Cops Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on Spike TVIn Season

Why don't they notice the camera?

ipodtom

[1]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    How come the suspects never notice or even look at or into the camera?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lokar

[2]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 26
    That's a good point. I don't really see them do that.

Evil_Dead_Ash

[3]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 9

Well, sometimes they do (I've heard 'turn that camera off' in the past). They know they're being busted; getting angry at the cameraman is'nt going to help their case.

Is the camera operator a police officer or just some dude along for the ride? I'm thinking it has to be an officer, since they go in to dangerous situations.

Edited on 11/15/2008 1:51am

tvking1

[4]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 42
    I would imagine that the camera crew and such is made up of officers or other law enforcement personnel. Even if the suspects notice the camera, most of them are probably too scared to care about it.
    Edited on 02/16/2009 8:15pm

EddieGuerreroET

[5]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 8
    Yeah i'd guess they're too distracted to notice the camera's.

LurkerPatrol

[6]May 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    I think the cops direct their attention away most of the time. I mean hell they're in your face and arresting you, your mind is not going to be worried or distracted about/by the camera.

Plus I think some might be too inebriated or tripping out to even notice in the first place.

sounddude

[7]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 69
    Hey everyone. These are all good questions and the behind the scenes are rarely revealed....until now.

I worked with the show for 9 years as a sound guy and I keep the guide here.

First, the crew in each car is a camera operator, who sits in the front passenger seat if it's a one person cruiser (if it's a two person patrol car, he sits in the back seat, on the right side). The second person is a sound mixer who always sits in the back. Since I did sound, I'd sometimes bring a pillow from the hotel and sleep back there until we'd get a call.

Second, the camera crew is not made up of law enforcement personnel. They are all professional camera and sound freelancers, many of the camera guys come out of news gathering so they are skilled in capturing things as they happen.

Third, yes, the suspects and others do see the cameras and almost always say something about it. The officer usually will tell them to not worry about the camera, they better worry about why the officer is there. Also, remember these episodes are edited down to 7 1/2 minutes each so most of their reactions to the crew would be cut out, since we are supposed to be flies on the wall anyway.

All the crews are quickly trained in rules of the show and they pick up very quickly the rules of the road. It only takes a few nights to learn what you can and shouldn't do while working on the show. They will take a new camera operator and pair him with an experienced sound guy who will show him the ropes. But yes, it's still a dangerous job because police work is dangerous and injuries do occur on occasion.

If you have any other questions about the show, feel free to ask. You may have to PM me to let me know they're in the forum as I don't normally check it.

rw
    sounddude