A Copper Community
BBC America (ended 2013)

I regret to inform you that BBC America has decided to pull the plug on its period drama Copper after only two seasons, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The series followed Detective Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones) in post-Civil War era New York City as he struggled with his own personal demons and the demons that plagued the slums of Five Points New York. The Season 2 finale on September 22 will now serve as a series finale.

Though the series added stars like Donal Logue, Billy Baldwin, and Alfre Woodard and took on a more serialized form of storytelling during Season 2, it was never the ratings success BBC America hoped it would be. Which is a shame, because Weston-Jones' face is nice to gaze at while you're trying to figure out what he's saying without closed captioning (sometimes I'm really bad with accents, so what?).

What do you think of this news? Will you miss Copper?

104 Comments
Comments (104)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
so disappointed. loved this show and tom weston-jones!
Flag
Boooooooo!!!
Flag
NOOOOOOOO!
Flag
Can anyone tell me if they ended it properly or did they just leave the fans hanging? I have o lay seen a few episodes of this snow aand i would llove to cinto ueto watch it.
Flag
yea they ended it the best they could, being such a lame idea. now I will have more time to watch the kardashians
Flag
I think they left the fans hanging just in case it's ever picked back up. which would be totally cool.
Flag
It is a shame but I still would not have wanted to miss the episodes they completed
Flag
Oh no again; fist the killing and now copper..
Too bad..they are both such good series..blaaa
Flag
What a rotten end to the show.The morons in charge could at least have given them one more episode to try and tie it up a bit .Just shows that the executives have no care for the viewers just their own egos.
Flag
This is why I fear getting invested in any of bloody television shows being produced these days. You find a show that's well produced and holds your interest, you love it, and then it's cancelled without warning. Screw all of the networks out there. No wonder ratings have declined for all the channels...people are sick of investing time in shows that won't last long and are now, like me, just waiting to watch anything that will have a nice handful of seasons to watch online or on DVD. Now I fear BBCA will also cancel Ripper Street, which I'm patiently awaiting. Last year I thought this station had great promise...now, I'll be damned if I start watching another show they produce.
Flag
I love this show. It seems all the great ones get cancelled. Very sad news.
Flag
I look forward to another episode of Copper every week. I will miss it extremely and hope they change their mind!!!!
Flag
I guess we should be happy we got two season out of em. When a show gets canceled it puts it in a bad light, and practically kills any prospects of it being picked up by other networks.
Flag
I read somewhere that they were thinking about a full length movie which would be nice ... It is currently on Showcase every Sunday so I watch them still :)
Flag
Then I'm glad I can still watch reruns.
Flag
What is wrong with these dummies that run cable. My wife and love copper.
Flag
My wife and I both thought Copper was energetic, personally compelling, and immersive in terms of local color, but also disjointed in screenplay, excessive (and historically incorrect) in the "dark and gritty" department, and narratively confusing to the point of being aimless or even incomplete.

I guess we'll miss it, but frankly there's a lot of great TV out there and I wouldn't mind having the extra time to catch something better. Hell on Wheels, for example -- a show with similar weaknesses, but to a much lesser degree, allowing the strengths to shine through.
Flag
Watched the first season and thought it was OK. Turned off the second season in episode 1 after the ridiculous gratuitous back cutting and sexposition in the first 5 minutes. Didn't miss it for one second.
Flag
Argh! I am not happy at all. Loved the show. Seems so many shows are on the chopping block these days.
Flag
they hired a tv show killer, so what they expect???
Flag
Who you talkin about, Donovan? Don't know the actor's real name. Or perhaps Alfre Woodard
Flag
Yes donovan, dont know his name too... i remember this actor appear in several canceled shows kkkk
Flag
Didnt know that. He's on Sons of Anarchy now.
Flag
lets hope he doesnt kill SOA ;/ i like the show, his character is strong but to someone who watched his previous tv shows appearances, the character is the same in all of them... lol
Flag
Damn it! I just discovered the show last week and was hooked. I've binge watched every episode.
Flag
that certainly sucks
Flag
insignificant. Never even heard of the show so its irreverent for me. I won't miss something I haven't seen. It's sort of like a fat bloke getting circumcised.
Flag
Expected as much. But I shall miss Tom Weston-Jones beautiful face. Hopefully he gets in on another tv show with promise.
Flag
God! This was such a great show! I need more! You cannot end it like this!!
Flag
Sooo disappointed. A lot of shows come and go, but this one I will miss enough to comment about it :/
Flag
Bummer
Flag
WHAT! you gotta be kidding me. This is a shame, but I guess it is the norm these days, cancel the good ones and keep the crap. The directors and writers of these shows should start signing 4 season deals and if the get canned then they can shop them around since they have to make the 4 seasons anyway. It is the only way to keep the fans of shows that don't have the ratings of shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead or American Idol. 4 Season minimum would give them time to get the story to either a finish worthwhile or get it to a point they have a large enough following to sign another 4 season deal. They pay most of the money on the startup costs anyway and if the show gets popular then it would even out in the end because they would save on the actors asking for lots of cash after 2 seasons and the shows that don't work will be subsidised by the extra cash from saving on startup costs and actor pay. It would be a win for us all and no more canceling of good shows after 1 or 2 seasons!
More+
Flag
Cancel the good shows so that you can put on more of that reality crap. Way to go BBC
Flag
Say it ain't so, Kaitlin, say it ain't so!
Flag
"it ain't so, Kaitlin"
"it ain't so"
Flag
Good One.
Flag
I really enjoyed this show and it sucks immensely that it got cancelled.

Flag
OMG, they killed Copper! You bastards!
Flag
All I can hope is that Tom Fontana will now be freed up but I don't think he can ever reach the heights he did with "Oz".
Flag
can i curse now, i find a show i like and of course it gets cancelled. While crappy shows keep getitng renewed.
Flag
long as the ydont cancel ripper street which is awesome
Flag
I want to cry. I WANT TO CRY! Oh, man.
Flag
Meanwhile, "Under the Dome" is given a third season.
Flag
lol and that crap show revolution as well
Flag
Not good news. I really like this show and will miss seeing new episodes.
Flag
Well, that's too bad. I thought it was a really good show.
Flag
This was a really good show which depicted the times with vivid accuracy. It had great acting talent and decent writing. It is too bad that more people did not catch on in time.
Flag
that's why it got canned it actually had good writing!
Flag
I'm not really surprised (nobody was talking about it) but I am disappointed.
Flag
Bastards!
Flag
To say am shocked is an understatement. This show was reallly darn good!
I hope someone saves it.
Flag
if you havent followed the current season you've missed some truly great storytelling. One of my favorite shows. I wondered why there were hardly any reviews here. Now I see, no one was actually watching it. What a waste. I loved this show.
Flag
booooooo
Flag
oh no, I didn't even start watching this and it's already cancelled :( Oh well, I guess I should take it out of my list.
Flag
Decent show but Ripper Street is vastly superior, another good period crime series would be the Australian Underbelly, series' 4 and 6 are set in the Australian 20's, very good series, the other seasons are also excellent ranging from the 90s back to the 60s, who knew Australia had such a criminal past (besides England sending all their crims there for decades of course!).
Flag
For those touting the vast superiority of Ripper Street, RS is likely to follow, because its the same kind of show with the same production values. The only real difference is it has more U.K. actors.
Flag
Not really. Ripper Street airs first on BBC1 in the UK. Copper never aired in the UK. Season 2 of Ripper Street starts soon in the UK
Flag
You're talking about the venue. I'm taking about the fact that both are procedural period pieces with similar production values. Not what channels theyre on or where they aired. Either way it remains to be seen.
Flag
@layle1 and @antmorris3511- As i'm not from America I'm not too familiar with BBCA program schedules (Ashes was finished over here after season 3, MI-5 or Spooks as it was called on the BBC finished with season 10), but from what you've said and what i've read BBCA takes shows from various UK channels and airs them (Ramsay is not on BBC but Masterchef is, and Broadchurch are from a UK competitor etc.)
But if BBCA doesnt finish shows from its parent company (BBC) that have been successful in the UK then my point about a homegrown product having more backing is flawed/wrong
Flag
@Grumpyclown: Yeah, but BBCA has a nasty habit of starting programs and then leaving the audience hanging if the ratings tank, regardless of the source. They never finished MI-5, they really left us hanging on Ashes to Ashes (I could go on). Plus they have Ramsay (ad nauseam), Star Trek: TNG, Top Gear and MasterChef UK on an endless loop. This is definitely not the old BBCA I used to love with both comedies (all but gone now) and dramas filling the schedule with only a dollop of reality. I miss the quality BBCA. Nice Austin Powers ref, by the way :-)
Flag
I'm also stating that Ripper Street has more backing than Copper did. Its not a co-production, but one of their original dramas. Its also a domestic ratings success for the BBC - but we shall see
(i feel like doing an evil laugh for ending a post with "We shall see".......mwahahahahahahaha........must find a white cat to stroke in a swivel chair"
Flag
It wasn't bad, but ehh. I'm sure they'll come up with something similar in a few months, assuming Ripper Street isn't close enough. More 'The Past,' please.
Flag
well darn it there goes another one of my Sunday favorites. Darn you BBC.
Flag
That sucks, for those of you who enjoy period shows you should checkout Peaky Blinders. It just started in the UK and is set in 1920's England.
Flag
I don't understand the bad reviews for this show,each episode from season 1 to season 2 was exceptional in its own way the plot is awesome and the acting is excellent,is a shame to see another show this year away. I think im getting rid of my tv and just gonna start reading. no disappointment that way and im not relying on others to view my same stuff..
Flag
Copper was okay, but not as good as Ripper Street, so I'll get over it...
Flag
I will miss COPPER. It was perfect Summer fare.
Flag
I liked the show alright, season 1 took a while to ramp up and then it was ending and then it took a sharp turn downhill every episode into season 2, the only good plotlines were with Matthew and his wife and mother-in-law. everything else was ridiculous and overly dramatic.. and good God those were some of the worst accents, you could tell they were Canadians pretending to be Irish.. only Francis, played by the actually Irish Kevin Ryan,
had a legit accent. It was so hard for me to sit through season 2, had to fight the urge to fast forward or just stop completely. I told myself just to finish the season and then I'd be done with it anyway, so the cancellation makes no difference to me. BBC America has set the bar high with Orphan Black, if they're going to try another period drama they need to pick American or British standards and not try and mix them, and maybe not come off so Canadian.. it was just a confusing mix of countries to me.
Flag
One of my Sunday favs gone, damn.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members