Continuum Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on ShowcaseIn Season

Likes and dislikes.

druncen

[1]Jun 19, 2012
    • level: 8

I started this thread because I watched the first 4 episodes and I have a big dislike about this show. It's not the only one, but it's the one that annoys me a lot: Rachel Nichols acting performance!

Is she always like that? (I only remember her from Star Trek, where her part is to small to tell)

Most of the time she looks like she is showing the wrong emotion/expression. In scenes that she is supposed to be really emotional she looks somewhat expressionless or at least not emotional enough. When she is supposed to act tough, she doesn't look tough enough!
    I could add a few more examples, but those are the two I've noticed more so far.

Is it me or does anyone else thinks the same?

I usually don't comment on these things and I do like the show concept, but there are a few things that are really annoying in this show, and Rachel Nichols performance so far is the thing that really annoys me the most.

Please feel free to disagree with me or post any other likes and dislikes about this show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TylerA46

[2]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 11

Something is missing. They should connect the dots before it gets canceled. And too much shooting without actually hitting the target.

JolarEQ

[3]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 3

I have no problems with Rachel's performance. Every time I see someone mention it, I get a tad confused, as I think she is doing a fine job.

Oh, and to the second poster about the lack of hitting things while shooting, have you ever watched any tv show or movie before that had people shooting at others? That's a common trope, never hitting anything while shooting. Happens EVERYwhere!

ripclaw69

[4]Jun 26, 2012
    • level: 4
    I'm with the OP on this one, Rachel Nichols is really bugging me out,she seems to have only that one slightly confused look, and it comes across as very emotionless. In general, I'm giving the show a few more episodes, but the lack of charisma and the utter horror I feel thinking about that corporate future makes it very hard for me to empathize with the supposedly good guys.

JolarEQ

[5]Jun 27, 2012

ripclaw69 wrote:
    the utter horror I feel thinking about that corporate future

You do realize that it's not the future that is going to be like that? It's actually the present? In this show, the corps have just finally taken over. Nowadays, they just buy the votes they need, so it's essentially the same thing.

ltcomstella

[6]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 17

how else can she play a 'fish out of water' character ???

she's alone except for alex

she's lost her family and is in a strange old time period.

yes the guns are stupid large ammo clips that never run out (mythbusters lol) and always missing.

my bug bear is kellogg his 'double agent' role seems a bit stupid and HOW did liber8 actually found out he was playing both sides ? surely if the guy was that clever he'd notice he was being followed... then we have the complete smackdown of the grand 'mother'/ father paradox ?!!

yeah with out him kiera is in trouble but most 'gangs' terrorists would of ended him...

PeterWemm

[7]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 1

There's been some really bad stuff on TV lately, and the trend sure seems downwards. But damn it, I'm enjoying continuum!

In fact, it isn't just "lately". There has been bad acting on TV for years. Try looking at some "successful" shows like A-Team or MacGyver sometime for some perspective.

Take it for what it is. A fish out of water. The good guys that are bad guys, the bad guys that are good guys, and a whole rainbow of grey in between. Everyone's motives are negotiable when you're cut off. I think I'm enjoying it because it's grey.

Not to mention the whole time travel / paradox issue and the participants meeting each other out of order. For example, Alec knew exactly who Kiera was before the escape, and either knew about it and/or facilitated it. I'm interested to see if the writers can stay honest about cause and effect on this.

I'd almost want to bet that there's a jump forwards in time, except that suddenly makes production costs 100x more expensive.

TX6000

[8]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 4

Personally, I've been waiting for a TV show like this to come back on air, all my favorite Sci-Fi shows seem to get canned :-)

I have no problem so far with acting on the show, I actually think the character of Kiera is a little emotionally withdrawn, for instance when Carlos and her have to hand a case over to the military Kiera seem puzzled as to why Carlos is upset and surprised to find Carlos takes his work more personally than she expected.

We are only a few episodes into the show and I feel it's still developing it core storyline regarding the Terrorists and Corporations in the future, I'm giving this show a good chance.

Badhab1t

[10]Aug 18, 2012

Dislike?Julian Randol. I really whish they kill that annoying kid. Nothing like angst kid that killing one's reason to see Liber8 as pure terrorist.

Personally I hope they keep up with moral question about Liber8. Terrorist or Freedom fighters. As same with Keira's own question about her believe in the "old(future)" system.

Edited on 08/18/2012 2:37pm

blazer666_uk

[11]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 6
    Her acting seems fine to me.....dont understand what people are on about........

stealth97

[12]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 11

I was thinking about the same thing more or less. I like the show a lot. Her acting is not that bad but she's definitely not the right actress for the part. I don't buy her "tough" routine at all. I sort of laugh everytime on the inside when I see that.

haldrey

[13]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 22
    I am new to this show since it just started in the USA and after just watching a couple of episodes I can agree with two things mentioned above. The acting by Rachel Nichols is not the best and too much shooting without hitting anyone. As to Rachel Nichols acting well, I have seeing her before in a small piece in Star Trek and in season 6 of Criminal Minds, not a memorable acting by a long shot. So far the show as a whole is interesting and promising. I just have one thing that bother me and that is that the characters from the future went back only 50 years and it should have been at least 200 years to make the differences more believable.

ma_liky

[14]Feb 1, 2013
    • level: 13
    I just started watching the show and I really like it. I live in Serbia and the best shows comes last every time.

I agree with who said Fish out of water. Can You imagine how it would be for you? Everything you know just vanished, you are stuck somewhere in the past (63 years ago), you have a chip in your head, you can communicate in a whole different level? Would you be alien to them? You dont know how to act or react? Just imagine how it was 63 years ago... 1950 or 1949 ... You come up with your Samsung SIII and say Hey look what I can do . How would they look at you? Alien? And how would you act? Martin Luther King... JFK was a teenager... Elvis, The Beatles etc Crazy right.