Continuum Forums

Friday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

2x13 - Finale Thoughts *Spoilers*

Cricketman_au

[1]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 10

So having just finished the finale, i have to admit that i am completely lost...But that is part of the enjoyment, I guess...

The Sadler family tree was a huge amount of info to take in in just one episode, but it will certainly make next season interesting to see just how evil Esher is, whether Alec is truly buying into his stories, and just what Jason's purpose is. I wonder where Alec will end up, Im assuming he calibrated the time machine to his own choices, rather than Kieras... (it would be interesting to see him sneaking around in 2077 tho).

Travis' apparent death is a shame but he was always a little one dimensional to me...

Carlos turning to Julian and Liber8 seemed like a strange choice, I mean, I get that he was disgruntled with how the police department was working, but I cant see how he considers what Liber8 does (eg. bombings) to be right...

It was interesting for Kiera to almost simultaneously be described as the woman who changed everything when she went back in time, and also the bad guy in everyone's eyes... To turn the show's heroine into a villain could be an interesting turns of events tho it would have to be done slowly

And WTF is with Chen and Jaworski still being alive?! I really hope it doesnt turn out that the 2013 Vancouver is all some sort of virtual reality...that would be a surefire way to kill the show.

Its gonna be a long 8 months ^_^

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mcepin3

[2]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 16

Last 2 episodes were the best and full of answers. Think Alec said he needs to save her,meaning his love Emily,so I guess he went back in time before she will die or when Esher hired her. I think he went into past and not future.

Nice twist,that Jason is his son,Esher his father.

I also agree,that Carlos going to Julian is strange and out of place. I knew it though,when police went on Esher's payroll,that they made first step in becoming something for future force...and I had to wait till the end of season

I still stand by my theory,that while Liber8 wanna change future,they are making it so,that it will happen the same,while Kiera is the one changing the future,while she thinks she wants to come back to same one. Which is catch 22 for her,no? Hates what Liber8 and terorists do,but wants to come back to the same future. I hope writers didn't forget,that they already changed future with Kiera catching that serial killer,unless they cop out and say,that someone changed that story in future,so that this paradox happens everytime.

Edited on 08/05/2013 9:44am

orxis

[3]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 6

Kiera has been changing the future in myriad ways since she appeared in 2012; catching the serial killer is only a very small part of this. I think that little detail was put in there in order to highlight that what Kiera does in 2012 is not already incorporated in her version of history in 2077. Given that fact, every other single thing she has done was also not part of her history. Which might mean that she has already irrevocably and substantially changed the future. On the other hand, maybe the timeline self-corrects, and only minor details would be different.

What I did not like about this episode though, was the logic behind the freelancers' actions. How is sequestering all time travelers going to preserve the timeline? What about all their past actions? Surely the amount of damage they have already done is way more severe than the consequences of Kiera's proposed solution. With Kiera's solution the only discrepancy would be her remembering her time travel; everything else would be restored. With the freelancers' solution all further damage is contained, but all the havoc liber8 and Kiera have already created remains intact - certainly a tremendously greater disruption than one person's memories! All in all, I found the whole storyline bad and disappointing given the quality of the rest of the show.

And while on the subject of poor plotting: How does being a freelancer make Chen alive? Freelancer or not, he was gunned down and his body was in a morgue freezer for weeks before being stolen by the freelancers. Are we supposed to believe that future technology can heal death!?!?!? That is way too ridiculous even for a time-travel TV show.

Edited on 08/05/2013 2:26pm
    Edited 4 total times.

mcepin3

[4]Aug 6, 2013

Catching serial killer was most notable one to me in this season,while at some episodes it's possible I missed some stuff,because some episodes were boring to me. I think we could go back and forth here,but I think writers still are making it so,that anything anyone does,it still will lead to that 2077 future. It is possible,that Freelancers will free serial killer.

You gave yourself answer on Freelancers capturing time travelers....that timeline somehow self-corrects itself. So everything Kiera and rest of the gang did was just catalyst(their past actions) and with them gone "out of picture",everything would start falling into place for 2077 future. Just a theory from my side.

I am more sad about Carlos's plot then Chen ,because I think wirters don't know what to do with Carlos. I think they should just kill him.

ma_liky

[5]Aug 6, 2013
    • level: 13
    First of all I think this show is quite amazing, and this finale was great. I think that the whole show has great writing, everything falls in to place. I will have to watch bought seasons again so I do not miss something for the next. I think Alec made huge mistake for making a trip to the past to save Emily or Maya. Because at the end "Freelancers" said his time line is ok. That should have happened, she is meant to be saved. And everyone else is locked up who can mess up 2077. Everyone who came from the future, except Chang. But Chang was the mole from the start, but by whom that puzzles me dough. Everything is set for 2077, except what Kiera did. If there werent for her Carlos would not have seen the future, would not have known what will happen in the future and going to join Liber8 is the best move ever. Noone had expected this and he has the insights, so teaming up with Julian he is fighting the right cause. So I can not wait for the next season when Alec sees he has made the only mistake he could have made. Great show!

mcepin3

[6]Aug 7, 2013

Carlos saw the future? Kiera only told him,not shown him or sent him to future.

And who was meant to be saved? Emily? I don't get that part you wrote.

To me Carlos going to Liber8 is just weak plot and he was never really much of a character in my eyes.

ma_liky

[7]Aug 7, 2013
    • level: 13
    Ok. Maybe I said it wrong. But Kiera did tell him everything, and he believes her. Just because you do not like his character doesnt mean he has not a purpose. I think that Carlos is the anomaly in the timeline along with Kiera.He is enemy No. 1, since Kiera is captured. So where is he to go then to Liber8. He will tell Julian everything, if he believes him the time line to 2077 is changed, and next season we are watching Liber8 against Usher. And yes I thought Emily. I think that in every timeline she dies and Alec saves her, so she can control Alec in some way. I think this because at the end Frelancer said that Alec is not a concern in this time line, that means that he is on track. I just do not get why are they all still alive.

Hasan999x

[8]Aug 9, 2013
    • level: 5

WOW.... just WOW !

Escher --> Alec --> and little Jason. Could have never imagined this possibility before this finale, but makes perfect sense now.

Many things to wonder:

1) The free-lancer guy in 2077 (with Jason) - must be a 2077 guy who must have traveled back to 2012 (and/or probably earlier), and then returned to 2077 to fix things. Doesn't it mean that the show would be focusing on only ONE time-line where time-travelers would keep changing the events. (If so, season 3 is going to be thrilling!)

2) Alec going back in time by 1 day to save Emiley? Wait, two Alec's?, oh and if he does save her, then he wouldn't actually time-travel at the end (basement), I wonder what happens at the basement then? Especially, with two Alec's !

There are more questions but, I guess i'll just wait for 8 months... unless I could time-travel

CharmedOneP391

[9]Aug 12, 2013
    • level: 19

This had to be one of the most confusing hours of television I've seen in the past year and a half. But I loved it.

My biggest question at this point is whether or not the time travelers who were imprisoned are even meant to escape? Why are they not dead? Was that meant to be in the "end" of this timeline and new one is created when Alec uses the device to go back and (presumably) save Emily? Is this how the writers are going to handle having what we saw in 2077 still be a possibility but have the presence of timeline-deletion a threat to the viewers as "loss?"

Or is Kiera and our other time travelers meant to escape the time-prison and continue their way into forming the future/changing the future? Did Alec fail to save Emily? Maybe he warns her and she wears a bullet proof vest and everything changes?

Too many possibilities to even take a guess. It's going to be a long 10 months.

Did anyone else notice the parallels between this episode and the 2nd season finale of Fringe where our main character was imprisoned?Continuum is officially my Fringe replacement.

mcepin3

[10]Aug 14, 2013

We all think Alec went to past to save Emily,but is this true? I was thinking these last days and I think Alec might have gone to the future by mistake or not,but he may be now in that prison from,where Kiera and prisoners "escaped" to past.

Or if he did go in past,as we all assume,he must have created new timeline and I mean NEW timeline,because if this has happened before,there should be 2 Alec's in "our" timeline,when Emily died.

KasenStuff

[11]Aug 19, 2013

Okay I can't understand what some of you are saying as your writing is ATROCIOUS... But I was just so confused with the last 2 minutes. Is Alec with Kiera or Esher? Where they are locked up, is that the future? Why are they locked up? I'm confused... And...Carlos went to liber8? Geez I just saw him go to some house with that chick. I'm so confused lol

Edit: just watched that again.... Hasn't it occurred to anyone that maybe Carlos joined to help change them from the inside? Sure he's just one man, but maybe he can prevent future bombings and stuff... I can't imagine he'd willingly join liber8 for any other reason.

Edited on 08/19/2013 2:08am
    Edited 2 total times.

fujin_mage

[12]Aug 22, 2013
    • level: 7
    i gather Alex is with kira.
    they were locked up because the time traveler guys with the dods between there fingers think they (liber8, kira, esher ect.) are polluting the time line, and they are doing... "Damage control" Season 2 ended before it began, remember kiras escape in 2x1. That has not happened yet in 2x13.
    But yea, this show makes your brain hurt with plot twisting... Carlos joined who??? didn't he "go on the lam" so to speak?

jonathanparham

[13]Nov 29, 2013

Just got caught up on season Two via Netflix. The last three episodes are outstanding and confusing.

Not sure why Carlos and Betty go to Julian. I don't think it's a bad plot point just a new development.

Also, not sure of what Lucas in the mental institution will do whether its just to write him off.

I like the turn of Escher, Jason, being all related. Also like that the freelancers are policeman just like in Time cop or Star Trek Deep-space 9.

Ive enjoyed the views of the future this season. Alecs older self with Garza, the pembroke factory where Julian/Theseus kills everyone, the antimatter engineer plot point, Chen and Travis's communication in Prison, and even a little back story on Keieras addicted sister.

There a lots of storylines introduced this season and I look forward to seeing how the writers handle season three.