Coronet Blue Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Forty years later: A Mystery is Revealed. (Well, thirty actually)

mcsheridan

[1]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 8

But I just found out about it this week.

============================================================================================

The mystery is resolved in a passage about "Coronet Blue" from a biography of TV creator and writer Larry Cohen, "The Radical Allegories of an Independent Filmmaker."*

"When the Brodkin Organization took over the series, they wanted to turn it into an anthology...so they played down the amnesia aspect until there was nothing about it at all in the show. It was just Frank Converse wandering from one story to the next with no connective format at all. Anyway, the show ended after seventeen weeks and no one ever found out what 'coronet blue' meant. The actual secret is that Converse was not really an American at all. He was a Russian who had been trained to appear like an American and was sent to the U.S. as a spy. He belonged to a spy unit called "Coronet Blue". He decided to defect, so the Russians tried to kill him before he can give away the identities of the other Soviet agents. And nobody can really identify him because he doesn't exist as an American. "Coronet Blue" was actually an outgrowth of "The Traitor" episode of "The Defenders".

Larry Cohen was the "Coronet Blue" series creator and wrote the episode titled "A Dozen Demons".

*Tony Williams, "Larry Cohen: The Radical Allegories of an Independent Filmmaker" Jefferson, NC. McFarland, 1997

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tbrittreid

[2]Nov 23, 2007
    • level: 14

Well, I hate to have to do this, but I DO have to. I saw this show on its original CBS summer replacement run, fell in love with it, and can positively guarantee you that the amnesia element was not played down at all. There was one episode wherein it appeared Alden could have learned the truth about himself--or at least a good piece of it--but declined because of the unethical or immoral manner in which the information was available to him. Certainly, he was some kind of intelligence agent, and "Coronet Blue" was a code name for something--he said these words when he was pulled out of the river, just before he passed out (at least that's what the actor playing one of the two paramedics or whatever said; sounded totally unintelligible to me and to at least one professional reviewer of the day,TV Guide's Cleveland Amory, I think). But Cohen's claim of the amnesia idea being all but eliminated destroys the credibility of the rest of his statement.

UPDATE, 11/18/2010: It has occurred to me that Cohen's claimed explanation could not have been used if a resolving episode had been filmed, not under the censorship standards of 1960s US television. Having a TV series' hero turn out to have been a bad guy, especially a "Red agent," would not have been allowed then, and Cohen would--or at least should--have known that going in.

Edited on 11/18/2010 2:00pm

DojinFan_2K

[3]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 13

I'd never thought that someone actually revealed the long-lost secret of the 60's show, Coronet Blue. I'm glad someone took the time to come up with a plausible explanation of the series.

Thank you very much!

jimcrowl2

[4]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 2

I'm glad it's been revealed- always thought "not fair" that they ended the series without telling the rest of the story. I watched all the episodes when they first came out, but have not seen it aired since. Are any of the episodes available on the internet?