Conviction

Pilot

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 03, 2006 on NBC

• Conviction!

This is the first episode of the season. Nick Potter joins the District Attorney's Office as the newest ADA. ADA Christina Finn is facing her first trial, while Deputy Bureau Chief Mike Randolph tries a murder and drug trafficing case. This was a good first episode. You get a scense of the kind of storylines that you will be able to expect from this show. Other than the character Alex Cabot, you do not know very much about the ADAs that work under her. They could have given us some back story on the characters. And they really needed to explain to viewers who knew Alex Cabot from Law and Order Special Victims Unit how she managed to get out of witness protection.
  • Judging how most good shows pilots suck this was a very good pilot.

If you judge a show by it's pilot then you'll never find a good show. Married with children, Desperate Housewives, many other great shows have one thing in common: A so-so pilot. Pilot's are made to get the idea not to be an episode to base the series off of. If I judged a series by it's pilot I wouldn never find a tv show I like. With that aside it was intresting, I love the courtroom scences and it made me watch it. Great pilot good story and not a snooze-fest it was drama that made you want to watch not just to find out what happens. Always held my attention. I have only this episode and i'm sorry I missed the other one's but I will from now on be locked in on Friday nights.
  • I followed the candy but stayed for the whole course.

Ok after seeing Eric Balfour in \\\"Six Feet Under\\\" there was just something about him that I really liked, I just felt that he never got his chance to really shine and show us what he was made of. He was the reason that I started watching Convictions . . . but not the main reason why I stayed.

I would have loved to have gotten to know the character a little better before they killed him off, I think I would have liked him a lot. Suffice it to say, I think that the Pilot did what it was supposed to do. It piqued interest because I certainly wanted to see how they would manage after such an integral character was removed from the system and from their lives. So I stayed . . . and I have not wavered since.

So all in all . . . I would say that this is a good one.
  • Meet the new cast of the latest Law and Order Spin Off

Having never seen any episode of the Law and Order series prior to this version, I think Conviction is doing quite well. The characters could have used a bit more developing in the pilot, but hopefully the promise of keeping this about their lives will hold true. There was a surprising twist in having a semi-crucial (not so much anymore) character killed off in the pilot which is a bold move you don't often see. The case involving the beaten woman made me roll my eyes and say "give me a break" when she wanted to pay his bail, but I did love the line "The man who did this to you will be punished to the fullest extent of the law". J. August Richards makes me happy. I have high hopes for this show so don't let me down Dick Wolf.
  • Leftovers....

I've been a big fan of Dick Wolf's stable of legal/crime dramas for a long time.
    It was just last year that the latest Law & Order offspring came and went with barely a whimper. Even so, the handful of episodes aired were considerably better thought out and written than the pilot episode of "Convictions".
    I didn't get drawn into any story line as I do with the L&O franchise. There really wasn't any story to be interested in. The fact that they tried to give each of the ensemble their own story in a single episode, even Dick Wolf can't pull this off (maybe even Merlin couldn't pull that kind of magic off).
    You'd think that with all this guy's experience at 60 minute drama he wouldn't produce a pilot that seemed so confused with itself (or with such 2nd rate acting). 3 minutes per character story isn't enough to hold the viewer's interest or make them care enough about anyone or anything to tune in for second helpings. The only thing that will keep us coming back is the hope that this will miraculously turn into something worth watching. It's as if Dick Wolf has been saving all the scraps of paper with ideas from his other hit shows and just empied them out one day and said...well, we can just hire some people to act out these snipets of unused ideas and call it a show. Not gonna work, there are too many channels on television to sit and watch what seem to be leftovers.
    Enough brooding, rapidly aging adolescent characters. Give us strong characters like those on SVU or CI and halfway complete story lines.
    If L&O Trial by Jury could be cancelled so quickly I don't see this show lasting half as long. Unless they hire stronger actors and better writers.
  • An excellent example of a pilot episode.

For a pilot episode I feel it was well done. Pilot eps by their nature need to do a lot of introduction and do tend to be boring. We got a peek at all the characters with a lot of action. There was a lot going on, but it's nice to have a show not treat the audience like a bunch of idiots.

I think it was smart not to reveal much about Alex Cabot in the first episode. Many viewers are already aquainted with her, and she is the reason many tuned in. Because pilot episodes are rarely the best, I think it was smart not to reveal how Alex came out of the witness protection program on the first night out. This alone should guarantee repeat viewers who are waiting for that answer.

I have watched a lot of pilot eps and most stink. I have found that the best pilots just jump right in, and I feel that Conviction accomplished that.
  • Has potential but needs tweaking

I must say I enjoyed this pilot, but it didn't have me riveted to the screen. I'd like to see a couple more episodes before I make a final judgment, but here's what I think so far. The show has the all intrigue of its L&O predecessors, but lacks the edginess of The Practice/Boston Legal or the quirkiness of Ally McBeal. Those shows were/are successful because they offered something unique, but in its pilot, Conviction didn't go far enough beyond ordinary. Lots of characters were introduced, all with different roots and on different paths. The problem is that they all blended together. The dialogue needs to be sharper, wittier - then we can grab onto the characters we love and the ones we love to hate.
  • One word: BORING

5.7
    I kept flipping to other stations watching anyhting but this boring pilot. I love all things Dick Wolfe but this show was bad. I did not care about the guy who got gunned down because I wasn't given the chance to care. Once again there are too many people on the show and you don't get a real sense of them except for the Potter guy.
  • Greatly good show!

It was a great show and great to see Alex Cabot back where she belongs
    As I think SVU fans have missed her way, way, too much you know!
    The show is not Law & Order mode but is close to being there
    Since it concentrates on the characters rather than the stories
    But it has a lot of promise if given the right stories, scripts, and acting
    Hope it stays on for a pretty long time!!
  • A pilot should introduce and interest: that's the basic reason for being: you introduce new characters, new lives, new stories...

Conviction did a good job with that, except where Alexandra Cabot is concerned. I am sure I'm not the only SVU fan who watched the pilot and sat waiting for the explanation of her return to Manhattan...only to have no answer in the end.

Yes, there were pieces about her return in newspapers, etc - but no show should rely on the press to cover the angles of their storylines. I feel this was a poor call there. Without focusing on the Cabot angle, there could have been a mention, a scene where someone from her past stops by to say it's good to have her back. Anything but the silence we had.

Other than that, there was enough going on to make us venture guesses and wonder why such and such is the way they are. And it was nice to see Elias Koteas on TV, even if just for such a short-lived stint!
  • I like the "feel" of this show. It's lively, and a grand departure from the Law & Order franchise. A charismatic ensemble and some great character actor performances.

I really like this show. For one thing, it doesn't take the audiences collective intelligence
    for granted. For another, it's a refreshing change not to hear the typical "dum dum" music for scene changes that is prevelant in the Law & Order universe, but a background soundtrack that was as interesting for it's choices as the overall show itself.
    The cast is populated by a attractive ensemble
    of talented actors. As this was the pilot show, I saw many elements setting the characters up for some pretty interesting personal growth. This coupled with thoughtful and at times amusing supporting performances( with the exception of Doug.E.Doug who was a bit "over the top" and out of sync with the more subtle performances in the piece, ie: Joe Grifasi as the Judge)
    I'll keep watching