A Continuum Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Before I get started thinking about Season 3 and where Continuum is going here is a link to the excellent discussion of timelines on Tv in general by Muderboy

After watching one of my favorite season ending episodes of all time, I immediately began thinking about where Continuum might be going next season. Here are a few of the possibilities.

1) Alec traveled back in time just a few hours prior to Emily’s death. (2 to 1 odds)

This would by far be the simplest way for Continuum to power on with its usual routine and would return the show to as close to a status quo as it could get considering all the events of last night. Alec’s immediate action would be to destroy the time travel device ending the threat.

The terrifying implication here is that it would be an alternate timeline and that our main character of two years Kiera #1 would forever be confined in the freelancer cube never to be heard from again. The writers would likely never address this issue and we would be asked to forget that our heroine ended up trapped in a prison with her mortal enemies for the rest of her life while the main storyline continued with Kiera #2.

Slight glimmer of hope for Kiera #1: Jason mentioned in the penultimate episode that he never wanted to go back there again suggesting that he had been in the cubes before and escaped. A short scene with a breakout by Jason, Kiera, and the Liber8’ers would nicely tie up this timeline giving us closure with Kiera #1 (also Kiera and the Liber8 team up would be awesome for this).

2 Alec traveled to the future 2077 (5 to 1 odds)

This would depend heavily on how deep Alec’s ruse for Kiera would have gone. If he had to fully convince her that she was going home to 2077, then that is where Alec just sent himself – possibly with the intent to get help from the older Alec.

Alec’s problems would start from the beginning as the future he travelled to would most likely be run by Escher and/or Theseus. Without Alec Sadler in the timeline and Carlos joining forces with Julian (likely as a perfect agent of restraint to reign in Julian’s excesses) it is much more likely that Theseus may have succeeded in his quest and be in a real position of power. This might be the best place for the story to go as it would set up a whole set of storylines with Alec tracking Kiera down in the future and dealing with old Theseus.

The terrifying implications: No more Carlos. No more Richard Harmon (already featured in the 100 pilot). No more Jason.

3 Alec traveled back in time to a timeline where he never existed. (25 to 1 odds)

This is a little more complex, but would create what we shall call the Peter Bishop effect (Fringe spoilers alert). The first assumption would be that for whatever reason (Escher never existed/Escher was killed by the freelancers for betraying them before Alec was conceived/ or even as truly simple as Alec lived in a different part of the world where he wouldn’t be able to link to Kiera’s CMR/etc.) Alec never existed in this timeline in Vancouver.

When Liber8 and Kiera arrived back in time in this timeline, Kiera never had Alec. In this timeline Kiera is most likely in prison (for impersonating a cop or as a suspected Liber8 terrorist) or in a psych ward. This would essentially reset every personality and relationship (for the pros and cons of this approach you can look at Season 4 of Fringe – the storylines were great, but the fans never really got over what they lost in the character personalities that were sacrificed – especially Walter). This might not be as big a loss in the Continuum universe where everyone has maintained fairly static relationships and personalities, with the exception of Carlos and Kiera (I might slightly be a Kierlos(?) shipper a tiny bit). In other words, there are a whole lot of pros and not so many cons. It would be great to see a brand new shaky/bit crazy Rachel Nichols as Kiera #2 start over again with Alec. It would also be interesting to see her go up against the police (and Carlos) in her work against Liber8, instead of being on the inside (but I would miss you Kierlos). It may have been a bit for foreshadowing in this regard as Kiera thanked Carlos in the finale for being the only one who had been truly on her side since Day 1.

It would also likely mean that Liber8 would have much more control as the police proved to be pretty inept at combating the low manpower Liber8 (thanks to Kiera) so they would be even farther behind the Liber8 that still had all of its members, not to mention a Theseus completely under their control. Another storyline would of course be Alec tracking down a criminal Emily who had no idea who he was. In other words, a whole lot of easy to believe and easy to get into new storylines.

Terrifying implication – same as in #1 – Kiera #1 would still be screwed.

4 We don’t get to see any of Alec’s time travel – aka a time jump (15 to 1 odds)

In this scenario we jump forward in time for an unspecified period. In this scenario we would open Season 3 with Alec and Emily rescuing Kiera and Jason (and maybe the Liber8ers?) from the freelancer prison. Alec would have successfully returned to the primary storyline with Emily #2 and figured out where Kiera was and decided to rescue her. This would also keep things fairly status quo in the rest of the world (by this I mean the main characters could return to their lives fairly easily) – maybe Theseus and Escher have a little more power – maybe the police are a little more corrupt, but the basics of who’s side everyone is on will not have changed.

5 Time Jump and rescue by Escher or Theseus and Carlos (25 to 1 odds)

Same as #4 with one caveat: Alec was unsuccessful in rescuing Emily and subsequently lost his mind/went dark/went evil trying to figure out a way to get her back. Escher and/or Theseus/Carlos recognized this and need Kiera to come rescue Alec from himself.

What do you think?

Which of the 5 ideas is your favorite for Season 3?

What do you think will actually happen in Season3?
30 Comments
Comments (30)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Are you ready? I know I am!!! The remaining 8.5 hours of waiting time will seem like an eternity for me, but I know it will be worth the wait!
Flag
The great thing about a show like this is that the possibilities are only limited by where the imagination can take a person/writer. Any of us that have watched anything about time travel already know that the mere presence of people from the year 2077 in the year 2012/2013 has already created a paradox or change in the future, and the only thing that would prevent that paradox or change in the future would be if the time travelers already took part in their own history, in other words what we are seeing has already happened before. Since I believe the only glimpse we get of this being a fact is Kiera's dream which could easily be explained away in a future storyline as being nothing more than a premonition or a vision brought on by her CME.
Your examples of possible story lines are great, albeit I do not believe it has to be limited to just those five as regardless of where Alec went, future or past he has the ability to alter things. The only way he can not alter things as we know them is if he shows up in the future past the date that the Liber8 members and Kiera were transported back in time. Even this simple theory has holes in it because we are led to believe that the Freelancers are from a point further in the future than 2077, and he could simply disrupt the formation of the Freelancers thereby saving Emily from being shot by a Freelancer.
As I said in my opening, the possibilities are endless with this show and I am sure the writers have many twists and turns for us to follow along with this coming season and personally I can not wait to see what they are as to this point they have not disappointed me as unlike so many shows or movies nowadays I have an idea of whats coming next, and no I am not claiming clairvoyance, simply many story lines seem to be somewhat predictable,
Speaking of Clairvoyance, I would love for the show to take us into more of the whys and wherefores of how the world became what it is in 2077. Yes I know, broke governments, corporate congress, big brother and all that. The thing is what attracted me to the show in the first place was how in many ways it closely mirrors our actual world, Our people in governments more worried about re-election than they are about doing the right thing for their countries, even though it may be an unpopular thing to do. Now before people from the left, right or center start picking that statement apart, understand that it is not made from any particular political viewpoint as to me one side is as bad as the other and the current political environment around the world could very well lead to us experiencing the very thing we are watching on this show. However, that's enough of political commentary.
I will never think to speak for anyone but myself, but the show does a very good job of making me think very hard about which side is right and who I would like to see come out on top. It is a show where the good guys are not always the good guys, and the bad guys are not always the bad guys. I can certainly understand how the characters in this show get pulled from one side to the other, am I the only one who has trouble deciding from week to week which side to cheer for?

A big thumbs up to the creators of this show, and a thank you nod to the guylafayette for starting this thread.

More+
Flag
OK, I just finished watching Fringe on Netflix and I am not clear how this is related to Peter Bishop. Which conundrum? He was in solved in so many.
Flag
TV economis.
Scenario no. 1 would require the least imagination, the least change, indeed be easiest to accomplish. This again translates as the cheapest to produce.

Scenario no. 2 would be easy to imagine/write, however most of the season would have to be set in the future, which would translate into heavy production costs.

All other scenarios would be more difficult to achieve in either story complexity (don't loose the viewers) or production costs (I hope this show has gotten popular enough to attract more investors, though).

Personally I hope that the writers think of something completely different. Surprise me. They have managed that several time so far. :-)
Flag
Hi! the 4th but before just add Alec saving his girlfriend Emily! thank you for the season 1 and 2. Great job, i really like it even i'm from Madagascar.
Flag
I absolutely Love everything about this series. I also don't say that lightly with Sci-Fi shows. In fact I think it's the best Sci-Fi series on TV presently. It's hard to explain why a show draws you in... a lot of times it's for personal reasons regarding the individual. I like that they go full Canadian as well, filming in Vancouver where the story takes place. I love that city and it's cool seeing it in each episode. I can't wait for season 3!
Flag
I agree. I just re-binged the first 2 seasons and it's even better the second time. I think this is the best sci-fi show on television right now if not one of the best sci-fi shows ever. As a die-hard Fringe fan, I don't say this lightly either. Continuum is really smart, the writing has been brilliant so far and the cast is great. I also love that finally a TV show that is filmed in Vancouver (at first I dint think I'd like that because I'm so used to shows based in the U.S.) also takes place in it unlike 90% of other TV shows. I'm really looking forward to Season 3!
Flag
I'm having a slow day at work (and its rainy and cold) so this seemed a good day to tackle this...

I think the first thing that you have to focus on in determining which avenue of time travel ramifications is figuring exactly what game Alec was playing with Kiera. He was acting mad at her, but winked at her at a time during what he was saying clearly meant to me, and to Kiera, trust me and go along with this ruse. Then he has to get her to bring the device and there says he isn't sending her back. But what did Alec have in mind would happen before Escher and the free lancers came in (I am going to acknowledge here, right now, I am not sure exactly when Escher wanted Alec to use the device for - heck, I start thinking about Escher and I am like 1) is he really Alec's father and 2) when the hell is he from? I have always thought he and likely the other free lancers were from a future time further ahead than 2077). Was Alec's plan the same as Escher's? Did he have a different plan in mind? I know he declared he was going after Emily to save her, but that was after some melodramatic explanations and he seemed to be anti whatever Esher was selling, but I am not sure he was totally back to being on side Kiera again.

Then the next thing I wonder, is there some motivation needed in the time traveller? If not, then didn't Alec go to wherever he had programmed the device right after Kiera initially brought it in? Again, I have no idea where that would be.

On my free lancers are from the future thing, I have actually kind of wondered if Kiera et al are stuck in kind of a time warp that the free lancers established. Like, these people were disrupting the timeline, so their goal was to take them out. We, for most of season 2, assumed this meant they were killing them. But what if they just created this pocket of time where they won't change. I am going to go with that particular theory (as also an explanation of why Jason both a) didn't really age in the thirty years he says he has been here and b) is like kind of crazy). That way, if Alec went back in time and some time paradox rule I am unaware of allowed our Alec to take over for his past self, he will have the choice when Kiera pops on the radio to ignore her and then we will see the first season and a half totally from just Alec's perspective with him just observing but with the knowledge of the future. Kiera, stumbles into Kellogg first and he eases her into Sonya's side of the Liber8 stuff. When they get into Julian, Alec sees something worse happening and he tries to talk to Kiera but she is too far gone. BUT, in his questing for anything, he manages to turn on our Kiera's CMR even through the time loop and it is up to Alec to find them.

Or, if he goes to the future, he finds quite quickly that the Carlos/Julian partnership is much more dangerous and not only can he not find Kiera in that time, he can't find evidence of her ever existing. This actually would be quick, because Alec would try and find the area in the future where that basement was and save them. Likely save them all.

I am not sure if he just goes back basically two days to save Emily, that would seem to create the horrible paradox that you set forth where we never see the characters we have grown to like again.
More+
Flag
My feelings on this are Alec would never have sent back Kira and the others if he knew Emily would die and that was it. So it seems to me somehow Alec of the past saves her. Questions might be can they just have her with her own suit since we never really knew all about her? Maybe her death was faked for her protection? I've gotta say there's nothing more compelling than a young piece of ass like that to drive a man so I definitely believe Alec won't rest till he saves her. Carlos and Julian joining forces is hilarious and the head of the department going insane for all intents and purposes was equally goofy. He honestly lost his freaking mind causing me to wonder if he'd been hacked like Lucas was, but idk. Ultimately I would like to see Emily alive and Alec separate from everyone. Ahem......... I'd goto Thailand with her on the nude beach :D
Flag
Don't forget that Kiera woke up from a dream where she was in that cage. That had obviously happened to her before, so where does that take it?
Flag
I am a little disappointed in how quickly season 2 ended, but I am intrigued into finding out what happened to Alec. My suggestion is that we power on with where we left off. I think we need to face the facts, Kiera is stuck and is not ever going back to 2077. What's the point in keeping this series going if you put an end to the storyline by sending Kiera back to her time. I think the season should begin with scenario 2. Alec said he had to go back and save her, talking about Emily, but from there he travels to 2077 where he meets his older self and somehow convinces his older self not to create this device. But what then would happen to the younger Alec of 2013 who is now in 2077. If older Alec changes his plan and does not create the time travel device then the Alec of the past would be erased from the future. Lot of things to consider.
Flag
Another possibility I just thought of is a combination a 2, and 4. Start the season out with idea four, but in the flash forwards at the beginning of the episodes slowly start showing young Alec's short misadventure to 2077.
Flag
What if the family business discused earlier is not just about time travel but more about control, not just control of time but humanity? Season three could be a combination of 1, 4, and 5. Show flashes of the attempted rescue of Emily, but not right away. Start the show with a time gap. We don't know what is going on with Alec, but Escher and Theseus/Carlos join up to resue Keira for their oun reasons that can be found out later in the season with the explained goal to be to reign in Alec before he goes beyond crazy trying to find a way to save Emily. Escher's reason for joining up is to see his son succeed at controlling the world but he can't do it without Keira being a reminder of Alec's loss of Emily. Theseus with Carlos' insistance decides to rescue Keira for two reasons. First, they are family, even though not blood, and Theseus cares what happens to Alec. Second, Carlos believes that if they have her future knowledge they can change the future for the better. End of the season we find out that Jason's mom is Keira, and that is a main reason she was sent back.
More+
Flag
I REALLY do not want another PB Effect. I had enough of it in Fringe, thank you very much. I think that if the writers are going for something bold, but not enough to get into the PBE, they should seriously go for the travel to 2077. A time where Kiera doesn't know Alec, Young Alec can meet himself and learn a bunch of stuff about Liber8? Sign me up!
Flag
The problem with creating new timelines to rectify paradoxes is that they probably all exist and you can take your pick. This is a good show and I hope it doesn't get all entangled in multiple timelines because good storytelling has risks and outcomes that are meaningful.
Flag
Just want to say here one thing. I am not a sci-fy fan because too many shows in this genre are plain ridiculous. However, this one is less about sci-fy if you do not take the time travel into account than the true possibilities of future technologies. One has only to think that one of the biggest technology sectors is surveillance and we all know where this is going. Continuum is just one great show. And for better or worse, the sides are not clear cut which is also refreshing.
Flag
I haven't totally sorted out my thoughts on this yet, this is actually the first time Continuum has actually really made me think majorly outside of just enjoying the episode (just what I need another show to obsess over).

I theorize that Alec didn't get to go exactly where he wanted and probably not 2077 either. I was confused exactly what he was doing with Kiera, other than he just wasn't actually mad at her. I suggest that either a) he and Escher had discussed a time and that was already programmed in or b) the time travel device was finally in the mode it was supposed to have been to all along and Alec got sent to the time frame the Liber8 members thought they were going to (now I know they were being played as much as Kiera was just being sent to shut her up so 2012 might have been the time set up in the first place).

Speaking of Fringe...I have been under the impression that the Freelancers are sort of time purists from a time beyond 2077 or at least from a timeline where maybe Alec or the Liber8 members were successful (I would suggest they weren't clear who was successful either since they were watching Alec and had imbedded someone in Liber8 - but seriously, that was a rewrite since why didn't he use any of his tricks on Kiera when they fought in season 1). So, I kind of wonder if Escher is telling the truth that he is Alec's father (which I am only fifty fifty on), is it possible that Alec that Alec is actually from the future (and maybe why his mother is so quick to support Julian?)

Then I kind of wonder if/when Escher actually left the Freelancers since they seemed anti 2077 Alec's plan (which makes me wonder if it was actually his plan or Escher's plan) or if 2077 Jason knew the full extent of it. And Jason and that Freelancer, were they both sent twenty years further back?
More+
Flag
"Time Travel is not just some technological marvel, Kiera ! - It's family business" - Escher

The smile on Escher's face, when Alec supposedly disappeared to "save her", could imply two possibilities:
1) Saving Emily is linked with the 'family business' - Emily = Jason's mom? Need to be saved for the continuum? - OR -
2) Escher didn't give a crap about Emily, nor were Alec's plan to save her - instead, it may be to confuse the freelancers on where he is actually going, perhaps to deal with the actual 'family business' (which doesn't include Emily, but the 2077 family) - and hence the half smile?

Reminds me of the smile on Old Alec's face at the 2077 execution. Plans were different than what everyone else knew.

Views?
Flag
Yeah, I think 1) Emily is Jason's mother.
Flag
I have been thinking about it, and to be honest, all the mentioned possibilites are possible...i really have no clue what is going to happen...but can't wait to know...!!
Flag
I think the first one is most likely but I hope for scenario number 3.
Flag
logic would say that no matter when Alec pops up the Freelancers can just wait at the place he left and look for him to return if he went forward. that only leaves backwards, but not knowing for sure their control of timelines, they could maybe do the same?. But for story purpase i guess he will succesed and it to believe in the save girlfriend scenario.
Flag
Another great one! Promoted to the homepage.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members