Continuum

Friday 10:00 PM on Syfy Premiered May 27, 2012 Between Seasons

neomichel

Continuum Fan Reviews page 2 of 4

• end of season 2...

I stumbled across this show by accident and I am so glad I did, it is excellent, and quite frighteningly outlines the potential future that is held for us all... privacy invation is everywhere, even on this sight, I wanted to write a review and could log in using facebook, but to be able to do this, i needed to give the sight access to my friends list my birth date etc.... it is so easy to give it all up.... where is it all going...

The show taps into this, and as the previous reviewer mentions, you really don't know who to support, a police state, or the people fighting for our right to privacy and independence, albeit using very hostile means to achieve their end point.... this is a war that has already started, most of us just aren't aware yet..

• love this show but...

I love this show, have been hooked since ep 1. the only issue I'm having a hard time with is I don't know who to support. I understand what Liber8 is trying to do, after all my own country rebelled and fought for it's independence against tyranny. However, their tactics are a bit bloody and cold. It seems that there are fractions of the Liber8 movement now with Julian in one corner (supported by Travis who bowed out per request of Julian, but still running his ring of Gang lackeys) and then Sonya and Lucas trying to work the political angle, and there is the weird development of Garza who had secondary orders from future Alec himself. On the flip side is Kiera who just wants to go home and prevent the deaths of millions. Yeah, I get that, but the system she works for creeps me out. Esp in the most recent episodes with future Julian and "flash back" from the future scene with Kiera stating that all "data" (memories and moments of one's life) were stored somewhere! OMG scary! So who should we support?! Kiera? well, certainly to a point the whole good cop defending the innocents is great, but then Liber8 is trying to stop a police state from forming, while the break off group of Lucas and Sonya seem to be in a if you can't beat them join them kind of game plan using politicians, and then Alec's main squeeze even has an agenda! WHO is Escher for god's sake? Who are these freelancers? I just wish I knew who to support here. though I suppose it's not one for us to support or bemoan but just watch as a true voyeur. Either way, I love this show.
  • Absolutely some of the best Sci-Fi writing!

I am more and more amazed each week with the intricate writing and the sci-fi special effects... fantastic work! It is also a pleasure seeing some of the veteran actors from previous sci-fi shows Roger R. Cross and Lexa Doig. Keep up the great work!
  • Continuum started out decent, but has evolved into one of the best science fiction shows ever.

It is a serial with an ongoing story arc that intertwines not only episodes but seasons. The question of whether or not Kiera has changed the future by time traveling back or if she was always meant travel back (and is forming the future she left is a question that probably wont be answered until the series finale of the show (maybe sooner who knows)) but it's one of several ongoing mysteries this series wants the audience to question throughout it's run.

One of the best things about the show is that the story is somewhat morally ambiguous and that's a great thing to have. Not telling the audience what is right and wrong is a great way to be able to tell a story without alienating certain opinions. You want to agree with Kiera but a the same time the 2077 system is not the greatest and Liber8 has great points.

As of the end of the second season, the show has officially grew into an amazing gem. It's following in Fringe's footsteps which is a compliment and I cant wait to see how this series handles it's use of different timelines and I can't wait for the time travel "rules" of the Continuum Universe to finally be resolved. Kiera is a great character as is Alec, and Carlos is alright. I cant wait for the 3rd season and hopefully more after that!
  • A Show that started as just a Good Sci-Fi "Fix" , but it gradually became one of the best Sci-Fi Series

This Series from the start had great potential ,storytelling wise . Time Travel from a dystopian future , where everything is controlled from Companies , and there is no thing such as privacy , where the technology is embedded in human bodies to the point that can record your memories and erase the one that are inconvenient for the system. The irony is that the "hero" believes that this is the right way , and the Baddies are trying to change this future and are considered terrorists. But at the first season the show didn't deliver this potential , but it show some glimpses of it . Overall was of course a very good show to Watch . The first few episodes of season two seamed somehow disconnected , and not on par to first season . The main problem till then was the excess of the Melodrama , and a hefty part on an episode was consumed on kieras Emotions about her husband and Child while she was stranded on another era. And it was much more than it needed , making the show more of a soap opera than a sci-fi . But Suddenly a miracle Happened . At Episode S02E05 they decided to change the excessive drama , and focus more at Kiera's Character Development at the current timeline , and since then every episode was getting better and better coming to the last episodes which were really really great , and the incredible final Episode which is one of the best episodes in sci-fi TV in general . The only problem with the show , is that most of the secondary characters are a little Flat and one dimensional . But i Believe that the main Characters Carlos and Alec are depicted excellent . At First i thought that Rachel Nichols was not so effective for the role , not liking very much her depiction of Kiera . And any point she could be so cold and distad and at the next second, she would be a crying and overwhelmed , with nothing in the between . Nichols is a Gorgeous and astonishing Woman , one of the most beautiful actresses , and my first thought was that Kiera should be Miss Earth 2077 not a cop. But I was Wrong , as i didn't get the character at first . Watching the Show , i understanded that this is how a Woman and mother cut from her family and placed in an "allien" place should Be . So Now i Believe that Nichols is really Great as Kiera and has done a great job , Although i don't agree with the tendency in Tv-series Casting that all their main actors -actresses are so over the average good looking , even when the role doesn't require that . Anyway depending how they handle things in season 3 , we might start talking for a Sci-Fi Classic
  • Great Scifi Show!!!!

Cool Cast

Keeps getting better each episode.

Go the Canadians!!!
  • Excellent Series

Really love Continuum. One of my favorite shows. It's very well written/masterfully done. Perhaps one of the very best. Keep up the great work! I hope the show lasts for 12 seasons if it continues like this! :)
  • Number one series

I liked it from the beginning and started to looking forward to each next episode. Even though I know that there must be a turn after the last episode with everyone in these seethrough cages, I keep wondering what it might be.

I felt bad after the last show. But then I didn't know there would be a third season... so there is hope. Maybe another Kiera from the future or other timeline will save everybody. Who knows what wil happen.

As far as the paradoxes: I don't believe in that. I think there are two major things happening with the future: either, everything they do will lead to the future they want to prevent, or an alternative future will pop up. There is this interesting story of (I thought Heinlein, but I might be wrong) a man who went through so many altarnative timelines, that in the end he met his female self. Meaning: anything can happen. So in continuum. I'm looking forward to the next season....
  • Great Show

Many scifi shows have loads of plot holes and gaffs but this one doesn't, at least nothing noticeable. It is basically a Cop show with time travel and gadgets thrown in for good measure. It is quite well written and though I think Kiera's overexagerated desire to return to her own time is a bit too hammy the show is otherwise a great watch. I can't wait to see Season 3.
  • Time theory

As some wrote, the fact that Kiera changed the future by arresting the serial killer might be a hint that the future can be changed, and that it does not affect memories -- or one's past timeline. As someone else pointed out, this might just be a trick, and writers could make pieces fall together -- we won't know until the end.

However, the few "in this timeline" final words tend to direct us to the old and usual time theory, where paradoxes result in the continuum being divided into parallel timelines. Gross, but convenient.

This might explain why Chen is still alive (coming from another timeline). And what if Lucas' visions were from parallel timelines as well ? Him mentionned after being totally forgotten by the show ? He sure has some role to play in the upcoming events... Good thing is, there are still many doors left open to diverge to any kind of answers. We don't actually know where Chen's reappeared from, neither what Alec might have changed in the past he allegedly went to. If any, it's with our time that Continuum has been playing. Serious time-mess might start in the next season.

Opening the paradox door is surely tempting, but risky as well. This exercise, if not handled carefully, can end up very badly.

Take Fringe, for example. The two parallel universes were really well-managed, and characters exchange lead up to many intense situations, while preserving the intergity of the show's universe. On the other hand, there were some really ill-advised moves : the popping-out-to-thin-air+underwater-reappearance of Peter, the god-knows-why observer's invasion still makes me feel nauseous about this show. Earlier, mixing self, future-self, alternate-self, parallel-self, robot-self... at the same time just made me not care about characters -- there will still be some other "self" left no matter how many were killed.

Lost, despite many failures, provided one utterly perfect demonstration of a rigid timeline.

As I can't think of a show that experimented on self-correcting future, I'll mention the "Looper" movie, which deals in its own way with "self correction".

So, there are plenty of opportunities for Continuum just now, and the father-son twist gives us hope that writers know what they're doing.

Of course, we have to endure Carlos absurd behavior (turning to Julian, not avenging on the mole that almost got him killed), a police that looks like a grocery store (come and go as you like !), badass psychopaths with so much good intentions -- tough childhood for sure, and an especially weird lock-them-in-a-box-instead-of-killing-them-so-they-can-escape-and-mess-again-with-the-timeline-in-season-3 final.

But what will forge the identity of this show will be the strength of it's time theory. If carefully weaved, it will redeem it all.
  • Great show

I really like this show. This is basically because of the sophisticated storyline. I can't remember a show where the audience is "taught" to cheer for a character who is actually supporting the bad guys. And the terrorists are brutal their cause is is a really cool story concept. (The only thing that comes close is Clint Eastwood's western film, We are bonding with the police woman, but we all know the show's corporations are the bad guys. I actually have fun watching each episode cheering for both sides! No, the writers for the show are not trying to make corporations look good. They are trying to deliver a sophisticated storyline that makes us question what is right and wrong, highlighting the idea that both sides can be the good guys, depending on how you watch the show. Well done writers! More in season 3!
  • Small pieces to a great puzzle

At first I thought this was a mediocre Sci-Fi show at best, but it got better and better!

Only the first 3 episodes of season 2 were boring, but Season 2 enhanced so much.

I really hope Alec can save his girlfriend in the past, she is exactly my type^^
  • Great Show

Love the show, Season 1 & 2 kept me on the edge of my seat with all the

mysteries. Kiera(Rachel Nichols) get us glued to the TV with her story

of her being sent back in time to 2012. She has to fight Liber8(A

terrorist group) to get back to her family and avoid changing the

future too much.

So happy to hear that Shaw Case announced that they will be renewing

the show for a third season. Season 3 will be coming out early 2014.

Hope the third season get's me exited the same way as the other two

did.
  • Great show

I think this is probably the best sci fi show on TV at the moment. I loved season 1 and am loving season 2. My only gripe would be I think they could be making better use of Kellog in season 2 as his character has been very much sidelined in the episodes so far. Season 1 seemed to spend a lot of time making him more likeable whereas season 2 seems to be concentrating on doing the opposite.
  • Clever show!

I love this show. Great story. set pieces tightly put together and fun to watch also.
  • great show

Smartly written, great Actors, nicely tight Plots. It's a pleasure to watch the show. I didn't think I was going to like this show, but it surprised me. There have been So many plot twists that now I suspect everyone are plotting with the other side. I even suspect that Emily is a time traveller too, double crossing the corporation she is working for.
  • Best series ever!

The only other series which keeps me entertain this much is Elementary. For Continuum I love the fact how it is relevant for our time where corporation controls and influences the US and world governments to extends we dont even know. So far they have been helping the NSA to spy on pretty much all users of Facebook, Google, AOL, etc. I am sure there are many twists and turns to this coming, just hope the writers do not go lame us on and keep the story as it is.
  • Misconceptions

All of the reviewers who think that Continuum is some type of propaganda or that it sympathizes with big corporations are way off base and out of touch. The fact that the group of characters in the show who are fighting for liberty (liber8) favor violence as a tool is not meant to demonize real life people who want those same freedoms and rights, nor is it meant to make freedom/rights advocates synonymous with terrorists. It's meant to prove that two different groups of people can have the same passion and fervency for one thing (liberty), yet, simultaneously, have irreconcilable ideology about another thing (murder as a means to an end). People often hate what they don't understand. That is why I think the authors of the low score reviews don't like Continuum. Put frankly, they can't wrap their heads around the complex and dynamic protagonist/antagonist relationships of the story. This show isn't just the old familiar proverbial "good guy vs. bad guy" narrative. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, though. And I get the appeal of a single, clearly-defined antagonist and protagonist, but that's not how life is. To me, the most alluring aspect of Continuum--besides Rachel Nichols--is the stark contrast between the fantasticalness of the technology and the verisimilitude of the morality. Check out this URL to discuss, debate, and read about Continuum more in depth:
  • A different story... to me at least.

This es ESPECTACULAR I love it ! It's so different from the other series I watch. And Rachel Nichols is such a god actriss. I cried when she talked to his holograic son, it was so sad. I really enjoy it and don't know what would happend in every episode. I just hope Carlos can be hes man. And Alex... lets hope he won't make the same mistakes.
  • Cryptic..

5.5
    not always a good thing. I think this show is too cryptic-you have to have watched the previous episodes to understand what is happening in the newer episodes. Acting is average and the script is, well, maybe not so spectacular. The concept of time travel is somehow lost in all the movements of the story in the world of the present. Not that impressed.
  • good, but so wrong!!!

What i like most about the show is its revalence in the world today. The economics of corperations, are influcing goverments in the real world, and thats a BAD thing, witch is also the worst thing about this show, its made so that most audinces will root for kira and the corperations, and thats a bunch of BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!

I was hopeing through out s1 that kira would "get it" and start hating on the corporations, but no....

this is a good show, it just has the worst message in history, and its so wrong!!!

FUCK THE CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • No One Even Tracked the suspected Mole After Her Release.. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid..

Show is getting to "Soap Opera Like" really quickly now. The plots have no real substance & police procedures are about as stupid as you can get. For one, if I suspected someone of being a mole I'd follow their every movement but in this episode the one person they arrest gets out of jail & then meets a bad guy moments later. At the very least the episode should have ended with 20 cops coming out of no where to arrest her immediately after getting in the SUV..
  • Great Synopsis for a Sci Fi Series

It's one of those futuristic hi-tech technology with a taste of a female version of the Terminator. Except she's not a robot just a human with cool tech that I wouldn't be surprised if not too far in the near future cops have that type of equipment. Plus, I like the fact that it relates to today's modern world where corporations actions determines the US outcome economically. It's nice when someone plays possible scenarios of what could happen if corporations run the government and the people. Smart writer! I look forward to more episodes.
  • Clever Corporate Manipulation Bull... but A good show... SAD

Corporate Super Cop Hit Woman.... vs Anti-Corporate Thugs. The heroin- loving mother, pretty, smart, compassionate, SS style super Cop. Product of Corporate America. The Villains- The Evil, brutal, heartless thugs, who oppose Corporate control... OF COURSE... Opposition to the almighty Corporation has left any actual cause buried far behind the blood lust and brutality. What first appears as Dark Satire, shows itself as quite different once you pay attention. Corporate Future World... Happy little boy, just wants mommy to read him a bedtime story. Those who oppose Corporate control.. Cruel, heartless, and EVIL... even went as far as to mimic the 9/11 trade tower attack, as the outcome of ant-corporation activism. Nice Message for the more impressionable younger viewers..... Very minor negativity shown in the Corporate Future World, except the anti-corporation revolutionaries. This is not SATIRE... it is just one little step in gaining corporate allies. I like the show, I hate to say, BUT I can't help but notice, That it is promoting a very EVIL agenda.... under the guise of SATIRE
  • The smartest action/scifi since Fringe!

This show is my favorite scifi since Fringe ended, except where Fringe had a weak 1st season, I was absorbed by Continuum immedlately - It is one of several of new waves of scifi-esque shows but it does everything well!

I'll agree with some of the other reviewers that the anti-corporation ideology can be a little thick...

Other than that one criticism, I have only great things to say about Continuum! The acting is top-shelf compared to other scifis (cough, Defiance), the story is moving along at quite a brisk pace - they don't lean on the procedural 'criminal-of-the-week' near as much as most other shows (even Fringe did it more).

My only hope is that they continue to explore the other timelines, or at least discuss timetravel and the future as the show goes on. Liber8 seems to be failing but I have no doubt there will be more depth by the end of the season :D

• At least its smarter than revolution.

I really wanted to like this show. The espoused ideology and the over the top portrayals of psychopathic anti-corporatists is patently ridiculous though and really, assuming "freedom fighters" from the future are evil nutjob psycho's is it really that hard to kill one cop... At least its not as mind numbingly-dumb as "Revolution". I only made it through a 1/2 the first season, so maybe it gets better...
  • Good but

The Sci-Fi part is getting a little bit dim. But it''s a better series than the rest that are on tight now (Defiance?)
  • Wild eyed liberals

Just to be clear, this TV series is written by wild-eyed, left wing, socialist liberals. But that aside, it is a great time travel story. The good guys and the bad guys don't really make much sense. Corporations take over the world, but they have created a Congress to do so. And, oh yes, there is lots of regulation. Clearly, whoever wrote this has never set on a board for anything. But, like a lot of the radical stuff on TV today, I can get past it and still have fun. This is a good one.
  • Good Science Ficition, a rare thing

Most Sci Fy shows don't last long anymore, a sad thing, even the scify channel is mostly dumb shows these days. I am glad their is still one good scyfy show that has survived. I really like it, my biggest fear was it wouldn't come back for a second season. I love it. I am a dire hard fan and I want to see it last many season!
  • very good

the best sci-fi for this year until now
1 2 3 4