Continuum

Sunday 10:00 PM on Showcase Premiered May 27, 2012 In Season

neomichel

Continuum Fan Reviews (96)

• It's 1984, but 2077

For those who claim that Continuum is propaganda for corporate America, I think you've missed the point. IMO people may find it hard to swallow when the freedom fighter is presented as less than honourable, though this is often the case in reality. Corporate government seems like a terrible future, so why does the "heroine" fight to keep it in power? Obviously because she has swallowed the party line, but equally obviously, she'll probably eventually start to question things once she has a taste of good ol' fashioned democracy. I think a lot of people will have difficulty adjusting to a show where the good guys and bad guys aren't clearly defined (like pablum for the masses) but I really hope that they renew a second season.

As the series progresses, the character development adds more dimensions to the story (Kellog, Kagame, Alec) and I have a feeling it needs some time to become something truly great. Every episode makes me think, which is better than any special effect. If you stopped watching, I suggest you pick it up again.
  • It has been renewed

Yesterday showcase renewed Continuum for a second season!

• Excited about the potential of this show

For the first several seconds I was a little worried about a show led by Rachel Nichols because I did not like her in CM. Well, forget about that.

Short version: Put doubts like that and give this show a chance.

Why?

Conclusion

There is definitely a show worth watching and supporting. It's not cheesy or unrealistic and themes will keep you intrigued.

1) The premise is intriguing.

Near-future social apocalypse is not a new theme but the timing of this show is excellent. Many plot lines will hit close to home. Terrorism, privacy, freedom, corporate power, and government suppression are all current issues that have been blended well in the show.

2) Very cool near-future tech

It remains to be seen how long budget will allow producers to present more of the cool tech we saw in the first few episodes but the creators have done a great job taking existing tech and working theories and turning them into viable near-future tech.

3) The "bad guys" are very interesting and many viewers (and perhaps some of the characters) may find themselves questioning what is good and what is evil.

Where the show needs work?

- A strong female lead is great but that does not mean the male characters have to be idiots. This is where the US version of "Prime Suspect" went wrong. In the first half of the season they made the male characters stupid clowns (perhaps to boost the female lead) and viewers rejected it. I hope the writers understand that a show can have more than one strong character and that every lead needs weaknesses. If not, then they need to bring in Joss Whedon right away.

- Cover story needs improvement. How long can she stay a "special agent" with no badge or credentials? That is a weakness that some can forgive but it's a major leap so it needs reinforcement.

• Series to the future

I rated this Series with 10 out of 10 because it's different and it gives me the opportunity to see beyond present times. It makes me think outside of the box and see the things from many different perspectives.

I love the drama, I love the script, I love how all the characters blend into this beautiful created series. I love how it starts and how it ends each and every episode. It's one movie that if I play it in 10 years from now it will still make a difference.

I just hope this series won't end soon because it's so much to build and create that people won't have a choice, they will simply love it.
  • Good Start

Great story, acting is good. Likeable characters, no anoying "WEASLY" type characters and a very solid storyline. Again some people will dislike this show for being too political and close to the bone.. or maybe some hard truths about the way the world is run today, I just enjoy the fantasty and go with the flow.

No doubt there will be some major plot changes in the near future (Excuse the pun) and once again reading some reviews people have missed the point, about the main character supporting the corporate the whole point and no doubt will will see some U Turns watching as this can only get better...
  • Good Science Ficition, a rare thing

Most Sci Fy shows don't last long anymore, a sad thing, even the scify channel is mostly dumb shows these days. I am glad their is still one good scyfy show that has survived. I really like it, my biggest fear was it wouldn't come back for a second season. I love it. I am a dire hard fan and I want to see it last many season!
  • very good

the best sci-fi for this year until now
  • VERY promising

First 2-3 episodes I thought this was going to be another bland attempt at sci fi / drama. I was waiting for the Greys Anatomy style music / stupid romantic entanglements, sub-par acting (like in Falling Skies), stupid/borderline moronic explanations of events (FRINGE). That Rachel Nichols looks amazing just made me even more skeptic - anticipating another "Dark Angel" type show relying on pretty eye candy rather than respectable script writing. After a couple of episodes though, I find myself genuinely interested in the plot. The storyline hasn't made complete fubar of things (although time travel is always tricky to get right). The acting is actually completely passable. In fact, Erik Knudsen does a great job in my opinion. Rachel Nichols does in fact come off as a future gov agent. Generally, female action dolls look completely fake (Gellar, Dushku etc) but Nichols has a certain je ne sais quoi ... she reminds me a bit of Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs. Even Victor Webster who I initially thought was going to be a major douche is in fact not bad at all. They still have some time to f*** everything up real bad story wise, but Im hoping they wont create too many non-functional time paradoxes. So far everything looks very promising, unless of course the show is axed like most other shows based on semi/intelligent script writing (Firefly, SG:U etc)..
  • Anticipation

Keep checking to find out when season 2 starts.

Waiting in anticipation.

Come on, don't keep us in suspense, lets get it on.

Hurry up, Damn it!
  • Promising

This is a new series and I really like what I'm seeing.

I mean, what's not to like? Super hot kick ass semi-bionic future girl sent back in time to save mankind fight bad guys that come also from the future. No, it's not the terminator, and the future isn't toast, unless you count corporate democracy as doom.

The scenes depicting the future are really well created, and you gotta love seeing "cancer man" from X-Files back on the screen.

Somewhat a mixture between Bionic Woman and Terminator.
  • Good but I will have to wait and see.

Good so far and hopefully they keep it up for the rest of the season.

• Excellent, excellent !!!

I haven't enjoyed watching a show that much for a long time.

First there is Rachel Nichols whom I first saw in the last season of Alias where she did a pretty good job with a role that was not easy. Then she kind went off the radar except some small roles like in Charly Wilson's war. And I thought it was a waste. And at last she is given the lead. And she doesn't disappoint. She is really great as Kiera Cameron.

Second the predicament of the show is really interesting and as so much potential. It's just up to the writers to exploit it.

And lastly, the show questions the fundamentals of our society. And Kiera is right in the middle of this questioning with no clue about what is right or wrong.
  • SyFy just loves to lie to it's customers

Don't you just love how SyFy calls this an "original" show when it's already aired in full in another country.

Still, good show.
  • season 1

i totally enjoyed every episodes of season 1. casts are good, plot is good and good momentum. hope season 2 comes out soon soon soon, way to go, nice job.
  • Really good Scifi show

Well, a lot of unanswered questions after this first season, intriguing ones ... and disturbing ones. We're not sure of anything, and that's good ! At the end of each episodes I had been thinking "hell ! it's already over !"

Let's face it; there are few scifi shows nowadays (too many vampires and other magic beasts for my taste), but cheer up ! Continuum is definitely a very good scifi show
  • Season 1 was Great, S2 has now started......

WooHoo! First S2 Ep. was Awesome. Have been looking forward to this for quite some time! :-)
  • LOVE this show!

One of the best shows on TV. Love it! So glad that shows like this one are created and available on Netflix.
  • Corporations

I love this show, but after reading all the reviews there seems to be a common thread. Who do you root for Liber8 who is trying to protect our rights albeit by ruthless tactics or Kiera who is trying to protect the future and get herself home? But I feel we are all missing the bigger picture which is the Corporate Congress of the future which controls everything. I think we can see that this is already well under way in America and I am sure Canada and other countries also. They control the Congress and the Senate of both parties even if we don't want to admit it. we are seeing the start now of what are own reality will bee in are kids futures, scary to think about!
  • The smartest action/scifi since Fringe!

This show is my favorite scifi since Fringe ended, except where Fringe had a weak 1st season, I was absorbed by Continuum immedlately - It is one of several of new waves of scifi-esque shows but it does everything well!

I'll agree with some of the other reviewers that the anti-corporation ideology can be a little thick...

Other than that one criticism, I have only great things to say about Continuum! The acting is top-shelf compared to other scifis (cough, Defiance), the story is moving along at quite a brisk pace - they don't lean on the procedural 'criminal-of-the-week' near as much as most other shows (even Fringe did it more).

My only hope is that they continue to explore the other timelines, or at least discuss timetravel and the future as the show goes on. Liber8 seems to be failing but I have no doubt there will be more depth by the end of the season :D

• love it

by far the best sci-fi show for a long time on tv after farscape
  • A truly amazing show. I was riveted through the entire first season!

This is such an awesome show. I can't believe that is is in question for a second season. It addresses current topics, presents tech in a realistic light (not good or evil, just is) and poses/presents real issues we must deal with TODAY.
  • Just Gets Better

Season 2 was pretty tight and ended strongly, having seen the first episode of season 3 this show is only getting stronger.
  • Good but

The Sci-Fi part is getting a little bit dim. But it''s a better series than the rest that are on tight now (Defiance?)
  • a intellegent thriller like no other, that evolves from one spectacular plot to another

GREAT ACTING, GREAT STORY, GREAT SPECIAL EFFECTS, GREAT ACTION SEQUENCES AND MOST OF ALL ITS IN CANADA!
  • Rocked me from inside!!

The story is not only about the time travel but It is a indication of how future will become more and more controlled by corporations that are controlling today individual privacy. The corporations, who are distributing day to day life technologies and playing with the social engineering of human life, are only creating back door in those technologes for using human as a tool for collection of so many information and market in product world. It is seemed to be right at some instant we will become addicted and dependent on those technogies who are great for our life and improve this too. But, these will be the main source of exploiting these technology as their own benefit. And the black box of technology that has some backdoor, we will not able to modify. This is the social engineering --playing with our mind. That is we!!
  • Number one series

I liked it from the beginning and started to looking forward to each next episode. Even though I know that there must be a turn after the last episode with everyone in these seethrough cages, I keep wondering what it might be.

I felt bad after the last show. But then I didn't know there would be a third season... so there is hope. Maybe another Kiera from the future or other timeline will save everybody. Who knows what wil happen.

As far as the paradoxes: I don't believe in that. I think there are two major things happening with the future: either, everything they do will lead to the future they want to prevent, or an alternative future will pop up. There is this interesting story of (I thought Heinlein, but I might be wrong) a man who went through so many altarnative timelines, that in the end he met his female self. Meaning: anything can happen. So in continuum. I'm looking forward to the next season....
  • WHEN WILL IT BE BACK??

I am addicted! First 10 episodes, AWESOME!
  • The Best New Series

This isn't just the best sci-fi series this season but the best of all genres! The pilot ep drew me in from the beginning and each episode is interesting and thought provoking and the show does it with a good story lines and acting, not nudity and sex like most other shows.

I'm sad to see that the show is on Haitus/TBD. Why is it that a show that depends on brainpower and not loinpower can't make it anymore?

This show is too good to be axed.

• A Show that started as just a Good Sci-Fi "Fix" , but it gradually became one of the best Sci-Fi Series

This Series from the start had great potential ,storytelling wise . Time Travel from a dystopian future , where everything is controlled from Companies , and there is no thing such as privacy , where the technology is embedded in human bodies to the point that can record your memories and erase the one that are inconvenient for the system. The irony is that the "hero" believes that this is the right way , and the Baddies are trying to change this future and are considered terrorists. But at the first season the show didn't deliver this potential , but it show some glimpses of it . Overall was of course a very good show to Watch . The first few episodes of season two seamed somehow disconnected , and not on par to first season . The main problem till then was the excess of the Melodrama , and a hefty part on an episode was consumed on kieras Emotions about her husband and Child while she was stranded on another era. And it was much more than it needed , making the show more of a soap opera than a sci-fi . But Suddenly a miracle Happened . At Episode S02E05 they decided to change the excessive drama , and focus more at Kiera's Character Development at the current timeline , and since then every episode was getting better and better coming to the last episodes which were really really great , and the incredible final Episode which is one of the best episodes in sci-fi TV in general . The only problem with the show , is that most of the secondary characters are a little Flat and one dimensional . But i Believe that the main Characters Carlos and Alec are depicted excellent . At First i thought that Rachel Nichols was not so effective for the role , not liking very much her depiction of Kiera . And any point she could be so cold and distad and at the next second, she would be a crying and overwhelmed , with nothing in the between . Nichols is a Gorgeous and astonishing Woman , one of the most beautiful actresses , and my first thought was that Kiera should be Miss Earth 2077 not a cop. But I was Wrong , as i didn't get the character at first . Watching the Show , i understanded that this is how a Woman and mother cut from her family and placed in an "allien" place should Be . So Now i Believe that Nichols is really Great as Kiera and has done a great job , Although i don't agree with the tendency in Tv-series Casting that all their main actors -actresses are so over the average good looking , even when the role doesn't require that . Anyway depending how they handle things in season 3 , we might start talking for a Sci-Fi Classic
  • Can't wait for next season!

We just discovered this series and are look forward to seeing where they go with season 3. Could be good, but could be great! Wish they would quit having her cry so much, give Carlos more lens time. Yes, there are holes in the plot, but it's good, interesting fun anyway! Good crew! Lots of possibilities here. Big corporations vs. big government? -Both equally bad, but it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Might give all of us a better understanding about which way we really want to go.
< 1 2 3 4