Cops Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on Spike TVIn Season

The camera guy...

Lokar

[1]Dec 5, 2006
    • level: 26
    What's he supposed to do when a problem breaks out, such as, the person they're chasing does something violent?

I don't mean the common case they run into, where a drunk tries to wrestle out of the officer's grasp before getting taken down, but what if it got really crazy, like a guy pulled a gun?

I just worry about everybody's safety at that point. I was curious as to what the guidelines are for the non-police filming staff.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fredsanfordfan

[2]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 5
    Lokar wrote:
    What's he supposed to do when a problem breaks out, such as, the person they're chasing does something violent?

I don't mean the common case they run into, where a drunk tries to wrestle out of the officer's grasp before getting taken down, but what if it got really crazy, like a guy pulled a gun?

I just worry about everybody's safety at that point. I was curious as to what the guidelines are for the non-police filming staff.

The Cameraman will probally get back in the car and film the shootout from the car. And when it is over he can come out. I don't know, I just guessed

Lokar

[3]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 26

Interesting!

Thank you. 

sounddude

[4]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 68
    Lokar wrote:

It depends on the senario. If the situation looks like it will get out of hand, then the crew may be told by the officer(s) to go get back in the car. But most of the time, there's no time for that. The crews are highly trained and have even been asked by Brass in various departments to join their force, having more hours on the street than most of their officers...lol!

In all the years on the road, I never felt in great danger. But there were some tense times. Anytime an officer has to pull his gun, things get tense. But I grew up around police officers so I was accustomed to alot of it.

And yes, there are lot's of times that the officers look to the crew as a temporary help or backup until the cavalry arrives. Many times, I had to stand over suspects and keep them at bay, or stand on a meth head's legs to keep them from kicking our officer, or run and guide backup to the right place in an angry crowd, risking my own safety.

From my perspective, the most dangerous perils we faced were car accidents. Not only are you screaming down roads at very high speeds, but just driving 8 hours a day five days a week, 9 months a year, just puts you at risk to get in a car accident. And it's happened. Several in our crews have been involved in police car accidents over the 19 seasons.

In most states, there are statutes that say if an officer needs assistance, then we are compelled to help them as citizens. There are indeed times when the crew feels the officer may be in danger and will put the camera and sound gear down and stand with the officer until backup comes. I loved it!

Pokeysteve

[5]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 9

First he bends over as far as possible......kisses his ass good bye while simultaneously getting the whole shoot out on film lol seriously these camera guys have some big brass ones. Much respect.

squall780

[6]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 6
    That was interesting sounddude thanks.

PerfectDark0Fan

[7]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 18
    I remeber on an interview where the camrea guys wears a bullit proof vest for protection.

shaggylakky

[8]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 2

sounddude wrote:
    Lokar wrote:

It depends on the senario. If the situation looks like it will get out of hand, then the crew may be told by the officer(s) to go get back in the car. But most of the time, there's no time for that. The crews are highly trained and have even been asked by Brass in various departments to join their force, having more hours on the street than most of their officers...lol!

In all the years on the road, I never felt in great danger. But there were some tense times. Anytime an officer has to pull his gun, things get tense. But I grew up around police officers so I was accustomed to alot of it.

And yes, there are lot's of times that the officers look to the crew as a temporary help or backup until the cavalry arrives. Many times, I had to stand over suspects and keep them at bay, or stand on a meth head's legs to keep them from kicking our officer, or run and guide backup to the right place in an angry crowd, risking my own safety.

From my perspective, the most dangerous perils we faced were car accidents. Not only are you screaming down roads at very high speeds, but just driving 8 hours a day five days a week, 9 months a year, just puts you at risk to get in a car accident. And it's happened. Several in our crews have been involved in police car accidents over the 19 seasons.

In most states, there are statutes that say if an officer needs assistance, then we are compelled to help them as citizens. There are indeed times when the crew feels the officer may be in danger and will put the camera and sound gear down and stand with the officer until backup comes. I loved it!

wow mn u have to love u job is graet

sounddude

[9]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 68
    The crew has the option to wear ballistic resistant vests. They aren't bullet proof. They will stop some but just slow others down. But they don't have to wear them. I always wore mine except in Las Vegas, wear it's 115 degrees in the shade. I noticed the officers we rode with sat on their vests in the car. I asked why and they said it was too hot to wear them. So they sat on them until they got a "hot" call and then pulled them over their uniforms. Another bit of information about Las Vegas. After we'd take care of a call, the officers would drive to a convenience store and walk in. I thought we were going to get a drink but they kept walking up to the door where you stock the coolers. Then they opened that door and walked IN to the drink coolers. We all stood there for about then minutes to cool off and then got back in the car and took the next call. This would be our norm for the length of the venue!