Copper Forums

BBC America (ended 2013)

Official Episode Discussion: The Hudson River School 1x07

TesserT

[1]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 74
    Please use this thread to discuss the episode The Hudson River School (Sep 30). Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattgus

[2]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 14
    i guess i am forever confused with elizabeths reaction to annie's real plight. when she was dragged from the house annie said he was not her father and she and the butler seemed very concerned;then a concocted story worthy of a sociopath(which she deffinetly isn't)and now she risks her life to get her back tonite???... but finially shows her true colors of course i forgot how well annie can take care of herself. alot of forward movement with her story...actually this episode had alot of important forward moving activity...the stress and suspence of these stories are very well played. differant than your avg police proceedural..and not just because it is a period series...it plays on that of course,but the movement of the story has the components of a well structured novel.and i am an amature so i can't articulate or refrence off the top of my head why,;that's just how it feels to me...and it keeps getting better and better. the whole story of the deep meloncholy our doctors wife has,and her reticence to bring a child into her world...there may be a story brewing with a post-partum prob,or maybe just the opposite??? and then the larger story of domestic terror,corky's relationship with the murdress madam,the bigoty,the class bigoty,useing it like all people do,to make them selves feel better,or justify some aweful behavior...it goes on and on and seems near flawless! well i guess you can see i love this series...watch it get canc. lol..no i can't see that happening... well i hope there are alot more people tuning in. this series deserves alot of attention.

boom-moo

[3]Oct 2, 2012
    • level: 75
    mattgus wrote:
    i guess i am forever confused with elizabeths reaction to annie's real plight. when she was dragged from the house annie said he was not her father and she and the butler seemed very concerned;then a concocted story worthy of a sociopath(which she deffinetly isn't)and now she risks her life to get her back tonite???
    She was concerned indeed when Annie was dragged from her house but I think she didn't believe the girl's plight that the man wasn't her father.

Despite Annie has replied her care and kindness (maybe not perfect but Elizabeth doesn't know better) with lies, abuse and awful behaviour, Elizabeth wouldn't let her go with a child abuser. However, I think she was partly relieved to send her away because the girl proved to be more troublesome than she had imagined and also because the girl's fixation with Kevin.

Then when she learnt that the girl was right and that man wasn't her father, she freaked out (both because of the fate she had condemned the girl to and also because Corky would be really crossed) and tried to remedy the situation.

Elizabeth situation isn't easy in that triangle: she is a good woman and cares for the girl but at the same she is attracted to Keving and having the girl around isn't bringing him any closer as she might have thought. I like that complexity

Xan_Ning

[4]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 3

Really liking this show. I know it's a BBC production, but someone dropped the ball on their geography. Johnson's Island is located in Sandusky Bay near Lake Erie. It's about 120 miles from the Ohio River.