Continuum Forums

Friday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

Who to support?

Stophon

[1]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 1

From the two episodes we have so far i get theimpressionthey don't want us supporting therebels, But from what the have shown us of them they are fighting for freedom not domination.

do you think this trend will continue or do you think the fact of being trapped in the passed where she (Kiera) canwitnesswhat freedom was like before the corporation legislation was passed. theneventuallyhelp them prevent it from happening?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MisterKez

[2]Jun 17, 2012
    • level: 4

I agree. I have only watched one episode so far, but I find it extremely difficult to support a corporate governance. I have read too much to believe that the corporations have our best interests at heart, therefore, until otherwise convinced (which will take a lot to convince me) I will be supporting the rebels. Also, the rebels have Rommie, Lexa Doig.

bendylegsnick

[3]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 15

I definitely agree, the rebels seem like massive dicks in present time, but they were fighting for liberty in the future, so should we support their cause, but not their tactics? The same problem is with Kiera, in that I don't like her cause, but she is technically trying to stop present day carnage at the hands of the rebels. I will be hoping for an eventual team-up.

annpo

[4]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 13
    I've just watched the 4th episode and I'm still on the side of Liberate. I just don't like their tactics. Surely all they need do is influence the achitects of the future on a different path rather than killing people.

The show's certainly growing on me - I wasn't too fussed after the first episode - but I love the premise.

JolarEQ

[5]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 3

I think I'm on the side of the corporations. From what they show us of the future, things don't look TOO bad, not any worse than they are now, to be honest. The "rebels", Liber8, they are terrorists. I know people don't like that word being flung around, but if you blow up a building, killing thousands of innocents just to try and kill a handful of people, guess what, you're a terrorist, plain and simple. I don't care WHAT your ideals are, the moment you commit mass murder of innocents, you are no longer a good guy.

There are a lot of groups that claim to be on the side of good, but have their own hidden agenda. Liber8 seems to be that type to me. And to be honest, I don't have a problem with corporations running things, as long as they do a good job, and make life good for the people. And has Liber8 actually said WHY they don't want the corps in charge? I mean, aside from the whole "you're all slaves!!" rhetoric, that is. Have they given concrete reasons WHY the corps are bad? Again, everything seemed ok, from what they've shown, and unless I've missed something, the corps don't seem to have done anything truly horribly bad. Until I'm shown something different, I'm on the side of the corps.

Jammet

[6]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 10
    That's the one single thing done extremely well in the series. I just wonder if this is by intention. You see, nobody sane *wants* to be evil or do harm. The future depicted in the series is pretty bleak if you ask me. The world run by corporations? God forbid! Not that our current kings and queens are perfect. They all have skeletons in the closet. But from what I can deduce, it's almost safe to say that a corporation -- any of them -- have skeletons in their mass closet collections. I support the rebels. Desperate as they are.

Clunky as the acting may be, the series surprised me with a layer of depth. I'll be back for me, even though I strongly dislike the supposed protagonist.

bendylegsnick

[7]Jun 26, 2012
    • level: 15

JolarEQ wrote:

I think I'm on the side of the corporations. From what they show us of the future, things don't look TOO bad, not any worse than they are now, to be honest. The "rebels", Liber8, they are terrorists. I know people don't like that word being flung around, but if you blow up a building, killing thousands of innocents just to try and kill a handful of people, guess what, you're a terrorist, plain and simple. I don't care WHAT your ideals are, the moment you commit mass murder of innocents, you are no longer a good guy.

There are a lot of groups that claim to be on the side of good, but have their own hidden agenda. Liber8 seems to be that type to me. And to be honest, I don't have a problem with corporations running things, as long as they do a good job, and make life good for the people. And has Liber8 actually said WHY they don't want the corps in charge? I mean, aside from the whole "you're all slaves!!" rhetoric, that is. Have they given concrete reasons WHY the corps are bad? Again, everything seemed ok, from what they've shown, and unless I've missed something, the corps don't seem to have done anything truly horribly bad. Until I'm shown something different, I'm on the side of the corps.

You know who else are terrorists? Almost any kind of revolutionists ever. They are technically fighting a war and casualties are to be expected. I don't agree with their tactics in that they all seem blase about the value of human life, but lots of people have done bad things to liberate people form oppression.

JolarEQ

[8]Jun 27, 2012
    • level: 3

bendylegsnick wrote:
    You know who else are terrorists? Almost any kind of revolutionists ever. They are technically fighting a war and casualties are to be expected. I don't agree with their tactics in that they all seem blase about the value of human life, but lots of people have done bad things to liberate people form oppression.

Oh, I agree with you. But just because someone is a revolutionist does not mean they are fighting for what the majority wants. They are fighting for what THEY want, whether it's for the good of the majority or not.

Merkavar

[9]Jul 2, 2012
    • level: 2

to me both sides seem to a valid cause to fight for. the terrorists are fighting for freedom and all that good stuff from a world controlled by corporations and the cop is fighting to save lives and get back to her family and punish people who killed what 30000 people.

but in the end no matter the cause the terrorists methods seem to be what makes them the bad guys, killing thousands plus all the others they kill in 2012 with out an remorse. they just seem the worse side.

isnt better the devil you know a good enough reason to view the cops as the good guys?

mattgrimsey3

[10]Jan 3, 2013

This is a good question and what makes Continuum a great show for this point in time. A lot of people are going to root for Liber8 - yet in S1 at least they were obviously scum! I'm not saying the Corps of 2077 are angels, they're obviously not whiter than white either but I can certainly understand why Kiera would support them to start with at least.

Let's see how S2 plays out first. Under Sonya's leadership, Liber8 may change their tactics to an extent.

Arwen

[11]Jan 5, 2013

I know what you mean. Just finished watching the first episode and can't seem to sympathize with either side. Don't appreciate the methods used by liber8, but don't like the idea of corporations ruling over the world either! Going to continue watching though because I'm interested in knowing how the writers handle the whole morally ambiguous scenario. Simply though, when people start using words like 'collateral damage' and justify killing of innocents - whether terrorists, freedom fighters, corporations or mighty governments - then in my book they can never be on the side of the angels, however grand their ideals might have been to start with.

Marburg66

[12]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 6

When I was little, my heroes were Robin Hood and Luke Skywalker. Both considered 'terrorists' by their respective governments.

I don't get sucked into a simplistic black/white/good/evil viewpoint whenever the word 'terrorist' is thrown around like candy, because once I came to understand the old saying "One man's hero is another man's terrorist" life became much more complicated than the intelligence-insulting, bite-sized, ratings-grabbing, polarizing narrative my countries' media has been doleing out through my lifetime...especially whenever 'terrorists' are mentioned.

Go ahead & put me in the Liber8 column.

bmoshier

[13]Jan 18, 2013
    • level: 46

OK, this is a long posting. It touches on multiple areas of support ... support for liber8, corporations, stable democracies, time loop changes, etc . . .

I support liberty and governments, now and in the future. Yet, the ends can't justify the outcome / means, but when the ends is so bad an equal means may be necessary.

Of course, if God exists this entire discussion is moot, but what if he doesn't?

From what I can tell choice one (time loop) is the directions the creators and writers are taking. The previews at the end of episode 1, as well as the summaries, recaps, and comments about season 1 point in this direction. Seeing how Alec reacted in the execution chamber and when meeting the "protector" for the first time in HER time line all point to time loop. If this is the case, then the series (for me) won't be interesting. Why? Two reasons:

1) Seeing the destruction of democracy (by anyone) is not on my wish list (even if it is just a story).

2) Time loops where you can't change the course has no real twists and THUS no science fiction mystery / thought provoking plots twists. The way Star Trek Next Generation did the time loop and how in the recent movies we see the future can change is exciting!!!

What would be interesting is seeing how changes in the past can and do affect the future.

First possible plot direction: One of liber8 figures out how to see the future and notices small changes at the same time, though, Alec and the future protector intercepts the work. Both sides start making changes and the two sides end up wiping out humanity completely!

The cop / protector wants to get back to her family and in her mind that means protecting the time line. Yet, she realizes her work is part of the reason her husband and Son don't exist. The two sides need a truce and plan to bring humanity back. While she wants it back the way it was when they left, she matures and sees the corporations for what they are and the value of democracy. The liber8 have to accept peaceful ways and to work to keep governments stable and corporations "in their place."

Second possible plot: Some from an even farther future contacts both sides giving them the ability to see the future and knowledge on how to change the past. It could turn out that Alec of 2077 knows this will occur and also realizes when everything works out the time line with the corporations congress will evaporate (but into what)?

Ah, yes, his family and their opinions will shape what Alex allows and maybe it is why he in the first go round helps to over throw the governments by destabilizing them.

Third possible plot: When the group goes back, Alec send back to himself information, which he gets say in season 2 or 3. It ends up going back at the same time as the execution (thus there is ONLY one time travel event) and not a future (e.g. 207 one (as in the above thought). It comes out or Alec finds it in say in 2013 / 2014. His future self tells his present self how everything turns out and why it is best to change his past (the present), as well as suggestions on how to do it safely.

This thought / direction could create a break between Alec and the protector / cop, as well as send him towards the liber8. She wants to insure her Son and life exists, but in time comes to realize she can have her Son and a better life. The liber8 have to realize they need to accept a peaceful direction and Alec has to go into politics and can't stay in science (where he feels most comfortable). Everyone has to grow and mature in different ways.

Side note: Yes, I know (at least in the USA) corporations greatly influence government. Part of this comes from corporations having the rights of people in many (but not all) respect.

Bottom line: No one person, group, or company should have influence so great as to cause the government to do damage to the people for only his/its own benefit. Government and the elected officials should govern to the benefit of the people based upon the direction selected by the people. (Yeah, mighty powerful words and you find them on TV.com? WOW, right?)

To answer the original question, though. I do NOT support the liber8 methods in episode 1, as IMHO it could be what ends up causing the very problems they rebelled against. On the other hand, well, you know I support the people over corporations.

Last comment: I'm glad Syfy picked up this series in the same way it did Lost Girl. I'm sad, though, they did it after season 1 instead of waiting (like with Lost Girl) for season 2 and almost season 3. WHY? Simple: I could tell if the series will be a waste of time. As I say, a series showing the downfall of democracy has not interest to me.

Time travel where you can change the future and have a way to see into the future and the facilities to "drive" towards the future would, well, be very interesting and exciting.

Maybe this is where the series is heading, but at the end of season 1 -- from what I read on the Internet, the direction seems to be time loop, which doesn't change.

Maybe we'll be lucky and one of the writers / creators reads this forum, sees these comments and agrees changing the past is interesting enough to promote this direction when writing season 2 or 3 or 4 . . .

Thanks for sticking around!

bmoshier

[14]Jan 23, 2013
    • level: 46

Now into the second episode and even more I'm in favor of changing the time line, period, to support governments and democracy. So, bottom line, I'm not in favor of either the liber8 or the officer. I'm in favor of people and will support those who change the future to help us.

I doubt the writers read tv.com forums, but if they do . . . please, allow the future to change for the better.