tech does not exist in Brad’s future and that Carlos is worried about Dillon and wants Kiera to help.

Sonja sees the real Dillon as a guy drunk on power and hungry for more when she tells him: “You are like every general that’s ever tasted power, you want more and you’ll destroy what is human in us to get it.”

In the end Sonja uses what she earlier injected into her arms to blow herself up and take Dillon with her. So it seems that in this episode we lost: Warren, Catherine, Dillon, Sonja and probably some more Freelancers that were not that important to the story. Or is that Dillon they wheel out of there on a gurney with his head all bandaged up? In the end Kellog seems to confirm that Dillon is dead when he says “down a board member too.” But we have to consider that in a timetravel tv-show that reanimated a cold Curtis, there always seems to be a way back to the living.

After Sonja blows up the VPD, Carlos hands over the disassembled time travel device to Kiera. Maybe I did not understand this correctly, but didn’t Carlos say that Dillon still had it in his suitcase? Does that mean Dillon did not hand it over to Alec or did Carlos steal it from Dillon in the car?

Brad and Kiera do the same thing; they head out into the wilderness and meet up with Alec and Emily. Emily you ask? Where has she been all this time? Building a cabin and hunting deer? But it seems almost like Emily and Alec have never been apart and immediately rekindle their relationship. These two are headed out for a different place and Brad and Kiera will stay at the lake cabin. Also: how did they manage to meet up after all this time? I get that they had planned to disappear before Alec was captured but I’m still amazed that everything worked in the end.
The relationship between Kiera and Brad also seems to develop steadily. There is no indication that any proper sexy-times happened but their actions suggest a deep trust in eachother. Now that they are alone in the cabin maybe they will be able to catch up on that. All this is really amazing considering that Kiera has not completely trusted anyone yet, except maybe Carlos in the end. Apropos Carlos - will Kiera simply leave him behind to deal with the whole Dillon mess?

I really wish Kiera&Brad and Alec&Emily all the best, but I doubt that they will have a very long and peaceful vacation from all the timetravel crazyness.

Why? Because of this guy:

What I suspect are the sales figures on the screen in the back are trending up very nicely. I’m just not sure that that is a good thing for mankind. When Kellog shows him a picture of Kiera and future-Alec driving away in a car, Piron-Alec finally seems to realize that Kiera changed her mind and chose the other Alec over him. I bet that that is a betrayal he will not let go so easily. Kellog is very successful at pushing Alec’s buttons.

For this week I will leave it at that. I think I will draw a more final conclusion of this season after next week’s finale. Let me just say this: Continuum kept the story pace very high this week, just like last episode. I like where the show has taken us so far and I’m really looking forward to where it all ends up next week.

Thank you for joining me again this week. First, let's vote on the quality of the episode and then feel free to discuss it at length in the comments.

Poll

And finally let me say THANK YOU to @bubujin_2 for spellchecking this recap. So if you notice that the rate of grammar and spelling mistakes in my text has decreased, it is his achievement. Any mistakes that might still remain, are mine :D

85 Comments
Comments (85)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I have to admit, I was taken a bit out of the show when Kiera and Brad Walked up to Jack O'neil's Cabin. I know it's just a set but there were so many good moments there that it became memorable.
Flag
THAT is what that cabin reminded me of. Damn, you are right! Nice catch.
Flag
Oh, it never occurred to me until I read it somewhere else that the whole Curtis scene from the beginning happened awhile ago and the merger was making this Curtis (ours for lack of a better term) be in line with their Curtis but this merged Curtis is who we have been seeing all season. But that leads me to wonder, remember last season when we spent all that time in the future and we first saw Curtis and clearly knew he was from somewhere else and just waiting for the initial time travel to happen. Is this the same guy? Is he still from the future or did...okay, my brain is going to break...is he from this time, went to the future, went too early into the future...aargh...As I know in Canada the season finale was last night (I think) and mine isn't until Friday, I am guessing this won't be answered.
Flag
No it won't :) Sorry.

But you have a very good hour of TV to look forward to. And by then the recap will be online as well. It's already written but in spellcheck right now.
Flag
Not going to spoil anything but the last minute of the finale is a serious WTF!!!!
Flag
Ooh...can't wait...
Flag
Great review; until this episode, I was ready to give up on this show. Time travel is the hardest of concepts to write in the sci fi arena because of the paradoxes it throws up. I felt that the writers had fallen into the trap and were introducing too many characters and plotlines to make a good and clear story, but with this episode they cleaned the slate and made for a more linear story again starting next season.
I believe that this is the best sci fi show on TV right now( Orphan Black is a better drama, but this is more difficult plotting and writing) and I hope it continues at this high level.
Flag
I was telling someone the other day how almost everything on SYFY sucks, but I had forgotten about Continuum. Its not bad, it's definitely a watchable show. In fact, its the best show I've seen on the channel.

I tried to watch Metal Hurlant Chronicles and it just confused me.
Flag
Good SciFi is not easy to find either on TV or on the big screen. I really miss shows like BSG, Stargate and Fringe.
If you consider Orphan Black as SciFi (which I do), that is is up there, maybe even better than Continuum.
Flag
I miss B5.

I say that even though JMS intended all along that it would be a 5-year ride.

He kept his word!
Flag
Orphan Black is great. I liked BSG. Stargate was watchable and hung around much longer than anyone ever expected. I only saw about 30 mins of Fringe and I didnt know what it was about. That was back in season one and I noticed its gained a helluva following.

I liked "V" and "The Event", and when both got cancelled I was pissed, so I stopped following network tv Sci-fi. I think Fringe was in its first season back then.
Flag
Fringe only starts to REALLY take of in season 2. So if you have the time and patience to give it another try, it really is worth the effort.

If not, you can start with season 2 or better yet, with the two last episodes of season 1...
Flag
Maybe that will help fill in the time till Sleepy Hollow returns. The Strain is coming!
Flag
xubxerox,

Very good review. I've been watching since the beginning; I have no idea where this is going ... which is good!

One thing worth mentioning that you did not mention: this was directed by its creator, Simon Barry. So I paid closer attention to the acting. I was wondering if you could see anything special. I thought the acting was really good.

I wondered if Barry has had anything to say; I saw this:

LEO AWARDS: CONTINUUM Wins Second Consecutive Leo For Best Dramatic Series
Flag
Leo awards, increasing number of viewers in Canada/US and still no official renewal for Continuum. But I have no doubt there will be a renewal.
Flag
Thanks for the praise and thanks for posting that link.

One thing immeditaly comes to mind:
For his first action sequence that was amazing work. The fight-choreography and the short slowmo's were perfect. If this is how fight sequences turn out when Barry does the directing, I want him to do more.

Close quarter fights are always the best. I remember a movie (might have been OngBak) where two guys fight eachother in a toilet-stall. LOVE IT!

And I like his view on softening up Kiera. I agree that with the realization that she will not return to "her" 2077 she can allow herself to become emotionally attached again. That in a way frees her up as a character.

Flag
I think Carlos got the device from Dillon's briefcase back at the precinct as Dillon never got the chance to give Alec the time travel device (Kellog interrupted, then they went chasing after Sonya).

Great episode. I'm glad that Alec is free (I think Emily was waiting for him in the cabin the whole time as a plan b) and reunited with Emily - I guess this means that Emily might still be Jason's mum? I'm going to miss Sonya. she was passionate, smart and pretty fierce. It's shame. It will be interesting to see who takes over from Dillon at the precinct, and it looks like there maybe a showdown between the two Alecs as well.
Flag
Yes, the question of Jason's mother is still very much open, but I also vote for Emily. Even though that would ultimately mean that she will die prematurely.
Flag
Well kira has the time travel device and theres only one place she is going and that is to reset the entire season for a new season 4. Why not, why not indeedy.
Flag
I'm a little concerned about where Continuum will go from here, to lose several main characters and almost completely eliminate a 3 season long storyline is a damn bold move. This is Continuum though - the writers know very well what they're doing and from the beginning I hoped Liber8/Betty would die so that the story can move forward into darker territory...
Flag
Well, we'll have to see how many MAIN characters we have lost. I don't think the last word is spoken about Dillon. They did wheel someone out on a gurney after all. That may have been a bystander but it also may have been Dillon. And we know what Piron can do, so if he made it out (barley) alive, he might survive.
Flag
Here's a thought: what if the Traveller is actually Dillon who gets resuscitated via Halo and later enhanced further by future Piron/SAD-Tech developments? Probably not, but fun to speculate that Dillon's character survives and what becomes of him.
Flag
Didn't even consider that, I imagine that for Continuum to move forward we'd need a change of power - Carlos might temporarily be in charge while Dillon recovers. It would work out because Carlos works closely with Kiera vs. the future Alec/Kellogg storyline but Dillon's pretty much at the end of the road with the Liber8 story coming to an end.
Flag
LOL - the funny thing is: I thought of that as well but it seemed to far out there so I didn't post it. Also, the hand we see when The Traveler places it on Curtis' head does not really fit the actor...

But the coincidence of a guy getting (almost) blown up and a guy with technology in him that lets him live is just to good to pass up on for some speculation...
Flag
Really, Dillon ala Anakin Skywalker-Darth Vader: the father of time travel!
Flag
I confess, I spent like the first six minutes of this episode very confused, I decided that Curtis must have been the one from our time, to whatever extent he is from our timeline, or any timeline for that matter, and put it aside. I am now wondering if we are going to have a Curtis on Curtis meeting, or where he might be.

Dillon, if I think of first season Dillon, I will miss you. This season Dillon...well, way to go Sonya.

What on earth is Kellogg doing? From what I can sort out so far is that he is maybe focusing Alec on Future Alec and Kiera so they will all distract each other and either wiping themselves all out or at least distracting them enough that they can't stop whatever Kellogg, Curtis and HIM have planned to likely try and assure some variation of Brad's future but maybe one that is a little more like Kiera's except Kellogg is the one in charge of Sadtech and all that comes with it. I can't help but think that HIM might have a different plan (oh, and my money right now is he is some variation of Julian from maybe a time we haven't' even seen yet).

So, I am guessing Alec and Emily (who had back up plans which was that cabin) like don't even make the one traffic light in the town they are in. Hopefully they get past themselves enough to head back to Kiera and Brad. I have a thought that Emily might not make it to really break future Alec, that all of this was for naught.

Alec, I get you had a hard time and are pissed, but Kiera was equally so at you and also got a pleasant stay in Freelancer jail and voluntarily left the possibility of her own time resetting and not being destroyed to save you.

I am going to guess there is a destined pairing that will happen differently but happen all the same in this timeline - Carlos and Julian. I just suspect, Julian in his freaked out state that Sonya left him in will turn to Carlos as opposed to Carlos turning to Julian like in the original timeline.
More+
Flag
Well, I'm not going to pretend I understand everything that's going on, and that I'm even trying... But like you I'm waiting for the season finale to get some definitive conclusion. So far I'm enjoying things.

I thought Alec and Emily meeting so easily felt forced, but I suppose they made plans in case they'd get separated in their run. She could go somewhere and check for messages online or somewhere, like a PO Box somewhere they had set. Then as soon as he was free, Alec left her a message and they met in the cabin. Yeah, I know that's making up too many details, but something like that could've occurred.

The important thing is that "One-Week-In-The-Future-Alternate-Timeline-Scarred-Alec" and Emily's storyline has a clear direction where to finish. If both hadn't met, they'd still have to button up that storyline by making him look for her in all places,a nd that would take the story to unnecessary places.

Great review as usual. I don't know how you make time for that. I have many plans for reviews, but consider all the time it's going to take and give up...
Flag
Making time for reviews.... yeah, that can really cut into your free time. I'm defenitly waiting a while bevore I start a new review project. I've already considered Longmire, which I like not just for Katee Sackhoff but that and Continuum overlapped and that was a no-go.
So for now, I'm looking forward to my schedule being freed up with the finale of Continuum.

And of course I'm looking forward to the finale itself.
Flag
I don't know what's with all the hate for Brad... Yes he killed Kiera, but they were different circumstances... He could just leave but he's staying to redeem him self...
Flag
My problem is that she seems to have forgotten her husband.
Flag
I 'm with cosminmoise13 on this one. Is Kiera supposed to spend the rest of her life pining for someone she'll probably never see again? Plus which Kiera's husband wasn't all great to begin with. he cheated on her and he always seemed to come across as a bit dodgy to me.
Flag
I am not saying that. However, the whole relationship is odd. It's all, (in the space of a few days, I might add) "Hey, I have amnesia, but I know your name somehow." "Ok, I will help you find your identity." "I remember, I am from a new, terrible future." "Whoa!" "And, I'm the one who really killed you." "Double whoa!" "What now?" "Help me free my buddy who I royally screwed over." "Sure." "So, I guess we're a thing, now." "I guess."

It's all very rushed to me. It's like the Lincoln-Octavia relationship on the 100. He kidnaps her but saves her from a spear, she bashes him in the head several times but stops her friends from torturing him to get the cure for Finn, then it's all that he is a good person who is misunderstood (even though it would have helped if he talked and explained himself in the first place), and he and Octavia are in love and want peace between their peoples, all in the space of a few weeks.
Flag
Yeah, what LaurenLS said, but in addition: now that the timeline has been altered the likelihood of a husband and even a son to return to is greatly diminished.
Flag
I'm not sure she has but she probably realizes that its almost impossible for her to get home.
Flag
* Kiera/Brad is the most forced relationship I ever remember seeing on TV. And it makes almost no sense. Brad killed Kiera. Kiera knows Brad killed her. Brad's almost jobless and doesn't seem to have marketable skills. Kiera hooked up with Kellogg and didn't ever hook up with Carlos. It's so bizarre that I wonder if Rachel Nichols is dating the actor in real life.

* Kellogg could have listening devices in Kiera's home, within the VPD, etc. It doesn't seem too far-fetched that he'd know about Kiera and Brad's going to the Freelancer place.

* I looked up Lexi Doig on IMDb and discovered she did some episode of another show called Arctic Air and that Stephen Lobo is apparently a regular on that show.

- I didn't know an actor could be a regular on two shows at the same time.
Flag
A lot of people were on Arctic Air and Continuum. Lexa Doig and Stephen Lobo you saw. There was also Pascale Hutton (Krista on Arctic Air and journalist in season 1 Carlos sleeps with and who ends up killed), Brian Markinson (Ronnie on Arctic Air and Dillon on Continuum) who also had few scenes in Fargo and John Reardon (Blake on Arctic Air and Greg on Continuum). I think it's a matter of schedules, since shows weren't filmed at same time it was possible and people who had large roles in one show had smaller ones in other.

In addition Richard Haron plays Julian on Continuum and is also in The 100 (not sure how big a role since I've given up that show after few epidsodes) and Roger R. Cross (Travis on Continuum) was in first season of Motive as well.
Flag
The schedules aren't so much the issue as what I thought the contracts would be. Stephen Lobo is a regular on both shows. Recurring guest stars can obviously do more than one show at a time. Regarding Lexa Doig, I was simply wondering whether she 'got a better offer' and therefore wanted to be killed off. With Sonya Valentine gone, what is left of Liber8?
Flag
Harmon's role on The 100 was pretty sizable and it seems like he will continue to be on it moving into S2. Cross was also on Arrow for a while. It helps that all of these shows film in and around Vancouver. You almost never see Toronto actors on them
Flag
Markinson was in two episodes of Arrow as well. Which, when you think about it, isn't that strange. Somebody gets a noticable role in noticable series. So other show hires him for a side role in one or few episodes as well.

More surprising was Arctic Air/Continuum crossovers but I think it's part due to smaller pool of Canadian actors compared to US one.
Flag
Was this the first time we know that THE TRAVALER is in our time...Catherine said a person went back 1000 years to start Freelancers but I just assumed he lived his life and died so I was really surprised to see "Darth Vadar"

SO this is the Curtis who died when? He has died so many times I cannot keep track except I too think he was Merged with the other Curtis's but why??

I thought Kiera got Scar-Alec out of prison so she could switch him with Evil-Alec.
Any news on a season 4? If they don't end it with a FINALE after 3 seasons and not plan a 4th I WILL be P!$$ed
Flag
There is no way they will be able to tie together all the loose ends in the season three finale, so if the show is not renewed for a fourth season, it will end in one hell of a mess. And I agree, that will leave us all very pissed.
Flag
Well, even though it is not renewed yet, I do expect a renewal. Anything else would be a huge surprise.
Flag
Hey Xub! All caught up. I wanted to make my contribution. This just had GIF written all over it:

Flag
Curtis is looking fresh.

..but how, he was in a fight just minutes ago with Brad, with a huge blow on this face... should have shown him without makeup here :)
Flag
You caught up just in time for the finale. Nice. :D

Great GIF.

I am really falling behind on my series watching with the football (soccer) world-championship going on.
Flag
Agreed down below, Xub. A shoot out would have been just a cliche' I think what "The Talk" symbolized (and yeah - there was proof in the hologram) was that all of Liber8 kind of already knew it. I think they sensed what they were doing - if it was changing the world, it wasn't changing it in a way they would have wanted or Kagame envisioned. All except Sonya I guess who drank a gallon of the Kool-Aid. But then again - she was the one that saw that whole colony bombed.

I took it as Liber8 just hearing what they already kinda knew. and that was the last straw. I LOVE the show's direction. This little blip is nothing and hardly a plot hole or anything. Just maybe a touch anti-climatic for the end of Liber8 ...The Big Bad for 3 years. The members are not done, though. And I imagine we will get another Sonya from another timeline. Lexa is just too good.
Flag
Ture, even if Liber8 is really done, the characters are just to good to just get rid of. I'm really looking forward to what Garza does. After all she already partnered up with Kiera once. And her mission as per Alec from 2077 is to be the backup to make sure timejump-Alec makes the right choices. Wouldn't it be awsome if she joined the team...
Flag
I still can't decide whether i am attracted to Garza or not (I know - I focus on the really deep, philosophical issues). One moment she looks sexy as all get out and other times she is scary as shit. She reminds me of Eva Green that way. They are not classically pretty yet have a sensuality and sex appeal about them that is magnetic. That and they are both total bad-asses which is cool.

I think we are going to see Team Kiera working a whole lot with the former Liber8 folks. I could tell from the beginning as this all played out, both sides would draw towards the middle and each other to stop a really shitty future.
Flag
I know! I am glad to read some others having a little problem with connecting the dots. I thought it was the speed i watched the eps, but it looks like there are a few plot holes. NOthing that can't be fixed or hand waved though.

Love the show from the season 2 finale on
Flag
Not just you two - this episode hustled (so have the last few). I appreciate that the show is moving along quickly, but this episode in particular felt like a lot of rushed storylines. I particularly would have liked to see Sonya grapple with her decision a little longer and see her take out Dillon in the finale instead
Flag
In the end I agree with ed. But I also think that just as talking can convince you of an ideology, talking can disillusion you. Brad did have that video of Kellog from the future after all.
But still, it is a little weak. If I remember the podcast from that episode correctly, a proper shoot-out was originally planned instead of the "talk".

Despite that criticism, I like where they are taking the story, no matter how they got there...
Flag
My biggest problem with the season is having an organization like Liber8 - that traveled through time to save the world ...essential gave up after just being monologued into quitting. I mean - all that effort, all that death and you are calling it quits because someone showed up to tell you (just TELL you) that you weren't successful? I would think it would take a lot more to throw in the towel.
Flag
Couple of things

After Sonja blows up the VPD, Carlos hands over the disassembled time travel device to Kiera. Maybe I did not understand this correctly, but didn’t Carlos say that Dillon still had it in his suitcase? Does that mean Dillon did not hand it over to Alec or did Carlos steal it from Dillon in the car?

When Dillon and Carlos are in the car you can see Carlos reach into the suitcase behing the seat, grab bag with device, then camera cuts to him pulling his hand forward (you can see hand only above albow). I think that makes it clear he pulled the device out of suitcase and put it in his pocket.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight. Unless you are Curtis Chen, then one or two knives are all you need to win any fight.

I wish these shows would hire some consultants who would explain to them how big a blast certain ammounts of explosives create. OK, Sonya could ahve injected herself with some weird, futuristic explosive but that still looked a large bang for that ammount (ditto for Kagame bringing down that building in season one with suicide bomber vest)

Dillon is wrong. It's not police who solicited support of rich and powerfull, it was rather rich and powerfull (i.e. upper class) who wanted to bring middle class to their side to maintain status quo. And police has been mostly drawn from this class.

Am I only one who thinks Sonya's Halo sabotage plan was blown too easily? OK, ignoring the fact that she just happened to find conveniant USB port that connects to mainframe she was caught too easily. OK, her plan was to kill Dillon but still, why run such elaborate cover to get to police station when she could just as easily be seen and arrested anywhere. I think there is more to it and her sabotage didn't fail but rather had two layers, one that was discovered and another that will be activated later.

Halo promotion reminds me of an old joke (not that funny though). "OK, we have this chip we want to iplant in your arm that will track anything you do. You want it?" "Hell no!" "But it comes with free .mp3 player." "Wow, cool, where do I sign up?"

"So nobody in this car is from now?" Best line in a long time.
More+
Flag
1. I think Dillon was about to give it to Alec in his Piron office (that's what he came to do) when they got interrupted by Kellog (another reason why Dillon wouldn't get the device out, in his presence?). Carlos just disassembled the device in the car. Would have been quite bold to pickpocket his boss right there!

5. I've been wondering too about Sonja's endgame. She couldn't have known Dillon (or Julian) would be there. She didn't seem like she was on a suicide mission coming to Piron either, and she was leaving the building already. Would she have gone straight to VPD after this? Because she didn't sound either like she was really planning to meet Travis after that...

7. Ditto!
Flag
You are right about 1. Upon closer look it does look like he just disassembled it so Freelancers couldn't track them.

As for 5. I think there were 3 layers to her plan. One was to infiltrate Piron and sabotage Piron. But one part was ment to be found so VPD and Piron would think they've caught her but there is another program that I think is still hidden and it will cause troubles. Considering promo for next episode features big promotion show for Halo I think activating fear factor there with so many journalists and such would make a massive impact.

Third was killing Dillon but she didn't plan on being caught then and there but rather under different circumstances. Dillon and carlos just happened to catch her at Piron so she went along.
Flag
I did not really like this part of the car-scene. There is no way Dillon would not have noticed Carlos reaching in the back and doing whatever he did. Except maybe if 10 topless women walked by the driver side window but they didn't. I checked :D

It was really a matter of good timing that Curtis could use those knives against Catherine. And in the fight against Brad they were basically useless.

3./4. - I agree.

Well, with sensitive IT-hardware, isn't there always a USB port in the front that is conveniently placed and that lets you do whatever you might need to?

SO true. That is why people who complain about government and corporate surveillance (in RL) need to take a look at their own habits first.

Dry humor - gives you the best laughs. imo.

Or just take a second and make sure. But all that would ruin a perfectly nice plot device :)

Flag
1. I agree. It was a silly scene.

2. Well, we can't have him kill Brad, can we? But I think in the past Curtis was good with knives.

5. I think that's a holdover from earlier times when crucial plans and designes had to be small enough to fit on one floppy disk. :)

7. Time travelling breeds its own sense of humour. Continuum cracked a few mandatory jokes in that department.
Flag
Lesson people should learn already. If you shoot somebody and they don't go down they are wearing bulletproof vest. In that case you should ai for the head.
Flag
Or just aim for the head from the start!
Flag
Smaller target and as such harder to hit. Makes more sense to aim for the torso where no matter where you hit you are bound to hit something major and even if you miss hitting a limb can still get target out of the picture.
Flag
Except Team Machine aims for limbs. ;) Of course hitting a leg can be fatal, cut a major artery and person can bleed out in minutes
Flag
As demonstrated many times on POI :D
Flag
Just gotta get this out of the way

"In what feels like an homage to Almost Human and True Detective..."

Wait, what? A disjointed series that was one and done after a half season and arguably the greatest single season ever aired on television...I'm not sure these things have anything in common other than people riding in cars. Which I suppose was your point, but still. This wasn't nearly as funny as Almost Human and not in the same league as the dialogue in True Detective. Maybe more Sam and Dean than Rust and Marty. Anyway...

Putting aside some of the continuity and plausibility issues, yet another solid outing from Continuum. I still refuse to believe it too 4-5 "setup" episodes for this story to come to fruition, but now that we're here, things are moving FAST...and I dig it!

I actually felt bad for Travis. Of all the remaining members of Liber8, he was the most "noble". He hadn't double crossed anybody, no side deals, no ulterior motives. He just wanted to fix what he perceived to be wrong and after it was made clear his actions didn't (and couldn't) have the desired effect, he knew it was over and immediately wanted to start/resume the life he always wanted. Sadly, Sonja was more motivated by flawed idealism and vindictiveness.

Kiera and Brad...yes please! That is all
More+
Flag
You are right of course about the comparison. Those were just the shows that immediatly came to mind while I was writing the review, probably because they were most recent. I expect there are others that did exactly the same thing.

And really there is no one in the same league of True Detective... as of right now.

Flag
{clearing throat} Umm...no one?

Regards,
Game of Thrones

________

Just a little busting of chops. I'm just happy to have the "old" Continuum back, regardless of comparison.
Flag
Ok, with Game of Thrones I might be willing to enter into a discussion on that subject.

But with Hannibal, there I respectfully disagree :)
Flag
Oh, I was referring a little more to both shows' deep love for the uncanny and the symbolic. Wouldn't thematically compare GoT with either from that perspective.
Flag
Them's fighting words :)
Flag
Hannibal is good. And if there were an award for best abstract, it'd win hands down. But if we're talking about top dog, it's a little niche and I'm not sure it's got the chops to hang with the super heavyweights like GoT and True Detective.

Welterweight contender perhaps.
Flag
Forgetting about me is a little rude, but nothing we cannot solve over a nice dinner.

Most respectfully,
Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

;-)
Flag
"He says something to Catherine but I have no idea what. Even after listening to it for three times. "

I believe The Traveler says "Goodbye" in Arabic.
Flag
Wow... ok. No wonder I could not understand him :)
Flag
I have to admit, this show has lost me. The first season I was still able to get, after I watched it a second time. (Repetition is the mother of learning.) But during the second season I started losing the plot with the addition of the Freelancers and trying to keep up with the different time lines.

One of the problems with the show is, that it introduces events that seemingly lead to noting. They expand the Continuum universe, but they don't really seem to connect to anything. For example, there was the following scene in season two, I don't remember which episode: Right before the execution of Liber8 in 2077, Warren had an encounter with Jason which ended with Warren menacingly walking towards Jason. Then the scene ended. I think that we are to assume that they both were caught in the time travel bubble, since they met right beneath the execution chamber.

But it's annoying that we never got any confirmation to this, and there are several scenes like this one in the show. People meet, have some shady, unexplained business dealings together, and the outcome is often not really shown. On top of this visions from the future are shown which might or might not come to pass, and Liber8 executes plans with unclear outcomes. These events are left for the viewers to interpret, but it's very hard to do so when we have to keep up with the different time lines as well.

One thing I'm really confused by is Curtis. I understood him all the way until season two, episode ten, but then I lost the plot. In that episode he is in a prison cell in 2077 waiting for the execution. Travis is brought into the cell, he says a few encouraging words, and at the very end it is revealed that Curtis has the Freelancer black dots between his fingers. What? Was he already a Freelancer in the future, in the original time line? In other words, was he a Freelancer in the future while part of Liber8, before he got executed? And all the things that happened to him in season three after he was revived are pretty much confusing to me.

This episode revealed how the Freelancers revived him and it seemed like Catherine asked Curtis if he wants to serve (probably the Freelancers). Why would she ask that if he already has the dots between his fingers? And at what point did Curtis go rogue, and stop playing with the Freelancers? Was the reason for this just that he realized time line fixing doesn't work, or was it because he met the "Original Time Traveller" (Him)? Why is he working with Kellog, on what, and when did he manage to lure Brad Duncan from the future? In season three Curtis has been appearing so randomly all over the place, saying cryptic things to people, that I have no idea what he is up to, and what the direction is for the character.

And I guess that's the problem with Continuum. It's sometimes very difficult to discern the motivations behind people's actions. They do different things in different episodes, seemingly switching allegiance all the time. For me it was easier to follow Fringe than Continuum, which says something. Now, don't get me wrong; I love the show. But at the same time it's frustrating not to understand something you so deeply want to understand.
More+
Flag
couldn't agree more. I usually pride myself on being able to follow and understand convoluted plots but I have no idea what is going on with Curtis. I'm hoping there will be some clarification in the finale as well
Flag
I agree. Great show w/ tremendous potential, but I find myself very confused this season...I keep waiting for that AHA! Ohhhhh... moment to come.
Flag
Yes, another excellent episode! I'm looking forward to discovering who the Traveler is and why Catherine (RIP! What a way to go.) essentially worshiped him. I suspect he's another version of Alec. Maybe he's super enhanced with a mega Halo-CMR upgrade?

I really thought Carlos stole the time travel device from Dillon while in the car, but perhaps only disabled it at the time to keep the Freelancers off their trail. After all, where would he have hidden it once they reached the Piron offices? Clearly Dillon wouldn't have had the opportunity to hand it off to Alec due to being interrupted by Sonja's appearance, but wouldn't his bag have been left in Alec's office? So how Carlos ultimately acquired the device is a little unclear.

Regarding SAD-Tech, isn't Kellog still running that show? It was alluded to a couple of episodes or so before that he was apparently getting Piron technicians/researchers to switch companies. But it does bring up two compelling questions: how does SAD-Tech factor into how the future is unfolding and what tech are they developing that will influence the future?

I liked the sweet scenes with Brad and Kiera at the lake cabin. I hope we see some more intense romance between these two in the season's finale. She's due although of course that relationship is probably doomed. But I wouldn't be sorry if Brad survives into the next season. With his mad fighting skills he and Kiera could be an awesome dynamic duo.
More+
Flag
I'm confused - how can the traveller be Alec or Julian or anyone else we know if he travelled BACK 1000 years? What year did the traveller arrive in?
Flag
Well, if you consider Halo, it might be one of those guys with technology IN him that allowed him to basically live long. Also if you look at his hand, he doesn't seem to look old...
Flag
Oh I would not be sorry if he survives at all. Not only does he represent the first person Kiera seems to have feelings for, but he also offers an interesting storyarc. Not only for himself but his appearance has implications for the whole show, with his bleak future and all that.
You are right, Kellog is probably still running that show. I'm just surprised he would buy a skyscraper. Who does he expect to work there? Last we saw it was only Alec in a small lab...
Flag
Point taken regarding SAD-Tech! How would an operation that has been essentially run out of a garage or warehouse be seemingly almost ready for a move to prime downtown real estate?
Flag
For some reason, my brain had jumped to the conclusion that Sonja and Travis were meeting there, because it would be the location of the SadTech building in 2077, Kellog would know that - he'd have it built it on the ruins of the building Kagame blew up? I've browsed through screencaps but can't find evidence of it, anyone can disprove/corroborate? (Hi everybody, by the way! First time posting here, great to see other people wracking their brains about that show. Xubxerox, thanks a lot for the reviews, they're great! You had me refreshing the page though all last Tuesday.)
Flag
you are very welcome :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members